Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

It may not have been a good idea for Casey to get drawn into such a debate, but on the day where Brexit negotiations regarding the Irish border are being decided upon, this is the main headline across the country.

Why the blazes are there 3 members from Dragon's Den running for president? That should be the headline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I wasn't going to vote, except maybe to spoil my vote as a form of protest against Higgins' u-turn on running for a second term. (I believe Higgins is hands down the best candidate but I believe politicians should stand by their statements to the electorate.)

Now I'll definitely be giving Casey my only vote. Not because I think he's a good candidate, in fact I know as little or as much about him as I do about the rest because the whole thing doesn't overly bother me. Because he has echoed my views on the 'travelling community' and I want Fine Gael to know that what they allowed that fool of an Enda to do to the ordinary, hard working people of Ireland (yes Leo, the people who get up early in the morning), isn't viewed as a great, statesman-like act of inclusion.

So not only will any future FG canvassers be told that Enda lost them two second preference votes in this household (my wife shares my views) but I hope that Casey gets a decent return in the polls to show them that it's a sentiment shared by many more.

Good on you Casey for speaking truthfully.

+1

I was precluded from voting for the same candidate I did previously as he had passed away since, and was unsure of where to place the FP vote.

It''s going to Mr Casey, if nothing more than to make a point that we are tired of the PC rhetortic surrounding a protected group.

They should not be so and we should have an open discussion about taxation, "rural" aka Traveller crime, domestic violence, treatment of women generally and animal cruelty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Uncharted wrote: »
    No doubt,more popular than yours.

I suppose we'll see how popular they are next week when he defeats Michael D. Higgins in an unprecedented landslide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I'll be voting for Michael D. and doubt very much I'll change my mind.....

But I 100% agree with this guy on Travellers and their "ethnic status".

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The Irish Donald Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I had no intention of voting, but at least one person had the courage to go against the PC brigade. It won't stop that lad that claimed he only wanted one term, but I'm voting for Casey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

the whole Presidential race is a nonevent as far i am concerned. at least this will liven it up a bit. God knows it needs it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

I suppose we'll see how popular they are next week when he defeats Michael D. Higgins in an unprecedented landslide.

I just happened to be listening to a show on Shannonside/northern sound radio, the Joe Finnegan show, it goes out daily from 9-11 am.
    Its a current affairs show with a big listenership, it covers counties Longford, Roscommon, Leitrim, Cavan and Monaghan.
    He brought it up and discussed Peter Casey's statements on the travellers.
    At the end of the show he said he was actually shocked, he received a fair few emails and txts about it and not one of them was critical of Casey's statement.

Edward M wrote: »
    I just happened to be listening to a show on Shannonside/northern sound radio, the Joe Finnegan show, it goes out daily from 9-11 am.
    Its a current affairs show with a big listenership, it covers counties Longford, Roscommon, Leitrim, Cavan and Monaghan.
    At the end of the show he said he was actually shocked, he received a fair few emails and txts about it and not one of them was critical of Casey's statement.

ya but that's the midlands ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

ya but that's the midlands ....

In which counties are travellers like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

eagle eye wrote: »
    The Irish Donald Trump.

No, as I'm sure you know, the presidency of Ireland is a far cry from the presidency of the US. I'd hate to see a Trump-like figure as Taoiseach but maybe, just maybe, if Casey's views garner him a little support in the mickey-mouse race for President of Ireland then it might force our incumbent politicians to take notice and take action now to prevent us ever finding ourselves in a position where we have an extremist right wing government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

He wasn't getting my vote, but he is now. Finally someone who has the balls to say what everyones thinking but won't say. Straight talking no BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

. Because he has echoed my views on the 'travelling community' and I want Fine Gael to know that what they allowed that fool of an Enda to do to the ordinary, hard working people of Ireland (yes Leo, the people who get up early in the morning), isn't viewed as a great, statesman-like act of inclusion.

If i remember correctly the Dail was full that day and every single member got to their feet like a herd of sheep and gave a round of applause when Enda announced the recognition of criminality, tax avoidance, illegal dumping, illegal burning, bullying of elderly people and widespread, wilfull ignoring of the rules of law and decency as deserving of "ethnic minority" status.

When did we become so weak as to be afraid to speak the truth. The silent majorities views has just been represented by an election candidate who will now be savaged by the vocal minority.

He is an election candidate that hasn't a chance of being elected. He's someone who i don't think would make a good president. However, it refreshing to hear somebody looking for votes speak his mind and not what his PR guru has programmed

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If Michael D Higgins is so upset over what Peter Casey said, he can show it by building those Travellers their stables in Thurles as an act of solidarity, or look to allow a halting site on the grounds of the Aras.
    Thought not...

I like people who give their opinion whether one agrees or not, it is not freedom if people are afraid to say what they believe because a PC brigade will get upset one had the cheek to use freedom of speech to have an opinion which doesn't correlate with PC values.

Not to mention, children now have to learn about Traveller culture in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

I wasn't going to vote, except maybe to spoil my vote as a form of protest against Higgins' u-turn on running for a second term. (I believe Higgins is hands down the best candidate but I believe politicians should stand by their statements to the electorate.)

Now I'll definitely be giving Casey my only vote. Not because I think he's a good candidate, in fact I know as little or as much about him as I do about the rest because the whole thing doesn't overly bother me. Because he has echoed my views on the 'travelling community' and I want Fine Gael to know that what they allowed that fool of an Enda to do to the ordinary, hard working people of Ireland (yes Leo, the people who get up early in the morning), isn't viewed as a great, statesman-like act of inclusion.

So not only will any future FG canvassers be told that Enda lost them two second preference votes in this household (my wife shares my views) but I hope that Casey gets a decent return in the polls to show them that it's a sentiment shared by many more.

Good on you Casey for speaking truthfully.

well said

• Registered Users Posts: 15,867 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I cannot believe that someone actually said this. Imagine echoing the views of the vast majority of the settled community (some of whom are no angels, but are unable to hide behind "ethnic status"). Fair dues to that man.

Can't wait for Kitty Holland and Una Mullalley's comments on this in the paper of PC record.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

eagle eye wrote: »
    The Irish Donald Trump.

Ironically he doesn't like Trump or his policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lobbylad

"The purpose of recognising Traveller ethnicity is to renegotiate the relationship between society and Travellers so that we can value Travellers' contribution to society more."

Quote from Shane O'Curry, director of the European Network Against Racism in the Indo.

Why does no one question him on what exactly are "Travellers contributions to society"? Ask for some specific and clear examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Being discussed now by Ciara on NT.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

He's getting my vote

• Advertisement

lobbylad wrote: »
    "The purpose of recognising Traveller ethnicity is to renegotiate the relationship between society and Travellers so that we can value Travellers' contribution to society more."

Quote from Shane O'Curry, director of the European Network Against Racism in the Indo.

Why does no one question him on what exactly are "Travellers contributions to society"? Ask for some specific and clear examples?

i agree. it works both way. that's why i asked this question.
    has anyone ever noticed a traveller doing voluntary community work?

you know tidy towns, painting, cleaning, collecting rubbish etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

I never once claimed he would defeat Michael D.
    None of the candidates will.

My point is,Casey's views and opinions on travellers are supported by all right thinking people.

PC liberal luvvies like yourself are in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

This is how Trump got elected. Not by exactly telling it "as it is" but by not being afraid or concerned about speaking bluntly and unapologetically about what he thought. That was like a breath of fresh air for indifferent registered voters. Casey must have been studying the Trump play book.

I was disinterested in voting but after Casey making these comments I will go and vote for him for having the balls to say it publically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Strangely, this might sway Leo from any thoughts of a general election in the next year. Despite what politicians say, they know exactly what the population's opinions are on a lot of issues. If Casey gets a good vote from this, Leo may get the message that there's a sizeable percentage of voters who are itching to give them a kicking in the ballot box. As they say in politics, it's the little things that trip you up
    He's polling at 1% at moment, it's unlikely he'll get his deposit back so he's not gonna get a good vote thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

It may not have been a good idea for Casey to get drawn into such a debate, but on the day where Brexit negotiations regarding the Irish border are being decided upon, this is the main headline across the country.

Why the blazes are there 3 members from Dragon's Den running for president? That should be the headline.

Transfers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Thank God somebody went on record saying this stuff he's right in what he's saying.He's going to have more of a following now because he had the balls to come out and say it.I wasn't going to vote but I will be now for him and there will be plenty more people like me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

valoren wrote: »
    This is how Trump got elected. Not by exactly telling it "as it is" but by not being afraid or concerned about speaking bluntly and unapologetically about what he thought. That was like a breath of fresh air for indifferent registered voters. Casey must have been studying the Trump play book.

It's not. He lost the popular vote. More people in America who voted found they wanted Clinton's policies more so than Trump's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Edward M wrote: »

Peter Casey has just uttered, how we are all thinking,
    My children have big mortgages, just to have a roof over their heads, work dawn to dark to have them,
    They cannot afford a Kennel for the dog as well as the house, so they have decided not to have the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Well the media have been trying to play up this utterly tedious election but now it just got interesting.

I wouldn't be bothered to go to the trouble of voting at all but since the blasphemy ref is combined I will be voting and I have now decided on who I'm going to vote for.

I have been living at my current address for the last 6 years and in the last 2 years travellers have become much more visible around the town causing a nuisance like never before. I cannot abide anti-social behaviour, no mind criminal behaviour, and I sense and even stronger arrogant behaviour from them and which I wouldn't be surprised is in at least some way attributable to the new 'ethnic minority' status. I am not far away from going to guards about one particular settled traveller who just this week for some reason unknown to me ran after me shouting at me after exiting a supermarket looking to get my attention. I walked briskly onwards with my hoody up as if I didn't hear him. When I see him with his kids on an almost daily basis I try not to stare agape and cross the street, or leave the store If I see them in there which is a far too regular occurrence.

If he was not a traveller I would go straight up to him and tell him to f*ck off and stop this low level harassment that I'm sure I'm not the only victim off but because he has 'special status' I'd be reluctant to tell him where to go in the law got involved and I'd be castigated for being racist towards him. Travellers to me are noting more than lower working class citizens and exhibit all the behaviours you'd expect to find in all the lower working class demographics anywhere in the world and to attribute those traits to a culture is noting short of bonkers.

• Advertisement

goat2 wrote: »
    Peter Casey has just uttered, how we are all thinking,
    My children have big mortgages, just to have a roof over their heads, work dawn to dark to have them,
    They cannot afford a Kennel for the dog as well as the house, so they have decided not to have the dog.

i would also say that any homeless person who refuses a house, whether it be in Monkstown or in Moate should immediately go to the bottom of the queue.

if you are in such dire need, then you should accept a house wherever it is.
    as a country when did we get so bloody picky?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement