Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pittsburgh synagogue shooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    That reads to me like a proposal for entirely unlimited migration worldwide, given that migration has been happening throughout the entirety of human existence, and only in relatively recent times was in any way hindered by the existence of artificial lines like borders. :D

Oh for sure, you want the world to erupt in an absolute inferno, just have billions of people wander around where they like. Akin to telling the people of the country they can just mosey in and out of each others houses whenever they want, day or night, just take what they want while theyre at it.

Yeah, that would lead to something alright: A biblical crackdown. Same thing as now, only the reaction is happening in slow motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Maybe if BDS focused on other countries, that might be easier to believe. And then there's this:

Why would they? Syria is under UN sanctions, as is south Sudan, sudan, Iran, North Korea, Libya, Congo and so on. The lack of official sanctions on Israel, due to the US veto makes BDS nessecary.

Do you think that Israel should be able to ethnically cleanse the West Bank and Arab East |Jerusalem without penalty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

mammajamma wrote: »
    And as for the roman empire, it collapsed due to its diversity and was overcome by unified and therefore inherently stronger groups that both raided and took over.
    Sorry I don't have time to rubbish all your arguments but this is a quick one: Rome was diverse from day one (don't believe me - learn about it), and only became more diverse as it expanded across Etruscan, Sabine, Latin, Greek and Celtic Italy. Most of its greatest emperors were Spanish or Illyrian. The empire was already masssively diverse and had been expanding and diversifying for over 500 years by the time it reached its greatest extent under (Spanish) emperor Hadrian.

So you can bin that theory for a start. HTH.

Common language evolved very quickly, common ancestry, common religion of Christianity, zero mollycoddling of social welfare and the "do or die" to join society. For the vast majority, these people came from Europe. They even looked like each other! It was quickly a necessity to assimilate to each other.
    Oh look, this one should also take 30 seconds. You are suggesting that even just the *white* population of the US - everyone from Swedes to Italians, Irish speaking Irish to Poles, English to French, Dutch Menonites to Eastern European Jews...were homogenous?

I think you must be trolling, because this is the stupidest thing I've seen on Boards today, and that's saying something.

Anthracite wrote: »
    Sorry I don't have time to rubbish all your arguments but this is a quick one: Rome was diverse from day one (don't believe me - learn about it), and only became more diverse as it expanded across Etruscan, Sabine, Latin, Greek and Celtic Italy. Most of its greatest emperors were Spanish or Illyrian. The empire was already masssively diverse and had been expanding and diversifying for over 500 years by the time it reached its greatest extent under (Spanish) emperor Hadrian.

So you can bin that theory for a start. HTH.

"Sorry I don't have the capacity to back my position, so let me just pick on this one singular tangent and leggit"

Don't forget the part were it utterly collapsed and shrank dramatically in size again owing directly to the disparate competing groups within its hegemon. That's kind of important to the point.

But youre hiding behind an extreme tangent, so you know, whatever.

• Advertisement

Oh look, this one should also take 30 seconds. You are suggesting that even just the *white* population of the US - everyone from Swedes to Italians, Irish speaking Irish to Poles, English to French, Dutch Menonites to Eastern European Jews...were homogenous?

I think you must be trolling, because this is the stupidest thing I've seen on Boards today, and that's saying something.

You can call my post stupid, but your are demonstrating clear cowardice in avoiding all the PERTINENT points of the matter. Of course I could point out the time frames where language unified somewhat to English, how quick it was in comparison to many other examples of the time (and since, and before). But you're basically just hiding behind negligible points that should "go without saying"...….buts its just too convenient an escape with deflective crap.

Youre living in a dreamworld, and it must be scary to fight reality that like that. Do you have access to a news channel at all?! That's rhetorical, I'm not interested in your tangential escapes, or in replying to you anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Common language evolved very quickly, common ancestry, common religion of Christianity, zero mollycoddling of social welfare and the "do or die" to join society. For the vast majority, these people came from Europe. They even looked like each other! It was quickly a necessity to assimilate to each other.

Now, not so common language, I was riding a train in new York recently and was surprised that all of the advertisements in that particular carriage were in Spanish. How does that kind of thing bring people together, seriously, literally putting up barriers of communication? That's "diversity" for you....division and separation.

At the beginning, with genuinely huge, mostly empty country, the beginnings of the US was diverse. But it had all the elements necessary to create its own unique identity.

For comparisons sake, imagine if the American indian population of the US was gigantic, filling the place coast to coast. How well do you think an influx of people from another continent, with an entirely different way of life would have been greeted? Conducive to harmony? I think you can guess how that would have played out.

America was unique, it formed together under unique circumstances, now its time is just about over again. Apples and oranges to Europe.
    I find it deeply ironic that people who are telling us that EU immigration leads to non-homogenous populations are trying to make out that a population made up of people from all different parts of Europe as well as elsewhere was a homogenous population.

Oh for sure, you want the world to erupt in an absolute inferno, just have billions of people wander around where they like. Akin to telling the people of the country they can just mosey in and out of each others houses whenever they want, day or night, just take what they want while theyre at it.

Yeah, that would lead to something alright: A biblical crackdown. Same thing as now, only the reaction is happening in slow motion.
    I wasn't the person who suggested entirely unlimited worldwide migration - you were.

Because in the vast majority of human existence, that has been the case.

Youre living in a dreamworld, and it must be scary to fight reality that like that. Do you have access to a news channel at all?! That's rhetorical, I'm not interested in your tangential escapes, or in replying to you anymore.
    Well that's a real pity - there has been a dearth of people making serious efforts to sell us on the benefits of racial purity for the last 70 years or so. Can't think why.

Now where were we...oh yes, a massacre of innocent Jewish people by a far-right conspiracy theorist lunatic. Plus ca change, eh?

Youre living in a dreamworld,
    Oh the irony...

• Advertisement

Well that's a real pity - there has been a dearth of people making serious efforts to sell us on the benefits of racial purity for the last 70 years or so. Can't think why.

Now where were we...oh yes, a massacre of innocent Jewish people by a far-right conspiracy theorist lunatic. Plus ca change, eh?

Oh no youre absolutely right. More fool me for trying to offer rational explanation for the sh*t youre literally hearing and seeing day in day out all over the world, gathering pace day in and day out. Never let reality get in the way of a smug erroneous comment on the internet!

Look, don't worry about it. You think that this will all blow over (I genuinely would love to see what the future looks like in your head, and how it gets there, no joking). No matter what crap is spat out on an anonymous internet forum, reality will be there tomorrow and the day after, and events will continue unfolding. Insinuating Nazism is pathetic, however. Keep clinging to that winning strategy, and good luck with reality :)

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    Oh the irony...

I wish you and yours all the best, primarily because you need it. Nighty night!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Especially helpful to you.
    However, criticism of Israel similar to that leveled against any other country cannot be regarded as antisemitic.

Criticizing the actions of the Israeli army in Gaza is not antisemitic, by it's very definition.

So, again. Find me a member of the left (and this goes out to 2Scoops too) who is actually antisemitic.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Especially helpful to you.

Criticizing the actions of the Israeli army in Gaza is not antisemitic, by it's very definition.

So, again. Find me a member of the left (and this goes out to 2Scoops too) who is actually antisemitic.

Please don't put words into my mouth or presume to know my opinions. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Please don't put words into my mouth or presume to know my opinions. Thanks.

I'm not. I'm simply waiting for you to back up your claim that left wing people are antisemitic.

You can't. Next you (or someone else like you) will try claiming that the Left are the real fascists!

Facts are facts. The shooter was not a Trump supporter. He was extremely right wing, Christian and a conservative.

I'm not. I'm simply waiting for you to back up your claim that left wing people are antisemitic.

You can't. Next you (or someone else like you) will try claiming that the Left are the real fascists!

Facts are facts. The shooter was not a Trump supporter. He was extremely right wing, Christian and a conservative.

You just have done right there.

Someone made a lot of effort to answer that question and you don't seem to have noticed or acknowledged, which seems very bad manners. It was quite brave of them to post in a hostile thread.

We must be three or four pages on now and there's a few of you in it. It's almost deserving on the ''has anything creepy or unnerving happened to you'' thread. So weird!

If anyone has an agenda it's your bunch. Your obsessive hectoring proves that.

There always has been Jew hate from all political directions. It's a sign of your ignorance that you think you're justified in harassing me for stating that fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Protests in Pittsburg, house leaders chose not to travel with Trump.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2018/1030/1007455-pittsburg-synagogue/

Perhaps he was affected by the kind of rhetoric some people spout online. He didn't get this idea from Donald Trump. Time to really look at the language used around the Jewish homeland and the conflict?
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/pittsburgh-gunman-told-police-jews-were-committing-genocide-to-his-people/?fbclid=IwAR0YICPOgPO-o4t7kSohvtBTKUwzlTHeSWempiuJgDfcl4NOdEd7eNj5SDs

Hopefully, the world is waking up to antisemitism. A small ray of much needed hope. https://www.timesofisrael.com/denmark-wont-fund-groups-that-promote-bds-question-israels-legitimacy/?fbclid=IwAR1XsmEJsZ5_WYmJefGVv5p8NvJ75Qc6Tns4T-betZubFxk3UcMcaOWgLjE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

This guy thinks there is a pretty strong anti semitic element in left wing politics in the UK. Suppose he is wrong. And his wife who was threatened with rape , and all the other Jewish people or those who support them who were targeted. They are all wrong too. Just a coincidence.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/opinion/john-mann-mp-anti-semitism-and-how-labour-racists-threatened-my-wife-with-rape-1-9123392

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,581 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Bondo wrote: »
    So, the shooter hated Trump and yet it's Trump's fault the guy killed a bunch of Jews.

Can someone explain this to me?

You clearly don't understand the discussion.
    Thou shalt not do anything but follow the consensus or thou shall be cast as an anti semite.

The attack in question is a horrible, unthinkable atrocity, but the clamor to blame the Zionist Donald Trump for encouraging it is ill informed, lazy and the calling card of the mindless caricature of modern "Liberal" thought processes.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    You clearly don't understand the discussion.
    Thou shalt not do anything but follow the consensus or thou shall be cast as an anti semite.

The attack in question is a horrible, unthinkable atrocity, but the clamor to blame the Zionist Donald Trump for encouraging it is ill informed, lazy and the calling card of the mindless caricature of modern "Liberal" thought processes.

How does it work if a Jew doesn't follow the consensus of blaming DT or whatever the consensus is ?

What's the Boards definition of Zionism?

How does it work if a Jew doesn't follow the consensus of blaming DT or whatever the consensus is ?

What's the Boards definition of Zionism?

I have no idea what you're talking about.
    Not all Jewish people are part of a hive mind and individuals can assess things for themselves.
    Jewish people who for instance take issue with the treatment of Palestinians by Israel find themselves labelled as "self hating Jews" and other such nonsense.

As for the boards definition of Zionism, I appreciate your consistency in as much as your continue to be condescending and inflammatory whilst side stepping logic and reason.

Donald Trump is a Zionist, his actions are the actions of a Zionist and I'm sure Jared Kushner is delighted with those actions. Your inability to recognise simple facts that are openly and publicly provable is strange to say the least.

Glazers Out!

I have no idea what you're talking about.
    Not all Jewish people are part of a hive mind and individuals can assess things for themselves.
    Jewish people who for instance take issue with the treatment of Palestinians by Israel find themselves labelled as "self hating Jews" and other such nonsense.

As for the boards definition of Zionism, I appreciate your consistency in as much as your continue to be condescending and inflammatory whilst side stepping logic and reason.

Donald Trump is a Zionist, his actions are the actions of a Zionist and I'm sure Jared Kushner is delighted with those actions. Your inability to recognise simple facts that are openly and publicly provable is strange to say the least.

Ok. It was just a question.:eek:

I'm a supporter of Israel's right to exist and happy to say I'm a zionist so wondered what that means to people here. No talking to some people.

Wow. Hive mind? Nobody suggested such a thing...

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    This guy thinks there is a pretty strong anti semitic element in left wing politics in the UK. Suppose he is wrong. And his wife who was threatened with rape , and all the other Jewish people or those who support them who were targeted. They are all wrong too. Just a coincidence.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/opinion/john-mann-mp-anti-semitism-and-how-labour-racists-threatened-my-wife-with-rape-1-9123392

Don't hold your breath for an acknowledgement of your link, from them. My experience of the UK Left is that Jews who complain are always 'wrong' and accused of trying to smear dear leader, Jeremy Corbyn. This also happened recently. https://www.timesofisrael.com/jewish-woman-said-kicked-in-the-face-while-protesting-uk-labour-anti-semitism/

Personally I feel JC did a lot to further antisemitism not least by bringing the term ''antizionism'' into common parlance and normalising it.

Ok. It was just a question.:eek:

I'm a supporter of Israel's right to exist and happy to say I'm a zionist so wondered what that means to people here. No talking to some people.

Wow. Hive mind? Nobody suggested such a thing...

I never said you had suggested anything, I simply used "hive mind" as something of my own invention to make a point.
    Jesus, can you make it through one day without being shocked or outraged by something?

To be honest, to anyone in this day and age in the face of the brutal mistreatment of Palestinians by Israel to say that they are proud to be a Zionist is akin to saying that you were proud to support apartheid in South Africa in the 1980's, or proud to be a Nazi in 1940's Germany.
    The right of the Jewish state to exist is a moot point by now, it does exist but its behaviour is that of a tyrannical regime, not that of a down trodden home for a persecuted minority.

Shame on you for your repeated misrepresentation of people on this thread and your accusations of anti semitism against anyone questioning the status quo in Israel. Not to mention your mind boggling inability to recognise the fact that Donald Trump is the most hawkish Zionist president in living memory.

You need a serious reality check.
    No people deserve to be persecuted, be they Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Black or any religious persuasion or racial grouping.
    Jews have been massively persecuted throughout history and that is a massive injustice, it does not however excuse the persecution of Palestinians by Israel (who incidentally does not represent all Jewish people).
    If you're proud to be a Zionist in 2018 then you're either missing some important information or you actively relish the persecution of Palestinians in Israel, which is it?

Glazers Out!

I never said you had suggested anything, I simply used "hive mind" as something of my own invention to make a point.
    Jesus, can you make it through one day without being shocked or outraged by something?

To be honest, to anyone in this day and age in the face of the brutal mistreatment of Palestinians by Israel to say that they are proud to be a Zionist is akin to saying that you were proud to support apartheid in South Africa in the 1980's, or proud to be a Nazi in 1940's Germany.
    The right of the Jewish state to exist is a moot point by now, it does exist but its behaviour is that of a tyrannical regime, not that of a down trodden home for a persecuted minority.

Shame on you for your repeated misrepresentation of people on this thread and your accusations of anti semitism against anyone questioning the status quo in Israel. Not to mention your mind boggling inability to recognise the fact that Donald Trump is the most hawkish Zionist president in living memory.

No people deserve to be persecuted, be they Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Black or any religious persuasion or racial grouping.
    Jews have been massively persecuted throughout history and that is a massive injustice, it does not however excuse the persecution of Palestinians by Israel (who incidentally does not represent all Jewish people).
    If you're proud to be a Zionist in 2018 then you're either missing some important information or you actively relish the persecution of Palestinians in Israel, which is it?

I'm fine. I do find rudeness and long rants kind of mildly surprising but at least I manage to go through the day without screeching at people like you chaps do, so, I'm happy. Thanks for clarifying your views this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Can you be a supporter of Zionism and also be against the current Israeli government and their actions?

FatherTed wrote: »
    Can you be a supporter of Zionism and also be against the current Israeli government and their actions?

Yes.:)

• Advertisement

I'm fine. I do find rudeness and long rants kind of mildly surprising but at least I manage to go through the day without screeching at people like you chaps do, so, I'm happy. Thanks for clarifying your views this time.

My views have been clear from the get go.
    This attack was horrific and unjustified.
    The notion that Trump is in some way responsible for it when he's a raging Zionist is idiotic.
    Equating criticism of Israel with anti semitism is incorrect, inflammatory and libelous.

You are a Zionist, in this day and age that means you support the mistreatment of Palestinians in Israel.
    To say you are a Zionist and don't support Israeli policies against Palestinians is to say you are in fact not a zionist which suggests you don't have the first notion about the subject you're not only discussing but professing some level of expertise in.

Glazers Out!

Advertisement