Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,440 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No, it is actual fact.

No....it's your opinion.

People buy the poppy to remember their ancestors who fought and died in WW1. You may not believe this but it's true.

This is the part where you quote random lines from the RBL site and wring your hands over 800 years of blah blah blah.

I live in the UK, I talk to people who wear and sell poppies, your stance is YOUR opinion not fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

I thought for a minute you tried to contradict a poster by suggesting a judge would be cross if you didn't call him 'my lord'.

Maybe I was mistaken. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think you let a wee mask slip there.

As they are entitled to ask in court, as you well know

• Registered Users Posts: 67,218 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

As they are entitled to ask in court, as you well know

Entitled to ask what?

Anybody calling a judge 'mlud' or 'my lord' in an Irish court is wrong.

No....it's your opinion.

People buy the poppy to remember their ancestors who fought and died in WW1. You may not believe this but it's true.

This is the part where you quote random lines from the RBL site and wring your hands over 800 years of blah blah blah.

I live in the UK, I talk to people who wear and sell poppies, your stance is YOUR opinion not fact.

I don't care if you are buying them to eat, if you buy them from the RBL you are actively supporting the British army/war machine.
    That is not an opinion, it is a simple fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,440 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I don't care if you are buying them to eat, if you buy them from the RBL you are actively supporting the British army/war machine.
    That is not an opinion, it is a simple fact.

No, it's your opinion!

Followed by the usual frankie blah blah blah

Threads done for another year, keep the bitterness in your heart frankie, I'll see you in the next SF/IRA thread where you will continue to defend the indefensible;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Odhinn

No....it's your opinion.

They may do so, but the money goes to ex-service personnell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Park the thread for a year when bitter acrimony will break out over a symbol that you never see anyone wearing and over tiny commemorations that are far apart and poorly advertised.

No, it's your opinion!

Threads done for another year, keep the bitterness in your heart frankie, I'll see you in the next SF/IRA thread where you will continue to defend the indefensible;)

What does the RBL do with your money Timberrrrrrrr. When you figure that out come back and try and defend your quite wrong position.

Why people wear it, is an opinion. What happens the money you contribute is a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Entitled to ask what?

Anybody calling a judge 'mlud' or 'my lord' in an Irish court is wrong.

Incorrect, a sitting judge can ask to be addressed of he so wishes

What?

No he/she cannot force anyone to call him/her 'mlud' or 'my lord'.

Stop digging that hole Mookie.

• Advertisement

In the same way he can asked to be called snuggywuggims.

It is an archaic term that is not recognised anymore as a term to be used.

If he tries to force it, he is contradicting legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

No....it's your opinion.

A bit more than WW1. Why interview soldiers and next of kin of those who were killed or wounded in Basra, Belfast, Falklands, Malaya, Kenya, Salerno, Suez etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Patww79 wrote: »
    It's about not wanting this country dragged down a very bad path. Poppy worship would be a gateway drug.

A "gateway drug" ? Comedy gold from you Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

As the poppy is perceived by many to be a symbol of British Imperialism why not replace it with a white dove as a symbol of peace. I would proudly wear one all year round. I will never wear a poppy.
    As for the people who advocate for poppy wearing, I would imagine they are in the main the same ones who start the brainless threads about re joining the commonwealth and supporting England in the world cup etc.
    Get over it lads
    Millions of young men were slaughtered in a disgusting war, dragged from their slums and sent to their deaths because two cousins from in bred royal families had a " whose got the biggest dick " competition.
    Anyone who wants to celebrate that atrocity should hang their heads in shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Don’t think anyone is celebrating anything think it’s more about remembering the dead and the mindless slaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Danzy wrote: »
    Park the thread for a year when bitter acrimony will break out over a symbol that you never see anyone wearing and over tiny commemorations that are far apart and poorly advertised.

Like Frankie, hide your bitterness away for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,889 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Odhinn wrote: »
    They may do so, but the money goes to ex-service personnell.

Maybe the British govt should stump up for its own ex military personnel and look after them instead of leaving it up to a charity.

Del.Monte wrote: »

The bitterness is clearly coming, in the form of lies and attacks on posters, from those who cannot get this imperialistic practice and support of the British forces established here in Ireland.

If I have played even a small part in that I am happy to continue to do so.

As the poppy is perceived by many to be a symbol of British Imperialism why not replace it with a white dove as a symbol of peace. I would proudly wear one all year round. I will never wear a poppy.
    As for the people who advocate for poppy wearing, I would imagine they are in the main the same ones who start the brainless threads about re joining the commonwealth and supporting England in the world cup etc.
    Get over it lads
    Millions of young men were slaughtered in a disgusting war, dragged from their slums and sent to their deaths because two cousins from in bred royal families had a " whose got the biggest dick " competition.
    Anyone who wants to celebrate that atrocity should hang their heads in shame.

Commemorating it isn't the same thing as celebrating it.

Maybe the British govt should stump up for its own ex military personnel and look after them instead of leaving it up to a charity.

When did any government anywhere ever look after its returned service personnel? Life is cheap.

• Advertisement

I could care less either way.

I wouldn't bother commemorating on this day or wearing the poppy but then very, very few in this State do.

An absolutely tiny no.

That is fine for them , whatever floats their boat.

For all the debate, it is a non existent issue.

A symbol that no one really wears and commemorations that hardly exist.

I don't see what their is to be worked up about.

No, it's your opinion!

Funny you speak about the indefensible considering the RBL accepts sponsorship from BaE Systems, one of the biggest weapons exporters in the business. Commemorating the casualties of war while taking dosh from an entity that creates yet more.

Danzy wrote: »
    I could care less either way.

I wouldn't bother commemorating on this day or wearing the poppy but then very, very few in this State do.

An absolutely tiny no.

That is fine for them , whatever floats their boat.

For all the debate, it is a non existent issue.

A symbol that no one really wears and commemorations that hardly exist.

I don't see what their is to be worked up about.

Just repeating the same half-truths doesn't make them true. There was more interest in the commemorations this year than for a long time and I've seen plenty of poppy wearers even here in rebel Wexford. Just remember if it wasn't for the sacrifices made by the British & Allied forces (with a hefty Irish input) that we wouldn't have the freedom to be keyboard warriors today - totalitarian regimes aren't too keen on criticism.

Funny you speak about the indefensible considering the RBL accepts sponsorship from BaE Systems, one of the biggest weapons exporters in the business. Commemorating the casualties of war while taking dosh from an entity that creates yet more.

Yeah, but they aren't Europeans so nobody much cares. Except about the money of course.
    https://www.theguardian.com/baefiles/story/0,,2231496,00.html

Just repeating the same half-truths doesn't make them true. There was more interest in the commemorations this year than for a long time and I've seen plenty of poppy wearers even here in rebel Wexford. Just remember if it wasn't for the sacrifices made by the British & Allied forces (with a hefty Irish input) that we wouldn't have the freedom to be keyboard warriors today - totalitarian regimes aren't too keen on criticism.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: That old chestnut. :rolleyes:

This was the 100 year centenary. Nobody objects to respectful commemoration and the poppy is becoming more a symbol for belligerent jingoism and nostalgia for empire than it is a signifier of mourning or remembrance.
    It will be the continuing attacks on those who don't wish to wear it in the UK that will hasten it's demise.

Yep. Just ask the Kenyans, Greeks, cyrpriots, chagos islanders, Burmese, Malayans, Indians, Iraqis, Iranians, Egyptians, Nigerians, Ugandans, Sudanese.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Patww79 wrote: »
    Hopefully with this brexit thing driving a further wedge between us and the Brits we'll see less and less of these sympathisers. I was fearing for the country under the next generation for a long time.

394.jpg

When did any government anywhere ever look after its returned service personnel? Life is cheap.

You're wrong.

Death is cheap.

The real reason why you must keep the populace (the easily deluded part, anyhow) believing that war is an honorable endeavour can be seen from simply just looking at what the three PM's stood over, and one queen stood over as head of the British armed forces and state. This is not to mention what they stood over on this island.

Blair: Afghanistan/Iraq, 635 UK military, 210,000 civilians dead.

Cameron: Libya/Syria, 1,500 civilians killed, £40 Billion of arms sold.

May: Yemen, 5,200 civilians killed, £3.5 Billion of arms to Saudi Arabia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

When you try to be patriotic but end up looking like the sacred heart of Jesus

Advertisement