Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

I use My Game Collection on Android for games and systems. It has a barcode scanner and finds boxart.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Have to say Nightdive have done a great job on Doom 64. The Xbox version has kb & m support and you can rebind everything allowing you to put each weapon on a separate button instead of the crappy previous/next weapon system on the bumpers for controllers. Wish the ports of Doom 1 & 2 allowed that, the only required buttons are automap, fire and use leaving a good 11 buttons that could be mapped to other functions.

Currently have the following mapping:
    Left Bumper: Fists/Chainsaw
    Left: Pistol
    Up: Shotgun/Super Shotgun
    Right: Chaingun
    Down: Rocket Launcher
    X: Plasma Rifle
    Y: BFG
    B: Unmaker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Anyone use any apps or websites for tracking your collection?

Just watching the latest Metal Jesus video and the Gameye app seems interesting, although no PC implementation from what I can see although it does look like you can backup the database to your PC.

I just have a crappy spreadsheet that I'm lazy with updating.

Handy to have something that can scan barcodes to bulk import, log price paid and complete, loose etc.
    Using Backloggery for years, just updated my collection lately.
    I dunno if it's what you want though, it's not that fancy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    DQXI on the Switch, most probably
    Also, Destiny 2 on the Stadia
    In terms of retro, and assuming that I get the DQ bug, I'll make headway on the original DQ games, as I just got them from China, a bunch of reproductions containing the english language hacks of DQ 1,2,3,5 and 6.

I'm also playing Destiny 2 on Stadia at the moment as it saves me from buying the season passes. I'm not sure how you can add me on there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

DinoRex wrote: »
    I'm also playing Destiny 2 on Stadia at the moment as it saves me from buying the season passes. I'm not sure how you can add me on there though.

You still need to pay 1000 silver per season for the seasonal content, the Stadia version means you don't need to pay €50 for the Forsaken and Shadowkeep expansions though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

DinoRex wrote: »

Doom Eternal is outstanding on the platform, it will be interesting to see how possible broadband restrictions affect it, but right now it is lag free

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭briany

Have to say that when I first played Mario 64, I was secretly disappointed by it. It's not that it's a bad game, quite the opposite, but there was just too much space. It could feel quite empty and cold at times. You could find yourself milling around without knowing what to do or where to go next. This something a little new for a Mario game. And that's not to mention that you could mis-execute a jump because you'd chosen to wrong perspective. Since Nintendo have brought out several 2D Mario platformers even since 3D has been well-established it makes me think that overall 2D is just better than 3D when it comes to platforming. Tighter level design, tighter controls, no need to worry about perspective shifts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

briany wrote: »
    Have to say that when I first played Mario 64, I was secretly disappointed by it. It's not that it's a bad game, quite the opposite, but there was just too much space. It could feel quite empty and cold at times. You could find yourself milling around without knowing what to do or where to go next. This something a little new for a Mario game. And that's not to mention that you could mis-execute a jump because you'd chosen to wrong perspective. Since Nintendo have brought out several 2D Mario platformers even since 3D has been well-established it makes me think that overall 2D is just better than 3D when it comes to platforming. Tighter level design, tighter controls, no need to worry about perspective shifts etc.

I 100% agree. Also had the same feeling when playing Ocarina of Time when it came out and wasn't a fan of it. They did indeed feel far more cold and empty when compared to the PS1 games I was also playing at the same time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well Ocarina always felt a big Janky to me. Mario 64 however was an absolute revelation. It was the first game to do 3D movement well and I still think it's a joy to control. There's a few iffy camera situations but overall considering the time it came out it managed 3D very well.

The PS1 couldn't come close to matching it. Any game that tried, Spyro, Ape Escape and others just had tiny areas and arenas that felt overly busy as opposed to the freedom you had with Mario 64. The N64 has the 3D platforming genre sown up that generation as the PS1 had nothing that could come close to replicating even the most mediocre Rare platformer.

Is 2D better than 3d??? Hard to say especially now that we have stuff like the Mario Galaxy games that are arguably as good or better than any 2D platformer.

What are the retro sports games that ye still play and would say are so well-made that they still stack up against modern titles?

For example, I think the PGA Tour Golf series on the Megadrive is still a great game, as is Top Ranking Tennis on the Gameboy.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I still love a bit of Neo Cup 98 and NHL Hockey!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Tecmo Bowl
    NBA Jam
    Mutant League Football

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Neo Turf Masters was an amazing game, in the arcades and on the ngpc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    I 100% agree. Also had the same feeling when playing Ocarina of Time when it came out and wasn't a fan of it.

100% this too. I distinctly remember thinking "this is gonna be epic.........dafuq is this??" I didn't go back to it for over a year I'd say, and it was only then that I got it.

Master of the Universe

Neo Turf Masters was an amazing game, in the arcades and on the ngpc.

What a game alright! Golf with a proper arcade feel, not an easy thing to do. It's one of those games I always forget about and fire up randomly, only to have a blast.
    Inviere wrote: »
    100% this too. I distinctly remember thinking "this is gonna be epic.........dafuq is this??" I didn't go back to it for over a year I'd say, and it was only then that I got it.

I played it after going through text and narrative heavy games like FFVII and Metal Gear Solid on the PS1, so what I was expecting and what I got were completely different.

I hadn't played a Zelda game since ALTTP (which at that age, might as well have been decades previously!) so what a Zelda game 'felt like' was probably lost on me at the time too and I was going into it expecting some kind of open world RPG with loads of text and characters - rather than big open fields and NPCs with one line of dialogue.

o1s1n wrote: »
    What a game alright! Golf with a proper arcade feel, not an easy thing to do. It's one of those games I always forget about and fire up randomly, only to have a blast.

I love it too but once you get past hole 9 the wind becomes totally random and takes the joy out of it.
    Like the wind is 20mph north and you end up in the water.
    next shot and its 15mph south,then 20 west!
    Feels like you are getting robbed.
    I wish someone would rewrite it and "fix it".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I love it too but once you get past hole 9 the wind becomes totally random and takes the joy out of it.
    Like the wind is 20mph north and you end up in the water.
    next shot and its 15mph south,then 20 west!
    Feels like you are getting robbed.
    I wish someone would rewrite it and "fix it".

Changing the difficulty in the soft DIP settings maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

ah yes neo turf master is a classic for having a few drinks with friends. The Neo CD version has an extra hidden 5th course if you are tired of the original 4.

Haven't played it much now since I got the Virtua Golf set up with the track ball control panel on the naomi cab recently. Really enjoying this one too. I would have bet my life I had Virtua Golf on the Dreamcast years ago but it was never released outside the arcade.

ah yes neo turf master is a classic for having a few drinks with friends. The Neo CD version has an extra hidden 5th course if you are tired of the original 4.

Haven't played it much now since I got the Virtua Golf set up with the track ball control panel on the naomi cab recently. Really enjoying this one too. I would have bet my life I had Virtua Golf on the Dreamcast years ago but it was never released outside the arcade.

If the time ever comes let me know,
    Always fancied virtua golf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And people still think is game is a masterpiece...

507073.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Got my Sega Collect Works from Read Only Memory today, fantastic book!

Finished the Sega book last night. It's a decent read - the written material isn't anything new but it skips along at a good pace with some quotes from key Sega personnel and summarises the 16-bit days for Sega.

The rest of the book is dedicated to documentation, schematics, research images, backgrounds and characters. Some nice shots of Sega hardware from controllers to add-ons.

Can anyone recommend any other decent books on Sega?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not sure about Sega books, but the Switch is proving to be a decent host of excellent Sega Arcade and Console ports.
    They've transitioned well from the AGES series on the 3DS and, as a result, I picked up G-LOC yesterday from the Japanese eShop.
    And a lovely translation it is too!
    Only a tenner or so, 1000 yen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone know if GameStop ship from Ireland? Smyth's have closed their online orders so my pre-order of Resident Evil 3 is useless. Amazon are prioritising certain deliveries so it could be weeks before it shows up, especially as I'm currently waiting two weeks for a parcel from the UK already. GameStop unfortunately may be the quickest option.

Anyone know if GameStop ship from Ireland? Smyth's have closed their online orders so my pre-order of Resident Evil 3 is useless. Amazon are prioritising certain deliveries so it could be weeks before it shows up, especially as I'm currently waiting two weeks for a parcel from the UK already. GameStop unfortunately may be the quickest option.

I was on their site today and they've closed down operations until the all-clear as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

My friends got a call about P5 Royal, they gave him a voucher because he partially paid, couldn't get the one with all the extras just the normal one .

They'd a post online but might not count now
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10163012751495062&id=273761945061

Why are so many DS and Advance games still quite expensive? OG Gameboy games can still be found for not much money even though they're older and there's a collectors' market for those. I was thinking that after I'd gotten all the loose Gameboy games I want to play, I might get some DS and Advance stuff, but looking at the prices many of those games go for (excluding your shovelware), I might give that a miss.

briany wrote: »
    Why are so many DS and Advance games still quite expensive? OG Gameboy games can still be found for not much money even though they're older and there's a collectors' market for those. I was thinking that after I'd gotten all the loose Gameboy games I want to play, I might get some DS and Advance stuff, but looking at the prices many of those games go for (excluding your shovelware), I might give that a miss.

It's because the market is absolutely riddles with bootlegs. You're paying a premium on knowing you'll have get a genuine cart.

Also there's far more super rare gba and DS games.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's because the market is absolutely riddles with bootlegs. You're paying a premium on knowing you'll have get a genuine cart.

Also there's far more super rare gba and DS games.

Which are?
    Come on Retr0, you know you love lists...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭Inviere

Advertisement