Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

doylefe wrote: »
    Who is this reporter on Newstalk who is surprised that any texters agree with Peter Casey's statements? How out of touch is he?

Also saying he should drop of the race because if he stays in, "that's how you end up voting in Trump".

Kevin Doyle I think, a relative of yours.

He seems to brush of any agreement with what Casey said as NIMBYism and the likes. The Trump thing was bizarre, but Kenny has argued the opposite of a few things Doyle said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Perhaps Pavee Point might explain why Travellers go to weddings and funerals of their own community armed with slash hooks,cricket bats,guns etc?.Peter Casey said what probably hundreds of thousands of people in this country think but don't say because of the awful PC world we live in nowadays.Speaking ones mind now is almost classed as a criminal act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Are you glad that so many of them are killing themselves?

Why will nobody answer this question?

I'll answer it. But remember, you brought it up, so I can't be having any whining about not getting the answer you expected.

I'm of the opinion that if someone wants to end their life they should be free to do so, but in a humane dignified manner, unencumbered by do gooders.

Just like most people now say women should be free to end the life of their unborn child, it's a matter of you and I respecting other people's choices, isnt it?

Travellers and others should have the right to end their lives if it is something they want to do.

So I do care, so much that I believe terminations should not be reserved for the unborn. We should all be afforded the choice to terminate ourselves.

It's all about choice isn't it, until you don't want people to have choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Uncharted wrote: »
    Wtf are you scutterin' about?
    Cop yourself on.

I thought it was obvious, but since it seems to have gone right over your head... I'm asking a loaded question, based on a deliberately false premise (in this case that the poster beats their wife), so that I can then accuse them of either dodging the question or failing to answer it satisfactorily.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Are you glad that you stopped beating your wife?

Disgusting post. Reported.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I thought it was obvious, but since it seems to have gone right over your head... I'm asking a loaded question, based on a deliberately false premise (in this case that the poster beats their wife), so that I can then accuse them of either dodging the question or failing to answer it satisfactorily.

Just to answer your ludicrous and malicious post. I have never lifted my hand to my spouse...EVER.
    Not dodged or failed to answer satisfactorily.
    Fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

has anyone ever noticed a traveller doing voluntary community work?

you know tidy towns, painting, cleaning, collecting rubbish etc.

.......cause none of that is part of their "culture" boss.

They like to stick to what they know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

mfceiling wrote: »
    Disgusting post. Reported.

Snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

You misquoted it, that’s why it offended the poster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

has anyone ever noticed a traveller doing voluntary community work?

you know tidy towns, painting, cleaning, collecting rubbish etc.

well....I've certainly seen them collecting rubbish.

Not sure in the way that you're referring to though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

wexie wrote: »
    well....I've certainly seen them collecting rubbish.

Not sure in the way that you're referring to though.

And then dumping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

What he said was true. Everybody agrees.

The question is why would he bother being a candidate to begin with when he hadn't a snowballs other than to further his own profile and business interests.

Dragon's Den investors and the presidential race seems to be the Irish version of rich arabs and premiership clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Wheres Me Jumper?, if you created a poll and it was 75% no and 25% yes (for example), would you accept that Peter Casey should not withdraw?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Well it won't win him an election but he has all the chance of getting part of his election cost covered after this.

There are some silly generalisations there but reaction is even more predictable. A bit of outrage and calls to step from the race. That worked so well in American election or any other election where cabdudates/parties with similar opinions gained votes. 'You can't say that' or 'that's disgusting' is probably just about the most useless way to challenge those statements.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    And then dumping it.

or burning :(

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    You misquoted it, that’s why it offended the poster.

It offended the poster because they weren't familiar with the concept and therefore took my question literally. I was wrong to have assumed that they would be familiar with it, and I apologise for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Awful people.
    That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Demanding answers and talk of accusations?

Sounds like one of those traveller videos on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

sightband wrote:
    Purely for self promotion. They’re blissfully aware of this and know they haven’t a hope. And it’s working, who even heard of any of these ars*holes before they put themselves forward as candidates.

Care to run yourself ..as a non-ars*hole candidate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

"Racist" comments - how are his comments racist? Are traveller's a separate race now? As well as an ethnic group? Ridiculous.

He's dead right about the situation in Tipperary. He's dead right about the tax comments.

I've often wondered, could anyone become a traveller? If i was to get myself a caravan there and park it up on land someplace, and identify as a traveller, would I be part of this ethnic group then? And the benefits that come with it

dense wrote: »
    Demanding answers and talk of accusations?

Sounds like one of those traveller videos on YouTube

charming

• Registered Users Posts: 1 needtoknow2

It’s controversial only because he’s actually said it, his sentiments are at least similar to what very many people will express in private. Whatever about any ‘special’ status and recognition, how about travellers responsibilities as citizens and contributing members of Irish society? Instead there seems to be a sense of entitlement and that it is somehow societies responsibility to pay out for facilities for horses,and for families where nobody is allowed to ask where the father and responsibility is, to accept an above average percentile of offending from within the traveler population - are such matters really an entitlement to a special cultural status? I want to live in a society that values those that need help and support Versus an economy but not to be taken advantage of and pretend that I’m ok with it. Martin Collins from Pavee Point is a bright chap and very eloquent but it’s always the same scripted response to any negative but even fact based story relating to travellers. It’s always just another case of Stereotyping....apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

And yet... Michael D is on course to get more than two-thirds of the vote. Most people's views on Travellers are a lot more nuanced than simply 'despising' them. I'm sure, beyond your tedious hot air, even you don't genuinely despise them. I mean, are you glad that so many of them are taking their own lives?

Absolutely not, no one wants anyone in any group committing suicide. It shouldn't be either/or though. I would like them to start paying their taxes, sending their kids to school so they don't grow up outside the constraints of the law like the rest of us and in general be responsible for their own lives, caravans or not. Would Michael D like to house some of them in his garden then? The grounds of the aras could accomodate lots of them and their horses, so if he's so open to living alongside that then let him put his money where his mouth is. It isn't black or white, but in my experience it's much easier for people who live above the rest of society to lecture down to them of how they should be tolerant of what they, as an elite, do not have to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A vastly higher percentage of male Travellers are killing themselves....

The very definition of futility and frankly stupidity is to fight to maintain a status and lifestyle which ultimately ends in suicide.

Perhaps the Travelling Community needs to look into itself and ascertain where the real problems lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lobbylad

So, a genuine question:

Given that travelers have higher suicide rates, potentially higher rates of criminality (though I've never seen hard facts to support this), lower education/qualifications, lower standards of living etc etc, and that supporting travelers as an "ethnic minority" hasn't improved their conditions, what exactly should be done?

And we often hear that "the traveler culture must be preserved" - but why should it?

Their way of life is gone, its no longer relevant to modern society.

What are the alternatives to the current system?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Fann Linn wrote:
    The truth hurts I spose..

I never heard of the guy nor know anything of his politics but you're 100% correct, that is the truth and rather ironically the PC-mob could never except it as such. Hard to believe the lack of reasoning, in that those highlighting such hypocritical policies are generally the ones pushing for a stronger, socially responsible society.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

My Father has spent the last week awake at night because he had a visit from travellers offering to do some work for him. He knows as well as everyone else who lives in rural areas does, they’ll be back to rob him of whatever they can soon. He’s 70 and terrified. That’s the traveller reality in Ireland. Special ethnic status? Its a f#&*ing joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Casey is not wrong in what he said but is non PC these days

If recognising traveller ethnicity was put to the people in a referendum it would be defeated very heavily imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

poolboy wrote: »
    My Father has spent the last week awake at night because he had a visit from travellers offering to do some work for him. He knows as well as everyone else who lives in rural areas does, they’ll be back to rob him of whatever they can soon. He’s 70 and terrified. That’s the traveller reality in Ireland. Special ethnic status? Its a f#&*ing joke.

Why the media and certain MEP's and politicians and figureheads of this country can only look at one side of the travelling community speaks volumes about selective spin. There are good travellers, there are bad ones, there are good "settled people", there are bad ones, simply giving a blanket ethnic status to all and making them into some kind of mythical creature is ridiculous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement