Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭phily2002

Limited Run Games have Monkey Island 1 for Sega cd, the collectors edition looks very nice, with postage it's pretty pricey though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

phily2002 wrote: »
    Limited Run Games have Monkey Island 1 for Sega cd, the collectors edition looks very nice, with postage it's pretty pricey though

And NTSC only, you'll need a US Mega CD or at least a modded one.

Rebel Assault is up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

504245.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Rebel Assault is up too.

The Everdrive can function as a multi-bios for the Mega-CD if I'm not mistaken, so the days of needing to mod these are largely over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Inviere wrote: »
    The Everdrive can function as a multi-bios for the Mega-CD if I'm not mistaken, so the days of needing to mod these are largely over.

It can in most cases, but some games do have problems with the everdrive mapped bios so a region-free bios is the best option for compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

It can in most cases, but some games do have problems with the everdrive mapped bios so a region-free bios is the best option for compatibility.

Interesting. I wonder why that happens?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rebel Assault is up too.

Weird releases considering they are the worst versions of both games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've heard it said on Retronauts that the worst looking console generation is the previous console generation.

Fired up the PS4 for the first time in well over a year to play the FFVII demo.

While I was waiting on that to download I realized I hadn't played the Last of Us DLC so fired up the remake I bought ages ago. For a game that I remember looking stunning I'm noticing a lot of jagged character models and dodgy textures.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's an interesting phenomena, isn't it?

I guess as older consoles get even older, your brain makes allowances for them looking jaggy. But the last gen kind of looks similar to the current gen in some aspects, so your're probably far less forgiving.

• Advertisement

Yeah it is funny. I've really come around to the PS2 looks. Played the Persona 3 expansion a few days ago and thought it looked fine but played Binary Domain as well recently and thought it had aged loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah it is funny. I've really come around to the PS2 looks. Played the Persona 3 expansion a few days ago and thought it looked fine but played Binary Domain as well recently and thought it had aged loads as well.

Persona 3 looks pretty good anyway as it has the anime textboxes/character sprites. I played Destroy All Humans a few weeks ago through composite on HD tv and it looked awful, the old CRT helped the PS2 look much better.

I think PS3/360 holds up pretty well, we are spoiled with graphical splendor these days, the next gen will probably make PS4/XONE look poor in comparison.

No it's just more a common phenomenon I noticed. I felt the same about PS2/Xbox games during last gen and now coming around to them. I feel that way now about PS360 games. I'm sure I'll soften to the graphics once the next gen comes along.

Funnily enough I haven't played my PS4 in well over a year. Put on the FFVII demo and it kind of looks bad after coming from PC for so long. PC has gone quite a bit ahead of the current gen and all the dithering effects in FFVII look really bad and jarring.

Kind of weird we are going back to dithering in games for effects that used to use transparencies (and looked way better when they used transparencies). Wonder what the technical reason is?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Actually I went back to a few 3DS games recently and was quite taken aback by some of the low resolutions and jaggies going on there, even the menus. Wasn't really expecting it - been spoiled the last year with the Switch in handheld mode!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

The 3DS resolution was always awful looking, even on the original with the smaller screen. I really wish it had higher res screens

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think the visuals on the 3DS are far more acceptable when in the middle of something, the low res of the screen kind of doesn't matter anymore.
    But for static shots, it looks terrible!
    I'm sure Sony were scratching their heads when it triumphed over their Vita, with it's lovely display.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think the visuals on the 3DS are far more acceptable when in the middle of something, the low res of the screen kind of doesn't matter anymore.
    But for static shots, it looks terrible!
    I'm sure Sony were scratching their heads when it triumphed over their Vita, with it's lovely display.

I don't think Sony really had any faith in the Vita in the west anyway. I cant think of any marketing or any big games released on it compared to how hard the 3DS was pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I don't think Sony really had any faith in the Vita in the west anyway. I cant think of any marketing or any big games released on it compared to how hard the 3DS was pushed.

Vita was doa due to the expensive proprietary memory cards, didn't help that the highest capacity one was also prone to corruption.

Vita was doa due to the expensive proprietary memory cards, didn't help that the highest capacity one was also prone to corruption.

I never had a Vita so didn't know that, checked Amazon £87 for 64GB is very pricey, cant imagine that would hold many downloaded games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0 will be along in a moment to tell us all about how magnificent the device was, because it let you play pigeon dating sims...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Retr0 will be along in a moment to tell us all about how magnificent the device was, because it let you play pigeon dating sims...

The pigeon dating sim community were really what kept the vita going for all those years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Pity it's later in March, Gamerfest is early March (7/8th) so Sparks would be around for that.

I was probably there, I haven't missed one in ages but so bad remembering which person is which sometimes

Sadly I’m not going to be able to make it down. Have came down with a very bad dose and it won’t be cleared by the weekend in all probability.

Also with the Coronavirus in Dublin me coming down coughing and spluttering wouldn’t exactly be a great look.

I’m absolutely devastated but I really hope the festival is a success and everyone has a great time

The Pigeon dating sim developer actually has a new game out this month. No pigeons in it though.

I like the Vita but Sony sent it out to die. Mobile was taking over and Sony really didn't want anything to do with the device and gave it bare bones support. Whereas Nintendo had to push to save the 3DS but they had way more invested in it.

I think the 3DS resolution is fine for what it is. Games like Shin Megami Tensei IV still look gorgeous and 2D games look even better. However I think when blown up on the XL models the resolution does become blocky.

The Pigeon dating sim developer actually has a new game out this month. No pigeons in it though

Murder by Numbers is it?
    Seen some trailers for it, looks pretty interesting, cross between Ace Attorney and Picross.

So I know I'm a bit vocal in saying the Last of Us is a tad overrated and has a few problems that people gloss over.

I beat the Left Behind DLC last night and thought it was pretty excellent piece of content. Some great set pieces and not afraid of quiet moments. Also the dialogue was excellent and the writing really shined since it was free from the trappings of trying to be a triple A game. Johnny Ultimate, have to agree with you about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Sadly I’m not going to be able to make it down. Have came down with a very bad dose and it won’t be cleared by the weekend in all probability.

Also with the Coronavirus in Dublin me coming down coughing and spluttering wouldn’t exactly be a great look.

I’m absolutely devastated but I really hope the festival is a success and everyone has a great time
    Deva, I won a ticket so at least I haven't paid for it. Hopefully it'll good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Deva, I won a ticket so at least I haven't paid for it. Hopefully it'll good.

You should have some fun alright. Was really looking forward to seeing you down there

It’s such a pity as I’ve been learning a whole heap of skills to show off. Feather tricks, longboosts and so much more. And I stayed on ntsc so I could show me speedrunning the entire 150cc mode in under 40 minutes.

PS2 is 20 years old....

So I know I'm a bit vocal in saying the Last of Us is a tad overrated and has a few problems that people gloss over.

I beat the Left Behind DLC last night and thought it was pretty excellent piece of content. Some great set pieces and not afraid of quiet moments. Also the dialogue was excellent and the writing really shined since it was free from the trappings of trying to be a triple A game. Johnny Ultimate, have to agree with you about it.

For me it wasn't the visuals or the gameplay which were better than fine but nothing revolutionary, especially as a development of the Uncharted engine, but it is the storytelling, it was fantastic.
    I haven't been inclined to return to it or the DLC on the PS4 though

• Advertisement

I took issue with some of the storytelling and methods. Nothing major, more small niggles that stood out more as the rest of the game was so good.

Advertisement