Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2018 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

Anyone hear of any more dates for PCTs beyond 22nd Feb?

Got mine for March 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭OscarKilo

Yea same here

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Hendo98

Hi guys. Does anyone know the number for HR? Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Blads

Hendo98 wrote: »
    Hi guys. Does anyone know the number for HR? Thanks :)

01-6662571

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RMCN2710

I have my fitness exam tomorrow, and I was just wondering anyone who has done it already how long does it normally take ? Email said to be there for 9, just wondering what time it normally finishes up at ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

RMCN2710 wrote: »
    I have my fitness exam tomorrow, and I was just wondering anyone who has done it already how long does it normally take ? Email said to be there for 9, just wondering what time it normally finishes up at ?

If you pass the first part and do both parts you should be finished by 12. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Courtneycaseey

RMCN2710 wrote: »

I did it two weeks ago and we didn’t finish up until around 3

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Jecz

Hi,
    How long after submitting your GP clearance form did you get an appointment for the fitness test?

Jecz wrote: »
    Hi,
    How long after submitting your GP clearance form did you get an appointment for the fitness test?

5 weeks and 1 day to be precise lol

• Registered Users Posts: 44 G1raff3

Jecz wrote:
    Hi, How long after submitting your GP clearance form did you get an appointment for the fitness test?

Submitted mine early January and still waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Vital Work

G1raff3 wrote: »
    Submitted mine early January and still waiting.

Yeah same here, people above and below me in OOM have gotten their dates so you could get a date at any stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kilnap61

Just on the fitness test...saw a few posts before I did mine, some might be a bit misleading. I did it today, passed thankfully. Don't take the push/pull for granted. I was concerned about the beep. That went fine but the push pull is difficult enough. Best of luck to anyone with upcoming test.

Kilnap61 wrote: »
    Just on the fitness test...saw a few posts before I did mine, some might be a bit misleading. I did it today, passed thankfully. Don't take the push/pull for granted. I was concerned about the beep. That went fine but the push pull is difficult enough. Best of luck to anyone with upcoming test.

How much where ya able to push pull? Just out of interest, if ya don’t wanna post it Pm me

Think I got mid 30s which is fine but it's easy to fail even if you have the strength. Need to be sure you get the technique correct.

Think I got mid 30s which is fine but it's easy to fail even if you have the strength. Need to be sure you get the technique correct.

Cool thanks! And what technique would you recommend?

You'll be bit out of breath from the obstacle course even though it's not difficult. It's more about positioning yourself and waiting for the beep between each push and pull. Definitely on this one being bigger is an advantage because you need to really extend on the push and then get back fully for the beep on the pull. To be honest it's not difficult to do...it's just you could be strong and fail which would be a nightmare. Don't want to make anyone more nervous, it's all very doable, just be aware.

You'll be bit out of breath from the obstacle course even though it's not difficult. It's more about positioning yourself and waiting for the beep between each push and pull. Definitely on this one being bigger is an advantage because you need to really extend on the push and then get back fully for the beep on the pull. To be honest it's not difficult to do...it's just you could be strong and fail which would be a nightmare. Don't want to make anyone more nervous, it's all very doable, just be aware.

Nice one! Cheers for the tips thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Smallboy

I'm quite small, only 5'7 (hence the name lmao) and weigh about 57-58kg. I've been practicing with a sled push in the gym with 50kg on it.
    Would you imagine I'd find it difficult and need to up the weight on the sled push for more practice or is genuinely all technique even with smaller people like me?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bigred88

Smallboy wrote: »
    I'm quite small, only 5'7 (hence the name lmao) and weigh about 57-58kg. I've been practicing with a sled push in the gym with 50kg on it.
    Would you imagine I'd find it difficult and need to up the weight on the sled push for more practice or is genuinely all technique even with smaller people like me?
    Bud , the push pull machine is all about technique. If you plant your feet and use your legs you’ll have no bother doing it . Keep training and pushing yourself and be confident in your abilities you’ll be grand .
    Good luck .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SHIELDSRED

Serious well done to anyone who passed their PCT yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

Fantastic well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Hi. So is it a beep, then push and then another beep, pull? Are the feet allowed move? Are the feet planted(in markings)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SHIELDSRED

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Hi. So is it a beep, then push and then another beep, pull? Are the feet allowed move? Are the feet planted(in markings)?

Hi, so start at a push and push as hard as you can until to hear the beep and then pull as hard as you can til you hear the beep and so on for 20 seconds.
    You want to have your feet planted a stride apart and push from your legs!
    I found it the easiest of the whole PCT. So don't worry. Any sort of decent upper body strength and you'll be fine.

Yes agree with earlier replies....if you've been training as you said with the sled, you'll be fine. Also if you finish the obstacle course in under the time the weight on push pull is reduced slightly. Every little helps. If you have someone to put up plenty resistance against you, maybe holding a bar while you try to push and pull, it's good because you'll be operating at about chest/shoulder height which is what makes it awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Smallboy

Bigred88 wrote: »
    Bud , the push pull machine is all about technique. If you plant your feet and use your legs you’ll have no bother doing it . Keep training and pushing yourself and be confident in your abilities you’ll be grand .
    Good luck .

Thanks so much my man, very much appreciated. I'll keep practicing on equipment like the sled push and I'll get my gym partner to practice 'push-pull' where I'll push a barbell against him and get him to resist.

Thank you again

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Hearns2017

Hey. Just a question. I passed the fitness test Friday got my date for medical. My bmi is just over 25 but under 26.. Still working hard to get it down but are they strict or what happens when it's over 25 does anyone know that's had the medical already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

Hearns2017 wrote: »
    Hey. Just a question. I passed the fitness test Friday got my date for medical. My bmi is just over 25 but under 26.. Still working hard to get it down but are they strict or what happens when it's over 25 does anyone know that's had the medical already?

I think as long as it's under 30 you are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Linenbasket

Hearns2017 wrote: »

You'll be grand. I did mine last week and was 26. They said that was absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Jecz

OscarKilo wrote: »
    5 weeks and 1 day to be precise lol

Did you get a confirmation email they had received your copy of the GP letter?

• Advertisement

Jecz wrote: »
    Did you get a confirmation email they had received your copy of the GP letter?

No I didn’t but others have, when I rang HR about to ask did they receive my amended form B I asked them that, they’re just to busy to reply to individual people about confirmations

Advertisement