Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I'm entitled to ....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This is not about travelers.
    This is about election to the highest office in the country, in simple terms "senior hurling".
    The President has no direct role regarding travelers more than any other section of the community.

Casey knows that.
    Ask yourself why he said it, that's the issue.
    Otherwise you are being played.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

elperello wrote: »
    This is about election to the highest office in the country, in simple terms "senior hurling".
    The President has no direct role regarding travelers more than any other section of the community.

Casey knows that.

Anyone with a modicum of sense knows that the President is merely a figurehead.
    That's a given.

In my opinion,what's being celebrated here is the fact that a high profile public figure,has the balls to speak openly about "travellers entitlement mentality".
    Here's to more of the same.

Hopefully it pushes back hard against the PC tide of 'morally outraged' populist garbage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

I didnt like Casey in the Claire Byrne debate, but i saw he was not afraid and he can say what he likes as its his own money he is squandering on this vanity race to be the first citizen.
    I will listen to his words for entertainment and to watch the heads exploding off the PC brigade and Casey is worth a listen for the that alone, he has just made the race dirty whoa.
    The other candidates were all PC and so is the lovely Michael D - all mr gallagher is is a giant boiled, bald egg and egoist.

Given the group i will vote for the 2 Bernese mountain dogs and also extra money for the groomer who does a great job. Michael D Higgins is a grand old guy not offensive and very cultured he is the appropriate person with his dogs!!! But Casey is now the entertainment .........yippee the gloves are off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Why the blazes are there 3 members from Dragon's Den running for president? That should be the headline.

they're upto something - either some new business venture to be launched early next year or possibly a new political party along the lines of the PeeDee's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Casey knows that.

That may be
    But he has highlighted what is going on, and is aware of what is really going on and of the same mindset as a lot of people.
    he had the courage to speak out, who in government has said that this kind of stuff is wrong,
    While there are lots of people homeless, and those that got fine houses built to finest speck, having solar panels also on these homes, now want a roof over a horse also, while we need to put a roof over families, is where the money should be spent,
    it is not one law for some, and aa different law for others

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Allinall wrote: »
    None.

It’s costing them all a lot of money.

I doubt they would do anything for nothing. Especially if it cost them anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I doubt he'll lose much, if any, of his existing support (such as it is). Judging by his general conduct throughout the campaign so far, he's guaranteed the pig-ignorant shit vote anyway. Such people might be over-represented on AH, but they represent only a tiny proportion of the electorate.

Michael D, on the other hand, encapsulates the inherent decency of the majority of Irish people.

https://twitter.com/MichaelDHiggins/status/1052465865289912320

When you say 'decency'...

... are we talking decent lip service or decent letting them live beside you?

Because they are radically different. I would never confuse virtue signalling with decency. Nor would I confuse frankness with offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I didnt like Casey in the Claire Byrne debate, but i saw he was not afraid and he can say what he likes as its his own money he is squandering on this vanity race to be the first citizen.
    I will listen to his words for entertainment and to watch the heads exploding off the PC brigade and Casey is worth a listen for the that alone, he has just made the race dirty whoa.
    The other candidates were all PC and so is the lovely Michael D - all mr gallagher is is a giant boiled, bald egg and egoist.

Given the group i will vote for the 2 Bernese mountain dogs and also extra money for the groomer who does a great job. Michael D Higgins is a grand old guy not offensive and very cultured he is the appropriate person with his dogs!!! But Casey is now the entertainment .........yippee the gloves are off

Michael D not offensive unless you are Cuban who has been negatively affected by the Castro regime. Maybe one is Nicaraguan and have had loved ones murdered by Daniel Ortega's death squads, Ortega whom Michael D is particularly fond of...but sweep all that neglect of morals under the carpet and he is appropriate...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If any of you think that Casey cares about your lives I despair for Irish political debate.

He has you all champing at the bit like the ponies in the video.
    Lining up to take an online dig at the travelers while he and his likes are laughing at you.

Ask yourself the question "Why did he say it?" before you go dancing to his tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Just saw the chap from Pavee with SOR when pressed about the travellers refusing the houses in Tipp he went all philosophical about the emotional attachment that travellers have with their horses . People either want houses or not I myself was damn thankful to get a council house many years ago saying that i had no animals that I was attached to at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Casey knows that.

Ah c'mon,we de peeple aint TOTALLY stoopid like,yea ?

Only for the arcane rules surrounding running for this "Office" I would happily throw my Caipín in the ring too.

€250,000 ish a year...a fine big residence & STAFF,a big Automobile and a set of Garda Outriders,plus guaranteed invites to all the latest hip-hop happenings in the State...Who the Fluich WOULD'NT want a slice of that action ??

Nobody is being played here,except perhaps the Irish Mainstream Media,who have rushed to the barricades to defend the already well defended,something already noted by Poor oul Lad's all over Ireland.

This "Highest Office in the Land" guff is all well and good,but most folks are'nt really au fait with suc Constitutional niceties as this,or the stuff like ethnicity and creativity as espoused my the current Office Holder...the plain people appreciate that the Prez has to spout this guff,cos...well...that's what he's paid to do.

Peter Casey No: 1...simply becaise he's NOT treating us like a crowd of lobotomized,inclusivized graduates drooling at the prospect of another # whatever campaign....give it sox Petey,it's a 1-Nil to you situation here now :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

RobertKK wrote: »
    Michael D not offensive unless you are Cuban who has been negatively affected by the Castro regime. Maybe one is Nicaraguan and have had loved ones murdered by Daniel Ortega's death squads, Ortega whom Michael D is particularly fond of...but sweep all that neglect of morals under the carpet and he is appropriate...

Haven’t seen any of this Cuban or Nicaraguan outrage myself.

Could you point to some examples, or are you just assuming offense on behalf of others?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

roberKK - i am an irish person i like Michael D as he is representative of me and my culture and he is suitable for the Aras. i am not cuban or nicaraguan i have my own worries here on irish soil we vote in who we deserve as do all other nations.....i am not michaels keeper. on the surface and its the surface we deal in in ireland hes fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Casey knows that.

I agree completely. I also think that Casey hasn't a snowball's of winning (and if he does, what of it, he would have no real influence as you say). BUT, he has now given the ordinary Joe Soap a chance to have their voice heard on this particular topic. So I for one laud him and will vote for him as a f-you to Fine Gael on this topic.

Thank you Mr. Casey for giving this particular law-abiding, tax-paying, hard-working, honest Joe Soap a voice on this particular topic, whatever your motives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Just saw the chap from Pavee with SOR when pressed about the travellers refusing the houses in Tipp he went all philosophical about the emotional attachment that travellers have with their horses . People either want houses or not I myself was damn thankful to get a council house many years ago saying that i had no animals that I was attached to at that time.

A horse is an expensive animal to own, if one can afford a horse, then they can afford a house.
    I don't have a horse, I could not afford a horse, yet I love horses,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Casey knows that.

Well spotted. While I don't disagree with what the man said, there's more to being president than an opinion on travellers.

There have been a heap of comments in this thread along the line of "His opinion on travellers is the same as mine so I'm going to vote for him". That's about as rational as choosing a builder based on the colour of his hair. It's irrelevant to the job that he's going to be doing.

In addition to that, too many people in the world keep falling for the "Common Man" con by elites. It's been done over and over again and people keep falling for it. It all boils down to "This man talks like dumb old me so he'll be great at that thing that I could never do". It's elites pretending to be common which may be why it keeps working on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Is this over what he said about travellers? Fair enough to me. No way should he withdraw for saying what plenty of people think but nobody can say it because it isn't the populist view.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

If they are that attached to the horses they can give up the houses

Let them pick which is a priority for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

If any of you think that Casey cares about your lives I despair for Irish political debate.

Lining up to take an online dig at the travelers while he and his likes are laughing at you.

Ask yourself the question "Why did he say it?" before you go dancing to his tune.

Who's saying he cares for anyone's lives in particular?

I dunno what thread you've been reading mate but all the praise has been for the fact that someone going for public office has spoken truthfully on this matter, when everyone else won't touch it with a bargepole.

He answered the question truthfully and accurately, and for that he's being praised.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Not at all.....I KNOW that none of the Candidates,including the current incumbent,actually gives a rats ass about MY life..in facta,if they tried to convince me of this personal concern,I would immediately smell a rat and run away...Quickly !

Life is'nt like that,and neither is human interaction.

What you so righteously describe as taking online digs,is very simply normal human reaction to stuff which is happening everyday,throughout Ireland,and,if we are honest all across the UK,parts of Europe (I personally became entwined in an ethnic Irish Nupuial celebration in Cannes of all places...and yes....the event and its many fringes, DID require the attention of the Local French Gardai) and now Australia as well.

If online digs are your barometer,I would suggest that competition is well and truly stacked in favour of the "Other Corner",as a quick trawl through Utube will rapidly reveal.

Why did he say it ???

BECAUSE HE WANTS TO GET ELECTED TO A PLUM JOB....:eek: THAT'S WHY !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Human Sausage

ITT: After Hours, once again, tilts at the "PC leftie liberal do-gooder virtue signallers" windmill.

Ironically, this forum is one big echo chamber where anything remotely left-wing has the usual names thanking each other about how you're just a do-gooder SJW but they'll still convince themselves they're a "silent" majority. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

No .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

dulux99 wrote: »
    I've never had any negative experience with any of the aforementioned groups of people.

Nor have I except for maybe Taxi Drivers
    dulux99 wrote: »
    I've had dozens and dozens of negative experience with travellers. There probably are a few honest decent travellers around but I've yet to meet them.

#MeToo.
    Babooshka wrote: »
    You're not comparing like and like, none of those races or groups above you have mentioned have special status as given to them in Ireland and they don't ask or expect any either.

My point is that people that are inherently racist flock to this kind of ****.
    Well if he hates travelers, he must hate those Nigerians too, and all those South American "Language students", etc, etc, etc

This is how Trump got elected. He's seen as this beacon of hope for "White America First", where as he's not nearly as extreme as his voters.

I'm taking this off topic and I apologise for that.

I agree with Peter though and the above to comments. I'll be voting for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    If they are that attached to the horses they can give up the houses

Let them pick which is a priority for them

like many folk i'm very attached to dogs, but i wouldn't expect the council to build me kennels if i were begging to be housed, and to refuse a house because it had no kennels.

I am genuinely disturbed by the number of 'fair play to him' and 'he's only saying what everyone is thinking' comments.

Maybe I'm living in a parallel universe here, but I don't believe I've ever had any issue/problem with a traveller. A few years ago, I used to frequently meet a group of traveller women where I worked - they were friendly, down-to-earth people - the fact that so many here are including those women in their vitriol really bothers me.

All travellers are not the same. Same as all 'country people' aren't the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,679 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Proper order, that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

_Brian wrote: »
    I feel he’s just playing the lowest common denominator by saying what he thinks people will like he’s hoping to be seen as a plausible candidate.

Ah yes anyone that likes a bit of truth, a bit of responsibility and a bit of accountability is seeking the lowest common denominator these days.
    has anyone ever noticed a traveller doing voluntary community work?

you know tidy towns, painting, cleaning, collecting rubbish etc.

Well they do tend to collect the rubbish around their sites.
    And they often offer painting services to old people and farmers.
    In fact they are so adept at it they will be back in a few months to carry out the recoat.

I couldn't give a shyte why he said it.

He had the balls to say what a lot of the people are actually thinking.

He also had the balls not to pander to a group that refuse to help themselves, refuse to contribute, all the while demanding more.

If anything he is now the most refreshing candidate for high political office we have had in this country for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

ITT: After Hours, once again, tilts at the "PC leftie liberal do-gooder virtue signallers" windmill.

Ironically, this forum is one big echo chamber where anything remotely left-wing has the usual names thanking each other about how you're just a do-gooder SJW but they'll still convince themselves they're a "silent" majority. :pac:

I would say most people in Ireland and on AH are centerist by nature and dint feel bound by terms such as left or right wing instead having opinions based on the issue

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement