Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

JMNolan wrote: »
    Wheres Me Jumper?, if you created a poll and it was 75% no and 25% yes (for example), would you accept that Peter Casey should not withdraw?

personally i think he should not withdraw.
    if anything this will help his showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

What tax incentives or monetary benefit are these 'businessmen' getting, that makes them all want to run for president with no hope of becoming it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭irishproduce

sligojoek wrote: »
    Martin Collins on Sean O Rourke now.

It is this ****e that adds to it.
    He should not be given any soapbox with which to spout rubbish unchallenged.
    He is no doubt on there getting his chance to throw the boot into a hard working man who is having a go at bringing something to the presidency.
    The dope from Pavee Point needs to be challenged at every turn and opportunity.

Suckit wrote: »
    What tax incentives or monetary benefit are these 'businessmen' getting, that makes them all want to run for president with no hope of becoming it?

ego. publicity. a sense of duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

The very definition of futility and frankly stupidity is to fight to maintain a status and lifestyle which ultimately ends in suicide.

Perhaps the Travelling Community needs to look into itself and ascertain where the real problems lie?

This is a good point.

But at the end of the day this is Presidential election and the person representing the people of Ireland should technically have the same sentiment of the major of people voting.

It's no secret that the average Joes do not like travelers. I don't like them, and I'm willing to admit that. I'm positive they're not all bad people, but enough of them are such to the extent that I trust none of them.

They cause problems where ever they go, whether it's dumping, stealing, antisocial behavior, animal cruelty etc.
    Very few of them work, and those that do don't pay tax.
    They represent an large portion of the prison population (20%) relative to the population of the country (<1%).
    They absolutely refuse to integrate into society, they have their way and that's it.

Peter has hit home here and earned himself a lot of votes including my own.

But I think society needs to be cautious here, yeah we don't like Travelers.... but who else do we not like?
    Blacks?
    Hispanics?
    Muslims?
    Jews?
    People from Kerry?

It's a slippery slope, and before you know what's going on we're building a big fu*king wall somewhere cause we're looking for people to blame.

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Casey is not wrong in what he said but is non PC these days

If recognising traveller ethnicity was put to the people in a referendum it would be defeated very heavily imo

agreed, but ethnicity is not a popularity contest.
    it has something to do with DNA i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

Suckit wrote: »

None.

It’s costing them all a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

poolboy wrote: »
    My Father has spent the last week awake at night because he had a visit from travellers offering to do some work for him. He knows as well as everyone else who lives in rural areas does, they’ll be back to rob him of whatever they can soon. He’s 70 and terrified. That’s the traveller reality in Ireland. Special ethnic status? Its a f#&*ing joke.

They have also come to my door, are very persuasive, and if I am home alone, I do feel venerable, usually there are two or three, If I want to purchase something, there are plenty hard wear and furniture shops I can go into, and have a guarantee, where do they get tools to sell, I do not want these kind of sales at my door, and would like to feel safe also.
    I always take down reg number, make and colour of vehicle, as I did not invite these into my space in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Perhaps Pavee Point might explain why Travellers go to weddings and funerals of their own community armed with slash hooks,cricket bats,guns etc?.Peter Casey said what probably hundreds of thousands of people in this country think but don't say because of the awful PC world we live in nowadays.Speaking ones mind now is almost classed as a criminal act.

That tide is turning though, slowly but it is turning.

grahambo wrote: »
    This is a good point.

But at the end of the day this is Presidential election and the person representing the people of Ireland should technically have the same sentiment of the major of people voting.

It's no secret that the average Joes do not like travelers. I don't like them, and I'm willing to admit that. I'm positive they're not all bad people, but enough of them are such to the extent that I trust none of them.

They cause problems where ever they go, whether it's dumping, stealing, antisocial behavior, animal cruelty etc.
    They represent an large portion of the prison population (20%) relative to the population of the country (<1%).
    They absolutely refuse to integrate into society, they have their way and that's it.

But I think society needs to be cautious here, yeah we don't like Travelers.... but who else do we not like?
    Blacks?
    Hispanics?
    Muslims?
    Jews?
    People from Kerry?

It's a slippery slope, and before you know what's going on we're building a big fu*king wall somewhere cause we're looking for people to blame.

Is it you or everyone in general that do not like people from the Kingdom

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »
    None.

It’s costing them all a lot of money.

except Michael D.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

This is a good point.

Blacks?
    Hispanics?
    Muslims?
    Jews?
    People from Kerry?

This is exactly the type of comments that made me start the organisation, Kerrylivesmatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

goat2 wrote: »
    Is it you or everyone in general that do not like people from the Kingdom

I f**king love Kerry!
    If I could get a well paid IT job down there and didn't have a kid up here in the big schmoke I'd be down there in a second.

Thing is though, people from the Kingdom probably wouldn't like some Jackeen moving down there. :D

I f**king love Kerry!
    If I could get a well paid IT job down there and didn't have a kid up here in the big schmoke I'd be down there in a second.

Thing is though, people from the Kingdom probably wouldn't like some Jackeen moving down there. :D

Correct:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Nail on the head Peter boy. Good to see someone's not terrified of speaking the truth for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,057 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

except Michael D.

We pay his

Casey has a point, well said

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

Posted in other thread as well. Watching TV yesterday saw an ad for sponsoring a child so they could stay in school, not be a child bride or beaten into compliance. Thing is you can apply anyone of those to traveller girls.
    How can anyone condone this "culture"?

I presume this was a calculated move by Casey.

If it was, then it has worked well. He will get multiples of the amount votes that he would have before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

BPKS wrote: »

If it was, then it has worked well. He will get multiples of the amount votes that he would have before.

Thing is, if he actually wanted to bring about meaningful change then the presidency is not the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Blacks?
    Hispanics?
    Muslims?
    Jews?
    People from Kerry?

You're not comparing like and like, none of those races or groups above you have mentioned have special status as given to them in Ireland and they don't ask or expect any either.

• Advertisement

Now they want him to withdraw from the race,
    I hope he stays, he has my vote, had it from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

BPKS wrote: »

For sure. He was on 1%, he can't really lose any support.

He will probably be at minimum 3-5% now and will have a lot more considering him for 2nd preference. I still don't think he'll come close to winning but we'll have to see what the polls say as the election day comes closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Fann Linn wrote: »
    And then dumping it.

No boss............the settled people keep coming into the site and dumping rubbish...i tells ye, not a word of a lie........

This is a good point.

Blacks?
    Hispanics?
    Muslims?
    Jews?
    People from Kerry?

What a load of bollox that is.

I've never had any negative experience with any of the aforementioned groups of people.

I've had dozens and dozens of negative experience with travellers. There probably are a few honest decent travellers around but I've yet to meet them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

goat2 wrote: »
    Now they want him to withdraw from the race,
    I hope he stays, he has my vote, had it from the start

I think he's an awful candidate, but I hope he doesn't withdraw because I'm interested in seeing how popular his views are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

dulux99 wrote: »
    What a load of bollox that is.

I've never had any negative experience with any of the aforementioned groups of people.

I've had dozens and dozens of negative experience with travellers. There probably are a few honest decent travellers around but I've yet to meet them.

I think thats the point grahambo is making.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I think thats the point grahambo is making.

But making the narrative "it's a slippery slope" is a ridiculous one.

Travellers have caused hassle for people for generations. Creating the "we have to be careful" mindset is bollox. We don't have to be careful, we know what they're like, they've been like it for generations. People aren't looking to actively discriminate against them, their behaviour warrants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

I think he's an awful candidate, but I hope he doesn't withdraw because I'm interested in seeing how popular his views are.

No doubt,more popular than yours.

I think of the poor farmer that had to go to the outhouse in the evening with his gun to feel safe, and ended up in jail for protecting himself,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

I wasn't going to vote, except maybe to spoil my vote as a form of protest against Higgins' u-turn on running for a second term. (I believe Higgins is hands down the best candidate but I believe politicians should stand by their statements to the electorate.)

Now I'll definitely be giving Casey my only vote. Not because I think he's a good candidate, in fact I know as little or as much about him as I do about the rest because the whole thing doesn't overly bother me. Because he has echoed my views on the 'travelling community' and I want Fine Gael to know that what they allowed that fool of an Enda to do to the ordinary, hard working people of Ireland (yes Leo, the people who get up early in the morning), isn't viewed as a great, statesman-like act of inclusion.

So not only will any future FG canvassers be told that Enda lost them two second preference votes in this household (my wife shares my views) but I hope that Casey gets a decent return in the polls to show them that it's a sentiment shared by many more.

Good on you Casey for speaking truthfully.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement