Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Smash Brothers Ultimate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,012 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It's the second update. The first one was on launch day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

So far I had one online game. All others had server errors.
    I'd say something wrong on your end. Did you try a simple router reset?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Before the 1.2 patch online was almost unplayable for me, but since the latest patch it's been very solid. And it's actually matching games to my preference now too.

Edit: back to laggy bull**** tonight unfortunately.

See a few of you playing smash online so I've just set up an arena. I'll keep it open for about 10 minutes to see if any of you join.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

iamtony wrote: »
    See a few of you playing smash online so I've just set up an arena. I'll keep it open for about 10 minutes to see if any of you join.

10 mins to assume people will come on here and check is a bit short.
    I reckon a discord server is the way to go.
    We don't even have to chat on it... but ye message people and would be able to see who's online and up for a game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Made one called boards SSBU

Link is here. https://discord.gg/2WkWHAx

Download the app on your phone I guess or PC.
    There are text and voice chat rooms in there.

So maybe if you're goin on for a game jump into there so others can message you to join or for a game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I'd say something wrong on your end. Did you try a simple router reset?

To be fair I tried Mario kart and had the same issue so that could be the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Played a bit online last night. Great craic. I'm by no means an expert. Played some crazy 4 player matches. Won none but didn't disgrace myself. Won a few 1v1 games so I think I'm progressing ok.
    Only had lag in one match out of about 10.
    I'm up to about half of the characters unlocked. Think my main characters so far are Ryu, Sonic and Bayonetta.

Played a bit online last night. Great craic. I'm by no means an expert. Played some crazy 4 player matches. Won none but didn't disgrace myself. Won a few 1v1 games so I think I'm progressing ok.
    Only had lag in one match out of about 10.
    I'm up to about half of the characters unlocked. Think my main characters so far are Ryu, Sonic and Bayonetta.
    I haven't got bayonetta yet:mad: she's so hot:p I'm using ryu a good bit but I believe it's hard to master him. If your new to the series I recommend mario as your main. Learn the **** out of him and he is very rewarding.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Made one called boards SSBU

Link is here. https://discord.gg/2WkWHAx

Download the app on your phone I guess or PC.
    There are text and voice chat rooms in there.

So maybe if you're goin on for a game jump into there so others can message you to join or for a game
    Sean is clearly better than he pretends to be, he kicked my ass with every character he had going random. I've been using Mario since the Wii U days:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Sean is clearly better than he pretends to be, he kicked my ass with every character he had going random. I've been using Mario since the Wii U days:D

Well he's been mixing it up in the land of competitive gaming aka South Korea for awhile now, of course he kicked yer arse :D:pac::P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,802 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Fi is just as annoying in this as she is in Skyward Sword. Got it today

Up to 55 characters unlocked. Got all the main ones I was looking for sorted. Ryu, Sonic and Richter are my favs so far. Just unlocked snake. He seems complex to use but gonna give him a try.
    3 player Smash with the nephews this evening was a hit. Great fun.

Up to 55 characters unlocked. Got all the main ones I was looking for sorted. Ryu, Sonic and Richter are my favs so far. Just unlocked snake. He seems complex to use but gonna give him a try.
    3 player Smash with the nephews this evening was a hit. Great fun.

Nice!

I havent got anywhere near that many, i decided to get the majority of my unlocks through spirit board (Which is slow going, even when i return to menu frequently to fight challengers), figured it would be a good place to hone my also skills before i jump into any proper multiplayer smashing. Seeing as im a total newb to the game :pac:

Some of the levels in the spirit board are crazy hard, to the point where after multiple attempts i come to the conclusion that i can only pass the battle with a required spirit :o:(

I'm looking to play the heck out of Cloud, but hes near the end of the spirit board from what i can tell, so using link mostly at the mo until hes unlocked, hes pretty great.

I've only played about half hour of World Of Light. Not a huge fan of it. All my unlocking is through classic mode. I've put in about 10 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,812 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My brother got this today and I had a small go. Seemed like fun but a bit slow? Might pick it up myself over the weekend but not 100% sure if it's for me :confused:

TitianGerm wrote: »
    My brother got this today and I had a small go. Seemed like fun but a bit slow? Might pick it up myself over the weekend but not 100% sure if it's for me :confused:

Nah it's not slow by any means, it's by far my favourite fighting game. It keeps you entertained for hundreds of hours. You do have to put in the work to appricate it though. My first time playing it was on Wii u and I bought into the hype but didn't think I made the right choice but once I learned how to play and play properly it's gold. Not tgat I'm any good at it or anything I loose 9 out of 10 online matches but I genuinely enjoy everyone. Some game are edge of your seat stuff when your on 200% and people are trying to smash you off the screen, it brilliant.

I've only played about half hour of World Of Light. Not a huge fan of it. All my unlocking is through classic mode. I've put in about 10 hours.

I've still no idea what all the spirits do. I can see there's some depth to it but I'm lost. Some of the matches are rediculously hard.

I've still no idea what all the spirits do. I can see there's some depth to it but I'm lost. Some of the matches are rediculously hard.

This. Am I supposed to look through all the spirits I've collected before each fight and pick one that's appropriate? Seems like that will get time consuming the further into the game i get and have hundreds of spirits. Does not appeal to me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

This. Am I supposed to look through all the spirits I've collected before each fight and pick one that's appropriate? Seems like that will get time consuming the further into the game i get and have hundreds of spirits. Does not appeal to me.

Just press Y to auto select. Tap again to select alternatives. Sometimes you have fights with high wind etc and you’ll unlock a spirit nearby with wind resistance.

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    Just press Y to auto select. Tap again to select alternatives. Sometimes you have fights with high wind etc and you’ll unlock a spirit nearby with wind resistance.

Cool. I'll try it again using auto select and see how i fair with that. I would like to get stuck in to a big single player Smash Bros. story mode. Maybe i should give it another try.
    Nearly 60 fighters unlocked now. Classic mode is great.

You can do the auto select thing on the primary and the support spirits separately. Just highlight that part of the screen.

5uspect wrote: »
    You can do the auto select thing on the primary and the support spirits separately. Just highlight that part of the screen.

Gave world of Light another go. Spent half an hour not beating the first character I met. Did the auto select thing for the spirits. Made no difference. Infuriating. Think I'm done with this mode.

Gave world of Light another go. Spent half an hour not beating the first character I met. Did the auto select thing for the spirits. Made no difference. Infuriating. Think I'm done with this mode.

Which fight is it? Some fights are near impossible without having the required counter spirit equipped. Then again I've come across some fights which are just crazy hard and i cant see a spirit making much of a difference. :pac::(:D

nix wrote: »
    Which fight is it? Some fights are near impossible without having the required counter spirit equipped. Then again I've come across some fights which are just crazy hard and i cant see a spirit making much of a difference. :pac::(:D

The character was BOTW Link but was called Fi I think. His damage dealt double. Came close a few times but after probably about 20 or more attempts I quit and played online. I tried using different characters and spirits. No joy.

The character was BOTW Link but was called Fi I think. His damage dealt double. Came close a few times but after probably about 20 or more attempts I quit and played online. I tried using different characters and spirits. No joy.

You’re fighting Link to unlock the spirit Fi. Fi, iirc, increases your neutral damage. This means that Link has that power in this fight so you need to do something to avoid this neutral attacks, like arrows.

The right spirit mix depends on the type of fight. If it’s a stamina fight it’s best to use stamina support spirits (which auto select should do once you’ve highlighted the support selection).

Also auto selecting the primary should give you the correct type but not always the best option. Repeatedly tapping y cycles through suitable options. Look at the score at the top of the screen, start with the highest powered primary. You can also use the snacks you’ve earned from previous fights to significantly increase spirit level. Tap L to go to the level up screen and level them up.

The basic gist of selecting the right primary spirit is that grab beats shield, shield beats attack and attack beat grab. When you’re in the Spirit select screen tap R to view the fight card. Here it shows you your opponent skills. They might have a grab loadout (Green) and an associated power number but also they favour up specials or something and be distracted by items. Go back to your spirit selection and look at the right type of primary spirit to counter their grab (or whatever they have) select secondary spirits to counter their secondary effects. Weapon resistance if they use weapons etc.

Usually auto select will eventually get you sorted you you need to level the spirits up. Also while in the map view press + to spend XP spheres or whatever they’re called on the skill tree.

Also your path is rarely blocked in this mode. As you work your away around a specific area you’ll unlock spirits relevant to local fights. So expolore in other directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Anyone recommend a guide for this for a complete n00b? Unlocking characters as I go but don't feel like I'm learning as much as I should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

fixxxer wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a guide for this for a complete n00b? Unlocking characters as I go but don't feel like I'm learning as much as I should be.

No idea if this is any use, but it appeared on my twitter feed the other day.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/how-to/super-smash-bros-ultimate-guide-how-to-unlock-every-character

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

• Advertisement

Cheers for the detailed reply. I might do a bit more research on it. But we'll see. I'm still enjoying single player classic mode and when online is working it's great fun.

Advertisement