Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

They'd better honour the dead of WWI by holding to account a system that sent them to their deaths.

Most of the men who went to war for the honour of the murderous British empire had no vote, many lived in squalor, so much for noble intentions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

They'd better honour the dead of WWI by holding to account a system that sent them to their deaths.

Most of the men who went to war for the honour of the murderous British empire had no vote, many lived in squalor, so much for noble intentions.

Yeah, but they had to help poor Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

klaaaz wrote: »
    I had asked you about the term Irish Isles. There are plenty of islands around Ireland hence the quality term Irish Isles.

You mean the Irish Isles that are part of the British Isles?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

May I thank for the reminders of what tomorrow is? Out here I tend to not notice.. Will be at cyber ceremonies tomorrow. My father physically survived the last war but was very damaged in so many ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Graces7 wrote: »
    May I thank for the reminders of what tomorrow is? Out here I tend to not notice.. Will be at cyber ceremonies tomorrow. My father physically survived the last war but was very damaged in so many ways.

I'm on duty tomorrow myself, this time at home. But 100 years ago my great Grandfather was also on duty, fighting in France.

He survived the war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

The two are not mutually exclusive. Besides which, there are plenty here who are using that merely as an excuse, and revel in the deaths of those taking the King's shilling, regardless of their reasons, backgrounds, or race.

Who is saying the UK had noble intent? They were looking to maintain the balance of power, which has some moral fiber to it, but they weren't doing it for moral reasons. Some of the elite in Westminster I'm sure were moved by Belgium and Serbia, but ultimately the hard nosed decisions were based upon what was deemed most expedient for maintaining the empire's strength: and a Germany with control of the continent was not that, apparently.

This self-serving position was nothing particularly different from most of the empires' motives. France alone was predominantly motivated by revenge, and I'm not certain that's much better.

Fookin hell, even QE2 is getting criticised for not having hers. Apparently she only wears one on the Remembrance weekend itself. If everybody followed her example there would be less of this prolonged in your face poppy b*ll*xology going on IMO.

https://twitter.com/Daily_Star/status/1060200315792883712

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It’s funny isn’t it. The British pride themselves on not being militaristic. Yet for two weeks they are more militaristic than the yanks.

Remember the US student who wanted to take down the picture of the whites on the wall in her university? They were WWI soldiers

It didn’t end very well got her anyway but if she did it in the last few weeks she would have been deported immediately. Or lynched.

Then they forget about it and become PC again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Huge numbers of Irish born served in both wars.

So you are another person who doesn't know what the poppy represents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

My grand-uncle died at the Battle of Cambrai. He's buried in a World War One cemetery.

I found this out two years ago.

He was forced out of his job and into the army.

Apparently it wasn't spoken about in the family as his brothers were Old IRA in West Cork.

He was fighting for an Empire that treated him like a second class citizen.... and continued their dominance of a small country for another three years.

Sacrificed to settle a dispute between royal cousins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

yabadabado wrote: »
    So you are another person who doesn't know what the poppy represents.

It represents different things to different people...it's quite obvious that fact eludes you

• Registered Users Posts: 66,905 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It represents different things to different people...it's quite obvious that fact eludes you

It doesn't. There is no doubt what the poppy and the RBL are about.
    It is an adjunct to the British Defence Forces/war machine

It doesn't. There is no doubt what the poppy and the RBL are about.
    It is an adjunct to the British Defence Forces/war machine

Seems to have eluded you too

Seems to have eluded you too

You can pretend it is something else...knock yourself out on that one.

Read the RBL website and you will see they agree with me.

Absolutely irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

poppyganda that’s what it is

Absolutely irrelevant.

Why is it irrelevant? Why are you inventing it as something other than what it is?

Why do you need to do that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Or using it because it is a geographical term that has been in use since before we were born.

This rubbish.

It's a geographical term created by the British when they were in political control of the islands.
    Do you think they'd be called that if Ireland ruled Britain at the time?

It's not used or recognised by the Irish government and is not used in any official way here, politically or geographically.

Let the British use it for their own territories but in Ireland it should be discarded to the historical scrapheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Significant numbers of Irish died in WW1 , if people choose to wear a poppy in memory of them , what of it .
    I've five who fought in WW1 and only one came home.
    I'll remember them whatever way I want.

Significant numbers of Irish died in WW1 , if people choose to wear a poppy in memory of them , what of it .
    I've five who fought in WW1 and only one came home.
    I'll remember them whatever way I want.

You remember them by continuing to support the British Defence force/war machine.

Nobody stopping you doing that, just don't pretend what you are doing.

I remember deceased members of my family without the need to tell the world about it, by wearing a symbol of continuing British war making btw.

• Advertisement

Why is it irrelevant? Why are you inventing it as something other than what it is?

Why do you need to do that? :confused:

You're the only one inventing things here,

You're the only one inventing things here,

Unless you are dealing with a different RBL than I am, then, no, I am not 'inventing' a personal reason at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I will be at Merrion Square tomorrow. We need to acklowledge the past and those who died. Most of them were cannon fodder. The Merrion Square thing is pacifist, and organised by the Quakers (who gave so much to Dublin really). So that's the place for me.

The commemoration at the Memorial Gardens is a good one too. But easier for me to get the MSq.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/white-poppy-ceremony-at-dublin-s-merrion-square-to-mark-armistice-day-1.3686968

Unless you are dealing with a different RBL than I am, then, no, I am not 'inventing' a personal reason at all.

Refer to my first post...and if it still eludes you, then I'm afraid you're on your own.

Refer to my first post...and if it still eludes you, then I'm afraid you're on your own.

Something designed to be something specific (the poppy) cannot be misinterpreted unless you invent something to delude yourself with.

Something designed to be something specific (the poppy) cannot be misinterpreted unless you invent something to delude yourself with.

So you don't understand? Alright, will let you be to ponder on,

So you don't understand? Alright, will let you be to ponder on,

I understand that you are trying to evade. Carry on. You may fool yourself but nobody else.

I understand that you are trying to evade. Carry on. You may fool yourself but nobody else.

I offered a very basic statement in my first post... and you have trouble grasping that ...I'm not being evasive, I think the problem lies at your end tbh...will let you be now as you're coming across a bit confused now

I offered a very basic statement in my first post... and you have trouble grasping that ...I'm not being evasive, I think the problem lies at your end tbh...will let you be now as you're coming across a bit confused now

It doesn't really matter what you think you are doing, you are wearing a symbol of support for the British armed forces of the past, present and future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

It doesn't really matter what you think you are doing, you are wearing a symbol of support for the British armed forces of the past, present and future.

You're stuck in a loop Francie .

It'll be the same next year for you.
    Past ,present and future , incapable of moving on .
    Most will never have any contact with the British Army let alone see anyone wear a poppy.

Advertisement