Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,558 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wow, that's some release! I didn't know there was a Viewpoint sequel in production, let alone for the N64.

For an N64 game, it doesn't look half bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

My friends got a call about P5 Royal, they gave him a voucher because he partially paid, couldn't get the one with all the extras just the normal one .

They'd a post online but might not count now
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10163012751495062&id=273761945061

When I posted their website said online orders still open, looks like online orders are closed now.

Guess I'll just hold off for now and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

DaveyDave wrote: »
    When I posted their website said online orders still open, looks like online orders are closed now.

Guess I'll just hold off for now and see what happens.
    I hope you get sorted, I was months finding 5 the first time because my order got cancelled, first time ... Second time ... Third time.
    I was fuming.
    Mine is dispatched from Amazon so hopefully it'll be here soon.
    My Rune Factory on Switch just arrived today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Doge

Absolutely cracking feature here on Crash Bandicoot by Ars Technica in which Naughty Dog co-founder Andy Gavin is interviewed.

He gets into the technical details of how they managed to get the game to look so well whilst maintaining a decent frame rate, but he explains it in a way which is easy to understand.
    And the video editing that supplements it is top notch also.

Its great to see someone so knowledgeable who remembers the techniques in detail like it was yesterday.
    Some of his techniques were a revolutionary first and are used to this day in gaming.

Theres also the extended interview which was uploaded a week ago and is over 2 hours 10 mins long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He's been talking about it in magazines and articles for a while now, first heard this stuff in retrogamer magazine. Great to see it in video form.

As much as I think the Crash Bandicoot games are second tier platformers, Christ they looked gorgeous at the time and the art as aged relatively well. Have to say, he is a genius programmer and weird to see them come from making utter scutter on PC and megadrive (rings of power is gross) to what they are today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

You still need to pay 1000 silver per season for the seasonal content, the Stadia version means you don't need to pay €50 for the Forsaken and Shadowkeep expansions though.

Nope. Have gotten every season so far. I haven't even a clue what Siliver does.

Those seasons just aren't unlocked on my PC or PS4 with the same account.

I haven't had to pay anything at all as I have a 3 month Stadia pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

DinoRex wrote: »
    Nope. Have gotten every season so far. I haven't even a clue what Siliver does.

Those seasons just aren't unlocked on my PC or PS4 with the same account.

I haven't had to pay anything at all as I have a 3 month Stadia pass.

Seasons are unlocked on all platforms if bought on one on your linked account, the expansions are platform specific though.

Is there any consoles outside the usual Nintendo, Sega and Sony stuff that is worth looking at that isn't mad money?

Thinking about ordering the PC Engine Mini to branch out a bit but I'm wondering if there's anything else I could collect for, 16bit and newer.

Is there any consoles outside the usual Nintendo, Sega and Sony stuff that is worth looking at that isn't mad money?

Thinking about ordering the PC Engine Mini to branch out a bit but I'm wondering if there's anything else I could collect for, 16bit and newer.

Amazon Japan have some Turbografx 16s and Core Grafx Minis atm if you want the US or EU versions, works out at €125 including shipping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was thinking of buying the PC Engine mini but I just got a rgb out for my TG16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

I've been seriously thinking of getting a pc engine/core Grafx, but them I'm looking at some of the game prices and I don't know if it's hole I want to fall into!

But the amount of arcade ports on that system is seriously impressive, very cool.

I was looking at the ninja warriors (which is an arm and a leg for the arcade triplescreen), but it was only released on the pc engine in Japan. Looks like a decent port. Then I saw the port on the megacd, really good! And the title music, and prologue added in, neat :)

This prologue is the megacd in a nutshell, brilliantly mad, but if you want to skip to one of the best theme tunes evaaaar, go to 3.50 min mark

Basically I'm mixed up about getting into other formats :p

Master of the Universe

Everyone should have a PC Engine. They're brilliant.

Games can get pricey alright, but there's always an Everdrive you can pick up to get around that.

And then there's this lad who sells those expensive RGB cables that I keep banging on about :pac:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scart-RGB-Cable-for-PC-Engine-TurboGrafx16-EXT-Connector/174244304819?hash=item2891c517b3:g:UtQAAOxyaRZR2X4C

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gradius wrote: »
    I've been seriously thinking of getting a pc engine/core Grafx, but them I'm looking at some of the game prices and I don't know if it's hole I want to fall into!

But the amount of arcade ports on that system is seriously impressive, very cool.

I was looking at the ninja warriors (which is an arm and a leg for the arcade triplescreen), but it was only released on the pc engine in Japan. Looks like a decent port. Then I saw the port on the megacd, really good! And the title music, and prologue added in, neat :)

This prologue is the megacd in a nutshell, brilliantly mad, but if you want to skip to one of the best theme tunes evaaaar, go to 3.50 min mark

Basically I'm mixed up about getting into other formats :p

The arcade version is on PS4, possibly Switch.

It's not a great game.

What is a great game however is the stupidly expensive SNES version of the game. It's afar better and deeper game and is loads of fun.

But even better than that is the remake on PS4/Switch called The Ninja Saviors which enhances the already brilliant SNES original and makes it an even better game.

Honestly only really worth playing the SNES games and enhanced remake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just bought the PC Engine Mini from Amazon.jp, easiest €125 I ever spent!

Only question is, am I limited to the standard controller or is there an option out there to use a three or six button controller, as with the original console?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just bought the PC Engine Mini from Amazon.jp, easiest €125 I ever spent!

Only question is, am I limited to the standard controller or is there an option out there to use a three or six button controller, as with the original console?

Not sure. I would have gotten the Core Grafx or the Turbografx for the turbo pad and Salamander, I assume you won't play Tokumeki Memorial anyway.

Not sure. I would have gotten the Core Grafx or the Turbografx for the turbo pad and Salamander, I assume you won't play Tokumeki Memorial anyway.

Is Salamander the only game in the difference between the formats?
    I would imagine a hack will be incoming, as it has for every other "mini" format that will allow such additions to be made.

Anyhow, it'll sit nicely alongside my TG-16 and Turbo-Express

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is Salamander the only game in the difference between the formats?
    I would imagine a hack will be incoming, as it has for every other "mini" format that will allow such additions to be made.

Anyhow, it'll sit nicely alongside my TG-16 and Turbo-Express

Salamader and the new port of Salamander. The two bonus games from Tokumeki can still be accessed via Salamander too.

I know the correct answer is to get a Trinitron but besides that what's the best way to connect a PS2 up to a big LCD? Are RGB SCARTs handy to come by?

I know the correct answer is to get a Trinitron but besides that what's the best way to connect a PS2 up to a big LCD? Are RGB SCARTs handy to come by?

If you have a later model fat PS2 with the inbuilt IR or the slim the best way would probably be a component cable.

These aren't too difficult to come by either as the PS3 has the same analogue av port.

If you have a later model fat PS2 with the inbuilt IR or the slim the best way would probably be a component cable.

These aren't too difficult to come by either as the PS3 has the same analogue av port.

I got lazy, and hooked a region free PS2 up to my 42" Plasma via a HDMI convertor... Outrun Coast2Coast looks amazing!
    It is just an alternate version of the component output though, so the results are probably the same.

• Advertisement

As someone just looking to try something different, is there any reason to not go with the EU PC Engine Mini? Not familiar with the system just want to try something different so not too clued up on the differences.

As someone just looking to try something different, is there any reason to not go with the EU PC Engine Mini? Not familiar with the system just want to try something different so not too clued up on the differences.

The only differences are the casing and one different game, Tokumeki Memorial(JP) or Salamander(US/EU). The only place that has them atm is Amazon Japan for €125 including shipping and VAT, about €10 more than the price on Amazon UK.

The only differences are the casing and one different game, Tokumeki Memorial(JP) or Salamander(US/EU). The only place that has them atm is Amazon Japan for €125 including shipping and VAT, about €10 more than the price on Amazon UK.

I have Salamander on the Famicom, Life Force on the NES and on the TG-16 via the Turbo Everdrive, so that should be enough until the system is hacked and I can add it myself.

Master of the Universe

Did anyone see the new Streets of Rage 4 trailer that came out yesterday?

You can play through it as the original characters and even with the Streets of Rage 1 & 2 soundtracks!

I've gone from vaguely interested to purchasing a physical copy from limited run games :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Jack burton

o1s1n wrote: »
    Did anyone see the new Streets of Rage 4 trailer that came out yesterday?

You can play through it as the original characters and even with the Streets of Rage 1 & 2 soundtracks!

I've gone from vaguely interested to purchasing a physical copy from limited run games :D

Same here. I get paid on the 25th so have to get a physical one now.

Really looking like it will be fantastic. Huge roster of playable characters.

Wonder were any of the devs also involved in the still pretty active modding scene for SOR?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Any idea when the pc engine will get an eu release

smurf492 wrote: »
    Any idea when the pc engine will get an eu release

Unknown at this time, you can buy the EU model from Amazon Japan right now for €125 including shipping and VAT though.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B07QD9GMLM/

Master of the Universe

Same here. I get paid on the 25th so have to get a physical one now.

Really looking like it will be fantastic. Huge roster of playable characters.

Wonder were any of the devs also involved in the still pretty active modding scene for SOR?

I'd say they have to at least playing some of the mods alright! I didn't know it was still active, that's this afternoons gaming sorted for me :D

Would love to see if I can get SOR4 going on a CRT, I wonder how difficult it is to downscale Switch's digital signal to 240p analogue?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,937 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Want your image on the Speccy version of Chase HQ (the best 8-bit computer version imo!)? €9.60, he's donating the money to the NHS charities. I've seen a few others people have put on twitter and they're pretty good.

https://twitter.com/iHarbonaut/status/1248200519430164480?s=20

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

I need my own place.

My dad showed me a box in the shed. Said it was sitting there for over a year. Wanted to know whats in it as my mam found it in the attic and wants to throw it out.

My Neo Geo MVS board and supergun and all my MVS games....

I'll have to test it later to see if it's even working.

Advertisement