Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, Drogheda seems to have turned into a war zone then....

Options
  • 12-11-2018 12:06am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭

...at least, more so than usual.

Bull Ring shut down all afternoon due to a "suspicious device" under a car. Then this evening, an explosion in Moneymore, with helicopters buzzing overhead. Article earlier I read said that the bomb is the eighth incident since Thursday night involving two traveler families that seem to have declared war on each other, violently.

Sad it needs to be said, but stay safe everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Place has gone mental

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

A matter of time until some innocent person gets seriously injured or worse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm seeing two different stories now.

5 men arrested for stabbing a man in his twenties
    and 5 men arrested for kidnapping a man in his twenties.

I presume its the same five guys but the story is getting reported in different ways.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    two traveler families that seem to have declared war on each other, violently.

Sad it needs to be said, but stay safe everyone.

Ah to be fair, as dramatic as it all seems to be, I'd say Joe Soap is fairly safe and secure. The traveller lads are only really out trying to get each other (and are struggling at even managing that).

Unless you're directly involved, I wouldn't be concerned. Some people (especially those unfortunate enough to have to live near the action) will have to suffer through the inconveniences attached to it, but I wouldn't say they're particularly unsafe.

I'd imagine the Gardai are hoping they'll all kill each other off. Even those involved know not to get the general public too tied up in it, because that's when the Gardai will have to act and do something, and that's in no one's interest.

Long term, this could be the best thing to ever happen to Moneymore. When this all settles, they might actually get proper Garda and Council resources for the area, to deal with the troublemakers.

Lots of lawlessness in Moneymore, but lots (in fact, the vast majority) of the people down there are genuine decent people, burdened by the minority around them.

Great ammunition for Peter Casey supporters! :P

I'm seeing two different stories now.

5 men arrested for stabbing a man in his twenties
    and 5 men arrested for kidnapping a man in his twenties.

I presume its the same five guys but the story is getting reported in different ways.

If Facebook is to be believed, they (dunno who 'they' are, obviously one side of the fight) set a car on fire with gas cannisters in it, and it was supposed to be to distract the Gardai and residents.

Then they entered a house, stabbed a chap, and threw him in a van to take him away. But the Gardai were alerted to it and caught them in time.

Grain of salt to go with that story, though!

• Advertisement

If Facebook is to be believed, they (dunno who 'they' are, obviously one side of the fight) set a car on fire with gas cannisters in it, and it was supposed to be to distract the Gardai and residents.

Then they entered a house, stabbed a chap, and threw him in a van to take him away. But the Gardai were alerted to it and caught them in time.

This is the version I heard from someone living in Money more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Not a war zone, no more than most other Irish towns can be classes as war zones.

Few bad night due to the ethnic minority but it'll blow over in a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Not a war zone, no more than most other Irish towns can be classes as war zones.

Few bad night due to the ethnic minority but it'll blow over in a day or two.

No chance it will, hasn't blown over since it started a year ago, and the last 3 weeks its been non stop. Whats being reported is not even the tip of the iceberg.

markc1184 wrote: »
    This is the version I heard from someone living in Money more.

Yeap, exact same story heard today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

A matter of time until some innocent person gets seriously injured or worse.

A teenage schoolboy was bitten by a dog when passing the halting site on Cement road last week on his way to school, got 14 stitches.
    Not exactly headline news, but a smaller kid could've got worse.

• Advertisement

rgodard80a wrote: »
    A teenage schoolboy was bitten by a dog when passing the halting site on Cement road last week on his way to school, got 14 stitches.
    Not exactly headline news, but a smaller kid could've got worse.

I feel sorry for the kid, but also for the dog.

Its the maguires from cement road, and the Boylans from Moneymore and elsewhere. Faa side royalty. The biggest Irish gang of the moment back them up so it aint gonna end well. Plus the INLA hate the maguires. They were warned two weeks ago they'd be burned out of their houses, but they don't give a ***. Too much cash involved.

Fourth evening in a row I've been stopped at an armed checkpoint around the town. Those lads mean business. I've passed more checkpoints in the last few days than I had in the previous couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Fourth evening in a row I've been stopped at an armed checkpoint around the town. Those lads mean business. I've passed more checkpoints in the last few days than I had in the previous couple of years.

Where were you stopped?

Wing126 wrote: »
    Where were you stopped?

Dublin Road, Marleys lane, between the roundabouts at the north road and m1 retail and then outside the recycling centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hoboo wrote: »
    Its the maguires from cement road, and the Boylans from Moneymore and elsewhere. Faa side royalty. The biggest Irish gang of the moment back them up so it aint gonna end well. Plus the INLA hate the maguires. They were warned two weeks ago they'd be burned out of their houses, but they don't give a ***. Too much cash involved.

Is that you Paul?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Is that you Paul?

Paul? Kimmage? Ha, no. I have my sauces as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Paul? Kimmage? Ha, no. I have my sauces as they say.

Ah no that other lad.. Williams

I like Kimmage

lawred2 wrote: »
    Ah no that other lad.. Williams

I like Kimmage

:D Yeah, sorry, Williams. Unless they lads settle things on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

All the good work the Fleadh did to boost tourism to the town is gone down the drain.

I don't know what the solution is but this is all VERY damaging to the local economy and will be felt for years. I already know of one person who's backed out of a house purchase this week as a direct result of the negative media regarding the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Regarding housing will these thugs now be turfed out of there council houses in Moneymore and the cement rd for causing so much anti social behaviour in the town of Drogheda.

macadam wrote: »
    Regarding housing will these thugs now be turfed out of there council houses in Moneymore and the cement rd for causing so much anti social behaviour in the town of Drogheda.

Cement road? Definitely not. Sure they have ethnic group status now ffs!! When it was raided during the summer a few times, once with 250,000 cash plus coke and weed, stolen tools, garden mowers, streamers, cars, watches, nothing done.

Moneymore, unlikely, its not the parents its the kids (although those kids are adults). And the couple of street rats from Rathmullen who run with the maguires are 17-20 too, so again its their parents.

This will die down for a bit, but continue with a few stabbings, beatings etc in the background. Its been going on every week for the past year, but only hit the media after a few petrol bombs were thrown about. Thing is 99% of the town will never come across these guys, they're practically on top of each other, and they're all afraid of their lives to step outside they're estate/site.

As someone said above its a pity, after the Fleadh and all the praise the town got, to be ruined by two families of swamp life.

macadam wrote: »

Think the halting site opposite Aldi on the cement road has been cleared out and knocked by the Council?

The houses down beside Drogheda hire don't seem to be touched (albeit I'm unsure which site is supposed to be the troublesome one).

In Moneymore, you've more chance of Jesus himself arriving and raising the dead from the graveyard to assist the Garda, than you do of the Council actually evicting a social tenant. Even if they do, they'll just re-house them elsewhere anyway. :rolleyes:

Think the halting site opposite Aldi on the cement road has been cleared out and knocked by the Council?

The houses down beside Drogheda hire don't seem to be touched (albeit I'm unsure which site is supposed to be the troublesome one).

In Moneymore, you've more chance of Jesus himself arriving and raising the dead from the graveyard to assist the Garda, than you do of the Council actually evicting a social tenant. Even if they do, they'll just re-house them elsewhere anyway. :rolleyes:

Has it actually been cleared? The houses won't be touched. Only thing I could find was in The Sun (spit, pinch of salt) saying coco bulldozers moved in on monday. Id have thought that would make media noise. Haven't been down that way in two weeks.

Apparently there’s a €60,000 bounty on one guys head now. I’ve noticed the Gardai driving up and down Grange Rath this week too, and it’s apparently cause the guy lives in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭enricoh

Apparently there’s a €60,000 bounty on one guys head now. I’ve noticed the Gardai driving up and down Grange Rath this week too, and it’s apparently cause the guy lives in here.

Plenty of cops living in grange rath, not a bad move on his behalf!

Has it actually been cleared? The houses won't be touched. Only thing I could find was in The Sun (spit, pinch of salt) saying coco bulldozers moved in on monday. Id have thought that would make media noise. Haven't been down that way in two weeks.

There was a photo floating around earlier in the week of the site completely demolished. I've no idea though if it was legit or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

There was a photo floating around earlier in the week of the site completely demolished. I've no idea though if it was legit or not.

It was flattened alright, completely demolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Flatten all of the sites causing problems. It's not as if they cannot afford to pay for their own accommodation, bin charges, LPT, ESB and so on now is it?

• Advertisement

Flatten all of the sites causing problems. It's not as if they cannot afford to pay for their own accommodation, bin charges, LPT, ESB and so on now is it?

Theres only one site.

Advertisement