Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I think it’s an indictment of our pathetic media, That the posts here are far more accurate and offer better insight into why people voted Casey, than our gutter press ...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

blinding wrote: »
    Enda Ahern or Bertie Kenny

Which hybrid do you prefer ?

I'd have being open to anybody to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Enda gave the travellers their ethnic status
    I don't know why.
    They are Irish the same as everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I think it’s an indictment of our pathetic media, That the posts here are far more accurate and offer better insight into why people voted Casey, than our gutter press ...

You only need to look how a career criminal, (39 convictions ) who relies exclusively on the government for income yet personally and viciously abuses, lies and incites hatred towards that same government is treated against how Peter Casey who lets remember broke no laws has been treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Thank god Casey ran for election and said what he did. We now know nearly a quarter of voters at least (others may vote for him to get into the dail , but wouldn’t want him president ) have had enough of the endless waffle and wasters that make up the dail ...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

naughtb4 wrote: »
    You only need to look how a career criminal, (39 convictions ) who relies exclusively on the government for income yet personally and viciously abuses, lies and incites hatred towards that same government is treated against how Peter Casey who lets remember broke no laws has been treated.
    Kinda crazy when ya put to like that .:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I don't know why.

A phrase issued by Casey on more than one occasion.

I don't know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

I'd have given Enda the vote over MDH though that's probably an unpopular sentiment

Is that a joke? the person that gave them that status

I don't know why.

A two fingers to everyone else? because he was and is clueless and completely out of touch? had his snout so far in the trough, it would be unlikely he was ever aware of what was going on Id say.

39 convictions? who?
    I dont think I like the sound of Casey, but he was right about what he said, no one is allowed say it, I cant see why travellers got ethnic status, they do have cultural differences, everyone knows of them, along with an entitled attitude. Im sure they were badly treated, but only just as bad as a lot of other people were, just in different ways, they have been presented with opportunities that have taken from wherever they think they were, to an entitled paid for existence, and yet they remain over represented in crime and sentenced indviduals.
    I recal being poor back in the 70's and 80's, they have been given a lot more than was offered to people in my social group, they wont fix the problems in their own group, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

Yes, I know plenty of people who'd be older that dropped out of school young. They started work young and tipped away. Some went on to be very successful. There wasn't as much social welfare and they had a very basic standard of living. No big communion dresses, cars,etc. It was a completely different time. If we went back to it a lot would be horrified.
    John Connors is the same age as I am.
    I experienced the exact opposite to how he describbed school. Travellers were given everything and they still didn't stay in school.
    I understand your comment about education and agree with it. It's not for everybody. I know plenty of people who hated education but they got along with it and some dropped out early and got work. We can look at offering extra classes/etc because no matter what job you want to get into. You need to follow instructions,be educated on it and do as your told.
    I don't think a vote for any of the candidates would have helped.

Have you looked at this thread or any of the traveller threads they all back up my point and give a fairly clear view of how travellers are treated in school.
    All you have to do here is post "**** the travellers " with no arguement, no interesting point, no ideas, and you'll get 5 or 6 hundred thanks.

If you were a traveller, having looked at social media lately would you honestly send your children to school? Yet you say "they were given everything and they still didn't stay" seriously? I'm not sure what i'd do about school but no way would I send them to an Irish school, it would be cruel.

Anyhow the moment you say " there wasn't much SW... " "cummunion dresses, cars..." you're already blaming and therefore you have your answers.

I reckon the vast majority of jobs need about 6 wks of training or less and many can be done somewhat in isolation.
    And I say, somewhat isolation because we have now sadly reached a point that a traveller couldn't tolerate the abuse he/she would get for who they are, working in a regular job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Yes, I know plenty of people who'd be older that dropped out of school young. They started work young and tipped away. Some went on to be very successful. There wasn't as much social welfare and they had a very basic standard of living. No big communion dresses, cars,etc. It was a completely different time. If we went back to it a lot would be horrified.
    John Connors is the same age as I am.
    I experienced the exact opposite to how he describbed school. Travellers were given everything and they still didn't stay in school.
    I understand your comment about education and agree with it. It's not for everybody. I know plenty of people who hated education but they got along with it and some dropped out early and got work. We can look at offering extra classes/etc because no matter what job you want to get into. You need to follow instructions,be educated on it and do as your told.
    I don't think a vote for any of the candidates would have helped.

Have you looked at this thread or any of the traveller threads they all back up my point and give a fairly clear view of how travellers are treated in school.
    All you have to do here is post "**** the travellers " with no arguement, no interesting point, no ideas, and you'll get 5 or 6 hundred thanks.

If you were a traveller, having looked at social media lately would you honestly send your children to school? Yet you say "they were given everything and they still didn't stay" seriously? I'm not sure what i'd do about school but no way would I send them to an Irish school, it would be cruel.

Anyhow the moment you say " there wasn't much SW... " "cummunion dresses, cars..." you're already blaming and therefore you have your answers.

I reckon the vast majority of jobs need about 6 wks of training or less and many can be done somewhat in isolation.
    And I say, somewhat isolation because we have now sadly reached a point that a traveller couldn't tolerate the abuse he/she would get for who they are, working in a regular job.

Well that post is pure drivel !!! Travellers don’t do education. That’s their problem ! 98% of them claim the dole .. sickening stat and you know it !! But you’re too obsessed with ‘ being liked ‘ .. there is a reason they have the reputation they have !! That John connors lad incites more hatred btw.. you do know what he called the guards on live tv , yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

Rennaws wrote: »
    Well like I said, they could start by not threatening, assaulting and robbing people.

I've dealt and been around travellers, now and again and non of the above has been done to me by a traveller.

All of the above has happened to me at some stage and and luckly I was able deal with this myself without getting outside help.
    One thing all the perpetrators had in common is they were from a poor background, wealthy people are less likely to do this kinda stuff.

So this is the part I'd love for one of you guys to explain to me.

When I vote in the GE, I vote for Politicians that I believe will make the poor less poor and make fewer people poor, so maybe we can all have a nice safe life.

Can someone please explain to me what's wrong with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I've dealt and been around travellers, now and again and non of the above has been done to me by a traveller.

All of the above has happened to me at some stage and and luckly I was able deal with this myself without getting outside help.
    One thing all the perpetrators had in common is they were from a poor background, wealthy people are less likely to do this kinda stuff.

When I vote in the GE, I vote for Politicians that I believe will make the poor less poor and make fewer people poor, so maybe we can all have a nice safe life.

Not a thing, just not realistic.

Nothing it's a democracy, I will vote for a politician who wants to reward people for working hard, or even just working while protecting those who cannot

It's those working in low paying jobs trying to make ends meet that are getting screwed all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Being poor doesn't give you an excuse for being a criminal, so your question is moot.

Simply not accurate, I was going to reply, but the experiences Ive heard of are similar to experiences with adult travellers in the main, disruptive, they have everything handed to them on a plate and regards schooling, showing that there are plenty of children whos parents are not originally from Ireland and have integrated well, the fault lies with the travellers who cannot and refuse to integrate.

Again, my experience with travellers is they dont care about anyone but themselves, Ive experienced vandalism, threats of violence, violence, Ive had similar off settled people, but on the basis that travellers are a smaller percent of the population and I have had more negative experiences with them than everyone else, it seems they are over represented in negative experiences with people than their numbers should present. They simply dont have the same values as you have stated as your own,

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well what I do I ask myself what has happened to the traveller community in Ireland.
    There was a time when they were on the side of the road and traveled and didn't have much.
    There was the odd bit of thieving/etc but if you speak to older farmers a lot of them would say a lot of people felt sorry for them and left them in to do odd jobs/etc.
    Then you ask yourself why are there issues with the travelling community. We have seen that Irish people can be very accepting towards people in the gay community, people with different colored skin, Eastern European,etc. Locally I see people who'd have being against people from the Eastern European community when they first arrived and now the actively seek them out. So, it shows people can change there minds. These guys proved themselves tough and showed they could be trusted.
    If I ask them why they'd be cautious of travellers the answer I'd get is they've being or people they know have being scalded to much in the past by them in various ways and this is still happening. If somebody gives them a chance and they get done over they get told by people shur what did you expect.
    I included the line about the communion dress and cars as well just to high light an issue with in the community. If you ever watch those programs about the
    dresses/weddings the answer you get is you never ask a traveller about money. People can see a family with no jobs and on social welfare but they can splash out on these things. It's not jealous but it makes people uncomfortable thinking how was these things paid for.
    Regarding schools it has always being an issue they've managed to keep them going in primary school but secondary seems to be the issue now mainly but I don't know what else that can be done if they won't go to school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Nothing it's a democracy, I will vote for a politician who wants to reward people for working hard, or even just working while protecting those who cannot

It's those working in low paying jobs trying to make ends meet that are getting screwed all the time

Define working hard?

Try_harder wrote: »
    Define working hard?

As I said those working , be it in the public sector, the private sector, or in roles such as carers

Those who by working contribute to society by fulfilling vital services from working in shops to teachers to guards to those in the it profession, contributing tax through wages and by "getting up early in the morning".

Choosing not to work is not something anyone should aspire to and it's up to the government to help make either working more attractive or choosing not to work less attractive

I never did get your definition of liberal....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't know why.

They want the same rights as every other Irish citizen BUT they want to be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just how DO certain Travellers make their vast sums of money. You know, those who build massive houses and drive a new jeep/van every year and can pay for massive weddings/funerals/First Communions/gravestones and so on.

I am baffled at Pavee Point saying they need more help. Maybe a levy from their rich cousins re distributed amongst those of their ethnic family who are less well off might be a start.

It is a total joke. Gimme more. But I have loads. Still want more, why? because our benefactors are stupid liberals. And if they criticise us, well Martin Collins will call ye all Racist anyway. All the best now.

• Advertisement

I did two days labouring for a plasterer during the summer who was doing skimming work on our house

He told me he cannot get lads to do the job of mixing and throwing up stuff onto a mortar board. Nobody wants to work

It pays €90 a day, even €100 a day if you were good at it. Usually cash, too!

I managed to get the hang of the technique in half a day.
    I reckon i saved myself €200 on a labourer for the 2 days

So, there is plenty of work out there for lads prepared to work.
    Get off welfare, get out the door and do a weeks work.

I did two days labouring for a plasterer during the summer who was doing skimming work on our house

He told me he cannot get lads to do the job of mixing and throwing up stuff onto a mortar board. Nobody wants to work

that is not necessarily a long term or consistent thing you might be able to rely on though as permanent employment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Just how DO certain Travellers make their vast sums of money. You know, those who build massive houses and drive a new jeep/van every year and can pay for massive weddings/funerals/First Communions/gravestones and so on.

I am baffled at Pavee Point saying they need more help. Maybe a levy from their rich cousins re distributed amongst those of their ethnic family who are less well off might be a start.

It is a total joke. Gimme more. But I have loads. Still want more, why? because our benefactors are stupid liberals. And if they criticise us, well Martin Collins will call ye all Racist anyway. All the best now.

Some travellers make a lot of money conning elderly people, this is one example.

They knocked on the elderly couples door and offered to pave the garden, they wrecked the garden. The price agreed was five hundred euros but then the travellers said, no, it was five thousand euros. There were three huge men and elderly couple are five foot, they were scared to death.

They said they didnt have five thousand so travellers said they would bring them to the bank and so off they went, the couple in the van with the scum. Bank staff didnt query the transaction so cash was handed over and travellers left elderly pair on the footpath and took off.

Their entire family voted for Peter Casey.

1874 wrote: »

that is not necessarily a long term or consistent thing you might be able to rely on though as permanent employment
    A good plasterer will always have work

It pays 90 a day, even 100 a day if you were good at it. Usually cash, too!

I reckon i saved myself 200 on a labourer for the 2 days

Usually cash? As in outside the tax system?

Usually cash? As in outside the tax system?
    They say the Black ( sorry , opposite of white ) economy is still good for the economy .

They say the Black ( sorry , opposite of white ) economy is still good for the economy .

But I thought the biggest issue was get didnt pay income tax?

But I thought the biggest issue was get didnt pay income tax?
    Try _harder;
    ;)

Try _harder;
    ;)

/isn't it ironic, doncha think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Because they do and have done vast amounts of business with the settled community.

It's repeat business too, so the settled community(those they deal with in the 'cash' economy) are clearly getting what they want.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement