Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Black Market for food vouchers hahahaha

here i have a one4all i wanna shift for cash, can you point me in the direction of your food voucher dealer and see will he buy it off me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

gwalk wrote: »
    Black Market for food vouchers hahahaha

here i have a one4all i wanna shift for cash, can you point me in the direction of your food voucher dealer and see will he buy it off me

While I dont disagree the current system does not work there is a blackmarket for foodstamps in the US. I dont now how it works but people trade their stamps for meth/heroin/whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

the state does sanction people where there are clear breaches and abuses of the rules.

Unless they're travellers.
    sometimes the state won't know that certain breaches and abuses are taking place, because people won't report such abuses to them

School register.

The state does know.

But as your pal here has indicated...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108726628&postcount=1712

... they 'need the extra push'.

QED, the sanctions that apply to everyone else for not schooling their children in accordance with the law... do not apply to travellers.

Does your TD know that ?
    unfortunately, the state will spend your tax money on what it deems worth while for it to be spent on. should you have an issue with your taxes being spent on something, by all means raise it with your local td or your local election candidates when they come to the door at election time.

You're smart enough to be condescending, but I'm smart enough not to need your advice.

Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

With all due respect that is the most simple, flawed, not thought out, utter nonsense post that I have ever read on here.

Ever.

Ah c'mon, I know for a fact I've posted worse :D
    Huh ????

No one's going all Al Gore ffs

That was me bringing the Manbearpig into the room. I should know better than to post anything slightly off topic as it will be used to distract and go off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

We’ve tried it your way, and it’s not working. Time to try something else

that's all well and good, but the solutions being proposed aren't exactly solutions that look as if they will work better.
    Are you familiar with "the bigotry of low expectations" theory ?

You seem to have a cast iron certainty that every social welfare recipient is corrupt, thieving and one missed dole cheque away from bank robbery and tiger kidnappings.

far from it. i am very clear that most social wellfare recipients are genuine and receive wellfare for genuine reasons. if there were other options for them they wouldn't be on wellfare. however there are a small minority who are on wellfare because they would quite frankly, be no asset to an employer.
    SusieBlue wrote: »
    Would you go away, the black market?!
    This is a voucher for Aldi we're talking about, not cocaine and elephant tusks.
    Most people can just buy their own food with their own money so there would be little to no demand for exchanging food vouchers for cash on the "black market".

It would be very simple actually.
    Instead of collecting their payment at the post office, they collect a book of stamps/vouchers.

Its very clear the current system isn't working.

anything has the potential to be traded on the black market.
    vouchers will have to be redeemed wherever, that means surely the state having to compensate the relevant outlets for their use. that quite likely has to be adminned and have huge oversight. then we have to try and remove all possible abuses of that system which would surely cost a bit.
    i'm not seeing why we should bother, when the money being spent on extra gardai and cab officers would have benefits outside wellfare fraud.
    the current system has it's faults (it is working to an extent) however more issues can be solved by spending the money on manpower, which can be used to tackle other issues as well.
    I have seen, with my own eyes, a woman of traveller "ethnicity" arrive up to the SVdeP in a BMW, her backseat full of shopping bags, and cry and beg for food to feed her kids.
    She did it every single week without fail, she just saw it as free food.
    She took food that day that could have been given to a family that actually couldn't afford to eat that week.

Its all take, take, take with them, and they contribute nothing.
    They're laughing at us for getting up and going to work every day while they live a comfortable life sponging off the tax payer.

Its about time they were individually held accountable for their cost to the taxpayer, and I think giving them food stamps and vouchers instead of cold hard cash would be a good start.

did you report her? people on here seem to have a habbit of seeing people doing this and that but they seem to never do anything about it. how is anyone within the relevant departments going to be able to do anything about women like her when people won't report them?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Ah c'mon, I know for a fact I've posted worse :D

It was getting towards "settled people travel to halting sites to dispose of rubbish" levels!!!!!

far from it. i am very clear that most social wellfare recipients are genuine and receive wellfare for genuine reasons. if there were other options for them they wouldn't be on wellfare. however there are a small minority who are on wellfare because they would quite frankly, be no asset to an employer.

And yet you believe that if we even reduce the benefits payable currently the Gardai will be overstretched with people turning to crime and the minute they get Lidl vouchers they'll be selling them to buy contraband rather than feed their kids ?

Your posts are either coming from a very delusional point of view or they are designed as a complete wind up and I really cannot fathom which.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

yes, it is quite possible that some travelers would continue to have children without the supports in existence. something which would likely apply to non-travelers as well.

The number of births per woman in Ireland has more than halved since the 1960s, driven by numerous social and economic changes. Contraception became legally available and socially acceptable, women went to third-level education and entered the workforce in greater numbers, and the average age of first pregnancy and marriage increased. Today, the average Irish woman is 30 when she has her first child; the average Irish bride is 33.

Compare that to Margaret Cash, who was married at 15 and had seven children by age 28.

There simply is no meaningful comparison between settled women and Traveller women when it comes to marriage and childbearing. The latter have more children today than the former did even decades ago. Having 8+ children is virtually unheard of for a woman under 50 today, and yet one Traveller woman in seven has 8+.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

anything has the potential to be traded on the black market.
    vouchers will have to be redeemed wherever, that means surely the state having to compensate the relevant outlets for their use. that quite likely has to be adminned and have huge oversight. then we have to try and remove all possible abuses of that system which would surely cost a bit.
    i'm not seeing why we should bother, when the money being spent on extra gardai and cab officers would have benefits outside wellfare fraud.
    the current system has it's faults (it is working to an extent) however more issues can be solved by spending the money on manpower, which can be used to tackle other issues as well.

You don't see why they should bother? Maybe because the current system has the country on its knees?
    Something being difficult is not a good reason not to do it.

You are making excuse after excuse for their behaviour, yet offering no alternatives apart from "suck it up and put up with it".
    Well, to use your own words, why should I?
    did you report her? people on here seem to have a habbit of seeing people doing this and that but they seem to never do anything about it. how is anyone within the relevant departments going to be able to do anything about women like her when people won't report them?

I was volunteering there and there was nothing to report.
    They couldn't take the risk of the children actually being starving, child neglect is more common in their community than the "settled" community so there were fears the kids would go without if we didn't give them the food.

The SVdeP also didn't want the media storm and backlash if the poor traveller woman went to the media about how a charity discriminated against her in her hour of need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

You don't need physical vouchers. Accounts for dole monkies can be opened at designated shops and credited once a week by social welfare. On presentation of photo id recipient can buy certain, designated, essential food and household products. No smokes, booze or cakes. That would eliminate most of the black market stuff.

• Advertisement

i'd suggest that it's probably the opposite. vouchers and stamps can be exchanged for cash on the black market. sure, you could probably try to implement a system that would keep them to a person but no doubt there would be some way found around that.
    to me it sounds like a hugely expensive system to get up and running and to oversea, for which the money used could be better spent on more gardai and cab officers.

In that case, they don’t want or need support.

You don't need physical vouchers. Accounts for dole monkies can be opened at designated shops and credited once a week by social welfare. On presentation of photo id recipient can buy certain, designated, essential food and household products. No smokes, booze or cakes. That would eliminate most of the black market stuff.

That's a very sensible idea that could actually work but I have no doubt EOTR will find fault with it.

See now we are getting a little to close to 1984 for my tastes. I disagree with everything you said here. How can you tell people to do this? How would it work? Would there be special police?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Why Aldi vouchers in particular?

Aldi don't do vouchers or coupons in their normal business model, so doubt they'd have any interest in getting involved in something like this.

Rory28 wrote: »
    See now we are getting a little to close to 1984 for my tastes. I disagree with everything you said here. How can you tell people to do this? How would it work? Would there be special police?

You're providing all their essential needs. Alcohol is not an essential need. There would be an administrative cost to this but no policing cost.

Unless they're travellers.

not true, travelers are sanctioned when caught. not everyone will be caught of course, because there aren't the resources to catch everyone abusing any system, and people won't report abuses to the authorities.
    School register.

The state does know.

the state knows to an extent, and deals with what it does know where it is possible to do so. the school register will not be able to provide the state with all the information it needs in relation to every single abuse.
    But as your pal here has indicated...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108726628&postcount=1712

... they 'need the extra push'.

his point was in terms of been given the relevant supports and push to stay in education, by showing them via the method of education that education is valuable.
    QED, the sanctions that apply to everyone else for not schooling their children in accordance with the law... do not apply to travellers.

Does your TD know that ?

actually, they do. however, the state services have to be realistic in terms of what they can do in relation to this issue, so they will tend to focus on areas where it is likely for them to have some sort of a good outcome.
    You're smart enough to be condescending, but I'm smart enough not to need your advice.

Thanks anyway.

then you would surely know that contacting your td and raising issues at election time, are ways that are likely to bring about changes, whereas ranting on boards.ie isn't going to bring any change.

You're providing all their essential needs. Alcohol is not an essential need. There would be an administrative cost to this but no policing cost.

And if you happen to lose your job and end up on welfare will you be happy with to go collect your food on the condition you supply them with photo ID? Is there to be special supermarkets or food banks where these people can collect there govt issued rations or are we to force private companies into this?

If I may exaggerate a bit, your plan sounds like a dystopian nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The problem with that monkey headed logic is it assumes the sick and poor are being fraudulent and punishes them all collectively. It's the height of pig ignorance. You should sign up to Fine Gael.
    We squander money on business and corporations. We then need to bring in cuts. Then we see people, working people, needing aid just to get by. Then we blame them for getting freebies because we find ourselves unhappy with government spending on them. It's a hilarious merry-go-round really.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,320 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The problem with that monkey headed logic is it assumes the sick and poor are being fraudulent and punishes them all collectively. It's the height of pig ignorance. You should sign up to Fine Gael.
    We squander money on business and corporations. We then need to bring in cuts. Then we see people, working people, needing aid just to get by. Then we blame them for getting freebies because we find ourselves unhappy with government spending on them. It's a hilarious merry-go-round really.

we're not talking about working people. we are talking about people like Margaret Cash who dont work, never have worked and most likely are not actually qualified to do any work bar the most menial task.

Rory28 wrote: »
    And if you happen to lose your job and end up on welfare will you be happy with to go collect your food on the condition you supply them with photo ID? Is there to be special supermarkets or food banks where these people can collect there govt issued rations or are we to force private companies into this?

If I may exaggerate a bit, your plan sounds like a dystopian nightmare.

The point of ID is to stop the aforementioned fraud. The first argument against vouchers is always that they will sold on black market. What if you turned up for weekly shop and they told you it had been given out already. Someone else gave your name. Sorry. Your goods are linked to you and your id to protect them and ensure only you get them. No different to producing id at post office or intreo centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

The point of ID is to stop the aforementioned fraud. The first argument against vouchers is always that they will sold on black market. What if you turned up for weekly shop and they told you it had been given out already. Someone else gave your name. Sorry. Your goods are linked to you and your id to protect them and ensure only you get them. No different to producing id at post office or intreo centre.

I don't think we need to humiliate everyone who may be on welfare, even temporarily, solely to make life difficult for the likes of Cash. Has to be a better way.

then you would surely know that contacting your td and raising issues at election time, are ways that are likely to bring about changes, whereas ranting on boards.ie isn't going to bring any change.

This is posted daily on AH. Do you think no one else understands how the political system works or what a TD is?

And again, using divisive terms like "ranting", to annoy I assume.

It was getting towards "settled people travel to halting sites to dispose of rubbish" levels!!!!!

you do know that post about "settled people travel to halting sites to dispose of rubbish" was satire right? i can't believe so many fell for it.
    And yet you believe that if we even reduce the benefits payable currently the Gardai will be overstretched with people turning to crime and the minute they get Lidl vouchers they'll be selling them to buy contraband rather than feed their kids ?

Your posts are either coming from a very delusional point of view or they are designed as a complete wind up and I really cannot fathom which.

yes, i believe that reducing the benefits does have the possibility of increasing crime. there is no 100% guarantee of it happening, but there is no guarantee of it not happening. either way, i'm personally not willing to take the risk. i'm entitled to be safe.
    You don't see why they should bother? Maybe because the current system has the country on its knees?
    Something being difficult is not a good reason not to do it.

You are making excuse after excuse for their behaviour, yet offering no alternatives apart from "suck it up and put up with it".
    Well, to use your own words, why should I?

i'm not making excuses for their behaviour at all. i never have done so either. i am suggesting that the alternatives people want, are likely to cause more problems then would be solved, then exist with the current system.
    I was volunteering there and there was nothing to report.
    They couldn't take the risk of the children actually being starving, child neglect is more common in their community than the "settled" community so there were fears the kids would go without if we didn't give them the food.

The SVdeP also didn't want the media storm and backlash if the poor traveller woman went to the media about how a charity discriminated against her in her hour of need.

with the greatist of respect, it sounds like there was something to report. you could have reported it if you were concerned and nobody would know apart from you and the wellfare. you made the choice not to report it which is fine, but you can't really complain that the state isn't doing enough about wellfare abuses when you ignore a possible abuse, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I know you have zero intention of changing your view, so I'm not going to try and then leave myself open to unchecked abuse.

That's why its not a debate. Its too entrenched.

Oh I'm sure you'd love to tell me and the others on here lots of weird and wonderful facts about your favourite ethnic group but won't because of all of our perverse and irrational bigotry towards said people.

I've already pointed out on here that I've had, and do still have dealings with them. I've brought and sold dogs from them. All very legitimate and above board. A few years ago they decided they'd make my local their local. I still go in. I'm not going to be ran out of my own regular bar.

To be fair it's seldom I've seen it kicking off. There's a core of maybe 5 that keep the rest in check.

Gormdubh was asking about people who have been in boxing clubs with them. I have. It didn't do much to put them in a great light for me anyway. They were only any way OK to someone if they were good with their fists.

I don't hate these people. Far from it actually. In many ways I respect where they're coming from. Don't want to work for the man, pay taxes, make capitalists rich? Stay around the caravan all day minding nana and the horses? Fine by me.

But I've had my fill of subsidising it. If they want to make it work it should be up to them. Not us.

And people like Ryan Tubridy, Jennifer Zampadildo, the star of this thread missus Cash, Martin "that's a complete misrepresentation boss" Collins who continually label the rest of us intolerant racists while our neighbours and grandparents houses are ransacked, younger siblings have sh1t knocked out of them for 50c (where I come from its known as the settled tax) do nothing to help their cause.

Next GE I'm making this a single issue with whoever comes to me looking for a vote.

EOTR, I'd like to hear your suggestions on how to deal with this crisis, that doesn't involve throwing even more money at them.
    What do you suggest to improve the current situation?

Sadly you've hit on exactly why nothing will be done about these feral parasites.

No benefits and/or CAB crackdown; no increase in prosecutions for their many law breaking activities; nothing in the way of bettering their children through education and increased life expectancy; no end in sight to the misogyny that treats their women like brood mares - nothing.

Because the second you try that, the liberal media; Pavee Point and the far left unelectable - thank God - parties in leafy Dublin will go into overdrive.

One journalist or poster or campaigner etc asks for the Travelling community to be subject to the same laws as every other parent around school attendance, or asks the CAB to investigate a halting site with 182 Beemers etc - and they can expect the Twitterstorm of their lives.

We actually have one of the most generous welfare systems in the world. A source of pride.
    So the premis of your guilt tripping sick, dying crippled is faulty. The approach I proposed does not mean one cent less to the unemployed. It is a different mechanism of delivery. And one which prevents abuse of the system. And we know not everyone abuses the system. And this won't impinge on those deceant people in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

you do know that post about "settled people travel to halting sites to dispose of rubbish" was satire right? i can't believe so many fell for it.

yes, i believe that reducing the benefits does have the possibility of increasing crime. there is no 100% guarantee of it happening, but there is no guarantee of it not happening. either way, i'm personally not willing to take the risk. i'm entitled to be safe.

i'm not making excuses for their behaviour at all. i never have done so either. i am suggesting that the alternatives people want, are likely to cause more problems then would be solved, then exist with the current system.

with the greatist of respect, it sounds like there was something to report. you could have reported it if you were concerned and nobody would know apart from you and the wellfare. you made the choice not to report it which is fine, but you can't really complain that the state isn't doing enough about wellfare abuses when you ignore a possible abuse, IMO.
    Why did you remove your thanks when you were called out on it? And if it wasn’t posted by the most left poster on boards.ie I might believe it was satire but that poster has practically got levoscoliosis he’s bent that far left

EOTR, I'd like to hear your suggestions on how to deal with this crisis, that doesn't involve throwing even more money at them.
    What do you suggest to improve the current situation?

125 pages and I'm still waiting to see this answered by entitlement culture defenders.

• Advertisement

We actually have one of the most generous welfare systems in the world. A source of pride.
    So the premis of your guilt tripping sick, dying crippled is faulty. The approach I proposed does not mean one cent less to the unemployed. It is a different mechanism of delivery. And one which prevents abuse of the system. And we know not everyone abuses the system. And this won't impinge on those deceant people in any way.

Of course it will. You think completely changing how the welfare system operates won't impinge on the decent ones? They will now need to go to the approved food banks to collect their rations. No more socializing tho. Cant have a drink out of those rations.

The sh1t you are peddling belongs in Soviet Russia.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement