Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madeleine McCann

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Accident happened, parents hid body
    The BRITISH cops are saying it was a GERMAN, sounds like the ESTABLISHMENT have an agenda.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

She wandered out herself, something happened (car accident/paedo)
    I just feel so sad seeing her little face on screen again, the poor baba, jesus I hope she didn't suffer and it was quick :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

TheW1zard wrote: »
    The BRITISH cops are saying it was a GERMAN, sounds like the ESTABLISHMENT have an agenda.

No the German cops are saying it was a German. But then you’d have to be able to read to know that.

splinter65 wrote: »
    No the German cops are saying it was a German. But then you’d have to be able to read to know that.

I gave up reading Maddie articles a long time ago, the parents did it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

I really hope this is the closure the McCanns need, not only to finally put their daughter to rest, but also to silence the ghouls who have outright accused them of her death.

Major breakthrough number 156236363623636.

Don't hold your breath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Judging by the Skynews report the only real evidence is hear say. Nothing physical has been found in the camper van or car. Looks as if the cops are getting desperate for a confession.

Disappointing really.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

pc7 wrote: »
    I just feel so sad seeing her little face on screen again, the poor baba, jesus I hope she didn't suffer and it was quick :(

Same. And looking at that picture of the van - it just broke my heart imagining her being bundled into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Something Else
    Maybe kate and gerry will split up and one of them will give an honest account of what happened that night. They probably didn't do the deed, but let's face it they drugged the kids and left them alone with the door unlocked and did not check on them all night.

If they aren't involved, They should have come clean to the police straight away about exactly what went on and perhaps that information could have lead to her being found quickly, but too late for that now. If it were me and something so serious happened I'd have fessed up straight away, even if it made me look ****e, reputation and saving face isn't as important as finding your child, and look everyone knows now they were lying anyway.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

This was discussed further back in the thread, but I don't think anyone could say with 100% certainty how they'd react in a situation like that. Also, even if she had died in an accident ie woke up and fell and banged her head, the fact remains that the parents left all 3 of their kids alone and unsupervised. They still had the twins to think about, and even if her death had been genuinely an accident, they could have been prosecuted for neglect and faced jail time, possibly meaning that they'd lose the twins too. When you think about it that way, it would make sense that if she did die in the apartment, they would try to cover it up.

Personally, I'm on the fence about what happened. I don't know if some harm came to her in the apartment, her parents tried to cover it up, and then the whole thing just grew legs and obviously there's no way either of them could confess now. If the parents are involved, I'd say the only way they'd ever own up would be a death-bed confession. It's also equally possible that some nefarious character either broke in to the apartment and took her, or she wandered off and was taken. There were certainly an alarming number of paedos in the area at the time, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Toots wrote: »
    This was discussed further back in the thread, but I don't think anyone could say with 100% certainty how they'd react in a situation like that. Also, even if she had died in an accident ie woke up and fell and banged her head, the fact remains that the parents left all 3 of their kids alone and unsupervised. They still had the twins to think about, and even if her death had been genuinely an accident, they could have been prosecuted for neglect and faced jail time, possibly meaning that they'd lose the twins too. When you think about it that way, it would make sense that if she did die in the apartment, they would try to cover it up.

Personally, I'm on the fence about what happened. I don't know if some harm came to her in the apartment, her parents tried to cover it up, and then the whole thing just grew legs and obviously there's no way either of them could confess now. If the parents are involved, I'd say the only way they'd ever own up would be a death-bed confession. It's also equally possible that some nefarious character either broke in to the apartment and took her, or she wandered off and was taken. There were certainly an alarming number of paedos in the area at the time, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

So multiple police forces are confident that they have their man, yet you still think maybe the parents did it?
    Based on what evidence or facts?:confused:

Basically you dont like the fact that her parents left her in the room, so no matter what its their fault, of possibly they were involved. Unbelieveable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

The parents did it
    GreeBo wrote: »
    Basically you dont like the fact that her parents left her in the room, so no matter what its their fault, of possibly they were involved. Unbelieveable.

Correct.

If there was an accident or accidental overdose or whatever the other parent related theories are and the parents are covering it up then they're obviously at fault. I have doubts they were involved in that way.

If she wandered from the apartment looking for them and was abducted by a passer-by or knocked down and her body disposed off then the parents are at fault because she was left alone. They're also at fault if she was taken from the apartment by a burglar or opportunist who was in there while the parents were at dinner and the kids on their own.

Something Else
    So multiple police forces are confident that they have their man, yet you still think maybe the parents did it?

Untrue, the police have basically 0 evidence. They know this guy was in the same city at the time, where he lived for many years, he's known to have committed sexual crimes and robberies, he made a phone call around the time of the disappearance and some years later he drunkenly boasted 'I know all about the Madeline'. In desperation for actual evidence they've made the phone number dialed public, meaning they've got nothing that'll wash in court or even anything that is anecdotally compelling.
    It is their fault without a shadow of a doubt, even if they didn't do anything to her. When you are the parent of a toddler you have a rather large duty of care to that toddler. That duty of care diminishes as they get older and have more autonomy. If Madeline were 14 and was left alone for some hours at night with parents nearby, that would be within the realm of social acceptability.

Even if you ignore the possibility of abduction or the child wandering off into the night in search of her parents for a moment, there are number of dangers an unsupervised toddler faces in the average home; knives, hot water, stairs trips, slips and falls are the most common.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I think some people are so indoctrinated into the belief that the parents did it that even if it’s proven this guy was involved, they’ll manage to twist it in a way that suits their narrative that the parents were also involved. It’s the only outcome some people will accept. But it says more about them than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I think its agreed by most that they clearly broke the law, placing their children at risk by leaving them home alone. In the eyes of the law they were guilty of child neglect.

https://childlawadvice.org.uk/information-pages/home-alone/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

cgcsb wrote: »
    Untrue, the police have basically 0 evidence. They know this guy was in the same city at the time, where he lived for many years, he's known to have committed sexual crimes and robberies, he made a phone call around the time of the disappearance and some years later he drunkenly boasted 'I know all about the Madeline'. In desperation for actual evidence they've made the phone number dialed public, meaning they've got nothing that'll wash in court or even anything that is anecdotally compelling.
    You seem remarkably sure if your facts. Will you be just as vocal in your climb down if proven totally wrong I wonder?

Even if you ignore the possibility of abduction or the child wandering off into the night in search of her parents for a moment, there are number of dangers an unsupervised toddler faces in the average home; knives, hot water, stairs trips, slips and falls are the most common.
    None of which happened. All we know for certain is that she is gone and the police are close to making an arrest.
    Her parents could have been asleep in their beds and she still wander off or be abducted, who do you blame then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

You seem remarkably sure if your facts. Will you be just as vocal in your climb down if proven totally wrong I wonder?

None of which happened. All we know for certain is that she is gone and the police are close to making an arrest.
    Her parents could have been asleep in their beds and she still wander off or be abducted, who do you blame then?

By the same logic Russian Roulette is a safe game (most of the time).

So he is a suspect. So were the parents.
    There is evidence that they had something to do with it, plenty. Ask the Portuguese police.

A rapist who is in jail said he did it, feck me lol

Based on the lack of evidence or facts supporting any of the theories. There's probably as much evidence that the poor child was abducted by aliens as there is supporting all the other theories.

I don't know whether or not the parents had a part to play in her disappearance, but it can't be denied that their negligence contributed to it, whether directly or indirectly. They left their young children unattended in an apartment while they went to a restaurant. If someone did kidnap her, that certainly made it a hell of a lot easier for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,867 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Toots wrote: »
    Based on the lack of evidence or facts supporting any of the theories. There's probably as much evidence that the poor child was abducted by aliens as there is supporting all the other theories.

I don't know whether or not the parents had a part to play in her disappearance, but it can't be denied that their negligence contributed to it, whether directly or indirectly. They left their young children unattended in an apartment while they went to a restaurant. If someone did kidnap her, that certainly made it a hell of a lot easier for them.

A young girl in the UK was kidnapped from her bath while her mother was cooking supper in the Kitchen. Thousands, upon thousands of children have died, usually by drowning, while there parents were on the premises. Given how incredibly rare an incident like this is - there only ever being one, in many, many millions of holidays down the decades - I for one don't blame the parents at all. Engaging in holier than thou superiority, courtesy of hindsight, is cheap and easy.

cnocbui wrote: »
    A young girl in the UK was kidnapped from her bath while her mother was cooking supper in the Kitchen. Thousands, upon thousands of children have died, usually by drowning, while there parents were on the premises. Given how incredibly rare an incident like this is - there only ever being one, in many, many millions of holidays down the decades - I for one don't blame the parents at all. Engaging in holier than thou superiority, courtesy of hindsight, is cheap and easy.

Comparing a mother cooking dinner in the home and her child been kidnapped to parents going out on the p|ss leaving 3 young kids at home is a bit of a stretch.

• Advertisement

Something Else

If the police had anything else at all they'd have charged him already. They're releasing phone numbers in a desperate bid for evidence. One of the chief Scotland Yard investigators was on the 6.1 news asking people to send in holiday snaps from the time :pac: They've got nothing.

What? you're claiming that because something could happen while supervised that it's ok to remove that supervision? so we should just let all the toddlers to the 4 sheets of the wind because the risks posed to them are equal to direct supervision???:confused:

Something Else
    limnam wrote: »
    Comparing a mother cooking dinner in the home and her child been kidnapped to parents going out on the p|ss leaving 3 young kids at home is a bit of a stretch.

It would have been perfectly fine for them to go on the piss if they reached into their cold miserable pockets and produced the £30 fee for a babysitter.

cgcsb wrote: »
    It would have been perfectly fine for them to go on the piss if they reached into their cold miserable pockets and produced the £30 fee for a babysitter.

You can't expect two middle class professionals to be squandering that sort of money on their child's safety. £30 buys a lot of GnT's in Portugal.

A lot of angry people in here acting out tonight because what they spent the last 13 years obsessing over may actually not have happened.

Funny, Mrs McCann when a suspect. Nada

Some German pedo made suspect and he's hung drawn and quartered without a shred of evidence.

Comical

Defending a pedo now? That’s jaysus grim.

cnocbui wrote: »

There's nothing holier-than-thou about pointing out that the McCann's heading off on the beer, leaving 3 kids under the age of 4 alone in an unlocked apartment, in a foreign country, is sh*tty parenting.

Granted, kidnapping would be the least likely concern in that scenario, but say instead the apartment had gone on fire and one/all of the kids had died, would anyone honestly be making excuses for them?

I do feel sorry for the McCanns, but at the end of the day they took a risk leaving their kids like that, and Madeleine is the one who paid the price.

Defending a pedo now? That’s jaysus grim.

Not defending him. I'm just not accusing him of a crime there's no evidence he committed.

Normal enough I'd say.

limnam wrote: »
    Not defending him. I'm just not accusing him of a crime there's no evidence he committed.

Normal enough I'd say.

But the McCanns are open season.

Okay.... :pac:

• Advertisement

But the McCanns are open season.

Okay.... :pac:

Never accursed them of anything bar neglect.. *shrug*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement