Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭airy fairy

You do actually, but not if your portion falls below the inheritance tax limits.

For a child, from memory, its over €300,000 I think so as she received less than that, you don't have to put it on the forms but if she is left more by someone else, she will have to mention any legacy she has received in the past.

Would she be subject to changes or deductions in welfare once this is reported to social and revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

airy fairy wrote: »
    Would she be subject to changes or deductions in welfare once this is reported to social and revenue?

Not sure but I would assume so.

They take all income/savings/winnings into consideration in working out what funds you have at any given moment if you are receiving social welfare payments - but she doesn't have it yet - though if she gets a drawdown for "emergency expenses" she will have to declare it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

airy fairy wrote: »
    She’d be absolutely meanstested

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

She’d be absolutely meanstested

It won’t stay in her account for long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

It won’t stay in her account for long

It won't matter - if she received it, even in €1 coins, she will have to declare it and show where she used it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It won't matter - if she received it, even in €1 coins, she will have to declare it and show where she used it.

Compliance and disclosure wouldn't be strong suits one would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

If she gets €100K into her account there's no way she'll still qualify for much unemployment welfare. Even if she puts the full amount into savings (unlikely) she'd be calculated as earning interest / returns of €270 a week on it.

But at 35 she'll still be getting child benefit for 6 of the 7 kids she has now and likely will have her 'forever home' so she's effectively getting a boost in her pension and some cash to blow on expensive decorations.

Compliance and disclosure wouldn't be strong suits one would imagine.

It’s disclosed now so that opportunity has gone.

So she can't be touched, bleeding the taxpayer, while she's got a lump-sum bubbling away...?
    Wasn't mommy very clever, no 100k til she's 35, so even in her dying will she's making sure her daughter can screw the state of child benefit, lone parent, free housing etc for many years. It'll come to fruition just as her child benefit comes to an end.
    Anyone know who her financial advisor and solicitor are? I could do with their numbers!

The whole thing makes me wrench.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It’s disclosed now so that opportunity has gone.

Published and disclosed are different things though. I hope someone makes the Gubbermint aware of all this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

What did her mother work at to save so much?
    From a post on Facebook
    Louise Rodgers This young woman's mother was involved in a life altering accident decades ago leaving her unable to walk,and brain damaged, unable to care for Margaret, her mother receiveda large claim as she had to be placed in the full time care of the mental health system for decades. Her mother was a ward of court when she was alive I'm sure the professionals managing her money helped her make a will, leaving what's left to her only child. I think the newspaper neglected to mention this to wind people up more and to create hatred and resentment.

Hmmmm and the professionals chose the age of 35 as the perfect time to give Margaret the money even though she was homeless and on social welfare at the time of her mother’s death?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

When myself and my sibling lost our mommy we were 16 and 18. 22 and 24 when we both had to care for our terminally ill dad and 23 & 25 when we had no parents left.

What we were left with was security for the immediate future, a work ethic and the ability to both stand on our own two feet instead of having to swim in government assistance. Neither of us are relying on the state, and neither of us feel like we are owed anything in life.

We both have full time jobs and while the security left to us was nice, and comforting, it’s pretty much untouched because we’re both capable adults now.

Certainly not something I’d post up and boast about on Facebook, or put off getting a job and having kids I couldn’t afford on the back of getting money in 10 years time. She’s not the only one to have sh1t happen to her, or to lose a parent young. So I don’t see the relevance of that comment saying the paper neglected to mention her mother was disabled in order to stir up hatred and resentment.

It simply isn’t relevant. Her mother’s accident prohibited her mother working. It didn’t prohibit Margaret.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

ShaneC93 wrote: »
    If she gets €100K into her account there's no way she'll still qualify for much unemployment welfare. Even if she puts the full amount into savings (unlikely) she'd be calculated as earning interest / returns of €270 a week on it.

But at 35 she'll still be getting child benefit for 6 of the 7 kids she has now and likely will have her 'forever home' so she's effectively getting a boost in her pension and some cash to blow on expensive decorations.

Seriously? €270 a week off €100,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

dfdca6ee249498e5455885416d2287a0.png

She's a right eejit.You couldn't make that one up.

Kimbot wrote: »
    Mags and co lived in a caravan at the back of their parents house in tallaght when I was growing up. Maybe it's the proceeds from house sale that's she inheriting.

Are you sure it was her parents, kimbot?

It doesn’t tie in with the post above about the mother being incapacitated.

Seriously? €270 a week off €100,000?

€0 for the first €20K, €1 for each K of the next €10K, €2 for each K of the next 20K and €4 for each K thereafter.
    It does seem a bit high for savings / investments, that's a yield of like 14% per year.

Are you sure it was her parents, kimbot?

It doesn’t tie in with the post above about the mother being incapacitated.

She was raised by an aunt & uncle. The uncle was in and out of prison. Not sure why the quote above about the mother mentions Margaret being an only child, she has 4 sisters I believe. The articles on the will mentioned they get €20K to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,266 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

€0 for the first €20K, €1 for each K of the next €10K, €2 for each K of the next 20K and €4 for each K thereafter.
    It does seem a bit high for savings / investments, that's a yield of like 14% per year.

where are you pulling these figures from? A yield of 14% a bit high????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Where do you get a return of 14% these days?

Edit:
    I see others have already made the comment and got a reply. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    From a post on Facebook

"Her mother was a ward of court."

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I wonder what elderly person he robbed the €500 cash off to hand over to the court.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Hmmmm and the professionals chose the age of 35 as the perfect time to give Margaret the money even though she was homeless and on social welfare at the time of her mother’s death?

+ 7 angles to look after

Something def doesn't add up

And here we go again...minding the fecking traveller in case of repercussions.
    Not a single bit of uproar from the media, or politicians from the revelation that this freeloader is due a windfall.
    When and how are things going to change about how we tolerate this meaningless, lowlife community?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

The Traveller Rosa Parks?

Fire me directly into the sun please.

Comparing Cash to Rosa Parks is the ultimate insult to that colossal brave woman.

I give up. It's tragic this waster gets so much attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Rosa Parks had a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I guarantee you Mags has no earthly clue who Rosa Parks is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I guarantee you Mags has no earthly clue who Rosa Parks is.

You can see her glazed look when he mentions her name in that video. I'm shocked she has the capacity to remember to breathe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement