Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Oh FFS. Go read a history book.

The French were more racist than the UK. And still are.

What makes the British racist and the French not???

I could do with a giggle.

Does killing by starvation a million plus in Ireland (as this is an Irish forum) plus a few million in India and Kenya count?

Or does "who is the more racist category' have a bodycount in your view?? You really have to read that history book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

BuboBubo wrote: »

France has the Cornflower - we should commemorate our own with our own symbol. Let the commonwealth keep the poppy, our republic isn't part of that :)

France has a cockerll/rooster as its mascot as they are a bunch of chickens!

I presume they use the cornflower and not the rooster as they don't want to remind the youngsters that their grandparents were a bunch of cowards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

What debate is there? You are either an Irishman or a cap tipping croppy lie down coward who supports 'er majestys murder squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

I presume they use the cornflower and not the rooster as they don't want to remind the youngsters that their grandparents were a bunch of cowards.

Weirdo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Who claimed that.?

• Advertisement

Ask poppy sellers if they can guarantee the money won’t go to any of the killers at Ballymurphy or Derry, or indeed to anyone who killed Irish civilians during the Troubles. It’s a fair and very important question.

You mean Northern Irish civilians?

RustyNut wrote: »
    Who claimed that.?

The post I quoted??

zapitastas wrote: »
    Weirdo

Ok.. Is that the best you can do? Any opinion yourself?

JayZeus wrote: »

Irish citizens, an artificial border does not divide a nation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Oh FFS. Go read a history book.

The French were more racist than the UK. And still are.

I could do with a giggle.
    RustyNut wrote: »
    Who claimed that.?
    The post I quoted??

Do you mean this one that says nothing of the sort? Or maybe you mean a different post?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So what the French did justifies Britain’s racist empire?

• Advertisement

klaaaz wrote: »
    Irish citizens, an artificial border does not divide a nation

Ah, you’re one of those then.

If you actually want to be an Irish citizen, you can live in, get a job in, pay your taxes in and contribute your fair share to the Republic of Ireland, at least for some part of your life.

Otherwise you can stay in Northern Ireland and be a British Citizen with an Irish passport, huffing and puffing blowhard, bitching about royal this that and the other.

If you pay taxes to the crown, you put bullets into british soldiers weapons. Simple as that.

If you actually want to be an Irish citizen, you can live in, get a job in, pay your taxes in and contribute your fair share to the Republic of Ireland, at least for some part of your life.

Otherwise you can stay in Northern Ireland and be a British Citizen with an Irish passport, huffing and puffing blowhard, bitching about royal this that and the other.

If you pay taxes to the crown, you put bullets into british soldiers weapons. Simple as that.

One of what? One of those who recognises the Irish nation as belonging to the island of Ireland as per our constitution? Perhaps you are an anti-constitutionalist as you're the one who mentioned about bullets first!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Graces7 wrote: »

Time and past time to give world wide thanks for our freedom together

**** right off.

So what about me? Have both British and Irish citizenship, pro britex, anti Scottish Independence and living in Ireland?

Should I feck off?

You mean like these cowards who played a vital role in the eventual success of the evacuations at Dunkirk in 1940?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Lille_(1940)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

God help anyone who dies in a war. They deserve to be remembered by those who wish to remember them.

I won’t ever wear a poppy, I don’t care how it’s dressed up or what other symbol is attached to it, I will never wear one. I can’t understand why any Irish man or woman would wear one.

The money raised funds soldiers from an army that has murdered Irish children, bombed Irish cities/towns and funded and assisted terrorists kill many Irish people.

People like Senator Neale Richmond think that it’s great to wear one in the mistaken belief that they’re remembering the canon fodder who died in the World Wars but he’s also remembering those who died attacking the country that he’s a political representative in. That’s pretty shocking.

If Britain cared so much about her glorious war heroes then why not fund them properly so they don’t need to go begging every year?

If their own Government don’t care about them then why should I?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    **** right off.

Graces7 is highly respected by most of us here on boards..

You feck off!

So what about me? Have both British and Irish citizenship, pro britex, anti Scottish Independence and living in Ireland?

Should I feck off?

Do whatever you like. My issue is with Northern Irish nationalists who think their views and aspirations are representative of the people of the Republic of Ireland, when they’re generally not. Times have changed.

I see no issue with wearing a Poppy if one does so out of respect for those who have died in conflicts. If some muppet wants to associate a show of respect with imperialism, that’s their choice, but it shouldn’t stop anyone who wants to wear one from doing so.

What’s the point in a comment like that?

Do whatever you like. My issue is with Northern Irish nationalists who think their views and aspirations are representative of the people of the Republic of Ireland, when they’re generally not. Times have changed.

I see no issue with wearing a Poppy if one does so out of respect for those who have died in conflicts. If some muppet wants to associate a show of respect with imperialism, that’s their choice, but it shouldn’t stop anyone who wants to wear one from doing so.

Err, Northern Irish nationalists are the victims(dead!) of british soldiers who are in their retirement age now. and you do not speak for Irish people south of the border who fully sympathise with Irish people who have been persecuted up there.
    The poppy is a Unionist symbol of their perseuction of Irish people, they made it into a symbol of the modern age rather than those from WW1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Plenty of Irish people have compelling personal reasons to either want to wear a poppy - or to be aghast at the idea of wearing a poppy. One of the founding principals of this country is that each should respect the other.

What’s the point in a comment like that?

It’s a correction of a deliberately misleading statement. The British Army didn’t kill Irish civilians. They killed British civilians. Not Irish civilians.

It’s a correction of a deliberately misleading statement. The British Army didn’t kill Irish civilians. They killed British civilians. Not Irish civilians.

One of the poorer quality wind up exercises I’ve read on boards in a while.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I thought this thread was about my dear old late grandad. RIP Poppy 1908-2000.:o:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

klaaaz wrote: »

Err, Northern Irish nationalists are the victims(dead!) of british soldiers who are in their retirement age now. and you do not speak for Irish people south of the border who fully sympathise with Irish people who have been persecuted up there.
    The poppy is a Unionist symbol of their perseuction of Irish people, they made it into a symbol of the modern age rather than those from WW1.

You'll find that republican paramilitaries killed more people than than UK security forces.

Add that to the equally disgusting loyalists make for grim reading

Republican groups killed 2058 people

Loyalist groups killed 1027

UK security forces killed 363

187 (~51.5%) were civilians

145 (~39.9%) were members of republican paramilitaries

18 (~4.9%) were members of loyalist paramilitaries13 (~3.5%) were fellow members of the British security forces

Of those killed by republican paramilitaries:

1080(~52%) were members/former members of the British security forces

723 (~35%) were civilians

187 (~9%) were members of republican paramilitaries

57 (~2.7%) were members of loyalist paramilitaries

11 (~0.5%) were members of the Irish security forces

Of those killed by loyalist paramilitaries:

878 (~85.4%) were civilians

94 (~9%) were members of loyalist paramilitaries

41 (~4%) were members of republican paramilitaries

14 (~1%) were members of the British security forces

Republican terrorists killed 723 civilians

Loyalist terrorists killed 878 civilians

UK security forces killed 187 civilians.

So the supposed murderous British Empire in your belief was responsible for approx. 10% of civilian deatgs.

Whilst terrorists were responsible for approx. 90% of civilian death.

And yet "it's all the Brits fault"

How silly can you be really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭piplip87

You'll find that republican paramilitaries killed more people than than UK security forces.

18 (~4.9%) were members of loyalist paramilitaries13 (~3.5%) were fellow members of the British security forces

So the supposed murderous British Empire in your belief was responsible for approx. 10% of civilian deatgs.

To add to that post above The IRA where no better or no worse than the British and Loyalists during the troubles. They all targeted civilians....

The Poppy represents them so the Poppy is up there with the Easter Lilly in my opinion. Both symbols supposed to honour those who fought for freedom unfortunately taken over by extremes.

We need a symbol to honour all Irishmen who died in conflict around the world in all wars.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I wonder will they adjust the numbers once the British finally come clean on all their collision with their loyalists.. Oh wait that's never going to happen is it, can't have the commoners knowing all their dirty little secrets can they

Oh and of course the loyalists are a direct legacy of the British Empire and it's policies..

It is the Brits fault. They’re the foreign invader. No invasion, no war.

You don’t punch someone repeatedly in the face and then complain about violence when they hit you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I find it incredible how people so willingly ignore the thousands of Irish men who fought in First and Second World Wars.

My Great Grandfather fought in the Battle of Ypres in 1914 - he was a Bombardier in the Royal Field Artillery and lost his left leg as a result of shrapnel wounds. In a way he was one of the lucky ones. He came home. To say we are proud of him would be an understatement.

Here’s the thing though - he didn’t do it because he was a traitor or a West Brit or any other insult folks care to level at him. He did it because it was a job and he needed the money.

In 2014 we went as a family, including my Grandfather (his son) to Ypres to follow in his footsteps and it was eye opening.

The thousands upon thousands of white headstones really brought home what a terrible waste of young life war really is. All those young men lying under those headstones deserve to be remembered.

And that’s why I wear the Poppy in the form of earrings I bought in Ypres. To honor my Great Grandfather’s courage and remember his many friends and fellow soldiers who never came home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

It's OK everyone! Sinn Fein now say it's OK to wear a poppy. As long as you vote for their candidate for president.

After years of sneering at those of us who objected to their campaign of selective assassination and wholesale destruction and deriding their nationalist rivals as the Stoop Down Low Party, they now strike this most virtuous of poses.

Go ahead Shinners. Knock on my door and ask for my vote. Make my day!!!

Advertisement