Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so how much do you reckon it costs the gov to send around a leaflet to every registered voter house in the country... ~8 million https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-06-17a.596&s=general+election+cost+litir#g597.q

it only cost 1,800 to sign up as European candidate...

Find out which party best represents your views for European Elections https://euandi2019.eu

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Find out which party best represents your views for European Elections https://euandi2019.eu

Gives me every party except DDI and Renua at 60% or above. Feck knows what that means.

I also think they may have taken some rather odd sources of their data for comparisons. AAA/PBP are second for me; when I'd rather resign my right to vote than give them a preference.

Its "radar" thing is skewed as they asked two questions on environmental topics and use that to make a lot of the decision.

L1011 wrote: »

Its "radar" thing is skewed as they asked two questions on environmental topics and use that to make a lot of the decision.

did you alter the question weighting (I didnt)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

did you alter the question weighting (I didnt)

Not enough clearly - only did a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Gives me every party except DDI and Renua at 60% or above. Feck knows what that means.

I also think they may have taken some rather odd sources of their data for comparisons. AAA/PBP are second for me; when I'd rather resign my right to vote than give them a preference.

It's just down to basic policies. Most credible political entities tend to agree to some level on a lot of things so there'll be crossover support for anyone who does it. Unless you're way out on the fringes of course! Easiest answer is to look up parties you seem to "support"!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

blackwhite wrote: »
    Flyer in from Eamonn Murphy today. I doubt even Iona would fund this level of nuttiness.

Gemma O’Doherty, Ben Gilroy and the rest look positively sane in comparison.

I got one yesterday and it's the most disgusting $hite that's ever landed in the letter box, pure and utter bile, see https://irishelectionliterature.com/2019/04/30/leaflet-from-eamonn-murphy-independent-dublin-ep2019/. Read the comments below the flyer!!

If my daughter had picked it up and read it I'd feel justified in boxing the head off Eamonn Murphy and whoever placed such sick language and imagery into a house where kids could easily have read it.

I seriously hope he or one of his team know on my door. I kept the flyer (hidden) beside the door and look forward to delivering it back where it came from with some focused language of my own accompanying it.

What a d1ckhead.

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Got a flyer today from Mark Durkan for Fine Gael which confused me, given he's a former SDLPer and their new venture with Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,929 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

awec wrote: »
    Got a flyer today from Mark Durkan for Fine Gael which confused me, given he's a former SDLPer and their new venture with Fianna Fail.

Saw the writing on the wall like Austin Currie before him and went for a soft FG seat in Europe.
    He has no defined political allegiance, just fond of the comfy seat in my opinion FF FG Lab, anyone who will have him really.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

He hasn't a prayer I reckon. Clare Daly will mop up the northside vote, You would imagine Frances Fitzgerald will get a bit. Lynn Boylan should keep her seat while the last one is probably between Andrews and Gary Gannon, although I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ciaran Cuffe is competitive for the Greens either.

He'll need Frances Fitzgerald to get a big surplus I reckon, which I don't see either. Daly and Boylan will top the poll from my educated guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭blackwhite

A small selection from the Dublin candidates on RTÉ Week in Politics this morning.
    Cuffe and Andrews coming across the strongest IMO - with White and Boylan acquitting themselves well also.
    Durkan very poor - seems unwilling to give a hard opinion on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Faugheen wrote: »
    He hasn't a prayer I reckon. Clare Daly will mop up the northside vote, You would imagine Frances Fitzgerald will get a bit. Lynn Boylan should keep her seat while the last one is probably between Andrews and Gary Gannon, although I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ciaran Cuffe is competitive for the Greens either.

He'll need Frances Fitzgerald to get a big surplus I reckon, which I don't see either. Daly and Boylan will top the poll from my educated guess.

Hard to see Gannon getting critical mass - Andrews will get a traditional FF vote, Cuffe will get a substantial green-friendly vote, White and Gannon will get their small party vote and a few hangers-on.

blackwhite wrote: »
    A small selection from the Dublin candidates on RTÉ Week in Politics this morning.
    Cuffe and Andrews coming across the strongest IMO - with White and Boylan acquitting themselves well also.
    Durkan very poor - seems unwilling to give a hard opinion on anything.
    I think Durkan is a profile raising effort and to help Fitzgerald in transfers. White has always given a good impression but just can't see him attracting enough votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think Durkan is a profile raising effort and to help Fitzgerald in transfers. White has always given a good impression but just can't see him attracting enough votes.

Those of us of a certain age will remember Austin Currie's underwhelming presidential campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think Durkan is a profile raising effort and to help Fitzgerald in transfers.
    That makes sense from a FG pov, but what's in it for him? Why would he take take on a campaign like this to help out a party that he had no real connection with? Is he naive enough to think that he has a real chance of a getting a couple of years on the gravy train?

Seanad seat next time FG have them going probably

Those of us of a certain age will remember Austin Currie's underwhelming presidential campaign.
    As was Gay Mitchell's. Presidential is not the same as other elections and typically a bad one to draw conclusions from.

Seanad seat next time FG have them going probably

he was considered for the Seanad first but the only slot FG had was on the agriculture panel which he wouldn't be have the 'knowledge and experience' for https://www.thejournal.ie/mark-durkan-fine-gael-european-elections-4523626-Mar2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Watching the Week in Politics- that Lynne Boylan is a joke, typical SF doom monger opposed to everything, stirring sensationalist populist non sense but yet wants to be out there with the head in the trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Faugheen wrote: »

Cuffe will poll better than Gannon I think. It also wouldn't surprise me if FG ended up with zero seats running with Durkan.

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »
    Cuffe will poll better than Gannon I think. It also wouldn't surprise me if FG ended up with zero seats running with Durkan.

Doubt it, there’s a quota there and FG are very strong in Dublin.

The Gemma O’Doherty nutter is running I see. The looney tune vote will be split, Hermann Kelly also going. Oh and so is Ben Gilroy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

65% renua is the highest for me - roflcopters

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Im glad that website actually acknowledges that Ireland has no right (how renua is even on the list is beyond me, and how im an 83% match is beyond me) even the EU acknowledges that FG and FF are centre left pro EU.

479599.jpeg

The EU didn't decide where to classify parties; the University of Lucerne did. The fact that it has PBP to the right (slightly) of Labour would indicate the validity of their decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭MFPM

Im glad that website actually acknowledges that Ireland has no right (how renua is even on the list is beyond me, and how im an 83% match is beyond me) even the EU acknowledges that FG and FF are centre left pro EU.

479599.jpeg

The idea that FG are centre left is absurd, FF tends to don left rhetoric went it suits them.

The EU didn't decide where to classify parties; the University of Lucerne did.
    apparently UCD masters students did http://www.ucd.ie/spire/newsandevents/euandivoteradviceapp/
    Masters students in Dr Cross' Politics of European Governance module contributed to the big task of coding Irish political party policies for the app.
    https://twitter.com/ucdpolitics/status/1125697600735281153

MFPM wrote: »
    The idea that FG are centre left is absurd, FF tends to don left rhetoric went it suits them.

Name two right wing things fg have actually done in this election cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭MFPM

Name two right wing things fg have actually done in this election cycle.

Seriously???? They've just announced they are going to subsidise rural broadband up to 3Bn and the private sector will run and own it - the state will never own the network - essentially they have agreed to a private monopoly.

They have established the LMA which which is essentially the privatisation of public land.

They have undermined building regs for apartments after intensive lobbying by various private sector interests to facilitate apartment building simply to make it more profitable...they introduced and continue to rely on HAP to provide social and affordable housing.

They are facilitaing the privatisation of 10% (to start with) of Dublin Bus routes.

On a political level Coveney has publicly supported Guaido's US backed attempted coup in Venezuela....

We can go on if you like...As I said it's absurd to consider FG as centre left.

• Advertisement

Government spending on infrastructure and spending on housing the poor is right wing... ive heard it all now.

Advertisement