Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    The media coverage of the election and Casey in particular has been irresponsible and sensationalist yet attracts no criticism.

So what were Casey ideas about getting young travellers more employment opportunities, did have any ideas, plans, strategy. the guy was running for president of the country!

All he had was, **** the travellers nothing more yet 20% ran to him.

I'd guess Casey and his team sat around and decided who they'd go after, Muslims,Refugees, etc any minority would've probably done to get his money back!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Education has a huge influence on employment potential. The nomadic, often chaotic nature of traveller children’s home lives mean many leave education early, without qualifications resulting in poor employment prospects. Add to this the high percentage of male travelers with criminal records and employment becomes harder to attain.

Does anybody know how to resolve the education issue tough?
    I went to school with travellers. They were treated equally and had friends. There wasn't bullying from teachers or the exclusion John Connors talks about. People were treated the same.
    They were provided with resource hours and SNA's as required similar to the settled children.
    When secondary school came a long they all dropped out way before the Junior Cert.
    I don't know what they can do to keep them in education apart from maybe offering extra subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I went to school with travellers. They were treated equally and had friends. There wasn't bullying from teachers or the exclusion John Connors talks about. People were treated the same.
    They were provided with resource hours and SNA's as required similar to the settled children.
    When secondary school came a long they all dropped out way before the Junior Cert.
    I don't know what they can do to keep them in education apart from maybe offering extra subject.

Hit the parents in the pocket

No benefits if no school attendance before JC (at the least)

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Hit the parents in the pocket

No benefits if no school attendance before JC (at the least)

That's the obvious thing but if they just turn up and put in no effort and fail everything it's not really going help them getting a job.
    To me we have to figure out why does a lifestyle without an education is better than one with an education.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Some travellers could become Bounty hunters . Set somebody that has certain experience to catch the bad guys .

There could be a film in this .

He travelled so far to get his bounty ( ok maybe a TV ad )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I was scoffing because his latest utterances are just off the wall

What about your own off the wall utterance that settled people often dump their rubbish at Traveller sites. I'm not messing btw folks, joeytheparrot has literally claimed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The media coverage of the election and Casey in particular has been irresponsible and sensationalist yet attracts no criticism. Jody Corcoran writing in the Sunday Independent states that Casey ran as ugly a campaign as any candidate has run for election to any office in the country. This is patent nonsense. One only has to look at the father of our current Justice minister to look at truly ugly campaigning. During his election campaign he stated
    “we are going ahead with the election campaign in Laois-Offaly against the Jew-Masonic System which is imposed on us. The people are coming to us – but it's hard to get the people to understand how they are held down by the Jews and Masons, who control their very lives."

After his election he used his maiden speech to deliver an address which included the following:

“How is it that we do not see any of these Acts directed against the Jews, who crucified Our Saviour nineteen hundred years ago, and who are crucifying us every day in the week? How is it that we do not see them directed against the Masonic Order? How is it that the I.R.A. is considered an illegal organisation while the Masonic Order is not considered an illegal organisation? There is one thing that Germany did, and that was to rout the Jews out of their country. Until we rout the Jews out of this country it does not matter a hair's breadth what orders you make. Where the bees are there is the honey, and where the Jews are there is the money.”

In my own constituency a TD was shot and subsequently died while out canvassing.

So a couple of non PC remarks is far from ugly in the context of Irish elections.

The treatment of Peter Casey in media was yet another visible indicator of the insidious nature of our entire media collective (while not full of Dubs, are all based in Dublin).

Peter Casey was a candidate for the office of the state handshaker...even if he won he couldn't do a whole pile.

Martin Callinan was the former Garda Commissioner who seriously damaged the authority of the entire Garda Siochana Management culture, he did enormous damage to the reputation of one of the most important and influential and highly paid offices in this state. He singled out a hard working honest Garda and labelled him a "kiddy fiddler" one of the most abhorrent crimes in our society.......where was the vitriol for him?

Martin Callinan, Bertie Ahern, Liam Lawlor, Ray Burke, George Redmond, Charlie Haughey and their likes were all from Dublin...it is time to actually start asking where the gombeens are from, despite the rhetoric in media about who voted for Peter Casey...the knuckle draggers are in power!!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

To your question, I've no idea, but most people I know over 70 stopped school at 13/14 and went on to live very productive happy lives.
    I went to school in late 80's with travellers and they were treated terribly by the teachers.
    I've never heard a word john connor has to say but if boards if anything to go by, I'm hardly making it up. Imagine if the site wasn't moderated!!
    Also i'm certainly not against education but i don't think 2nd and 3rd level it's the be all and end all it's made out to be. It's not for everybody.

One thing I can say with certainty is that a vote for Peter Casey will not help.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

40 constituencies, if Casey set up a party, youd wonder have people had enough of the wasters we elect, to vote in a new party candidate in each constituency...

To your question, I've no idea, but most people I know over 70 stopped school at 13/14 and went on to live very productive happy lives.
    I went to school in late 80's with travellers and they were treated terribly by the teachers.
    I've never heard a word john connor has to say but if boards if anything to go by, I'm hardly making it up. Imagine if the site wasn't moderated!!
    Also i'm certainly not against education but i don't think 2nd and 3rd level it's the be all and end all it's made out to be. It's not for everybody.

One thing I can say with certainty is that a vote for Peter Casey will not help.

Yes, I know plenty of people who'd be older that dropped out of school young. They started work young and tipped away. Some went on to be very successful. There wasn't as much social welfare and they had a very basic standard of living. No big communion dresses, cars,etc. It was a completely different time. If we went back to it a lot would be horrified.
    John Connors is the same age as I am.
    I experienced the exact opposite to how he describbed school. Travellers were given everything and they still didn't stay in school.
    I understand your comment about education and agree with it. It's not for everybody. I know plenty of people who hated education but they got along with it and some dropped out early and got work. We can look at offering extra classes/etc because no matter what job you want to get into. You need to follow instructions,be educated on it and do as your told.
    I don't think a vote for any of the candidates would have helped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, what people don't like is society being blamed for poor educational outcomes among travellers.

We need politicians to tell the truth.

I don't agree with Casey's divisiveness, but I also don't agree with other politicians being afraid to tell the truth and point to a lack of personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

It is firstly the parents that must send their children to school,
    In my home, one would have to be sick to be home from school, other than that, whether we liked it or not, we were sent and if we protested, we would be taken there and deposited there real quick, with stern warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭omega man

I must admit I honestly know very little about renua but looking at their polices they appear centre right (well based on their tax / welfare reform points). I’m sure they’ve been slagged off a lot here and that’s reflected in opinion polls but what if someone like Casey was to join their ranks as opposed to going the long road of setting up a new party? Could you imagine if they were to start polling above the PBP (wouldn’t be hard!) labour or maybe even SF?

I must admit I voted for Casey in the hope of it starting a conversation but I’m not so sure he’s TD material. For that reason I cant see him joining a major party or setting up a new party either. Basically he’s started a movement but it will need someone else to carry the torch.

He could go as an independent, look at the other independents around the country, they are heading the poles in their localities.

All politics is local

• Registered Users Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Floppybits

goat2 wrote: »
    It is firstly the parents that must send their children to school,
    In my home, one would have to be sick to be home from school, other than that, whether we liked it or not, we were sent and if we protested, we would be taken there and deposited there real quick, with stern warnings

It is up to the travelling community to solve the education issue, they must take the responsibility for sending the kids to school and also for the behavior of the kids in the school, same as every one else.

For me the travelling community have to do more on their side to improve things, yes the government should help but also the Travelling community can't just sit back and expect things to be done for them. It has to be give and take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭omega man

He could go as an independent, look at the other independents around the country, they are heading the poles in their localities.

All politics is local

Agreed but it won’t lead to any national change just more parish pump stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Unless you've something on how a young traveller can access more employment oppturnities you're just talking to another member of peter caseys 20%

Well like I said, they could start by not threatening, assaulting and robbing people.

omega man wrote: »
    Agreed but it won’t lead to any national change just more parish pump stuff.

The Healy Rae's are doing well, there is also a man in Roscommon, doing well, they will again top the poll next time,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

All politics is local

The rise of the independents are another symptom of our system.

It is simply impossible to get a national political movement off the ground in this country in this day and age so people do not have an alternative, unless a single issue independent runs in your constituency you have no alternative.

You need funding, without funding you are on a hiding to nothing. We only fund parties that have seats in the Dail...you cannot accept donors over €500 (I think it is).

Can you imagine, the media narrative that will set out to destroy any political movement Peter Casey starts??

We then wonder why we are afflicted with generational emigration, systematic failures across the infrastructure of the state, highly centralised economy.

There is now emerging a scandal that will probably involve the closing of over 40 schools because they are structurally unsound....do you think the minister for Education will resign...will he f##k...we do not do accountability in this country!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    40 constituencies, if Casey set up a party, youd wonder have people had enough of the wasters we elect, to vote in a new party candidate in each constituency...

Not a hope, I don't think Casey is all that impressive

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »

If there was a few guys like Casey in the next election. I could see them getting a few seat around the country.
    I couldn't see them getting them in Dublin/Commuter counties tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The Healy Rae's are doing well, there is also a man in Roscommon, doing well, they will again top the poll next time,

That’s the problem, you have a bunch of scoans, like feudal lords, concentrating on micro issues which should be dealt with locally, not on the national stage.

Free.....add in whatever your preferred free item is...for everybody.

They never ask who is going to

A. Fund this stuff

B. Implement this stuff

C. Suggest in any way that the locals might have to actually pay for stuff like this.

The scoans never bother to ask who is paying ,they don’t care as long as it’s ‘someone else’.

People like Fitzmaurice are slobbering on the airwaves about “We must ensure this ..that... and the other, happy in the knowledge that they can ‘call, for all kinds of stuff’ but the will never have to implement and push it through.

Intelligent people can see through these stults and see them for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I personally think that the ethnic status and Traveller specific accommodation has segregated Travellers completely.

They seem to want that, and the general population is not going to take a house in a Traveller specific enclave either.

So what do we do?

I personally think that the ethnic status and Traveller specific accommodation has segregated Travellers completely.

They seem to want that, and the general population is not going to take a house in a Traveller specific enclave either.

So what do we do?
    Have a race to Mars or Elsewhere .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Not a hope, I don't think Casey is all that impressive
    imagine he had been. imagine he had been even slightly impressive (beyond his doubling down on his wrong-think opinions). or imagine MDH hadn't run again

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

imagine he had been. imagine he had been even slightly impressive (beyond his doubling down on his wrong-think opinions). or imagine MDH hadn't run again

Imagine he had run in the right election?

If Michael D didn't run again chances are the parties would have backed somebody with a bit of credibility and more people would have put themselves forward for the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Imagine he had run in the right election?
    is that directed at MLMcD?

If Michael D didn't run again chances are the parties would have backed somebody with a bit of credibility and more people would have put themselves forward for the position.
    Enda Ahern or Bertie Kenny

Which hybrid do you prefer ?

• Advertisement

blinding wrote: »
    Enda Ahern or Bertie Kenny

Which hybrid do you prefer ?

I'd have given Enda the vote over MDH though that's probably an unpopular sentiment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement