Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, Drogheda seems to have turned into a war zone then....

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

IvoryTower wrote: »
    People have taken drugs since forever, it will never be simply stopped
    whippet wrote: »
    plus if there were no drugs to be sold gangs would find something else to make money and cause chaos - fuel, drink, tobacco, counterfeit clothes, sex, protection etc.

There has always been scrotes, always will be scrotes - gangs, violence and crime have been around since man started walking on two legs
    Of course. But it's never happened anywhere.

I'm sure people thought the same doing Prohibition. It's never gonna happen in our lifetime. Let's do something practical rather than thinking that more guards on the street or another anti drug ad campaign are going to do anything. The gangs are clearly acting with impunity

Let's call a spade a spade. Anyone who buys the stuff these gangs deal in is complicit in this young lads murder and all the related murders. You can't just wash your hands and say 'sure, we've always taken drugs, bought counterfeit fags etc etc'. I'm sure he is a great loss to his immediate family but from what is reported of his criminal life to date, sadly no great loss to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Don't know if this was him, but I saw it posted in the gangland shooting thread.

Whoever this young man is/was, they were a charmer by all accounts:

https://www.herald.ie/news/courts/i-will-burn-them-in-bed-boy-bailed-over-threat-37617849.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Let's call a spade a spade. Anyone who buys the stuff these gangs deal in is complicit in this young lads murder and all the related murders. You can't just wash your hands and say 'sure, we've always taken drugs, bought counterfeit fags etc etc'. I'm sure he is a great loss to his immediate family but from what is reported of his criminal life to date, sadly no great loss to society.

Drugs are that easy to get these days that I reckon if they were all just legalised and heavily regulated, you'd wipe the floor with the whole lot of these gangs overnight.

Yeah, they can move on to other endeavours but none will be as lucrative as the drug's trade.

Anyone who are taking drugs are finding them and taking them regardless of their legal status.

I genuinely wonder if the dodgy fags sales have fallen massively in the last couple of years. Hardly anyone who I know used to get them still does.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭leko99

Can anyone give us a breakdown of the two gangs involved please?? its all really confusing.

So far i have got...
    Gang A
    Maguires (keane mulready)

Gang B
    PC
    Boylans

Is there 2 gangs in Dublin backing both the Drogheda gangs up? Where does the Kinehans come into it.

• Advertisement

leko99 wrote: »
    Can anyone give us a breakdown of the two gangs involved please?? its all really confusing.

So far i have got...
    Gang A
    Maguires (keane mulready)

Gang B
    PC
    Boylans

Is there 2 gangs in Dublin backing both the Drogheda gangs up? Where does the Kinehans come into it.

How can people use a forum but haven’t a clue how to google?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

A forum is a place to discuss topics, ask questions etc.

If we all went to google, Boards.ie would be a very quiet place.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

I read a interesting book written by a British policeman who spent the majority of his career undercover with drug gangs around the UK in the 2000's. His conclusion was that the level of violence these gangs use on rivals (and their own who tout) only increases as the money at stake has grown immensely, and that the tactics police have traditionally use to infiltrate them don't work anymore as they are hyper vigilant, surveillance conscious and rule their areas with fear, so nobody will give police smallest bits of information anymore.

His only solution was to legislate for the majority of drugs and take the trade out of criminals hands, as the police will never be able to conquer it and hideous violence, like this, will continue to happen and become more frequent.

Book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Cop-Bad-Neil-Woods/dp/1785034758

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

I have to agree, did Reagan win the war on drugs or what? Yep, with all the might and money the US threw about, not to mention some serious foul play on their pary they never managed to halt it a little, you would be fooling yourself to think anything other than legalized control would stop them.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    A forum is a place to discuss topics, ask questions etc.

If we all went to google, Boards.ie would be a very quiet place.

Context!
    There are so many pages and pages of assumptions and Initials, make the lazy bastards search like everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭whippet

BarryD2 wrote: »

i'm not saying people who buy their weekend bag of coke are not complicit - what I am saying is that there will always be criminal gangs and ways for them to make money.

People who buy washed fuel, sex, illegal smokes, counterfeit clothing are also complicit as they are funding criminal gangs to do the same nasty stuff at the drug dealers.

Unfortunately crime is part of society - it's how we deal with it is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ballsdeep69

my thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I could be wrong but I don't recall any turf war deaths over green diesel or counterfeit clothes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Helicopter over Grange Rath a little while ago, shining a spotlight down (either onto the Boulevard or Stameen).

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Helicopter over Grange Rath a little while ago, shining a spotlight down (either onto the Boulevard or Stameen).

It's been up for about a half hour now, touring the usual spots.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I tell you one thing for certain, I won't be beeping or road raging anybody as I drive around the town, you wouldn't know what lunatic you'd inadvertently piss off without even realising.

Helicopter up again over town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I could be wrong but I don't recall any turf war deaths over green diesel or counterfeit clothes.

Oddly enough there was at least one in this country over those "charity" clothes collection banks a few years ago but agree with your point. I think the only solution at this stage is some kind of legalisation. If you can't beat them, join them, and we definitely can't beat them. Billions upon billions has gone into the war against drugs around the world... it hasn't made a dent in it. Any legalisation though, must be done at an EU level, not just little ol' Ireland.

I don't know how Drogheda will recover from this. It's going to take generations!

Scotty # wrote: »
    I don't know how Drogheda will recover from this. It's going to take generations!

For one, there'd have to be a desire from the government to start recovering.

Unfortunately, I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest there's any desire at all. I see Leo is due in town today, but would he have any interest in being here if not for this all kicking up a notch right as an election was called? He'll take a few photos today, hope it dies down again for a few weeks, and go right back to ignoring us once the election is over.

Fact is, the problems in the town are far more deep rooted than are fixable on a small level. Decades of underinvestment, in education, in employment, etc, have led us to this.

Mind, that's not to say Drogheda was amazing till last week. The whole dismembering of the body is a horrific, visceral act, graphic enough to put a "sexy" spin on the story for the press, both nationally and internationally.

But let's not act as if Drogheda was some bastion of humanity before this week. This thread itself is two years old now.

The gang war isn't even the start of the problems. It's a symptom of the issues which have plagued it for decades. Growing up in Drogheda, it's always been obvious there's certain estates you avoid, certain types of people that are more common here than would be in most towns. The sheer number of council estates, the sheer number of people who have been brought up to believe unemployment, kids while teenagers, a life on the dole, is utterly unavoidable. Generations being brought up by generations who believe there's no vertical movement in the class system; you're born in a council estate in Drogheda, you'll die in a council estate in Drogheda, and the only way to make a decent living is to turn to more morally dubious methods. I went to school with kids who were counting down the days till they could drop out, sign on, knock up a few girls and settle into their life of benefits.

To start the process of recovery, there'd need to be an entirely new philosophy installed right at the top of the Irish political system. One which begins pumping crazy levels of money into things like housing, policing, rehabilitation schemes, education...things which cannot be fixed by locals with kind hearts. Unfortunately, we're ruled over by a political class who would rather keep everyone as close to the bread line as possible; earning just about to enough to rent accommodation (usually from them), while not earning enough to actually own a house or build a life of independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

What a joke of a headline from the Mirror
    Pat Flanagan column: From the town I loved so well to the cocaine capital of Ireland, Drogheda has become Bogota-on-the-Boyne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Podgey87

2 people shot in Dublin. Seriously injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Apparently pc arrested and charged with murder

Grossness aside they really botched this up. How could they have possibly thought they would get away it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,980 ✭✭✭✭event

The only positive thing to come from all of this is pressure on politicians and Gardai to deal with this situation instead of just condemning it.

I dont think there is any pressure on Gardai. The guards are doing what they can, believe me. If they were backed a bit more we might see this stop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

delly wrote: »
    I tell you one thing for certain, I won't be road raging anybody as I drive around the town.

Unfortunate choice of words

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭ghost of ireland past

Ed Calderon. a security expert from Mexico, was on the Joe Rogan podcast a few days ago. The problems in Mexico have got really bad, the police, military and government are corrupt and work for various cartels. Cartels run parts of the country, and drive around in those jeeps with guns mounted on the back.

There are now lots of illegal cannabis grows in the US, on public land outdoors, run by cartel members, which weren't there even only a few years ago. The situation continues to escalate all the time.

Billions of dollars at stake.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Homer wrote: »
    Unfortunate choice of words

That's actually a well made point, post suitably modified.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

Whatever became of the young fella who stabbed 7 on West Street back in 09 I think it was??

Did he ever end up involved in all this?

Could been one of The Kinks.

See news reporting an arrest has been made in the kids murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Saying PC was picked up last night on unrelated bail issues warrant but he is prime suspect for KMW.

• Advertisement

PC for breech of bail terms

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2020/0120/1108596-drogheda-arrest/

Advertisement