Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Smash Brothers Ultimate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Mii Fighter costumes are coming next year. They'll be 75c each. They'll probably be the same price in €.
    Mii Fighter Costume
    Includes 1 Costume
    Price: $0.75 (USD)
    Content Available: 2019 (exact dates TBD)

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42489/p/897

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

sligeach wrote: »
    Mii Fighter costumes are coming next year. They'll be 75c each. They'll probably be the same price in €.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42489/p/897

Why do games have season passes and not include all content on it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

ERG89 wrote: »

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c262eef425a313277e48263

ERG89 wrote: »

Money. Greed. They're probably looking at all these millions of sales coming in so far for SSBU and thinking how they can milk the customers for even more money. If the rest of the DLC characters follow like Joker, I wouldn't go near it. The pack with all 5 characters for €25 is definitely a no-go now.

The Mii Fighter costumes take little effort and are relatively cheap. Depending on what they sell, they'll cream most of the money, whereas the use of Joker will probably see Nintendo pay a royalty on each sale. See that's part of what bugs me about the likes of Joker, and previously with Snake and Cloud, Square Enix and Konami did pretty much nothing on Nintendo hardware and yet got paid for doing nothing. Persona has never been on Nintendo hardware, bar one spin-off on 3DS I believe, but Atlus will be getting money for nothing. You can say we might be getting a port of Persona 5, but that's just it, a port. It's only a rumour as people jump to conclusions. It didn't work that way with Snake and Cloud.

What's the bet that they largely reuse costumes from the Wii U version? And I bet there'll be more DLC for the game in time. Look at Smash Bros on the Wii U and 3DS eShops. It's a monumental clusterf*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Money. Greed. They're probably looking at all these millions of sales coming in so far for SSBU and thinking how they can milk the customers for even more money. If the rest of the DLC characters follow like Joker, I wouldn't go near it. The pack with all 5 characters for €25 is definitely a no-go now.

Well I mean it's definitely a no-go if you can't even play the system, never mind the game.

Joker was a great surprise and if the DLC are as unpredictable as that, it should be a very good DLC pack. I think it's great Nintendo opened themselves up to having someone like Joker in, and in itself furthering the relationships between companies and their IP's. People were shocked and almost entirely excited about Joker in, it's a win-win for Atlus and Nintendo, I'm not sure how anyone could be annoyed about it, only some weird Smash 'rules' loyalty thing that went out the window long ago, or just a general reason to complain.

• Advertisement

See that's part of what bugs me about the likes of Joker, and previously with Snake and Cloud, Square Enix and Konami did pretty much nothing on Nintendo hardware and yet got paid for doing nothing.

Unless you own shares in Nintendo (and even still), I'm not sure why you would give a fuk where Nintendo spend their money. The last thing I think of when I purchase a gaming item is who is getting a cut of my money. It's a bit manic to consider these inside business agreements.

I'm a Nintendo only gamer. I feel these companies shouldn't be rewarded with characters in Super Smash Bros. They've none or very little history on Nintendo hardware. Let's just deal with Snake, he wasn't in the NES games, he was in a remake of Twin Snakes on Gamecube, that Nintendo went after, developed through Silicon Knights and funded. Not Konami. The only other game was Snake Eater on 3DS, another remake. Don't even get me started on Cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I think its great they branch out, makes the reveals more fun and surprising. If its just a nintendo pool, nothing will be surprising and they will all be very samey combat mechanics wise.. There arent many Nintendo options left that would get people excited anyway.. except maybe Turok? (was he ever in smash) banjo and kazooie? Then its back into picking out of the games characters have already been plucked from...

I think its great to see the likes of Cloud, Snake and Joker showing up, step closer to more games on the switch also maybe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

My so man got this and reckons he has about 16 characters but now when he wins a fight, he isn’t getting a boss battle to win a new character anymore. Therefore he hasn’t got any new characters the last hour or so.

What could be wrong?

Lemlin wrote: »
    My so man got this and reckons he has about 16 characters but now when he wins a fight, he isn’t getting a boss battle to win a new character anymore. Therefore he hasn’t got any new characters the last hour or so.

What could be wrong?

Well every 10mins of playing the game returning to the main menu will initiate a new challenger who you can defeat to unlock.

Playing classic mode, finishing it will unlock a new character, as per the chart a few posts above here it is again here

So if your friend is using the same character over and over in classic mode, the prob have just unlocked all they can with that character, using someone else from the top of the chart and they can start unlocking more..

You can also unlock players from playing the world of light game mode, probably the most fun but also most slowest..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Joker didn't appeal to me since I've never played Persona. I'm glad they branched out like that but it's of no interest to me. Hopefully the others are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Unless you own shares in Nintendo (and even still), I'm not sure why you would give a fuk where Nintendo spend their money. The last thing I think of when I purchase a gaming item is who is getting a cut of my money. It's a bit manic to consider these inside business agreements.

Well you probably should, since getting a character into Smash as paid for dlc is probably a great little earner in terms of effort:revenue, which makes it a great carrot for encouraging companies to find a way to make their game work on the system. And that directly benefits you.

Did Shovel Knight get into Smash? There's a guy who's earned a seat at the table. Similarly Wreckit Ralph for plugging Mario so much in his movie. But Cloud? The poster boy for the Sony/Ninty split? Jeeeeeesus.

Also - you never look at the sliders on Humble Bundle? Won't someone think of the children? (Or veterans or blind gamers or whomever)

Banjo wrote: »
    And that directly benefits you.

Except it doesn't.

I'm not that masochistic to steadfastly limit myself to one system.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Except it doesn't.

I'm not that masochistic to steadfastly limit myself to one system.

So you don't benefit from games being on the switch? What, you bought it for it's kick ass Options menu? Different strokes for different folks I guess.

So you don't benefit from games being on the switch? What, you bought it for it's kick ass Options menu? Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Wii never got a Metal Gear game. Wii U never got a Final Fantasy.

Wii never got a Metal Gear game. Wii U never got a Final Fantasy.

Nor did I ever say it did. Perhaps you misunderstood my comment. But thanks for the unnecessary history lesson. In other news, SNES never (legally) got a Sonic game and Red Dead Redemption was and never will be a game & watch.

Strawman.

Any games which have gotten a port on the Switch are better played elsewhere from a technical standpoint. My Switch has been used for exclusives and the odd indy and has been well worth the price for that.

Whatever ports Bethesda announce for it matters little to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Thread has jumped the shark. Don't think he features in the game though.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Update on World of Light progress: attempted that fight I was stuck on again. No joy after 5 attempts. Took a different route on the map and won the next 5 in a row. I've probably unlocked something since that would give me a better chance at that tough battle but I never wanna do that fight again. Ever!
    I want this mode to be good so I will continue to give it a chance. So far not loving it though.

Update on World of Light progress: attempted that fight I was stuck on again. No joy after 5 attempts. Took a different route on the map and won the next 5 in a row. I've probably unlocked something since that would give me a better chance at that tough battle but I never wanna do that fight again. Ever!
    I want this mode to be good so I will continue to give it a chance. So far not loving it though.

5 attempts? thats nothing, i spent over an hour on (atleast it seemed that long) one earlier :pac::D

You will come across ones that you burn through easy, you will hit the odd bump, and then there will be ones that are impossible until later.

Like there was one i was playing last week, there was 5 kirbies constantly coming at me, and no matter what i done they just overwhelmed me, i gave up until tonight, i had Simon this time, and i one shot them.. This time i dont even think i had much of a spirit advantage, i think Simon was just a good pick.. So try a different character to mix up a fight your stuck on also, and dont be afraid to come back to it later :)

• Advertisement

The 5 attempts came after a previous half hour session which had also followed a separate half hour session of trying to beat the one character.
    I was close to firing my Switch at the wall. I probably shouldn't play this mode in handheld.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I had a good run with Captain Falcon on WoL last night. I had an attack spirit with 10k points and railroaded several fights (and got feck all rewards as a result). One mini boss fight against a Gaint Squirtle with all sorts of fire and bombs and things lasted all of the time it took for me to wind up a Falcon Punch and send him to the moon.

Then I got stuck against a giant Zelda who self healed. I eventually managed to wear her down with Peach after many many attempts with various characters.

I’m completely new to Smash Brothers and was overwhelmed by all the jargon, modes and depth. I find WoL a great way to get Into the game and sample lots of variety. I need to figure dodging grabbing still and I still dive off the map far too frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

nix wrote: »
    Well every 10mins of playing the game returning to the main menu will initiate a new challenger who you can defeat to unlock.

Playing classic mode, finishing it will unlock a new character, as per the chart a few posts above here it is again here

So if your friend is using the same character over and over in classic mode, the prob have just unlocked all they can with that character, using someone else from the top of the chart and they can start unlocking more..

You can also unlock players from playing the world of light game mode, probably the most fun but also most slowest..

This still doesn't seem to be working for him. We've tried winning fights with different characters in single player mode but he isn't getting boss fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Boss fights or new challengers approaching?

I played a bit of this on my nephew's switch over the last few days and I'm a covert. It's a great game and I'll be picking it up myself during the week.

However, I watched him play a 4 player online game and it was horrific and unplayable. The screen froze about once a second. Play for a second, freeze for a second, play for a second... Awful. Not sure how Nintendo let it out in that state to be honest. It's not like them to release something as broken as that.

Played 4 player at a mates house yesterday. It is the best craic. So much laughing and arguing. That's when the game is at its best for sure.
    Which makes the bad online so much more annoying. When it works it's brilliant. But it's working less and less for me lately.

Mr E wrote: »
    Boss fights or new challengers approaching?

I played a bit of this on my nephew's switch over the last few days and I'm a covert. It's a great game and I'll be picking it up myself during the week.

However, I watched him play a 4 player online game and it was horrific and unplayable. The screen froze about once a second. Play for a second, freeze for a second, play for a second... Awful. Not sure how Nintendo let it out in that state to be honest. It's not like them to release something as broken as that.

They dont have any dedicated servers, its all p2p, which is crazy in this day and age, especially when one needs to pay a subscription to play online.

So whoever was hosting that 4 player game, likely had a **** connection and couldnt handle multiple players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Have played a decent amount of Classic mode and World of Light since getting this on Christmas Day.

It's clicking with me far more than previous Smash games and I'm enjoying the unlocking of characters as I go along.

Haven't had a chance to play any multiplayer yet but there's plenty there for single player anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

How the **** was Kirby the one that got away??

fixxxer wrote: »
    How the **** was Kirby the one that got away??
    from The Internet

Kirby, thanks to his trusted Warp Star, has the ability to warp and that makes for the most believable reason that he would be the one to escape and live to fight another day and save his friends.

Sakurai also reveals that the other two characters who may have stood a chance were Bayonetta or Palutena. However, Bayonetta's enemies from Purgatorio were turned into Spirits and "other divine beings like Hades" didn't survive, so these two characters just couldn't quite make it.

Lastly, he wanted a character that was simple and easy to use for the starting one, and "as you may have seen in The Smashing Life, Kirby was voted as the character they should play first. I really had no other choice than Kirby."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Ok, confirmed. Sakurai still a genius, me still clueless :D

Advertisement