Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Smash Brothers Ultimate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

iamtony wrote: »
    It all makes sense now, technology these day eh?

What a time to be alive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

So it turns out the standards of smash players has gone up quite alot since the Wii U version. I used to be competitive online(kinda), now I'm totally useless. Even mario my go to guy doesn't save me.
    I'm trying to master ryu at the moment and it isn't easy. Great game though, my only negative feedback would be on some stages there is too much going on and throw in a few characters that produce flashes and fire etc and it's easy to loose your character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

So it turns out the standards of smash players has gone up quite alot since the Wii U version. I used to be competitive online(kinda), now I'm totally useless. Even mario my go to guy doesn't save me.
    I'm trying to master ryu at the moment and it isn't easy. Great game though, my only negative feedback would be on some stages there is too much going on and throw in a few characters that produce flashes and fire etc and it's easy to loose your character.

i think theres an option, in options to highlight you and your team mates if any. only slightly glanced at the options last night may be worng.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I was coming on to say the same. Found great difficulty online since Wii U version too. Playing like complete shoite

i think theres an option, in options to highlight you and your team mates if any. only slightly glanced at the options last night may be worng.

I must look at that, I've gone through online team matches and not even realised I was on a team till the results:) won a few of those alright, only cause the team mate carried me :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Maybe my reflexes have slowed over time. But it seems to be way more luck and frantic bouncing around the screens than game cube days of yore...

Playing the spirits game and have won some battles without being hit or even landing a hit as the cpu bounces around and then murders himself... Conversely there are a few toogh cookies who slaughter me in seconds with their 100% perfection blitzing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I was coming on to say the same. Found great difficulty online since Wii U version too. Playing like complete shoite

Bear in mind that with online now being pay to play, you are only fighting people who think they're skills are good enough they're willing to pay 20 quid to show them to others. And rabid Ice Climbers fans.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Got this last Friday (normal pre-order) and the guy at the till handed over the steel cover box (empty) as well, was this supposed to happen? I keep the cartridges elsewhere so it's just two game cases on the shelf instead of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Same - pre-ordered in GameStop for Santa, and they just handed me the steel case too.

I've played a few hours on my copy, and it's fun. I'm hopeless at the moment, but getting there. Just focusing on getting characters unlocked for now!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

chrislad wrote: »
    Same - pre-ordered in GameStop for Santa, and they just handed me the steel case too.

I've played a few hours on my copy, and it's fun. I'm hopeless at the moment, but getting there. Just focusing on getting characters unlocked for now!

I was surprised how bad I was when I started, I was quite good at Melee and passing fair at Brawl but this was embarrassing. Now doing grand, almost finished with the World of Light game and have unlocked a fair few. Having people over in the next few weeks so, same as yourself, want to have a good roster for people to choose from.

Vs. mode seems to be the best way to unlock them so I'll be on that as soon as I've beaten this lightbulb made of wings.

• Advertisement

Caved today, had to be got for Xmas
    It just looks so good
    Glad there is good single player content too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Rhyme wrote: »
    I was surprised how bad I was when I started, I was quite good at Melee and passing fair at Brawl but this was embarrassing. Now doing grand, almost finished with the World of Light game and have unlocked a fair few. Having people over in the next few weeks so, same as yourself, want to have a good roster for people to choose from.

Vs. mode seems to be the best way to unlock them so I'll be on that as soon as I've beaten this lightbulb made of wings.

I think you get a challenger for every 10 minutes of gameplay. I played a few games with my son, and I must have unlocked about 3-4 extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Question:

Is the joypad that comes with this just a standard gamecube joypad? Or is it altered to be compatible with the switch? (outside of the adaptor that comes with it)

I'm asking as i have two gamecube controllers in storage, so handy if all ive to get is the adaptor thingy :D:pac:

Picked up a copy of smash today, my first time playing it, i never got a chance to get it on my cube back in the day. I was always gonna get it, but the reveal of Joker joining the line up at the recent rewards speed up the process of getting it, it was possibly the slickest surprising gaming reveal trailer ive ever seen, at least for a long time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,012 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Famitsu preliminary report: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate opens at 1,3m in Japan

https://www.resetera.com/threads/famitsu-preliminary-report-super-smash-bros-ultimate-opens-at-1-3m-in-japan.86240/

That's an insane debut. That's the highest ever sales total for a week of a new Nintendo game in Japan, outside of Pokemon.

Also, Nintendo are now distributing codes for Piranha Plant to those who registered the game on My Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I know I said I had no interest in this, but with all the coverage on news sites, stellar reviews and gushing podcast impressions, I'm very tempted. :o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Classic Mode is really good. Like REALLY good. Master hand is no longer the endgame boss. Throws spanner in the works with every character.

Is it me or is Spirit Adventure Mode hard??

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Classic Mode is really good. Like REALLY good. Master hand is no longer the endgame boss. Throws spanner in the works with every character.

Is it me or is Spirit Adventure Mode hard??

Spirit mode can get crazy hard at times but that's coming from a newbie.

I love how theyve packed so much into the game.

Is there a way to set up online matches with your switch friends?

I noticed some people I added from boards are playing but don't have a clue how to invite them to a match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Finally jumped into this this evening.
    Didn't really know where to start. Classic Mode? Smash Mode? World of Light?
    Then had to go looking for tutorial. Still not totally sure on the controls, I'm sure for old fans of the game it's the same ol same ol. But for me I'm still trying to figure things out.
    Despite this lack of direction at the start though I'm enjoying it all. Unlocked about 6 characters tonight in roughly an hours play. Can't wait to play more and get good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

rejkin wrote: »
    Spirit mode can get crazy hard at times but that's coming from a newbie.

I love how theyve packed so much into the game.

Is there a way to set up online matches with your switch friends?

I noticed some people I added from boards are playing but don't have a clue how to invite them to a match

I found that too, completely new to it.
    Difficulty spikes can be crazy,

Online is pretty terrible, very laggy at times.
    Turns out it's P2P, no dedicated servers....so it all depends on the hosts connection...and wherever he is.
    I've been placed against people with Japanese names, not to say they're deffo in Japan, but with the lag etc it doesn't feel like it's Europe either

• Registered Users Posts: 16,012 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I found that too, completely new to it.
    Difficulty spikes can be crazy,

Online is pretty terrible, very laggy at times.
    Turns out it's P2P, no dedicated servers....so it all depends on the hosts connection...and wherever he is.
    I've been placed against people with Japanese names, not to say they're deffo in Japan, but with the lag etc it doesn't feel like it's Europe either

That's a major reason why I've a problem with Nintendo charging for online. They've done nothing, their games are p2p, nothing changed from the day before to the day after they introduced Nintendo Switch Online. They should be investing some of that money in dedicated servers. They're essentially charging money for nothing, because they can.

The game I remember reading tries to set you up with players that are as close to you as possible I think. It also tries to match you against people of your ability. I'll try find the link, or maybe thinking about it, Sakurai might have said it during one of the Directs.

Edit:

Here’s how matchmaking will work in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/11/1/18051868/super-smash-bros-ultimate-matchmaking-online-play-nintendo-switch

As I was searching for this I see a fair few bad stories about the Online. I heard someone mention it as well in an impressions video I watched last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Mr E wrote: »
    I know I said I had no interest in this, but with all the coverage on news sites, stellar reviews and gushing podcast impressions, I'm very tempted. :o
    I got it - I was never into Smash but I like fighting games so I thought I'd give it a whirl.
    I've only played it a bit yet, but I like it so far.
    I want to get in a bit of practice first before I venture online.
    It's a also a good bit cheaper on the SA eShop.
    I'd say go for it :) If you do at least I won't be the only newbie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

nix wrote: »
    Question:

Is the joypad that comes with this just a standard gamecube joypad? Or is it altered to be compatible with the switch? (outside of the adaptor that comes with it)

I'm asking as i have two gamecube controllers in storage, so handy if all ive to get is the adaptor thingy :D:pac:

Picked up a copy of smash today, my first time playing it, i never got a chance to get it on my cube back in the day. I was always gonna get it, but the reveal of Joker joining the line up at the recent rewards speed up the process of getting it, it was possibly the slickest surprising gaming reveal trailer ive ever seen, at least for a long time. :D

Hey, the gamecube controller is just a regular one.

The adapter has 2 USB cables that plug into the 2 USB slots in the dock.
    Then you can connect any Gamecube Controller to the adapter and you are good to go.
    The game will detect if a gamecube controller is being used and will adjust the inputs on menus etc to suit.

Mr E wrote: »

It's a good game. It's an absolutely AWESOME nostalgia trip.

From the soundtracks to the stages to the characters to the spirits, it's basically "The History of VideoGames: The Game".

The amount of content here is monstrous too.
    Adventure mode has over 600 unique battles all with varying stipulations and twists.

Then there is a "Classic" mode for each character that has a few fights followed by a kind of platfromy level and then a boss battle. Some of the boss battles are particularly cool.

In "Classic" the individual fights are somewhat themed.

Some of the fights are so inventive.
    Then there's the endlessly customizable multiplayer modes.
    Amiibo functionality too. Means you can fight against ever improving Amiibo fighters.

The "spirit" system can carry over to your multiplayer games if you like. It can actually work well as a kind of "handicap" system if you have people with varied experience playing.

The spirit mode in the game is kind of like introducing mild RPG elements. You collect spirits and level them up and then you can use them to customize or equip your fighter. There is also a skill tree in this mode.

One of the things I am appreciating about the Switch era is how much content Nintendo are giving players in their flagship games.

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    It's a good game. It's an absolutely AWESOME nostalgia trip.

From the soundtracks to the stages to the characters to the spirits, it's basically "The History of VideoGames: The Game".

The amount of content here is monstrous too.
    Adventure mode has over 600 unique battles all with varying stipulations and twists.

Then there is a "Classic" mode for each character that has a few fights followed by a kind of platfromy level and then a boss battle. Some of the boss battles are particularly cool.

In "Classic" the individual fights are somewhat themed.

Some of the fights are so inventive.
    Then there's the endlessly customizable multiplayer modes.
    Amiibo functionality too. Means you can fight against ever improving Amiibo fighters.

The "spirit" system can carry over to your multiplayer games if you like. It can actually work well as a kind of "handicap" system if you have people with varied experience playing.

The spirit mode in the game is kind of like introducing mild RPG elements. You collect spirits and level them up and then you can use them to customize or equip your fighter. There is also a skill tree in this mode.

One of the things I am appreciating about the Switch era is how much content Nintendo are giving players in their flagship games.
    SPOILER ALERT!
    these things you mentioned like the street fighter stuff would of been better if I discovered them myself :(

SPOILER ALERT!
    these things you mentioned like the street fighter stuff would of been better if I discovered them myself :(

Ah crap. Sorry, mate. I wasn't even thinking.

I deleted that stuff from my post. Can you also delete?

Sorry folks!

Ah crap. Sorry, mate. I wasn't even thinking.

I deleted that stuff from my post. Can you also delete?

Sorry folks!
    The mods deleted it from my post but they can't delete from my memory:pac:
    No biggie;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Hey, the gamecube controller is just a regular one.

The adapter has 2 USB cables that plug into the 2 USB slots in the dock.
    Then you can connect any Gamecube Controller to the adapter and you are good to go.
    The game will detect if a gamecube controller is being used and will adjust the inputs on menus etc to suit.

Thanks dude, just checked on the cost of the adapter separately, official nintendo one is £53 on amazon x_X Thats insane :(

Might just get a controller dongle and use my WiiU pro controller instead :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Finally jumped into this this evening.
    Didn't really know where to start. Classic Mode? Smash Mode? World of Light?
    Then had to go looking for tutorial. Still not totally sure on the controls, I'm sure for old fans of the game it's the same ol same ol. But for me I'm still trying to figure things out.
    Despite this lack of direction at the start though I'm enjoying it all. Unlocked about 6 characters tonight in roughly an hours play. Can't wait to play more and get good.
    Same here - I've watched a few videos on YouTube - found this one (and the 2nd one in the series) pretty good:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

How does it compare to the last one, on Wii U and 3DS? I found that a little empty unless you were playing it online or vs.

Also :
    nix wrote: »
    Thanks dude, just checked on the cost of the adapter separately, official nintendo one is £53 on amazon x_X Thats insane :(

Might just get a controller dongle and use my WiiU pro controller instead :pac:

does the Switch use the same adapter as the WiiU did, by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Banjo wrote: »
    does the Switch use the same adapter as the WiiU did, by any chance?

It does, I'm using my Wii U adapter.

Advertisement