Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours Presidential Election Poll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Absolutely because saying what we’re all thinking doesn’t necessarily mean he’s the right man for the job.

Do you all not realize that if he gets into office, which he won’t anyway, he won’t be able to speak so openly anymore?

Right man for the job? Nobody cares. The two largest partys haven't bothered to field a candidate of their own.Just to save money. That tells you how much they value the office of President.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Peter Casey is the Irish Joseph goebbels
    The problem with your rather moronic assertion here is that the Jewish people of pre-WW2 Germany (and indeed Europe) were hardworking, productive members of society.

What Peter appears to be telling us is that what we currently have here within our society is an element of society who do not wish to work or pay taxes. Who are represented massively disproportionately in our prison system. Who seek to pursue a lifestyle choice for which they expect the taxpayers to fund.

And they have been given special status by the state against the wishes of a large part of the population.

I would hate to be so stupid as to not be able to see the absolute difference.

Casey may not win, but a good turnout for him will send a nice strong message.

VOTE PETER CASEY NO. 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

That's the man, picked on Jews like Casey is picking on travellers,

See my post above.

What Casey was saying is the absolute opposite of picking on one section of society, by calling for us all to.bd treated equals.

All bound by the same laws of the state with the same rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

dudara wrote: »
    Michael D all the way for me so far.

Casey is using his platform to sow division & hatred, creating an “us vs them” mindset. I don’t want that. It’s a slippery slope.

Could you explain this part?? Do you think he deliberately made the Irish Independent ask him the question he answered honestly???

listermint wrote: »
    No I'm laughing at it.

It's great.

It's like an episode of glenroe.

I'm actually loving it, this fellas managed to rile the village and he's lapping it up .

Don't fret though it'll be the last of his traveller comments once he's in the park.

As I said I don't care about the traveller issue. Or what he said . It's the fact you've been taken in by it

Excellent

There's only one person I can see riled up in here. So are you FG, FF or Labour??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I wasn’t even going to vote In the election until Peter Casey piped up. The alternatives usual establishment more of the same bull****... a vote for him will be a protest one!

We now live on n a country where if you deviate even a tad from the liberal left and it’s agenda , you’re some right wing lunatic! Also Leo Varadkar has made a plea not to vote for Casey, the biggest reason yet to vote for him !

listermint wrote: »
    No in my appraisal.

This fella read that article last week about the situation in Tipp and said .il have a piece of that.

You heard it and said oh thank lord someone answered my prayers.

He gets your vote moves in gets a nice day salary. You don't hear another peep about travelers and nothing changes

This is classic snake oil sales pitch.

They used to run these skits on little house on the prairie. It's classic Hollywood trope how in the hell are people with access to the knowledge of the internet falling for this , really, in this day and age

So are you claiming that he made the Irish Independent ask him that question on their podcast, oh wise one?

Ah now, Casey only said stuff. He hasn't actually done anything about it. He's a dreamer.

He said that all people in Ireland should be treated equally. I take it you disagree with this??

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Apologies to any Jews reading this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 66,926 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He said that all people in Ireland should be treated equally. I take it you disagree with this??

Yes I agree with that. But some people, and some sections of society have been so marginalised and badly treated that we have a deficit to make up.

Like those abused by the state, or those generationally marginalised or suppressed, I see it as part of my responsibility as a citizen to equalise their circumstances.
    I fully understand that they create problems in society btw.

• Advertisement

Yes I agree with that. But some people, and some sections of society have been so marginalised and badly treated that we have a deficit to make up.

Like those abused by the state, or those generationally marginalised or suppressed, I see it as part of my responsibility as a citizen to equalise their circumstances.

When did Casey say this shouldn't happen??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

So can you please elaborate on how we should “equalize”

What form should it take and how long should it go on for.

I think that it’s a poor and divisive approach.

Where’s there a wrong, you acknowledge it, but to create further differences is just creating further division.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

_Brian wrote: »
    Ireland needs to be very careful where we move from here.

This poll would suggest we should vote someone in as president based on nothing but it would seem a hatred of tue traveller community.

Now there is a name for that behaviour and it’s how tin pot leaders from Trump to Hitler came to power. It would send a shocking message out about ourselves.

How long till we’re voting in politicians who mention blacks, Arabs, Muslims, Nigerians ??

There are a hell of allot of people unemployed and not paying taxes other than travellers, more criminals than travellers and I’d wager that JP Mc Manus dodges more tax here annually than travellers do.

Where has he implied a "hatred of travellers"
    Please point that out to me?

He got attention by actually having the balls to say it was a joke what was happening in Tipperary regarding the houses and [lack of] stables all paid for by the council. Followed on by the idea of their ethnicity. Have we really reached the stage where even just questioning anything is immediately shut down as 'racist'? And where the blanks can get filled in with what ever words suit an agenda and lazy comparisons to Hilter.

I seriously doubt he will win but god I hope he does...

Also, I'd imagine JP McManus has paid a lot more tax then any traveller ever has! I have no doubt he avoids as much as he can, but even the unavoidable amount is still probably huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Casey wont win,but his remarks have acted as a lightning rod for hard working,decent tax payers on this island.

It's two fingers to the lefty media and it's hordes of hypocrite followers and feeders.

Fair play to him.

When did Casey say this shouldn't happen??

He waded into something in a way designed to arouse the worst emotions in society.
    The correct way to do it would have been to identify the problem and offer solutions to it. That is 'leadership' that is 'representing' the people.
    He enflamed some of the people, that cohort that is always waiting to be enflamed - to absolutely no end but to crash and burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

He waded into something in a way designed to arouse the worst emotions in society.
    The correct way to do it would have been to identify the problem and offer solutions to it. That is 'leadership' that is 'representing' the people.
    He enflamed some of the people, that cohort that is always waiting to be enflamed - to absolutely no end but to crash and burn.

If you have all the solutions, why didn't you run yourself?

So can you please elaborate on how we should “equalize”

What form should it take and how long should it go on for.

I think that it’s a poor and divisive approach.

Where’s there a wrong, you acknowledge it, but to create further differences is just creating further division.

TbL

That is what you should be asking Casey.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Nothing at all. But to say the fact that he shares your views automatically makes him the right candidate for the presidency is ridiculous.

Whatever about who people are voting for, I'd say that's pretty much exactly how people should be voting, for views that align with their own :pac:

If you have all the solutions, why didn't you run yourself?

Who said I 'have all the solutions'?

Keeping a society civil is an ongoing and never ending process of work.
    I have never seen any of societies problems sorted out by pontificating millionaires engaging in crash and burn hate speech. Casey knew when he went to Tipp that he was tapping into discontent, and he is wallowing in it to massage his ego.

By waded into, do you mean answered a question he was asked??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

That's the man, picked on Jews like Casey is picking on travellers,

Lol. Why are you so triggered by someone stating that Travellers should not have their own ethnicity? Because they shouldn't...

They had a culture at one point in time but abandoned it long long ago.

Now their culture is largely versed in criminal activity or handouts from the state.

That's not an ethnicity.

By waded into, do you mean answered a question he was asked??

And when he seen the reaction from the mob, headed to Tipp for a photo op and ran from engaging with those at the centre of the issue there. About whom there is some confusion.
    Did he try to clear up that confusion by engaging as any 'reforming' politician should do? No, he stuttered and stammered out the same hate speech and ran away.

Go ahead, vote for that if you wish.

That is what you should be asking Casey.

No I’m asking you.

You mentioned that the wrongs needed to be “equalized”

I’d like to hear you thoughts on how this would tangibly operate.

TbL

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

autumn2018 wrote: »
    tell that to the elderly people who are terrorised by diesel engines idling outside their house at 3am

I've full sympathy with that. I live rurally as do my family and it is a big concern. I know people who's homes and vans have been robbed most likely by traveller gangs.

But Casey can't do anything about that if he's president. He's said it himself. I can admire him for speaking his mind on an unpopular opinion, and may even agree somewhat with his opinion, but if it's not relevant to the presidency (and it's not) and discounted, what are we left with? Just a poor public speaker really.

The presidency is a diplomatic role. It requires someone we can be proud of to represent our country abroad and at home. Someone who is able to speak eloquently, meet with controversial but politically necessary dignitaries and not say something put his or her foot in it. I don't think anyone on the ticket fits the job spec more than MDH.

No I’m asking you.

You mentioned that the wrongs needed to be “equalized”

I’d like to hear you thoughts on how this would tangibly operate.

TbL

Open a thread on it, it has nothing to do with a presidential debate. Something Casey now seems to realise as he runs away again (for the weekend anyway)

I have posted documents which outline initiatives and work that has been done and which i wholeheartedly support the continuation of. Because it is having an effect.

Open a thread on it, it has nothing to do with a presidential debate. Something Casey now seems to realise as he runs away again (for the weekend anyway)

I have posted documents which outline initiatives and work that has been done and which i wholeheartedly support the continuation of. Because it is having an effect.

Ok so despite posting that,as a citizen, you see it as your responsibility to equalize their circumstances, you’re not prepared to give examples of how this would work?

TbL

Ok so despite posting that,as a citizen, you see it as your responsibility to equalize their circumstances, you’re not prepared to give examples of how this would work?

TbL

I did already on 2 threads. Read the thread. 3 documents and a link to another agency working hard with these people. Work I have personal experience of and have seen the results of.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Given the way that Trump and Brexit happened by protest votes by disillusioned voters trying to make a point the people who are switching their vote from Higgins to Casey can still do the protest by putting Casey as their number 2 on the ballot paper with Higgins as the number 1

That sends the same signal and lessens the risk that we will actually have to have him as president.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Neyite wrote: »
    That sends the same signal and lessens the risk that we will actually have to have him as president.

Presumably there is no risk even if Casey was elected. It's a position with no power, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Neyite wrote: »
    Given the way that Trump and Brexit happened by protest votes by disillusioned voters trying to make a point the people who are switching their vote from Higgins to Casey can still do the protest by putting Casey as their number 2 on the ballot paper with Higgins as the number 1

Yeah and the success of Brexit and Trump shows how these "protests" are so succesful. Neither became laughing stocks at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement