Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dav09

Please do!

There :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v4pNYwzc_vWKsrkLOjGTZEQybkRLaM8D

Photos are from 2 different visits. Keep in mind, many of these were taken while climbing up and over (and under) cabs backed up one by one in storage cabinets and containers, hence the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Jesus there are at least 5 duets. Thanks for posting those photos. When I was last talking to Dots about buying some boards she said some other lad was interested. Must have been you! Did anyone buy golfing greats for the 100 asking price :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Twin Daytona is a grail cab for me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Just like a certain other spot in Dublin City centre :)

Fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dav09

Jesus there are at least 5 duets. Thanks for posting those photos. When I was last talking to Dots about buying some boards she said some other lad was interested. Must have been you! Did anyone buy golfing greats for the 100 asking price :D

There are 8-10 I believe, I counted when there, I assume Arcade Club got a few. You'd need a forflilt to get one of those into a van with the weight of them!

Must have been, I was told "A few are interested".

Yeah, it's a pity most of the racers weren't for sale either, although we've 5 or 6 racers now at Level Up so we've probably enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Are Nintendo planning on releasing any more mini consoles or what's the story? Unlike the NES and SNES minis already released, I would actually consider putting money down on an N64 mini because that console has always had questionable emulation.

Also, a Gameboy Classic would be class. I think that would sell like hotcakes especially if it had a selection of games preloaded, a slot for real cartridges, and a proper old school LCD screen with a switchable backlight for a classic or modern feel. Oh, and a link cable port.

And you'd think Nintendo would have the know-how to do what emulation has failed to with the N64. If all else fails, they could just copy the physical system architecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

L69ABQn_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Yes

briany wrote: »
    and a proper old school LCD screen with a switchable backlight for a classic or modern feel.

I'd say a GameBoy Classic is a definite possibility, though I'd happily consign those OG screens to the bin....they're horrendous to use. I always found the GameBoy experience was enhanced with the various different screen mods....not exactly original, but superior in every way. Nostalgia only takes you so far :o
    And you'd think Nintendo would have the know-how to do what emulation has failed to with the N64. If all else fails, they could just copy the physical system architecture.

N64 emulation is in the best shape it's ever been. There's very active development going on with more than one emulator. It's obviously got a ways to go before being considered 'perfect', but the myth that emulation has failed the N64 is completely untrue imo, certainly now more than ever. The simplicity now of installing a RetroArch core, configuring the settings the way you like them, saving them, and then just playing the games you want has made it easier than ever - it can be hardware intensive though, particularly the low level AngryLion gpu renderer, but it's the most hardware accurate N64 rendering there's been to date (so accurate in fact that I don't use it - I much prefer the renderers that allow you to crank the internal resolution - stock N64 graphics are really jarring these days).

That said, I'm sure Nintendo could do an N64 Mini...I wouldn't be hopeful of a shrunk down N64 though, I'd say that'd be pretty pricey to manufacture. An SOC approach, much like the other mini's, would be more likely - though it'd need to be significantly more powerful, and I doubt you'd be picking one up for €79. Ninty have dabbled in N64 emulation like the VC, so it's not as if they'd be starting from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Inviere wrote: »
    I'd say a GameBoy Classic is a definite possibility, though I'd happily consign those OG screens to the bin....they're horrendous to use. I always found the GameBoy experience was enhanced with the various different screen mods....not exactly original, but superior in every way. Nostalgia only takes you so far :o

N64 emulation is in the best shape it's ever been. There's very active development going on with more than one emulator. It's obviously got a ways to go before being considered 'perfect', but the myth that emulation has failed the N64 is completely untrue imo, certainly now more than ever. The simplicity now of installing a RetroArch core, configuring the settings the way you like them, saving them, and then just playing the games you want has made it easier than ever - it can be hardware intensive though, particularly the low level AngryLion gpu renderer, but it's the most hardware accurate N64 rendering there's been to date (so accurate in fact that I don't use it - I much prefer the renderers that allow you to crank the internal resolution - stock N64 graphics are really jarring these days).

That said, I'm sure Nintendo could do an N64 Mini...I wouldn't be hopeful of a shrunk down N64 though, I'd say that'd be pretty pricey to manufacture. An SOC approach, much like the other mini's, would be more likely - though it'd need to be significantly more powerful, and I doubt you'd be picking one up for €79. Ninty have dabbled in N64 emulation like the VC, so it's not as if they'd be starting from scratch.

One thing I'll say about the OG GB screen is that the nature of it means your eyes don't perceive the pixellation in the way they would with, say, a Game Gear. Gives games a timeless look because it was out of date even when it was new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

An OG gameboy would probably do well alright.

I don't imagine Saturn/N64/DC mini consoles would be a viable project for a few years till the hardware required to emulate them gets cheap enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As for a Gameboy Mini, I think it might be possible. However I'll be plonking down my money on this:

https://www.analogue.co/pocket/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Any interest in a group going down to Level Up? Planning to head down in the next few weeks, wondering if there's any interest in a few in and around Dublin heading down and making a day of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Any interest in a group going down to Level Up? Planning to head down in the next few weeks, wondering if there's any interest in a few in and around Dublin heading down and making a day of it?

Where's Level Up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Where's Level Up ?

Limerick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm sorely tempted to pull the trigger, again, on a Nuon...
    But this one comes with no controllers and no Tempest 3000!
    I'm pretty sure a USB controller can be hacked to work just fine with the Nuon, and the Nuon can run CDRs and DVDrs, but I can't find the right "files" anywhere.
    I'm pretty happy talking about it as I don't think Nuon games have been for sale in a long, long time!
    Any advice out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Been a few times already it's not far from me so if I'm free whatever date is picked I can drop over
    Can't remember we're you at a beers befire?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Been a few times already it's not far from me so if I'm free whatever date is picked I can drop over

I'd certainly consider it, drive down bringing a few with me in the car, drive back again in the evening.
    But I would have to be off, so I'm limited to Saturdays really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

My shift is coming back on weekends so it will be the end of March before I have another free Saturday, but that gives time to figure out if people are interested.

I'm also happy to drive but only 2 others will fit in the Golf, not much room behind the driver seat for a long drive.

I was just at the one last February, didn't get a chance to go to the others :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

My shift is coming back on weekends so it will be the end of March before I have another free Saturday, but that gives time to figure out if people are interested
    Pity it's later in March, Gamerfest is early March (7/8th) so Sparks would be around for that.
    I was just at the one last February, didn't get a chance to go to the others :(
    I was probably there, I haven't missed one in ages but so bad remembering which person is which sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'd certainly consider it, drive down bringing a few with me in the car, drive back again in the evening.
    But I would have to be off, so I'm limited to Saturdays really.

Dependent on dates I'd be up for this too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not being reported in most of the big games publications because, hey the next fortnite media crossover is more important than someone actually dying, but Kazuhisa Hashimoto has died.

He worked on the Gradius port to the NES and created the famous Konami code. He worked on loads of legendary games while at konami.

I'm shopping for a Nuon again...
    And I've found an affordable one, in fact they are all affordable.
    But none have controllers!
    Apparently, for no reason anyone can come up with, the controllers were all snapped up a number of years ago and now command higher prices than the machine itself!
    Apparently there is a custom chip inside that means you can't use a third party hacked usb pad, you have to have the chip in the controller to handshake with the Nuon to work.
    Someone, two years ago, perfected a rotary/digital controller that they sold but I'm not sure if they are still selling them, we shall see.
    Certainly, a lot of trouble to go through to play Tempest 3000!

Give us a shout if you pick one up and decide to sell it again.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Give us a shout if you pick one up and decide to sell it again.

Bitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

As hinted at a few weeks back a final run of the NT Mini on it's way from Analogue. Shipping in July.
    Premium stuff of course, 500 euro with shipping (then add in the customs screwjob).

https://www.analogue.co/editions/nt-mini-noir/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Playing the original Doom on Switch with the great sale on at the moment that includes Doom 2 and 3.

Playing on the default difficulty, challenging enough on the first episode even though I played it many times before.

Still amazes, unbelievable that a 27 year old game holds up so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Playing the original Doom on Switch with the great sale on at the moment that includes Doom 2 and 3.

Playing on the default difficulty, challenging enough on the first episode even though I played it many times before.

Still amazes, unbelievable that a 27 year old game holds up so well.

Of the 3 original episodes, the first is the most difficult due to the unavailability of the plasma weapons and the lack of rockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

im planning to get through Streets of Rage 2 tonight on my Megadrive... love the music in it !!!

I see AM2R has hit the Switch Homebrew scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Give us a shout *when* you pick one up and decide to sell it again.

Fixed that there

Advertisement