Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Edgware wrote: »
    Next.
    Does the Christmas shopping start earlier every year?

Seems to. This "black friday" thing seems to have crossed the atlantic now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Graces7 wrote: »
    27,000 Irish men served in WW2. Both those living in the UK and Irish here.

Churchill said that without them the war would not have been won; Hitler would have taken over

Many of these Irish gave their lives in the war for freedom from oppression.

Time and past time to give world wide thanks for our freedom together

Britain fought two world wars to preserve their empire.

To preserve their occupation of foreign lands.

To preserve their concentration camps.

To preserve their white supremacist regimes.

To preserve their right to plunder foreign lands.

To preserve their right to commit genocide.

Read The Road To Wigan Pier to see how much the ordinary people in Britain were despised by the ruling class.

Read about Britain's occupation of Kenya in the 1950s and then tell me Britain was fighting for freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have no issue with supporting those who fought in both world wars, but there's no way I'm going to ever be ok with the murdering bastards who gunned down innocent, unarmed civilians on Bloody Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I tend to find the charts poppy most of the time. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have no issue with supporting those who fought in both world wars, but there's no way I'm going to ever be ok with the murdering bastards who gunned down innocent, unarmed civilians on Bloody Sunday.

Why would you support the British terrorists who fought to supress millions across the globe?

The British establishment doesn't give a toss about anyone's freedom or human rights. It's just a convenient drum to beat when it suits them.

Look at their love for the beheaders of Saudi Arabia (which they created). Yet they get all uppity when ISIS chops someone's head off.

Look at their role in the war on Yemen.

Hypocritical scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,995 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Listening to some Fine Gael senator or something on newstalk this morning (I was still half asleep and didn't catch his name!) Anyway his point was, yes by all means we should remember "the fallen" but we should remember them by raging against the shower of bastards who sent them to their deaths, not but sentimentalising it with a poxy paper flower.

I agree with him - the whole gushing over the poppy you see these days is nothing short of disgusting. I just don't get the romanticising of war.

I'm sorry Britain, you didn't have a "glorious empire" - you raped and plundered half the world. Your history isn't anything to be proud of, quite the opposite in fact. The world doesn't look up to you with awe and respect - you are in fact a right shower of cúnts!

So, eh, no poppy for me thanks:D (unless you mean that blondie one above, there's always an exception!)

You really were half asleep.

It was Eamonn McCann espousing the above position & was quite at odds with the other contributor, FG Senator Neill Richmond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

From the start, I posted that it was highly unlikely.

I wonder how easy do you think is it for a serving member of the British army (or any army for that matter) on the eve of battle to suddenly announce "Oh, sorry Sir, I can't fight in your war because I'm actually going to join the other side and fight against ye."
    Aegir wrote: »
    It never works like that though does it?

It does actually.

Company Sgt.Maj Martin Doyle VC & MM served with the Dublin Fusiliers and the Royal Munster Fusiliers during WWI.

After the war he returned home to Ireland the highest decorated soldier in the British army having been awarded the Victoria Cross and the Military Medal (for gallantry) and joined the IRA, he fought against his former comrades in the British army during our civil war.

After the civil war Coy Sgt.Maj Doyle changed sides once again and joined the national army to fight against his former comrades in the IRA.

He's buried in Grangegorman Military Cemetery (Blackhorse Ave. Dublin 7).

As a serving soldier I don't wear a poppy, but I've donated to the appeal because it helps a lot of Irish families during their hardest times.. But besides that I'd also defend another Irish persons wish to donate to the poppy appeal by wearing a poppy.

There's a lot of 'ol sh*te posted in this thread which I can't be arsed replying to but if people here REALLY wanted to donate to a similar Irish charity then there's the Fushsia Appeal 'bet yiz didn't know about that one eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Of course there'll be debate. We'd debate 2 flies here on Ah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I'm sorry Britain, you didn't have a "glorious empire" - you raped and plundered half the world. Your history isn't anything to be proud of, quite the opposite in fact. The world doesn't look up to you with awe and respect - you are in fact a right shower of cúnts!

So, eh, no poppy for me thanks:D (unless you mean that blondie one above, there's always an exception!)

As did the French when they were not surrendering to someone. If fact the French were and still are more imperialistic than Britain.

And the French were more barbaric than Britain ever was. France was still importing slaves into the Americas long after every other country had stopped the slave trade.

Ex British colonies are mainly civilised and developed or developing.

Ex French colonies are usually the most undeveloped and are riddled with poverty, civil wars etc.

But hey, don't let history get in the way of an anti-British rant!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Patww79 wrote: »
    I can see them getting trendier here with the "oooh look how modern and progressive I am" attitude that's infesting the country these days.

I'm not sure about that. Irish people don't seem to go for displays like this. I've never seen anyone wearing an easter lily, which is associated with the 1916 rising, I believe?
    Yay, the annual Poppy thread!!!

I'm sure people will make thoughtful and insightful contributions that haven't been aired before in previous years' editions.

This is the warm up thread.
    Of course there'll be debate. We'd debate 2 flies here on Ah

I'm supporting the Unionist fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Berserker wrote: »
    I'm not sure about that. Irish people don't seem to go for displays like this. I've never seen anyone wearing an easter lily, which is associated with the 1916 rising, I believe?

God no the new breed couldn't be seen with anything Irish. Being ultra modern and progressive is about disowning all things Irish and embracing the anti. Balls deep in it.

My dad grew up in the UK and had to serve in Cyprus in the late 50s, due to national service - yet he is a proud Irishman.

Less of the judgement eh ?

Eh, no?

Patww79 wrote: »
    God no the new breed couldn't be seen with anything Irish. Being ultra modern and progressive is about disowning all things Irish and embracing the anti. Balls deep in it.

Really, what about the likes of the super trendy Gaelscoil movement?

Really, what about the likes of the super trendy Gaelscoil movement?

Look around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

As a serving soldier I don't wear a poppy, but I've donated to the appeal because it helps a lot of Irish families during their hardest times.. But besides that I'd also defend another Irish persons wish to donate to the poppy appeal by wearing a poppy.

A serving Irish soldier has no problem donating to a Unionist charity supporting British soldiers who murdered Irish people post 1969 . You sure that you're Irish and not British? Perhaps the royal irish regiment would suit you so you can kneel to the foreign British queen and take her shilling?

klaaaz wrote: »
    Perhaps the royal irish regiment would suit you so you can kneel to the foreign British queen and take her shilling?

That same shilling has kept many heads above water throughout the years in the RoI when the wonderful Irish republic feel to it's knees. Think back to 2008. The UK was a port of call for many Irish people when things went bust here.

That same shilling has kept many heads above water throughout the years in the RoI when the wonderful Irish republic feel to it's knees. Think back to 2008. The UK was a port of call for a living for many Irish people when things went bust here.

We paid a high interest rate for that 'bailout', it was not free money!

We paid a high interest rate for that 'bailout', it was not free money!

I'm talking about people getting jobs in the UK, not the bailout. Your European pals were the ones who laid the bailout on you, not the UK.

I'm talking about people getting jobs in the UK, not the bailout. Your European pals were the ones who laid the bailout on you, not the UK.

Perhaps if the UK didn't plunder and destroy Ireland for its resources over hundreds of years, Ireland could have developed economically and never have exported her people to the UK ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

That same shilling has kept many heads above water throughout the years in the RoI ... The UK was a port of call for many Irish people

In a more just world Britain would have been paying an awful lot of money in reparations - Britain has benefited enormously from Irish immigration.

Perhaps if the UK didn't plunder and destroy Ireland for its resources over hundreds of years, Ireland could have developed economically and never have exported her people to the UK ?

Perhaps if Ireland had got rid of the Catholic rulers then it may have developed.

While the rest of the world moved on, Ireland remained stuck in the 1900s. Thats not Britains fault its Irelands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Can we not get back to whinging and moaning about the Poppy's ?

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Perhaps if Ireland had got rid of the Catholic rulers then it may have developed.

While the rest of the world moved on, Ireland remained stuck in the 1900s. Thats not Britains fault its Irelands.

Sure post 1922 the Catholic church took over which was disgraceful considering their record over the centuries beforehand.

Pre-1922, it was indeed the Brits fault as they ruled us back then. We were never important as we were a colony to be exploited (the peak was that starvation tactic which peaked around 1847 onwards)

A serving Irish soldier has no problem donating to a Unionist charity supporting British soldiers who murdered Irish people post 1969 . You sure that you're Irish and not British? Perhaps the royal irish regiment would suit you so you can kneel to the foreign British queen and take her shilling?

This post should be stickied as the perfect example of the keyboard warrior.

It does actually.

Company Sgt.Maj Martin Doyle VC & MM served with the Dublin Fusiliers and the Royal Munster Fusiliers during WWI.

After the war he returned home to Ireland the highest decorated soldier in the British army having been awarded the Victoria Cross and the Military Medal (for gallantry) and joined the IRA, he fought against his former comrades in the British army during our civil war.

After the civil war Coy Sgt.Maj Doyle changed sides once again and joined the national army to fight against his former comrades in the IRA.

He's buried in Grangegorman Military Cemetery (Blackhorse Ave. Dublin 7).

Fascinating character.

You know what I mean though, it’s not like the RIR are going to turn up for work tomorrow and be told right lads, grab your guns we’re off to Cavan.

Hostilities take weeks/months to build up before any actual fighting takes place.

prinzeugen wrote: »
    As did the French when they were not surrendering to someone. If fact the French were and still are more imperialistic than Britain.

And the French were more barbaric than Britain ever was. France was still importing slaves into the Americas long after every other country had stopped the slave trade.

Ex British colonies are mainly civilised and developed or developing.

Ex French colonies are usually the most undeveloped and are riddled with poverty, civil wars etc.

But hey, don't let history get in the way of an anti-British rant!

So what the French did justifies Britain’s racist empire?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

NIMAN wrote: »

That's what that blasted poppy represents to me and many others too. I understand that all money raised from the "Poppy Appeal" within Ireland is used here, not sent back to the UK. But I will never wear one, or donate.

France has the Cornflower - we should commemorate our own with our own symbol. Let the commonwealth keep the poppy, our republic isn't part of that.

Zebra3 wrote: »

One imperialist empire is better than the other imperialist empire, did you not get the memo? :D

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »

Oh FFS. Go read a history book.

The French were more racist than the UK. And still are.

What makes the British racist and the French not???

I could do with a giggle.

Advertisement