Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Sadly, a lot of the people on this thread seem to be suffering from out-group homogeneity bias. A bias which makes them view a group that is not thier own as one - as one who all think or act the same leading to stereotypes.

https://psychologydictionary.org/outgroup-homogeneity-bias/

Which is why I tried to make the point that settled people are not grouped into one group, yet they have committed the majority of serious crimes (murders etc) in this country.
    In fact it is only settled people that have ever led this country to civil war for example!
    The above logic is as sound as people saying that all travellers are xyz, one and the and the same!

Unfortunately, the point I was making was lost on a lot of people on this thread, which they do not wish to, or cannot grasp.

If you were to take the majority of this thread as gospel, travellers assault everyone, steal, constantly fight, none want to go to education beyond Junior Cert.
    Yet it was telling when I brought up the fact that a traveller became the first Primary techer in Ireland it was siezed upon as unfair because it was an access programme.
    But exactly the same thing is tried for disadvantaged groups in the settled community who need a push in the right direction.

I submit this post to the jury as a strong contender for Most Ridiculous Post of The Year 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Gravelly wrote: »
    I submit this post to the jury as a strong contender for Most Ridiculous Post of The Year 2018.

Na that's still the lad who said settled people go onto halting sites to dump their rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,091 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Sadly, a lot of the people on this thread seem to be suffering from out-group homogeneity bias. A bias which makes them view a group that is not thier own as one - as one who all think or act the same leading to stereotypes.

Which is why I tried to make the point that settled people are not grouped into one group, yet they have committed the majority of serious crimes (murders etc) in this country.
    In fact it is only settled people that have ever led this country to civil war for example!
    The above logic is as sound as people saying that all travellers are xyz, one and the and the same!

Unfortunately, the point I was making was lost on a lot of people on this thread, which they do not wish to, or cannot grasp.

If you were to take the majority of this thread as gospel, travellers assault everyone, steal, constantly fight, none want to go to education beyond Junior Cert.
    Yet it was telling when I brought up the fact that a traveller became the first Primary techer in Ireland it was siezed upon as unfair because it was an access programme.
    But exactly the same thing is tried for disadvantaged groups in the settled community who need a push in the right direction.
    Another poster was implying that since he knew of a travellers brother who burnt his brothers school books, the same thing will befall any traveller who is going to attempt decent education.
    Oh that poster also informed me that the particular traveller (whose books were burnt) was now an alcoholic. As if it was going to happen to all travellers!

Yeah whatever crapology you want to spin, it doesn't negate the facts that your statement in bold is nearer the actual truth than you would actually care to admit.

BTW maybe if you could deal in facts you would know that the story highlighted earlier is not of Ireland's first traveller teacher as you proudly claim, it is in fact highlighting the fact a traveller has started first year in college training to becoming a teacher.

Big fooking difference.

You play loose with facts and maybe that is why you can't see the ones that confront most of us.

dan1895 wrote: »
    Na that's still the lad who said settled people go onto halting sites to dump their rubbish.

Is it? :D

Then I respectfully withdraw my nomination!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Or perhaps blueblackblue is one of those chaps who reply to emails from Nigerian Businessmen who have millions of euros tied up in Swiss bank accounts but need some help to make a big withdrawal!

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    Yeah whatever crapology you want to spin, it doesn't negate the facts that your statement in bold is nearer the actual truth than you would actually care to admit.

BTW maybe if you could deal in facts you would know that the story highlighted earlier is not of a Ireland's first traveller teacher as claim, it is in fact highlighting the fact a traveller has started first year in college training to becoming a teacher.

Big fooking difference.

You play loose with facts and maybe that is why you can't see the ones that confront most of us.

It says everything that someone starting the first year of teacher training college is hailed as a huge breakthrough. Wonder what the unit cost would be per teacher, given the amount of extra funding thrown at traveller education programmes? €10 million? €20 million?

It would be cheaper to just let them all draw the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

jmayo wrote: »

BTW maybe if you could deal in facts you would know that the story highlighted earlier is not of Ireland's first traveller teacher as you proudly claim, it is in fact highlighting the fact a traveller has started first year in college training to becoming a teacher.

Big fooking difference.

Your splitting hairs being and very confrontational almost like a stereotype of a traveller!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

You didn’t even read the article you hastily posted, she got in to study, she did not become anything. I’d be very surprised if she gets through the course. Why celebrate someone getting to a course without even going through the usual channels where someone else has to work their hole off for and has their spot taken because of someone else’s so called ethnicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,155 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

that post seems to have disappeared.

It probably crawled off the site with embarrassment.

• Advertisement

It says everything that someone starting the first year of teacher training college is hailed as a huge breakthrough. Wonder what the unit cost would be per teacher, given the amount of extra funding thrown at traveller education programmes? €10 million? €20 million?

It would be cheaper to just let them all draw the dole.

So where do they start then do nothing?

When something is done = oh no look at the cost of that.

When nothing is done = ah sure they are all lazy, thieving, smelly, inbred spongers on the dole anyway!

Or maybe you would prefer the state to round up traveller children with the army similar to what Australia did with the Aborigines?

https://www.australianstogether.org.au/discover/australian-history/stolen-generations

Would that be cheaper alternative?

What's your solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

• Registered Users Posts: 40,155 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Be some brave people to go onto halting sites and dump rubbish there

When nothing is done = ah sure they are all lazy, thieving, smelly, inbred spongers on the dole anyway!

Or maybe you would prefer the state to round up traveller children with the army similar to what Australia did with the Aborigines?

https://www.australianstogether.org.au/discover/australian-history/stolen-generations

What's your solution?

You're some flower - to go from dodging the cost of education to rounding up children - get up the yard.

I've no issue with putting money into trying to get travellers to act like civilised people, but if it takes tens of millions of euros to end up with one trainee teacher, as a taxpayer, I balk a bit. What happened all the money? Are we not allowed to ask? It seems poor value to those of us actually funding it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

What's your solution?

By asking "what's your solution" you are explicitly acknowledging that there is a problem. Well done, that's progress.

Now, how's about you telling us what the problem is? In your own words - and no blather, please.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Be some brave people to go onto halting sites and dump rubbish there

I can see it now - the poor travellers, quivering in fear in their caravans, as the evil middle-class family drive in and throw rubbish everywhere, cackling madly all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Omack has your back. I actually love re-posting this as it is utterly ridiculous and the poster Joeytheparrot never had the balls to respond to it once.
    Originally Posted by kylith
    Of course they don't deserve squalor. No one deserves squalor, but when they manufacture the squalor themselves what can you do? It's not the settled community going to halting sites and throwing sh around the place.
    Originally Posted by Joeytheparrot
    It often is the settled community dumping crap at sites by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Another poster was implying that since he knew of a travellers brother who burnt his brothers school books, the same thing will befall any traveller who is going to attempt decent education.
    Oh that poster also informed me that the particular traveller (whose books were burnt) was now an alcoholic. As if it was going to happen to all travellers!

"Settled people" are not stoating about the place looking for ethnic status.

I doubt that's what that particular poster said or implied. I'd say they were probably just reflecting on the sadness of the situation and looking to see what you're own tuppence was on the whole thing. What do you suppose the reasoning behind it was? Why burn someone's schoolbooks? I'm guessing it's got something to do with him selling out or some rubbish like that but of course I'd be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Omackeral wrote: »
    Omack has your back. I actually love re-posting this as it is utterly ridiculous and the poster Joeytheparrot never had the balls to respond to it once.

I have seen some ****e on this board but that post beats them all by a mile.

• Advertisement

Oh and btw, on that ''it is often settled people going in and dumping rubbish at sites post'' there was a thank by everybody's favourite apologist EOTR. I called him out on it and he actually went back and removed the thank. But since the thread was locked you can see the original footprint of the post having a thank here in the second link. Sad and pathetic on two fronts.

I have seen some ****e on this board but that post beats them all by a mile.

It is often settled people posting s***e on this board by the way.

You're some flower - to go from dodging the cost of education to rounding up children - get up the yard.

I've no issue with putting money into trying to get travellers to act like civilised people, but if it takes tens of millions of euros to end up with one trainee teacher, as a taxpayer, I balk a bit. What happened all the money? Are we not allowed to ask? It seems poor value to those of us actually funding it.

That was the reason the Australians rounded up 'the Abbos' to educate them get them civilsed...

Suddenly you have decided it could take 10s of millions of Euro's to train a traveller to be a teacher, yet in the same post say they would be better on the dole.
    Then you would be the very person giving out about them on the dole/dole fraud etc

They need the extra push in education because there is no role model for them a lot of thier parents would see it as a waste of time.
    As all you need is to add and subtract etc.
    Then the cycle continues and wastes more money.
    The access programme is an attempt to break the cycle, it might not work in every situation, but it is a start.

That was the reason the Australians rounded up 'the Abbos' to educate them get them civilsed...

Suddenly you have decided it could take 10s of millions of Euro's to train a traveller to be a teacher, yet in the same post say they would be better on the dole.
    Then you would be the very person giving out about them on the dole/dole fraud etc

They need the extra push in education because there is no role model for them a lot of thier parents would see it as a waste of time.
    The access programme is an attempt to break the cycle, it might not work in every situation, but it is a start.

So we are not allowed to give out about dole fraud? Just suck it up eh?

Nor are we allowed to question vast sums being (apparently) wasted on education programmes that have idiotically low success rates?

Cos if we do those things, aborigines will get rounded up or something :rolleyes:

The more you post, the less sense it makes. If you are a product of one of these education programmes, then it is surely money wasted.

"Settled people" are not stoating about the place looking for ethnic status.

This is the one thing I agree with you on, that the ethnic status thing has become a bit of a cop out.

It only serves on antagonise people.
    Kind of like Sinn Fein looking for an Irish language act in NI
    http://www.sinnfein.ie/equal-rights-for-irish-speakers

Yet they have thier own website in English, and conduct most of thier business in English.

In other words the 'ethnic status' is just used as a tool by the travelling community because it sounds good. Just like the Irish Language Act in the North it means nothing in reality.

So we are not allowed to give out about dole fraud? Just suck it up eh?

Nor are we allowed to question vast sums being (apparently) wasted on education programmes that have idiotically low success rates?

Cos if we do those things, aborigines will get rounded up or something :rolleyes:

The more you post, the less sense it makes. If you are a product of one of these education programmes, then it is surely money wasted.

Your deliberately convoluting my posts I made it simple for you to understand.
    Now you are just playing to the gallery.

What would your solution be to do with the travellers.
    Let's call you Taoiseach for the year what would your strategy be?
    Since you do not like any current efforts, have you any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Pussyfooting.

Education of children is compulsory under the law, not a matter of traveller parents' perception and choice.

Your deliberately convoluting my posts I made it simple for you to understand.
    Now you are just playing to the gallery.

What would your solution be to do with the travellers.
    Let's call you Taoiseach for the year what would your strategy be?
    Since you do not like any current efforts, have you any ideas?

Hilarious to accuse me of convoluting your posts - they are an absolute meandering mess.

My solution is simple - impose the law.

They won't send their kids to school - jail them.

They are driving new cars and living in new caravans with no means of income - send in CAB.

Fighting at a wedding/christening/funeral/assorted family gathering - send in the riot squad. Long jail terms for persistent offending.

Drawing the dole for years - haul them in - check what jobs they've applied for, are they who they say they are, does their lifestyle match their income.

Make them obey the law like the rest of us have to, and in 5 years, you'd do more to help traveller children than any money buring education programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Hilarious to accuse me of convoluting your posts - they are an absolute meandering mess.

My solution is simple - impose the law.

They won't send their kids to school - jail them.

They are driving new cars and living in new caravans with no means of income - send in CAB.

Fighting at a wedding/christening/funeral/assorted family gathering - send in the riot squad. Long jail terms for persistent offending.

Drawing the dole for years - haul them in - check what jobs they've applied for, are they who they say they are, does their lifestyle match their income.

Make them obey the law like the rest of us have to, and in 5 years, you'd do more to help traveller children than any money buring education programme.

+1
    .we've had nothing but carrot for decades and it's been an abject failure, relations are worse than ever, we need stick for the next few decades.

The liberals have been wrong all the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Make social payments and children's allowance dependent on children being in school? Not just travellers, that could apply to anyone - people wanting to home school have to establish that they are capable and are doing it so that would not be a let out.

'Police' - or at least raid on occasions - car-boot sales to make disposing of stolen tools etc harder.

Introduce a proper identity card system - we are already over half way there so why not do it properly. Again this would not single out travellers but it might help reduce or stop social security fraud by everyone. And bring everyone into the tax net.

Have some laws about animal care and road safety (we probably already have them) and act on them. 'Settled people' mistreating animals can be prevented from owning animals, so should people who allow horses to starve on inadequate grass or race them on main roads.

Have the CAB/fraud squad/revenue investigate the people that have more vehicles etc than their (social) income might suggest possible.

These are just off the top of my head, I am sure there are lots more. Yes it would require more police but there would surely be an income from it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement