Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Even if you have no issue with people of any culture or ethnicity doing this, bigger picture, its really not helping the long term future of the planet. No person in this day and age should have 7 or 8 kids. Its irresponsible. When you can't pay for them yourself, its negligent.

Exactly. But most settled people in Ireland embrace a culture of self-responsibility. They want to work and support themselves. They don't want to have kids if they can't afford them.

Travellers have a different set of values. Bluntly, many in the Traveller community just do whatever the hell they want, and leave the taxpayer (or insurance companies) to pick up the tab. They don't see that they have any responsibility to contribute to wider Irish society. And if you criticize these values, you're disrespecting their ethnic minority culture and you're a racist.

Someone earlier proposed that welfare supports would encourage Travellers to become more responsible, to contribute to society, and to integrate. But I think exactly the opposite is true. The more money they get, and the more we indulge them with special recognition of their "status" and pay lip service to their "valuable culture," the more we encourage the negative strains in their community -- the disregard for education, the child marriages, the disregard for responsible reproduction, the feuding, etc.

We should be capping state support at 4 children. Anybody who chooses to have more kids than that should be prepared to pay for them out of their own pocket. And we should also be putting a hard limit on how long someone can receive jobseekers allowance. Able-bodied people should be able to claim it for max 60 months between the ages of 18 and 65. Once you've used up your five years of JSA, you don't get any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I'd up the 60 months JSA in case of another, who am I kidding, for when the next bust hits but I wouldn't disagree with any of your post.

As you said its not just travellers although they do seem to make up a large proportion of this particular issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

My solution would be to encourage more positive interaction with travellers and non-travellers
    If people get to know each other they would be less inclined to have preconceived notions of each other and would be less inclined to treat each other with suspicion.
    Similar to cross community initiatives in NI, they used to fire bullets at each other, and bomb each other not so long ago.

The travellers are culturally into. Men into boxing, traditional music, and horses.
    A lot of the women are extremely religious.
    Events could be created so common values could be shared etc etc
    If people got to know each other things could look a bit brighter in the future.

You really are living in cloud cuckoo land.

And while these events would be on, would the traveller participants have family members around "keeping an eye on" the homes of the settled people at the events. ;)

BTW if you want to see what can happen when travellers participate with members of the settled community in joint events take a look at what happened to referee Daniel Sweeney.

tuxy wrote: »
    Traveller women are very religous in many ways. They won't use contraception.

Yeah religious except in their non adherence to a couple of the commandments, namely 7 and 10.

Those ones don't appear to exist in the traveller bible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

jmayo wrote: »

And while these events would be on, would the traveller participants have family members around "keeping an eye on" the homes of the settled people at the events. ;)

BTW if you want to see what can happen when travellers participate with members of the settled community in joint events take a look at what happened to referee Daniel Sweeney.

Yeah religious except in their non adherence to a couple of the commandments, namely 7 and 10.

To be honest the ones by me aren't massive on 6 or 9 neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

OK. But the point is what?

So the point is that a lot of these people have miserable lives, and comparatively speaking I have quite a good life - so it would be a bit rich for me to compound their misery by whingeing about them on boards.ie.

My opinion.

A lot of people here clearly see it a different way.

• Advertisement

I'd up the 60 months JSA in case of another, who am I kidding, for when the next bust hits but I wouldn't disagree with any of your post.

As you said its not just travellers although they do seem to make up a large proportion of this particular issue.

Well, that's a good point about the next bust.

That said, Ireland's culture of lifelong handouts to able-bodied people is virtually unique in the world. There should be some limits placed, especially when the unemployment rate is around 5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

jmayo wrote: »

To be honest the ones by me aren't massive on 6 or 9 neither.

See thats the problem with the 10 commandments. Not everybody uses the same 10. I wasn't aware that adultery was a big issue for them. Or the coveting of their neighbours wives. For us catholics 5,7 and 10 are the most relevant.

See thats the problem with the 10 commandments. Not everybody uses the same 10. I wasn't aware that adultery was a big issue for them. Or the coveting of their neighbours wives. For us catholics 5,7 and 10 are the most relevant.

The one next door has a succession of blokes in when her aul fella is banged up. Which is quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The one next door has a succession of blokes in when her aul fella is banged up. Which is quite often.

there is a word for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

I'm sure Penneys have a good few episodes of her on their CCTV :pac:

Cash ‘n Carry

• Advertisement

there is a word for that.

And I'm sure she declares it to the taxman!!! ;);););)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

sightband wrote: »
    Cash ‘n Carry

Superb!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Sadly, a lot of the people on this thread seem to be suffering from out-group homogeneity bias. A bias which makes them view a group that is not thier own as one - as one who all think or act the same leading to stereotypes.

https://psychologydictionary.org/outgroup-homogeneity-bias/

Which is why I tried to make the point that settled people are not grouped into one group, yet they have committed the majority of serious crimes (murders etc) in this country.
    In fact it is only settled people that have ever led this country to civil war for example!
    The above logic is as sound as people saying that all travellers are xyz, one and the and the same!

Unfortunately, the point I was making was lost on a lot of people on this thread, which they do not wish to, or cannot grasp.

If you were to take the majority of this thread as gospel, travellers assault everyone, steal, constantly fight, none want to go to education beyond Junior Cert.
    Yet it was telling when I brought up the fact that a traveller became the first Primary techer in Ireland it was siezed upon as unfair because it was an access programme.
    But exactly the same thing is tried for disadvantaged groups in the settled community who need a push in the right direction.
    Another poster was implying that since he knew of a travellers brother who burnt his brothers school books, the same thing will befall any traveller who is going to attempt decent education.
    Oh that poster also informed me that the particular traveller (whose books were burnt) was now an alcoholic. As if it was going to happen to all travellers!

None of that is incompatible with a view that Traveller culture is broken and damaged, that Traveller culture is misogynistic and homophobic, that the Traveller cultural acceptance of criminality is wrong and also that the cultural practices of removing girls from school and marrying them off as child brides to close relatives is just horrific.

Of course not all traveller girls are married off at 16, but it is a brave Traveller girl who resists the cultural pressure. The solution is for the leadership of the Traveller community to lead these changes in attitudes. Constantly blaming the settled community for the problems caused by their own bad cultural practices is not the way to make things better.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    So the point is that a lot of these people have miserable lives, and comparatively speaking I have quite a good life - so it would be a bit rich for me to compound their misery by whingeing about them on boards.ie.

My opinion.

A lot of people here clearly see it a different way.

That's not even a discussion that's going on in this thread.

This thread is about one particular serial sponger and the taxpayer funding their lifestyle while they hide behind some 'cultural' thing, aided and abetted by spineless politicians and brainless SJW liberal types with blue hair.

God I really hope RTÉ do a TV series on her. Of course they're smart enough to know not to. Probably still smarting over the whole Peter Casey late late incident. If this was across the pond Channel 4 would have had season 1 wrapped up already. Something along the lines of 'Christmas with the Cash's'.

This thread is about one particular serial sponger and the taxpayer funding their lifestyle while they hide behind some 'cultural' thing, aided and abetted by spineless politicians and brainless SJW liberal types with blue hair.

God I really hope RTÉ do a TV series on her. Of course they're smart enough to know not to. Probably still smarting over the whole Peter Casey late late incident. If this was across the pond Channel 4 would have had season 1 wrapped up already. Something along the lines of 'Christmas with the Cash's'.

Let's be thankful that Benefit Street ended. One of them scrotes went on I'm A Celebrity.

I'm a f**king CELEBRITY!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Why not give her her own television show?

Margaret is thought a new dance each week.
    Tango and Cash.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They did similar a few years ago with a contestant on the Voice of Ireland that happened to be a traveller (who ironically was pregnant during her run on the show).

They did similar a few years ago with a contestant on the Voice of Ireland that happened to be a traveller (who ironically was pregnant during her run on the show).

I remember her - cracking voice. Sadly knew she'd never get anywhere, God given talent and you knew she'd be knocking out kids for the best part of her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yeah I remember that girl

KELLY'S ANGUISH Voice of Ireland singer Kelly Mongan McDonagh reveals she struggles to get gigs because promoters fear Traveller pals will show up
    The expecting mum blasted the bias in the entertainment business who she says won't hire her out of fear she will bring other Travellers with her - backs actor John Connors' similar concerns

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/music/2687098/voice-of-ireland-singer-kelly-mongan-mcdonagh-reveals-she-struggles-to-get-gigs-because-promoters-fear-traveller-pals-will-show-up/

Reality star Kelly McDonagh Mongan slams move to outlaw teen marriages as 'anti-Traveller'

https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/reality-star-kelly-mcdonagh-mongan-7020890

I remember her - cracking voice. Sadly knew she'd never get anywhere, God given talent and you knew she'd be knocking out kids for the best part of her life.

That was Kelly McDonagh-Mongan, subsequent star of What Kelly Did Next, who later came out to protest against a government proposal to stop under-18s from marrying: “It’s part of our tradition and any law that stops young people getting married is against Travellers.”

There you have it -- try to stop 16-year-olds from getting married, and you're branded anti-Traveller.

• Advertisement

That was Kelly McDonagh-Mongan, subsequent star of What Kelly Did Next, who later came out to protest against a government proposal to stop under-18s from marrying: “It’s part of our tradition and any law that stops young people getting married is against Travellers.”

There you have it -- try to stop 16-year-olds from getting married, and you're branded anti-Traveller.

I really want to be shocked but it's getting hard at this point!

The mum-of-two told the Irish Sun: “Will this stop them? No it won’t.

“You can’t stop two people who want to be together. I suppose that’s our way."

Also, not obeying laws is our way so why would we bother with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Political correctness causes brain damage.

Or alternatively, this thread is about people venting - about two things.

Number 1. Travellers.

Number 2. Anyone who might have anything remotely positive to say about travellers.

Both are equally to be ridiculed.

Its not a debate, its not a two way discussion.

Its an angry mob basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Still waiting for anyone to post anything positive, go ahead if you have something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Number 1. Travellers.

Number 2. Anyone who might have anything remotely positive to say about travellers.

Labelling people as an angry mob is an attempt to stifle debate, not to encourage two-way discussion.

An angry mob would be no match for Traveller culture, Mullingar-style, all the same.

We are subsidising an out-of-control, inbred 'clan' who want all the protections and privileges of life here, while determined to remain on the outside of society when it suits themselves. Which it overwhelmingly does most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Keep hardware shops in business selling slash hooks

Not by stealing slash hooks they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Number 1. Travellers.

Alternatively nothing. Read the thread title. Your post yesterday was something along the lines of 'some women have it hard lugging kids from B&B to B&B you know'. No one anywhere on this thread has said it is or isn't. Personally I wouldn't know myself.

If you want to contribute something that might make us view this woman's situation differently feel free to do so. This woman and not 'I saw a woman on the street'.

Personally I'm glad we do have supports in place for the genuine cases and I'd imagine most folk on here would agree. But that's not the point at all in the context of this discussion.

Alternatively nothing. Read the thread title. Your post yesterday was something along the lines of 'some women have it hard lugging kids from B&B to B&B you know'. No one anywhere on this thread has said it is or isn't. Personally I wouldn't know myself.

If you want to contribute something that might make us view this woman's situation differently feel free to do so. This woman and not 'I saw a woman on the street'.

Personally I'm glad we do have supports in place for the genuine cases and I'd imagine most folk on here would agree. But that's not the point at all in the context of this discussion.

I know you have zero intention of changing your view, so I'm not going to try and then leave myself open to unchecked abuse.

That's why its not a debate. Its too entrenched.

• Advertisement

Still waiting for anyone to post anything positive, go ahead if you have something.

Its clearing up now, looks like a lovely day is on the way :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement