Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Vizzy

tretorn wrote: »
    Some travellers make a lot of money conning elderly people, this is one example.

They knocked on the elderly couples door and offered to pave the garden, they wrecked the garden. The price agreed was five hundred euros but then the travellers said, no, it was five thousand euros. There were three huge men and elderly couple are five foot, they were scared to death.

They said they didnt have five thousand so travellers said they would bring them to the bank and so off they went, the couple in the van with the scum. Bank staff didnt query the transaction so cash was handed over and travellers left elderly pair on the footpath and took off.

Their entire family voted for Peter Casey.
    Because they do and have done vast amounts of business with the settled community.

It's repeat business too, so the settled community(those they deal with in the 'cash' economy) are clearly getting what they want.

Yep, business with the settled community

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Francie, don't you think that it's ironic that the whole Traveller controversy was started by one of the Sinn Fein Councillors in Tipp ?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Vizzy wrote: »
    Francie, don't you think that it's ironic that the whole Traveller controversy was started by one of the Sinn Fein Councillors in Tipp ?

Why ironic?

I had to tell someone here what the SF position in Tipp was about the houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Just how DO certain Travellers make their vast sums of money. You know, those who build massive houses and drive a new jeep/van every year and can pay for massive weddings/funerals/First Communions/gravestones and so on.

I am baffled at Pavee Point saying they need more help. Maybe a levy from their rich cousins re distributed amongst those of their ethnic family who are less well off might be a start.

It is a total joke. Gimme more. But I have loads. Still want more, why? because our benefactors are stupid liberals. And if they criticise us, well Martin Collins will call ye all Racist anyway. All the best now.
    I used to be neutral on travellers. That changed when they started pestering my elderly relatives to get work done around the house. My relatives weren't targeted until they started developing cognitive issues then these "people" saw their opportunity. The likes of my mother is still sound enough of mind to say No much of the time but still ends up handing over an average of a few hundred euro per year to cold callers for work around the house. If she caved in every time there would be thousands spent on hedge cutting, gutter cleaning, roof sealing, driveway cleaning etc. every year.

The work that they do is invariably crap and expensive - a legitimate business that pays tax and has insurance would do better work and charge less. The problem with many tradesmen is they don't return calls and don't turn up when they say they will. This plays right into the hands of the travellers turning up at the door of an elderly person, convincing them that they need work done and offering to do it there and then.

There are enough old people around that a cold calling traveller who works fairly hard (but still does a poor job) and has a well practiced sales pitch could make 100k+ "tax free" p.a. with feck all overheads while also claiming social welfare.

With the amount of money that they can make though these kind of activities they don't even need to engage in high risk activities like actual thieving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I used to be neutral on travellers. That changed when they started pestering my elderly relatives to get work done around the house. My relatives weren't targeted until they started developing cognitive issues then these "people" saw their opportunity. The likes of my mother is still sound enough of mind to say No much of the time but still ends up handing over an average of a few hundred euro per year to cold callers for work around the house. If she caved in every time there would be thousands spent on hedge cutting, gutter cleaning, roof sealing, driveway cleaning etc. every year.

The work that they do is invariably crap and expensive - a legitimate business that pays tax and has insurance would do better work and charge less. The problem with many tradesmen is they don't return calls and don't turn up when they say they will. This plays right into the hands of the travellers turning up at the door of an elderly person, convincing them that they need work done and offering to do it there and then.

There are enough old people around that a cold calling traveller who works fairly hard (but still does a poor job) and has a well practiced sales pitch could make 100k+ "tax free" p.a. with feck all overheads while also claiming social welfare.

With the amount of money that they can make though these kind of activities they don't even need to engage in high risk activities like actual thieving.
    A lot of the crime they are involved in is exploiting very vulnerable people . The ones doing this are the lowest of the low .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

To take the above examples though, is this not a failure of our wider justice system? Why isn't cold-calling style marketing just made illegal outright? Why do we have to tolerate it? IMO, regardless of whether someone is a traveller or not, nobody should be allowed to visit someone's home uninvited to offer them any kind of service. I include people trying ot get you to switch phone providers, charity collecters, beggars, people putting junk mail through letterboxes, etc.

Instead of making it an identity issue, why can't we tackle the problem at source by making this kind of behaviour a criminal offence - regardless of who engages in it?

To take the above examples though, is this not a failure of our wider justice system? Why isn't cold-calling style marketing just made illegal outright? Why do we have to tolerate it? IMO, regardless of whether someone is a traveller or not, nobody should be allowed to visit someone's home uninvited to offer them any kind of service. I include people trying ot get you to switch phone providers, charity collecters, beggars, people putting junk mail through letterboxes, etc.

Instead of making it an identity issue, why can't we tackle the problem at source by making this kind of behaviour a criminal offence - regardless of who engages in it?
    It should be illegal to do this and it would also stop the traveller criminals from exploiting vulnerable people .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Because they do and have done vast amounts of business with the settled community.

It's repeat business too, so the settled community(those they deal with in the 'cash' economy) are clearly getting what they want.

They wouldn't be doing business with "good republicans" of the settled community by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

How does it help if it's made illegal when it's about enforcement first and foremost. Animal cruelty for instance is illegal already; it's just not enforced. We have plenty of good laws we're not using.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

An exit poll on twitter claimed 1/3 FF voters voted Casey and 25% of SF voters.

But clueless Mary and Michael will ignore this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

strandroad wrote: »
    How does it help if it's made illegal when it's about enforcement first and foremost. Animal cruelty for instance is illegal already; it's just not enforced. We have plenty of good laws we're not using.

Agreed entirely. Any time you advocate proper enforcement of laws, you get hit with the "mass incarceration doesn't work as per USA", but neglecting to mention how different that picture would be if the War on Drugs and associated incarceration was factored out of the equation. Persistent, lifestyle scumbags who actually harm others should be jailed en masse, for as long as we can get away with jailing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Wow...these two parties are having a bad week.

FF must be in internal turmoil, the debacle with O'Cuiv, the polls, the inability to launch a Presidential Campaign, being outflanked by a political novice in said campaign, expect a leadership heave ho in the coming months.

SF, Mary Lou has just gotten burnt by playing the gender card costing the party over €200,000 by deliberately selecting a female candidate who was unable to connect with anybody, least of all women!...who knows where the party is headed but it is no longer the anti establishment party that much is clear....also outflanked by a political novice!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It's a good point. However cold calling "tradesmen" (invariably travellers) are by far the most insidious of the groups mentioned.

Perhaps there should also be an onus on the householder - this exists to a certain extent as far as I know if a householder engages an unlicensed waste coillector and if illegally dumped waste can then be traced back to the householder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Wow...these two parties are having a bad week.

FF must be in internal turmoil, the debacle with O'Cuiv, the polls, the inability to launch a Presidential Campaign, being outflanked by a political novice in said campaign, expect a leadership heave ho in the coming months.

SF, Mary Lou has just gotten burnt by playing the gender card costing the party over €200,000 by deliberately selecting a female candidate who was unable to connect with anybody, least of all women!...who knows where the party is headed but it is no longer the anti establishment party that much is clear....also outflanked by a political novice!
    I reckon both Mary Lou and Martin will be gone after the next election. Another 5 years of Leo and FG it looks like. I don't want another 5 minutes of this government nevermind 5 years.

For any real change in this country we need change in media first I think. Sadly the only real change we've had in recent times is Journal.Ie and it's more liberal than the Irish Times. Soon enough they'll probably close the comments section like the Indo because they aren't PC enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

It's a good point. However cold calling "tradesmen" (invariably travellers) are by far the most insidious of the groups mentioned.

Perhaps there should also be an onus on the householder - this exists to a certain extent as far as I know if a householder engages an unlicensed waste coillector and if illegally dumped waste can then be traced back to the householder.

The problem is the local travellers are tipping off the roving gangs so they know where the elderly live. They prey on vulnerable people so you won’t have them calling with their nonsense to houses occupied by people able to defend themselves.

Travellers ignore all laws so introducing a law that can’t be enforced is a waste of time.

Another Week of the Campaign it would have been a lot more .

Leo , at least said he got the message . Law and Order in Rural Areas is going to be big in the next election .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

He’s been offered the Renua leadership!!

Excellent move my Renua.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I reckon both Mary Lou and Martin will be gone after the next election. Another 5 years of Leo and FG it looks like. I don't want another 5 minutes of this government nevermind 5 years.

For any real change in this country we need change in media first I think. Sadly the only real change we've had in recent times is Journal.Ie and it's more liberal than the Irish Times. Soon enough they'll probably close the comments section like the Indo because they aren't PC enough.

Real changes. What are these?

Could you outline.…say 4 of the “Real changes” that you say we need?

you don’t want another “5 minutes “ of this Govt.

Outline your alternative

Ta ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

He’s been offered the Renua leadership!!

Excellent move my Renua.

Aren't they a very conservative party they campaigned to keep the 8th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Whilst most people in rural Ireland now know that Fine Gael love travellers because there’s very few in their heartlands of South Dublin , Sinn Fein at the other end of the political spectrum have lost many lifelong core supporters .
    Many of Sinn Fein supporters in our rural area whilst they never had an issue with the armed struggle they were still old school mass goers . They had abortion rammed down their throats by HQ and now HQ like FG HQ say travellers are great people despite many of their supporters properties been robbed in rural Ireland .

Travellers and their crime is now a number one issue in many constituencies in rural Ireland , it seems FineGael and Sinn Fein don’t care so a block of rural alliance candidates a bit like Casey himself could attract many seats if they organise themselves .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What I don't get is how this guy proposes, first, to get selected by one of the party's the electorate have decided is not to be allowed into government on it's own anymore, then he wishes to become leader of that party (how long will he wait to be made leader) and then thirdly, all the members of that party and the TD's (who have been part of the problem) will worship at the altar of Casey?

We have entered quite a surreal period in Irish politics. He has not so much shaken things up as spun them around and around and nobody quite knows, him included, what is going on.

hurler32 wrote: »
    Whilst most people in rural Ireland now know that Fine Gael love travellers because there’s very few in their heartlands of South Dublin , Sinn Fein at the other end of the political spectrum have lost many lifelong core supporters .
    Many of Sinn Fein supporters in our rural area whilst they never had an issue with the armed struggle they were still old school mass goers . They had abortion rammed down their throats by HQ and now HQ like FG HQ say travellers are great people despite many of their supporters properties been robbed in rural Ireland .

Travellers and their crime is now a number one issue in many constituencies in rural Ireland , it seems FineGael and Sinn Fein don’t care so a block of rural alliance candidates a bit like Casey himself could attract many seats if they organise themselves .
    Law and Order candidate in Rural areas is the way to go . If the government is unable to protect Law and Order in Rural Areas of what use is that government to Rural People .

Law and Order is the first priority of Rural People .

What I don't get is how this guy proposes, first, to get selected by one of the party's the electorate have decided is not to be allowed into government on it's own anymore, then he wishes to become leader of that party (how long will he wait to be made leader) and then thirdly, all the members of that party and the TD's (who have been part of the problem) will worship at the altar of Casey?

We have entered quite a surreal period in Irish politics. He has not so much shaken things up as spun them around and around and nobody quite knows, him included, what is going on.
    He is obviously winding up FF . They are now a laughing stock and he is just making sure nobody forgets it !

Wheather Michael Martin likes it or not many Fianna Fáil TDS and councilors agree that traveller crime is the number one issue in many rural constituencies and FG and SF ( 2 unlikely bedfellows ) have their heads so far up their own Dublin PC h0les it will be Fianna Fáil and independents that will attract all the victims of traveller crime which is a growing number of people .

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

FICTION:
    Whilst most people in rural Ireland now know that Fine Gael love travellers because there’s very few in their heartlands of South Dublin .

FACT: As in 2011, Galway county had the highest number of Travellers with 2,647 persons. This was followed by South Dublin with 2,208.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Wheather Michael Martin likes it or not many Fianna Fáil TDS and councilors agree that traveller crime is the number one issue in many rural constituencies and FG and SF ( 2 unlikely bedfellows ) have their heads so far up their own Dublin PC h0les it will be Fianna Fáil and independents that will attract all the victims of traveller crime which is a growing number of people .

Local SF councillor here is very pro traveller, and had a few of them beside him on the viewing stand for the Patrick's day parade , all with multiple convictions.

cart man wrote: »
    FICTION:

FACT: As in 2011, Galway county had the highest number of Travellers with 2,647 persons. This was followed by South Dublin with 2,208.

You’ll find in rural Ireland , many travellers don’t :won’t fill in the census form so figures are wildly inaccurate . 2208 in an area like South Dublin is an extremely low percentage as opposed to other areas .
    South Dublin also has many garda stations and garda resources whilst Fine Gael closed practically all rural garda stations thus aiding their traveller friends pick off vulnerable rural dwellers at their leisure .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Absolutely terrible idea. Considering that older, vulnerable folks are the ones often preyed upon for these 'services', placing the onus on them to ensure they engage a licensed contractor is really punishing the wrong person.

Local SF councillor here is very pro traveller, and had a few of them beside him on the viewing stand for the Patrick's day parade , all with multiple convictions.
    Not good for attracting the Rural Law and Order Vote .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

cart man wrote: »
    FICTION:

Those figures mean nothing.

What is the population of Galway compared to the population of South Dublin.

You have to compare like with like.

South Dublin is very heavily populated so you have neighbours watching out for each other. In some estates whatsapps groups are recording unknown registration numbers so if travellers or other burglars are scoping out targets they will be watched. Elderly people will have people looking out for them and the Garda Station wont be far away. travellers are equally as unloved in Dublin as they are in Galway but their numbers are much smaller in realtion to the population as a whole so their effects are diluted to a certain extent. There is huge opposition to moving a group of travellers from Dublin Airport land to Coolquay, in North Dublin and four Fine Gael councillors are blocking another site in South Dublin, the site in South Dublin would vote almost exclusively for Fine Gael so Leo isnt calling these "deplorables" to account. He doesnt want to lose this constituency and he will if his local minions dsupport the halting site, they can do Leos dirty work while he tells people traumatised by travellers not to vote for someone who has the courage to say whats going on.

People have to stop thinking Caseys vote had to do with welfare, it didnt for the most part as if it had he would have received an equal vote everywhere. He got votes in constituencies where travellers are a problem and if you are living in fear for yourself and especially your childrens safety you wont think about much else.

I wonder if there was a third option and that was to get rid of the Presidency completely would a lot of people have said YES. The issue of the expenses, the use of the jet to go to Belfast and the three thousand a night hotel did concern people especially when Higgins goes on about poverty. Saying the jet has to be taken out for a few goes around the block is not a good answer, people then think ifs its just sitting there unused why do we need a Government jet anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement