Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭dav09

Bit off topic but saw this

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/356510011/3dfort-3d-printer-print-anything-you-want?ref=ezgiri&utm_source=jellop&ja=jcf&utm_medium=facebook&utm_term=014.jcf&utm_content=3DFort-CL03&utm_campaign=1587234771247.co0s

Wondering if it's any good? I know some lads here are experienced with 3D printers. Want this to make a few small bits for Lazer Steak. Nothing too over the top

I've 2 working 3D printers at the minute, and what I can say is:

1: Be prepared to maintain it, parts break regularly on most printers (depending on use) so taking it apart can become a regular occurrence (they've gotten better in general over the past year or two).
    2: The print quality is terrible by the photos, no heated bed and lots of warping.
    3: Delivery date for this is stated as 6 months (they usually take longer)
    4: This looks like a typical scam, there have been tonnes on "Entry Level" 3D printers on Kickstarter over the years and I would say on 70% backers received 0, look at the ONO/OLO, Obsidian and the many other (less high profile) failures. If I were buying an entry-level 3d printer now, I'd be looking more towards the Ender 3 (probably less than 200) or one of the original Prusa I3 clone kits (Probably less than 150 now). Another cool one was Hobbyking's Turnigy Fabrikator V2 if you can find one, they were small form factor like the one mentioned, very very cheap and worked reasonably well it seemed.

Always worth a try especially if you have what you need already to do it but you could probably use it again when stuff gets back to normal/normalish for tourneys.

That he is yeah! He's unbelievable, my level and his level are absolutely miles apart, to get from level 8 to 10 or 11 is an enormous setup and I believe that is true yeah.

Yeah I believe one of the other guys involved has some streaming cameras (that were supposed to be used for tournaments), I have mics, mic stands and HD PVR + SD capture card, audio interfaces so a few bits, I'm sure we could rustle everything together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

dav09 wrote: »
    I've 2 working 3D printers at the minute, and what I can say is:

1: Be prepared to maintain it, parts break regularly on most printers (depending on use) so taking it apart can become a regular occurrence (they've gotten better in general over the past year or two).
    2: The print quality is terrible by the photos, no heated bed and lots of warping.
    3: Delivery date for this is stated as 6 months (they usually take longer)
    4: This looks like a typical scam, there have been tonnes on "Entry Level" 3D printers on Kickstarter over the years and I would say on 70% backers received 0, look at the ONO/OLO, Obsidian and the many other (less high profile) failures. If I were buying an entry-level 3d printer now, I'd be looking more towards the Ender 3 (probably less than 200) or one of the original Prusa I3 clone kits (Probably less than 150 now). Another cool one was Hobbyking's Turnigy Fabrikator V2 if you can find one, they were small form factor like the one mentioned, very very cheap and worked reasonably well it seemed.

Kind of thought it might have been a bit too good to be true. I'd say I'm just better off paying someone to print me stuff on a good printer when I need them really.

Thanks for the insight dude

Kind of thought it might have been a bit too good to be true. I'd say I'm just better off paying someone to print me stuff on a good printer when I need them really.

It does seem that way unfortunately, and even if so it'll probably be close to junk quality-wise. Maybe you are but they can be good fun for sure and with good maintenance they can last a while without issues, and for only a few quid more you could have a cheap kit delivered with parcel motel which would probably give decent results. Anet A8 Prusa I3 Clone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Inviere

Reminds me of a recent Linus video, well worth watching

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I've 2 working 3D printers at the minute...

I’ve haven’t been on A&R enough lately, has Steve SI x2 changed his username again? :D

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I’ve haven’t been on A&R enough lately, has Steve SI x2 changed his username again? :D

I was wondering what the Greek Mother was up to these days :) As for Steve, he popped in recently enough, think he's printing PPE for front line services, alongside being a God-tier collector as always

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Inviere wrote: »
    I was wondering what the Greek Mother was up to these days :) As for Steve, he popped in recently enough, think he's printing PPE for front line services, alongside being a God-tier collector as always

Fair play! Great to see folks helping out in whatever way they can (makes a change from all the assholes out there not taking it seriously). There's hope for humanity yet. :D

Not had a chance to game much the last while, until AC came along on the Switch that is. Actually playing the Switch quite a bit in handheld mode surprisingly enough for me - only because of the Split Pad Pro, I just can't use the normal joycons. I also bought the 3 Picross S games and will probably get no. 4 when it comes out this week - I blame Retr0 for that. :D

Back to retro though - has anyone picked up that PC Engine mini yet? I do like the look of the black CoreGrafx one. Bit pricey though.

How's yourself? Still tinkering with emulator front-ends or actually getting to play some games? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Back to retro though - has anyone picked up that PC Engine mini yet? I do like the look of the black CoreGrafx one. Bit pricey though.

I picked up the PC Engine Mini from Amazon.jp
    It's pretty nice, performs exactly as you would expect, compared to all the other mini consoles on the market.
    The game selection is there, in two sets of menus, one for PC Engine (a large number) and one for TG-16 (a much smaller selection) but I expect the hack that is sure to come will improve things there.
    I would say it'll have to be, like the PS-Mini effort, include USB stick support, as CD game images are likely to be large and fill tons of space.
    The controller provided is the same as the console original and doesn't have a turbo function, though I'm not bothered by that.
    Again, it would be nice to improve the console with a fan translation of Snatcher, for example.
    We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

That he is yeah! He's unbelievable, my level and his level are absolutely miles apart, to get from level 8 to 10 or 11 is an enormous setup and I believe that is true yeah.
    He can stay level 8 if he's a rake of pints too, still twice as good as me at it, even by closing he was still going on thought I'd have done chance by then but no way, I honestly dunno how he does it.

• Advertisement

He can stay level 8 if he's a rake of pints too, still twice as good as me at it, even by closing he was still going on thought I'd have done chance by then but no way, I honestly dunno how he does it.
    Yeah very impressive, neither do I at all.

Most of my experience on it has been after a rake of pints in fairness but I think they have the opposite effect on me with that game! Hoping to have a much better range or rhythm games for when we're back up and running, things in the works but we'll see what happens, there's plenty from Japan which are good fun. I went to Las Vegas Soho London a month or two ago before this all kicked off for some research and they've some really cool stuff there.

How's yourself? Still tinkering with emulator front-ends or actually getting to play some games? :pac:

All good thankfully. Mostly tinkering, some playing :D Ah no my setup is largely finished, the most recent tinkering was just updating my mame roms to .220, nothing fun or exciting. Finished Twilight Princess there last week, not sure what to play next :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Inviere wrote: »
    As for Steve, he popped in recently enough, think he's printing PPE for front line services, alongside being a God-tier collector as always

Yep I'm still around and still 3D printing like mad :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not been playing a lot of games recently but going through the GDQ archive of speedruns and enjoying it a lot. It's great for discovering new games. Really like 'The Mexican Runner' who plays some insanely tough NES games. Was watching him play Adventure Island 2. It looks really good and a game I would have brushed over and ignored before.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,600 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Yep I'm still around and still 3D printing like mad :)

Fair play to you! When I heard there were people using their 3D printers to create frontline medical equipment I had a feeling your one would be churning stuff out :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was the same. Saw it on the news and thought I bet Steve is doing that right now

Yeah very impressive, neither do I at all.

Most of my experience on it has been after a rake of pints in fairness but I think they have the opposite effect on me with that game! Hoping to have a much better range or rhythm games for when we're back up and running, things in the works but we'll see what happens, there's plenty from Japan which are good fun. I went to Las Vegas Soho London a month or two ago before this all kicked off for some research and they've some really cool stuff there.
    Ton Ton in Amsterdam used to do a thing twice a year it's a warehouse full of arcade cabs and might be something to keep an eye on maybe? The most popular one there there was BishiBashi, I was there 3 hours, I couldn't get a go of it, Chabudai (table flip) was next to it and if was busy enough so I'd play that and then hang around for Bishi Bashi but it never let up.

Not really rhythm really though

Ton Ton in Amsterdam used to do a thing twice a year it's a warehouse full of arcade cabs and might be something to keep an eye on maybe? The most popular one there there was BishiBashi, I was there 3 hours, I couldn't get a go of it, Chabudai (table flip) was next to it and if was busy enough so I'd play that and then hang around for Bishi Bashi but it never let up.

Not really rhythm really though

Nice and I certainly will. I haven't actually heard of BishiBashi but it looks cool, Cho Chabudai Gaeshi is one we discussed already and all of us thought it was really cool, so if we do go that route then that's one that could make an appearance. And yeah not just rhythm games, we're considering anything.

Any idea what else was popular? Some of the ones I really enjoyed were Sound Voltex, Groove Coaster, Jubeat, Taiko no Tatsujin and a few others.

Bishi Bashi Special in on PS1 and I think it only got a European release in the west. It's a fantastic game, really fun party game. I remember magazines would sing its praises back during that era.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    Fair play to you! When I heard there were people using their 3D printers to create frontline medical equipment I had a feeling your one would be churning stuff out :)
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I was the same. Saw it on the news and thought I bet Steve is doing that right now

Yeah, I have a reasonable size 3D print farm now for my side business, so have been churning out face visors and some other bits. Not printing masks though as the 3D printed ones are questionable at best.
    If anyone is in healthcare and needs these things please do jump on the 3D Printing Ireland facebook group as there's a bunch of people there ready and willing to help all over Ireland.

• Advertisement

Nice and I certainly will. I haven't actually heard of BishiBashi but it looks cool, Cho Chabudai Gaeshi is one we discussed and all of us thought it was really cool, so if we do go that route then that's one that could make an appearance. And yeah not just rhythm games, we're considering anything.

Any idea what else was popular? Some of the ones I really enjoyed were Sound Voltex, Groove Coaster, Taiko no Tatsujin and a few others.
    DDR was always full they'd like 6 set up together on a platform, I'll send you the event link, was yeeears ago but might get ideas, has loads of photos and stuff.
    They'd a cardboard giant Jenga they'd to use a forklift for that was popular too.
    Maybe Crossy Road was a bit, lots of couples so I think the proper game stuff wasn't as busy, like pinball wasnt, no one wanted House of Dead so we cleared it, casual is probably the word.

DDR was always full they'd like 6 set up together on a platform, I'll send you the event link, was yeeears ago but might get ideas, has loads of photos and stuff.
    They'd a cardboard giant Jenga they'd to use a forklift for that was popular too.
    Maybe Crossy Road was a bit, lots of couples so I think the proper game stuff wasn't as busy, like pinball wasnt, no one wanted House of Dead so we cleared it, casual is probably the word.

Cool, some of that stuff sounds interesting for sure and thanks for the info, I'll check out what sent on that's great.

Cool, some of that stuff sounds interesting for sure and thanks for the info, I'll check out what sent on that's great.
    I found this one in my photos, no idea what it is though
    Photo

How is N64 emulation coming along?

One thing about it was the texture filtering looked all kinds of wrong on emulation and the recent DF retro video on the excellent Doom 64 conversion highlighted this. Apparently the N64 used a weird three point sampling method for textures which actually antialiased daigonal lines in textures unlike using the normal technique which produces stepped artifacts. The developer had to use custom shaders to get the effect, is something similar in current N64 emulators?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    How is N64 emulation coming along?

One thing about it was the texture filtering looked all kinds of wrong on emulation and the recent DF retro video on the excellent Doom 64 conversion highlighted this. Apparently the N64 used a weird three point sampling method for textures which actually antialiased daigonal lines in textures unlike using the normal technique which produces stepped artifacts. The developer had to use custom shaders to get the effect, is something similar in current N64 emulators?

Seen that video myself, t'was interesting for sure. In terms of emulating N64, the Mupen64 Plus core with full Angrylion support is the closest I've ever seen N64 emulation come to the original hardware's look. It needs a fast cpu, so forget about running it on a Pi etc. However, I prefer not to use Angrylion, as while it's hugely accurate, I much prefer to upscale the internal resolution of N64 games....they look like absolute cack, even on original hardware. The only way I can enjoy them is with the resolution increased. I'm not sure how Angrylion handles the three point sampling method, a lot of the info out there is years old at this stage & doesn't reflect recent developments.

"Angrylion is the most accurate the graphics are going to get with an N64 emulator – and it can be made relatively fast now thanks to the multithreading capabilities of Angrylion RDP Plus, as well as the Parallel RSP dynarec. You cannot internally change the resolution with Angrylion beyond what the N64 was capable of.
    " - https://www.libretro.com/index.php/category/nintendo-64/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Clearing out the attic space atm because I've nothing better to do. Came across these two gems. The 32X manual is pretty much pristine too.

510427.jpeg

Neo geo pocket flashcart just released.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

And PC-Engine mini has been modded to add more games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9adMIQnQONQ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just seen a bunch of the 1up Machines in Walmart in America were reduced to $50. Could be worth keeping an eye on sites over here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Probably a stupid question but before I pull the trigger on the PC Engine Mini, am I right in saying all the games apart from Snatcher are English? I see the system language can be set to English just wondering how many games are English.

Edit: From reviews I see the majority of games are PC Engine which I believe are Japanese and some are TG16, but I don't think the language barrier is an issue for most games?

Advertisement