Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2018 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EL11

Hi all,

So got an email this morning saying my PCT is scheduled for NEXT Friday, 15th at 9am. Does anyone know what they are like with rescheduling them? Only a weeks notice seems bizarre, and I have an important college presentation next Friday....

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wizardofdodge

Henry2006 wrote: »
    My daughter failed twice in September 2016 both times on the beep test so be well prepared for it. She applied again for this campaign so hopefully will pass it this time

Hiya, just wondering how many chances your daughter got to repeat PCT. After she didnt get the second PCT was she then ruled out for that campaign. Really nervous about these PCTs
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kellbag91

Hiya, just wondering how many chances your daughter got to repeat PCT. After she didnt get the second PCT was she then ruled out for that campaign. Really nervous about these PCTs
    Thanks

I've read you get two attempts at the PCT in total. Then you're out. But this gentleman might know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

Thanks

Everyone gets 2 chances at it and if you don’t pass the second time you’re out of campaign. She was gutted as had everything done and signed off so was really unfortunate. She’s back to square one now so fingers crossed. My advice is to be well prepared for it, particularly the beep test, she flew all the other parts but just couldn’t get to last level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

kellbag91 wrote: »
    I've read you get two attempts at the PCT in total. Then you're out. But this gentleman might know better.

You get two goes.

If you fail your first attempt you get a second approximately 3 months later. If you fail that you are out of the campaign.

(although you can appeal if you have some good reason I think but theirs no guarantees of any 3rd chance)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 TR 2525

Just wondering. What do you have to get in the beep test. I know it’s different for different ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tomohawk85

I did the pct today. The beep test was definitely the hardest. Pace is crucial. A good few people failed in around the level 6/7 mark. It's the first part of the pct and if you get passed it, you'll cruise through everything else. The push/pull caught out a few of the girls. All I can say is give it everything you have. Use the legs!!! The instructors are absolutely sound, very encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Smallboy

Tomohawk85 wrote: »
    I did the pct today. The beep test was definitely the hardest. Pace is crucial. A good few people failed in around the level 6/7 mark. It's the first part of the pct and if you get passed it, you'll cruise through everything else. The push/pull caught out a few of the girls. All I can say is give it everything you have. Use the legs!!! The instructors are absolutely sound, very encouraging.

How many people do the beep test at once? And when you're doing the other parts, are people watching you? (other candidates, not garda staff)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Hendo98

Smallboy wrote: »
    How many people do the beep test at once? And when you're doing the other parts, are people watching you? (other candidates, not garda staff)

About 8-10 people doing it at once. About 6 garda staff watching you

Tomohawk85 wrote: »

Yeah important to practice it. I usually by myself get gassed around 7.5 and to get to 8.8 have to really push. When I practice with others its easier to keep the mental motivation, I'm sure I'll be fine on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Hendo98

Hi guys. I Have my medical on Thursday and I was wondering if anyone has theirs this week? ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NavyAndBlueGuy

Hi guys just wondering what you used to train for the beep test/shuttle run I was using a video on YouTube but all the 20m shuttle run videos have different timings and speeds for each beep. If anyone can send on a link to one that is similar to the one done in Templemore that would be great thanks ðŸ‘

Hi guys just wondering what you used to train for the beep test/shuttle run I was using a video on YouTube but all the 20m shuttle run videos have different timings and speeds for each beep. If anyone can send on a link to one that is similar to the one done in Templemore that would be great thanks ðŸ‘

I’d like to know too

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭twoblub

I’d like to know too

https://youtu.be/e0U_yQITBks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NavyAndBlueGuy

What are most people hitting on this link I’m getting around 8 and feel like I have no more to give!

What are most people hitting on this link I’m getting around 8 and feel like I have no more to give!

When I am rested I can get to 8.8 which is my required score. It's not easy, I'm fairly tired out but I can get to it. Should be able to reach it on the day with the extra motivation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Paddyjken

I read online a good way to improve your stamina while doing the beep test.
    Once you hit your max level and start missing beeps, stop, walk two lengths of the course 2x20m and get your breath back and then on the next beep after you get to the line start again on the beeps.
    Go as long as you can (might only be 2 or 3 more times) and once you start gassing again walk 2x more lengths and then start again on the next beep.
    Go to your max again and stop.

Record the different levels you stopped at and try improve the levels. You max yourself out 3 time so your levels should increase gradually.

Hope i explained that well enough :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Amy_123

Is there anyone here still waiting on the GP form?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RLF93

Amy_123 wrote: »
    Is there anyone here still waiting on the GP form?

Yes I am too

• Registered Users Posts: 11 robkell1234

RLF93 wrote: »
    Yes I am too

Ya I am the same don’t know what the delay is on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 TR 2525

Does anyone know anything about the eyesight and colour vision for the medical. What are the pass rates etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ETD5991

Does anybody have any recommendations dietwise for the days leading up/day of of the PCT ?

RLF93 wrote: »
    Yes I am too

My daughter hasn’t got hers yet and had interview 3 weeks ago, typically how long is it usually to wait to receive it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭OscarKilo

ETD5991 wrote: »
    Does anybody have any recommendations dietwise for the days leading up/day of of the PCT ?

Intermittent fasting (it’s not a diet but frequency in eating)

Ketogenic diet is the diet I’m doing! I’d recommend it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Blads

ETD5991 wrote: »

Doughnuts obviously!! No I just ate normally. Try and have lots of protein especially after training. I brought bananas and a protein shake on the day. There’s a bit of a wait in between the first and second part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Blads

My daughter hasn’t got hers yet and had interview 3 weeks ago, typically how long is it usually to wait to receive it ?

She’ll probably be waiting a while yet. I had my interview in October and got my GP form in January

Anyone hear of any more dates for PCTs beyond 22nd Feb?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Jecz

Sorry if this has been asked before,

When we get the letter for the GP does this mean our background check is complete or is there no real sequence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

Jecz wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before,

When we get the letter for the GP does this mean our background check is complete or is there no real sequence?

Nah I don't think so. After I submitted my clearance form, I got called in to chat to my sergeant again. HR had flagged something in my vetting and wanted to clarify a few things. I'd say vetting is ongoing for most people.

• Advertisement

Anyone hear of any more dates for PCTs beyond 22nd Feb?

Advertisement