Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours Presidential Election Poll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

it's a real issue for tens of thousands of people up and down the country. nothing to do with the office of president I grant you but a lot of people agree with him, he said it, the mob came after him and he doubled down. that's rare in irish public life.

What's a real issue.

Explain in detail what is a real issue that a presidential candidate has any business being involved in.

If you've problems with the awarding of accommodation then speak with your local councillor and the council where the power is.

This band wagon ****e makes you look a fool. Are you a fool ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

It's already in Michael's pocket but I'll vote for Casey.

Both his take on the situation re Traveller's and his refusal to retract his comments are refreshing and encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

listermint wrote: »
    If Peter Casey gets anywhere near it we've reached peak trump and Ireland is as messed up as America and Britain

oh noes...what would the right thinking folk say

There would be something glorious about a Casey win - it would show a citizen can run and win and also upsetting the matt cooper types of this world.

Noveight wrote: »
    It's already in Michael's pocket but I'll vote for Casey.

Both his take on the situation re Traveller's and his refusal to retract his comments are refreshing and encouraging.

Refreshing and encouraging. There is a bucket load of edgits in here today.

If I walked up to you on the street and told you Jesus those travellers they're terrible always robbing and getting special status. Would you give me a tenner ?

Why not ?

Then why would you give his Wealthy man 250,000 euro per year for making comments that anyway can and he has no power to do anything. There's nothing refreshing about it.

Anyone who is taken in by this this is being manipulated by a clever business man. Dressing himself up as a normal guy off the street.

You must worship at the door of celebrity Donald trump style ****e . The most well dressed moron on the village this fella is laughing behind your back in the pub.

Refreshing indeed. ......

paw patrol wrote: »
    oh noes...what would the right thinking folk say

There would be something glorious about a Casey win - it would show a citizen can run and win and also upsetting the matt cooper types of this world.

Citizens have ran since he presidency began.

The current president is a citizen.

What are you on about

• Advertisement

What's a real issue.

Explain in detail what is a real issue that a presidential candidate has any business being involved in.

If you've problems with the awarding of accommodation then speak with your local councillor and the council where the power is.

This band wagon ****e makes you look a fool. Are you a fool ?

I'll answer this , if I may.

I agree the presidential race has little connection to travellers but here we are. He spoke an opinion (unpopular in media/political circles) that many people agree with and he was lashed out of it....all angles all sides....

AND - this is the clincher - he not only refused to apologise or backtrack...he doubled down…as they say.

that's a person I'd vote for a person of conviction a rarity in public life in Ireland.

If that makes me a fool , fool me twice baby!

Citizens have ran since he presidency began.

The current president is a citizen.

What are you on about

you are being obtuse ….you know what I meant.
    this is boards and i'm eating my dinner , its' not a court of law
    stop being cute and twisting words

all previous were political party people

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Il ask you this

What in the jaysus do travellers or their ethnic status or a bunch of houses down in Tipp have to do with the presidential race.

Here's the answer nothing.

It's only something because this self promoting scumbag wants it to be.
    Yep, this pretty much. What it has done is bring the subject into public discourse. He said what a fair amount of people are thinking and have been thinking for years, a large chunk of them because of direct personal experience. Namely that too large a percentage of Travellers are involved in anti social behaviour, criminality and "cultural" practices that with every generation have distanced themselves from the rest of Irish society.

Unfortunately the discourse strongly tends to the extremes of "you racists*, Travellers are victims of racism and lovely!", or "imprison the lot of them!". The debate sorely needs having but I can't see it being effective to any practical degree. Never the twain will meet, certainly not in the middle.

*which is an idiotic thing to say. They're not a different "race" and a slightly higher consanquinity than background doesn't make them one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

dudara wrote: »
    Michael D all the way for me so far.

Casey is using his platform to sow division & hatred, creating an “us vs them” mindset. I don’t want that. It’s a slippery slope.

Casey didn’t create an “us vs them” mindset. Bunches of travellers stealing, claiming benefits illegally, threatening elderly people, causing criminal damage and being completely above the law created an “us vs them” mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭tintin67

I've voted in every Presidential Election since 1990 but was actually planning to sit this one out as I'm not particularly impressed by any of the candidates. But I'll be going out now to give Peter Casey a number 1 then leaving the rest blank. He has absolutely no chance of winning but if enough people do this and he manages to go from 2% in the current polls to say 10% plus on the day it will have shown that there is a sufficient body of people in this country who are sick to death of the PC culture and agreed position on so many issues adopted by the media and so many politicians.

• Advertisement

I'll answer this , if I may.

I agree the presidential race has little connection to travellers but here we are. He spoke an opinion (unpopular in media/political circles) that many people agree with and he was lashed out of it....all angles all sides....

AND - this is the clincher - he not only refused to apologise or backtrack...he doubled down…as they say.

that's a person I'd vote for a person of conviction a rarity in public life in Ireland.

If that makes me a fool , fool me twice baby!

And that's enough to put someone in the presidency on your books.?

That's a ridiculous bar you set there.

Explain your rationale of giving this man a fortune for that alone. Il listen

Then why would you give his Wealthy man 250,000 euro per year for making comments that anyway can and he has no power to do anything. There's nothing refreshing about it.

Because powerless or not I agree with what he's saying. I would give him my vote for the off-chance, however minimal it may be, that his views may trickle down in to politicians and policy making. Granted he's a rather one dimensional candidate but for me his views are significant enough to garner attention.

Name the last politician who in the past 10 years who dared to question the absolute gravy train Traveller's are riding? You'll find the list is rather meek.

Casey's views are refreshing indeed.

you are being obtuse ….you know what I meant.
    this is boards and i'm eating my dinner , its' not a court of law
    stop being cute and twisting words

all previous were political party people

I actually don't know what you meant.

I just had my dinner. I'm not twisting your words in quoting them and asking about them.

You are the one using mental linguistics to give a small time businessman our nation's presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

I'm surprised Casey is only at 60% right now. I thought the boys would have him at about 80-85%. Poor showing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Refreshing and encouraging. There is a bucket load of edgits in here today.

If I walked up to you on the street and told you Jesus those travellers they're terrible always robbing and getting special status. Would you give me a tenner ?

Why not ?

Anyone who is taken in by this this is being manipulated by a clever business man. Dressing himself up as a normal guy off the street.

You must worship at the door of celebrity Donald trump style ****e . The most well dressed moron on the village this fella is laughing behind your back in the pub.

What’s wrong with liking someone who has the same views as yourself?????????

Because powerless or not I agree with what he's saying. I would give him my vote for the off-chance, however minimal it may be, that his views may trickle down in to politicians and policy making.

Name the last politician who in the past 10 years who dared to question the absolute gravy train Traveller's are riding? You'll find the list is rather meek.

Casey's views are refreshing indeed.

His views won't trickle down anywhere. He will change his tac once he gets the money and fly off around the place playing kiss up for free .

He has no truck with travellers whatsoever. They are his vehicle to get plonkers to notice his campaign.

Fall for it.

I dare ya.

If you don't know any similar people like this fella from your locality then you haven't been outside the door.

Chancer nothing more.

Because your planning on giving this already wealthy fool more of my tax money.if the 8 million spent on this farce wasnt enough

Take your views down to your local council where they may have more impact.

The president can't do anything and won't do anything about this issue . Use a bit of cop on will ya

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Nothing at all. But to say the fact that he shares your views automatically makes him the right candidate for the presidency is ridiculous.

tintin67 wrote: »
    I've voted in every Presidential Election since 1990 but was actually planning to sit this one out as I'm not particularly impressed by any of the candidates. But I'll be going out now to give Peter Casey a number 1 then leaving the rest blank. He has absolutely no chance of winning but if enough people do this and he manages to go from 2% in the current polls to say 10% plus on the day it will have shown that there is a sufficient body of people in this country who are sick to death of the PC culture and agreed position on so many issues adopted by the media and so many politicians.

That superb thinking has the UK now exiting Europe and putting itself in recession.

It's short sighted and ill thought out.

Use your bloody vote properly will you.

People fought and died for you to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,920 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If he gets elected it won't be 'Ireland's Trump' it will be 'Ireland's BoatyMcBoatFace'. A president elected by useless lazy reactionaries with nothing better to do on social media.

• Advertisement

Fall for it.

I dare ya.

Regardless of his motivation, he's voicing an opinion which was previously deemed nigh on blasphemous and (it looks like) he's gained support as a result.

Could well be the earliest beginnings of a discussion about Traveller's which allows for an open and honest criticism of the situation. For now there is none of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Micheal D Higgins is a millionaire also, why are people voting for him?

Casey gets my vote.

On the situation with the travellers. I would go one step further.

**** them and there stables. I would have all the houses leveled the miserable sods. Turning there noses up at perfectly good houses. Struggling tax payers like me working me hole off for a house and these ****ers complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

That superb thinking has the UK now exiting Europe and putting itself in recession.

It's short sighted and ill thought out.

Use your bloody vote properly will you.

People fought and died for you to have it.

Ok tintin67
    Vote:
    Casey 1
    MickyD 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

TallGlass wrote: »
    Micheal D Higgins is a millionaire also, why are people voting for him?

Casey gets my vote.

On the situation with the travellers. I would go one step further.

**** them and there stables. I would have all the houses leveled the miserable sods. Turning there noses up at perfectly good houses. Struggling tax payers like me working me hole off for a house and these ****ers complaining.

So only poor people should be allowed to run? Is that the best you can come up with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

They're not taking the piss - AH has always been a hotbed of anti-traveller racism - but we'll find out when the next poll comes out (probably in one of the Sunday papers) just how representative they are of society as a whole. Not very, I suspect.

So because your man states what is obvious some people believe it makes him suitable for president?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There will be no “discussion” on travellers anywhere outside AH.

Long, long ago travellers had themselves enshrined as one of the “big nine”, there will be no discussion without cries of discrimination.

Peter Casey has gone for the lowest common denominator in broaching the traveller conundrum in public. However he will never bring this forward outside this presidential battle and will use it to get a populist vote from trump style haters. I’ve no love for travellers but equally I don’t want to see their existence used to steal a presidential election similar to how Trump did on the “drain the swamp” drumbeat, amd we see how that turned out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Because your planning on giving this already wealthy fool more of my tax money.if the 8 million spent on this farce wasnt enough

Take your views down to your local council where they may have more impact.

The president can't do anything and won't do anything about this issue . Use a bit of cop on will ya

Do you think I care about the money??

I care about someone finally after long last not afraid to say what we all think in Ireland.

The media, politicians, the president etc are scared ****less to sat what they think, and I don’t want to live in a country like that.

I have plenty of cop on my friend, this is a refreshing change for the daily reading from the script nonsense we get blasted with each hour.

Life’s too short to be afraid.....

Regardless of his motivation, he's voicing an opinion which was previously deemed nigh on blasphemous and (it looks like) he's gained support as a result.

Could well be the earliest beginnings of a discussion about Traveller's which allows for an open and honest criticism of the situation. For now there is none of that.

There is already a bloody discussion about it.

This is one county council dealing with a problem. Do you think every council up and down the country has this problem.?

They don't they give them the bare minimal accommodation. This is not an issue most councils think the way you do.

The fact you've managed to take this daily mail article and extrapolated it into a regular problem pushing it to decide your candidate to represent this country around the world is on you.

You need to take a step back from the paper and consider whats important to you .

The local chancer taking tax payers money on a single issue that he forgets about the second he wins or someone that can be ambassador for brand Ireland around the world.

Reality check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

So only poor people should be allowed to run? Is that the best you can come up with?

What you honestly on about. It's for the people saying Peter is a millionaire, I am point out that Higgins is one also.

Poor, Rich, Black, White, Traveller or Yellow I couldn't care who is put in front of me if you really want to know.

• Advertisement

Do you think I care about the money??

I care about someone finally after long last not afraid to say what we all think in Ireland.

The media, politicians, the president etc are scared ****less to sat what they think, and I don’t want to live in a country like that.

I have plenty of cop on my friend, this is a refreshing change for the daily reading from the script nonsense we get blasted with each hour.

Life’s too short to be afraid.....

Ha ha .

Casey has you in his pocket so.

You've been taken in by a trickster .

Classic switch bate. Actually I think that's a move travellers use selling bags full of sugar as laptops.

This is delicious irony.

Nom nom nom

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement