Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

What were you expecting from somebody you deferentially call 'her Majesty'?

What an odd thing to call anyone in this day and age.

Why? While she has different styles in her different realms, Her Majesty is the correct one in the UK and she should be accorded use of it. It is also the one the Irish would use if they rejoined the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Would you really lower yourself to calling someone "your majesty" you really think she is above you and better than you that you would address her,or anyone, in that manner?

When you're in court you always call the judge "My Lord'
    Try calling him buddy and see what happens ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

We should just stick Come Out Ye Black and Tans on repeat country wide until it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,217 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Why? While she has different styles in her different realms, Her Majesty is the correct one in the UK and she should be accorded use of it. It is also the one the Irish would use if they rejoined the UK.

We are not in the UK. Again, why, in this day and age would you feel the need to call anyone this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Odhinn

We are not in the UK. Again, why, in this day and age would you feel the need to call anyone this?

The hint is in his initials.

• Advertisement

When you're in court you always call the judge "My Lord'
    Try calling him buddy and see hey happens ;)

We are not in a court. There is no onus on people in the Irish republic to use this bizarre title. Unless they feel inferior that is.

And by the way...update yourself.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2006/si/274/made/en/print

We are not in a court. There is no onus on people in the Irish republic to use this bizarre title. Unless they feel inferior that is.

And by the way...update yourself.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2006/si/274/made/en/print

I'm sure there's a few of ye here more familiar with higher courts than the circuit ;)

I'm sure there's a few of ye here more familiar with higher courts than the circuit ;)

You are as out of date as you are scurrilous.

http://www.courts.ie/rules.nsf/SuperiorAmdLookup/No119-S.I.+No.+196+Of+2006:+Rules+Of+The+Superior+Courts+(Mode+Of+Address+Of+Judges)+2006

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Is that not her formal title? Would you address the president of the USA as Mr. Trump or as Mr. President as a formality?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If you were a Poppy you support Twink and believe she should be commorated in the Gaiety.

If you do not you back Rory.

Heal the divisions.

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Is that not her formal title? Would you address the president of the USA as Mr. Trump or as Mr. President as a formality?

No visiting ambassador, state head calls him Mr President.

His own might, most in Britain don't even call Elisabeth by her title.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭droidman123

If i met the american president i would say something like...howya don,whats the craic

It is in the UK. There is no onus on us to use it. Unless we wish to defer to her and the idea of a monarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Danzy wrote: »
    A couple hundred in this State will attend ceremonies today.

Says it all really, this thread will have more arguing about it than will wear poppies, attend a commemoration or protest it.

That is how irrelevant the poppy day and symbol is.

People just don't give a ****.

In fairness there are many, many more than “a couple of hundred” people commemorating today. Thousands out in Sligo alone this morning.

A bit of tolerance for wouldn’t go amiss.
    Remembrance of the dead is very individual and sensitive and should be respected, whether the remembered died on Flanders field or Loughinisland or blowing up a fish shop in Belfast.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    In fairness there are many, many more than “a couple of hundred” people commemorating today. Thousands out in Sligo alone this morning.

A bit of tolerance for wouldn’t go amiss.
    Remembrance of the dead is very individual and sensitive and should be respected, whether the remembered died on Flanders field or Loughinisland or blowing up a fish shop in Belfast.

I'm tolerant of it, my point is that given it is such a niche thing why not let them.

The overwhelming majority have no interest but for some people it is important.

Hopefully with this brexit thing driving a further wedge between us and the Brits we'll see less and less of these sympathisers. I was fearing for the country under the next generation for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That's your wet dream isn't it!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Patww79 wrote: »
    Hopefully with this brexit thing driving a further wedge between us and the Brits we'll see less and less of these sympathisers. I was fearing for the country under the next generation for a long time.

So its not just about the Poppy's , it's dislike of Britain too and a want to create division and barriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

I'd wish there was this much enthusiasm by the poppy brigade for remembering the genocide of our own nation, over a million dead on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

klaaaz wrote: »
    I'd wish there was this much enthusiasm by the poppy brigade for remembering the genocide of our own nation, over a million dead on this island.
    If you say that you're a Shinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

klaaaz wrote: »

Not to mention the people who died on the invitingly named coffin ships.
    The British have conveniently air brushed the holocaust that was the "famine" out of their history, and we've been complicit in allowing it to be seen as a lesser crime than it was.

So its not just about the Poppy's , it's dislike of Britain too and a want to create division and barriers.

It's about not wanting this country dragged down a very bad path. Poppy worship would be a gateway drug.

nullzero wrote: »
    Not to mention the people who died on the invitingly named coffin ships.
    The British have conveniently air brushed the holocaust that was the "famine" out of their history, and we've been complicit in allowing it to be seen as a lesser crime than it was.

It's not exactly airbrushed out. They keep it enough so as they can regularly joke about it.

You need to look across the Irish Sea to see who is primarily to blame for creating divisions and barriers.

You are as out of date as you are scurrilous.

Living in the hateful past is your thing, not mine...but do continue

Living in the hateful past is your thing, not mine...but do continue

Says the guy/gal trying to get the digs in since his deference and hat doffing was challenged. And he /she miserably failed the test and went off.

Another flouncy huff imminent no doubt after being caught out again. :rolleyes:

Says the guy/gal trying to get the digs in since his deference and hat doffing was challenged. And he /she miserably failed the test and went off.

Another flouncy huff imminent no doubt after being caught out again. :rolleyes:

I made no reference to the queen or hat doffing to her, more lies again from your self...
    My reference was to judges...who still like being called mlud

• Registered Users Posts: 25,440 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It doesn't. There is no doubt what the poppy and the RBL are about.
    It is an adjunct to the British Defence Forces/war machine

In your opinion.

I made no reference to the queen or hat doffing to her, more lies again from your self...
    My reference was to judges...who still like being called mlud

I thought for a minute you tried to contradict a poster by suggesting a judge would be cross if you didn't call him 'my lord'.

Maybe I was mistaken. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think you let a wee mask slip there.

• Advertisement

In your opinion.

No, it is actual fact.

Advertisement