Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppy

Options

Comments

Why? While she has different styles in her different realms, Her Majesty is the correct one in the UK and she should be accorded use of it. It is also the one the Irish would use if they rejoined the UK.

Ah Jaysas. This is comedy gold from the defenders of the Realm. Up the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Thanks be to god its over for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

rafatoni wrote: »
    Thanks be to god its over for another year.

Bound to be a few determined to keep the poppies for a few weeks yet

Danzy wrote: »
    I could care less either way.

I wouldn't bother commemorating on this day or wearing the poppy but then very, very few in this State do.

An absolutely tiny no.

That is fine for them , whatever floats their boat.

For all the debate, it is a non existent issue.

A symbol that no one really wears and commemorations that hardly exist.

I don't see what their is to be worked up about.

I couldn't care less, Danzy.
    Couldn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I couldn't care less, Danzy.
    Couldn't!

Same here a chara.

I could care less as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

If you want to wear one wear one
    If you don't want to wear one don't
    If you want to tell someone what they should and shouldn't wear feel free to use a rusty bayonet as an anal dildo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Wonder will the Loyal Orange Lodges of Dublin and Wicklow be placing a poppy wreath on Mount St Bridge again this year like they have for the last few years.

.....and of course they did!

Photographed Remembrance Sunday 2018. If you can't read the actual inscription it says:
    "In everlasting memory of the young soldiers murdered at this place in 1916.
    Their names liveth for evermore
    Lest we forget. "

(emphasis mine) Logo is that of the Royal British Legion.

Conciliatory message in the spirit of Macron and Merkel laying wreaths together?
    I don't think so.

Try putting a memorial up to Wehrmacht soldiers "murdered" by the French resistance in any town in France and see how far you get.

(PS Anyone know how to make an attached pic smaller? It doesn't need to be this big)

465919.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

They should have been shut down long ago. No place for them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Patww79 wrote: »

Give over will you. We all know that if you were in Dublin in 1916 you'd have been calling the Volunteers and the ICA murdering scumbags and throwing rotten fruit at them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Patww79 wrote: »

I think that most whether the approve of the poppy or not, armistice day, the British army can agree that the Orange Order are pure poison, a cancerous growth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

Lost five family members in WW1 on me mams side. My Great Grandmother was alive when i was younger and always spoke of her only brother who died at the battle of the Somme. On the other side my great grandfather survived the war, including the battle of Ypres. I tell you what, the poppy symbol means **** all to me in the greater scheme of things. Its not even a British concept anyway, the poem associated with it was written by an American and the poppy badge symbol was brought into existence by a Canadian. The most important thing is the keeping the memories alive of those that died in conflicts, regardless of where they were or who they were fought against. Everyone has loved ones. Seeing precious over handled, faded pictures of them shows me how much they were loved and it makes me sad to think of what they were like as a person, of how young they all were, how little they knew of the reality of warfare, of the indescribable horrors they must have seen, the fear that they must have felt and what they could have made of themselves if they had survived.Lest we forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Some lovely services today. The service that RTE covered from Enniskillen was lovely. The tower of London looks incredible. So proud to be a part of it.

61SviU1iu5L._SX450_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 67,608 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Berserker wrote: »
    Some lovely services today. The service that RTE covered from Enniskillen was lovely. The tower of London looks incredible. So proud to be a part of it.

The appalling fact is that they did forget and the British are still involved in waste of significant life to this day.
    How you can begin to believe that they are sincere evades me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The Westminster Abbey one as well. Quite excellent. German President was there and spoke. Final moment was Her Majesty and President shaking hands in peace.
    Very moving. And impressive how despite the violence and price paid by both countries, they can indeed bury the hatchet and move on as mature well adjusted modern nations. Unlike. Well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I was at the ceremony at the Irish National War Memorial Gardens in Islandbridge, which was smaller and shorter, I believe. During the two minutes silence, a WW1 biplane flew over, I think it was a Sopwith Camel or replica. The buglers could have used a little more practice, perhaps ..! :o

465923.jpg

PS: I shrank the picture offline before uploading - there are no image size controls on Boards AFAIK.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 25,470 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

.....and of course they did!

Photographed Remembrance Sunday 2018. If you can't read the actual inscription it says:
    "In everlasting memory of the young soldiers murdered at this place in 1916.
    Their names liveth for evermore
    Lest we forget. "

(emphasis mine) Logo is that of the Royal British Legion.

Conciliatory message in the spirit of Macron and Merkel laying wreaths together?
    I don't think so.

Try putting a memorial up to Wehrmacht soldiers "murdered" by the French resistance in any town in France and see how far you get.

(PS Anyone know how to make an attached pic smaller? It doesn't need to be this big)

465919.jpg

Its a blank card you get when you buy a wreath, should they ask people what the message will be before selling them? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Entitled to ask what?

Anybody calling a judge 'mlud' or 'my lord' in an Irish court is wrong.

But would you not respect them by using their correct form of address whether that be Judge, Your Honour, Mr. President, Your Highness etc.

My reference was to judges...who still like being called mlud

As they are entitled to ask in court, as you well know
    Anybody calling a judge 'mlud' or 'my lord' in an Irish court is wrong.
    Incorrect, a sitting judge can ask to be addressed of he so wishes

What?

No he/she cannot force anyone to call him/her 'mlud' or 'my lord'.

Stop digging that hole Mookie.

Seriously. Why are you spouting such patently ignorant West Brit drivel, Mookie? Francie is 100% correct.

In April 2006 new rules were signed into effect changing the way judges in Ireland are addressed in court. In the past, judges in Ireland were referred to as "My Lord", or "His Lordship". Now, they will be addressed as "Judge" or referred to as "The Court". The only exception to this is in the case of the Chief Justice and President of the High Courts, who are addressed by their titles.(Role of the judge in Irish law)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

On this day 100 years ago, drunken British soldiers celebrating the Armistice broke into No.6 Harcourt St. Dublin and viciously assaulted Seamus O'Kelly, newspaper editor and Cultural Nationalist. He later died in hospital. Lest we forget

Spook_ie wrote: »
    But would you not respect them by using their correct form of address whether that be Judge, Your Honour, Mr. President, Your Highness etc.
    No problem with Judge or President. I don't use deferential titles though and there is no onus on me to dis'respect' myself so doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

zapitastas wrote: »
    On this day 100 years ago, drunken British soldiers celebrating the Armistice broke into No.6 Harcourt St. Dublin and viciously assaulted Seamus O'Kelly, newspaper editor and Cultural Nationalist. He later died in hospital. Lest we forget

Thats Ireland's limited horizons all right. The First World War : man dies after being assaulted by drunks.

No problem with Judge or President. I don't use deferential titles though and there is no onus on me to dis'respect' myself so doing.

So there you are in Amsterdam and your drinking buddy or whatever says look there's the queen, she's coming over to speak to us, how are you going to greet her?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_royal_house

So there you are in Amsterdam and your drinking buddy or whatever says look there's the queen, she's coming over to speak to us, how are you going to greet her?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_royal_house

Hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Thats Ireland's limited horizons all right. The First World War : man dies after being assaulted by drunks.

You just can't resist yourself can you!?

Hello.

So disrespectful though, there is still a law in NL and other countries of Lese-majeste

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lèse-majesté

So perhaps not calling them by their correct title isn't the wisest of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,974 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It was the island where the term 'whataboutery' was coined after all.

So disrespectful though, there is still a law in NL and other countries of Lese-majeste

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lèse-majesté;

So perhaps not calling them by their correct title isn't the wisest of options.

There is no monarch in the world who is MY monarch. They'll just have to get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

zapitastas wrote: »

Died of a heart attack after the premises was attacked?

“ engaging in riotous celebration of the armistice which ended the first world war, attacked the premises where O’Kelly was working into the night. A man of gentle character he was upset by the aggression and suffered a seizure. He did not recover and died three days later on 14 November 1918 “

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

There is no monarch in the world who is MY monarch. They'll just have to get over it.

But you don't address them as "My majesty"

• Advertisement

But you don't address them as "My majesty"

I don't address anyone as 'My, Your or Others Majesty' and never will. I don't call priests 'Father' either.
    It's archaic, deferential and cringe inducing to think that anyone would insist on it.
    I was in a room at a dinner once at a university in the UK where someone decided pre-dinner to toast the queen. I declined, got a few leers, but they too got over it.

Advertisement