Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASTI ballot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

Millem wrote: »
    When are asti results out?

Closing date is tomorrow, might get word tomorrow evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

No it will be thursday or Friday. They dont start counting until all in as far as Im aware

Any one hear anything?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Icsics wrote: »
    Any one hear anything?

I'd assume fri, put us in a mood for the toy show

The Asti is only in the business of managing the decline of teaching conditions. The reversal of such a position requires a complete take over by "radicals "of the union. My generation will retire on a fantastic pension. The next generation must finally wake up and smell the coffee but like a lot of humanity they are oblvious to the iceberg approaching.
    However all that being said. I was raised in an Ireland without special needs resource's. Without career guidance. Without even handouts. We lose but we gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I was raised in an Ireland without special needs resource's. Without career guidance. Without even handouts. We lose but we gain.

I don't see why we should yearn for those days for those reasons to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Any predictions ? What time should we expect the result at ?

I don't see why we should yearn for those days for those reasons to be honest.

You miss my point. We should not yearn for them at all. Teaching conditions are declining but living conditions are much better than 30 years ago. Schools are much better resourced too.
    Until young teachers seize total control of the Asti and get their fellow teachers out of their navel gazing then over all conditions will continue to decline.

I still predict a sizeable yes

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    Any predictions ? What time should we expect the result at ?

69/40 yes +/- 3 or a 51/49 No +/- 1

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

ASTI votes to reject deal by 53% to 47%, 58% turnout.

Sir123 wrote: »
    ASTI votes to reject deal by 53% to 47%, 58% turnout.

I was close :-) ball is back in INTO court, but no one can say we ain't standing up for nqt and lpt .

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

judeboy101 wrote: »
    I was close :-) ball is back in INTO court, but no one can say we ain't standing up for nqt and lpt .

Tui letting us carry the load as usual too

What’s the plan now ?
    We have been told all along that there will be no financial penalties for voting NO so no issues there for anyone ..........

km79 wrote: »
    Tui letting us carry the load as usual too

What’s the plan now ?
    We have been told all along that there will be no financial penalties for voting NO so no issues there for anyone ..........

Into vote for strike hopefully recommending a yes with caveat that only strike in conjunction with asti, we do same.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nellieelephant

Well done ASTI. We can hold our heads up high. Shame on the TUI.

Into vote for strike hopefully recommending a yes with caveat that only strike in conjunction with asti, we do same.

Yes but I would view the INTO along the same lines as TUI & it needs to be over 60% voting for strike for INTO. Still, good news but the crucial question is what next?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

What do you mean by this?? That the asti and B into only should go on strike if they both go out together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I don't think it will be close. 55-58% yes. The fight is gone out of the union. Romantic Asti is dead and gone it's with the November dispute in the grave.
    Young staff brain washed by an outlandish hdip and too busy back stabbing each other to get the huge sum of 2k after tax. I suspect if you offered to pay them in gruel they might take it.

lol

lol

I made a mistake but not as big a one as your mother made (joke)

• Advertisement

Unless the INTO agrees to strike we should do nothing. I'd say 90% of Asti feels the same way

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Aquals

Delighted with this result!

However, it won’t achieve anything unless we follow it up with strike action.

The government have been blackmailing us for years in relation to pay. It’s time we use the best weapon we have to fight back.....schools can’t operate without teachers!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭scooby77

Icsics wrote: »
    Yes but I would view the INTO along the same lines as TUI & it needs to be over 60% voting for strike for INTO. Still, good news but the crucial question is what next?!
    Needs to be 67% of turnout for strike. Judging by feeling on the ground would say this highly unlikely...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

Hey all you naysayers with yer pessimistic predictions of 70/30 yes!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: I was rolling my eyes at the screen at the pessimism and thank god ye were wrong!

I'm delighted with this result and always delighted to see spirit. This time there wasn't even a recommendation to reject,which really disappointed me,and still members stood up and said No. That in itself is very, very heartening.

Where to from here? Hard to tell as it's always impossible to see our way through the maze of Government attacks, demands, Fempi threats and all that's muddied the paths since all this began a decade ago.

But I'm a lot more optimistic now that eventually we might get back the common basic scale and end this blatant discrimination.

But shame on TUI :mad::mad::mad:

kala85 wrote: »
    What do you mean by this?? That the asti and B into only should go on strike if they both go out together.

Yes, otherwise we will be left hung out to dry like the lockout

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ellsbells1

My main reason for voting no wasn’t about young teachers pay as very few young teachers in my staff room seem bothered about their pay. I am disheartened that the media and even people on here posting are only discussing young teachers as the possible reason why people voted no. I voted no as I do not think it is right that we will have to pay Prd forever, and I don’t agree with Croke Park not in its current format anyway. They are absolutely pointless time that we have to spend in school and the way they are done differs so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Well done ASTI :)

What is the next step? Union officials meet and discuss....either get asti members to ballot on strike action or reballot members on pay or maybe stop doing croke park hours?

If there is no strike action what was the point in voting no? There will be no 2 year CIDs, no 1% rises or whatever rate is applicable and no increments. Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Millem wrote: »
    Well done ASTI :)

What is the next step? Union officials meet and discuss....either get asti members to ballot on strike action or reballot members on pay or maybe stop doing croke park hours?

If there is no strike action what was the point in voting no? There will be no 2 year CIDs, no 1% rises or whatever rate is applicable and no increments. Or am I missing something?

Both the INTO and the ASTI will ballot for industrial action. At the moment both unions are tied into the deal as it has been accepted by ICTU. They only fall outside the remit of the deal if industrial action is taken.
    A vote in favour of industrial action is not a breach of the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

All this talk of shame on the TUI....If the INTO and ASTI go out on strike and win the day then it’s correct. But until that happens it’s an insulting statement.

I think we all know there’ll be no strikes as the ASTI were badly burned last time and the INTO are well, the INTO. And sitting waving a rejection of a pay deal is nothing the government are worried about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

First off... wait for 2 ballot decisions for strike for INTO and ASTI = after Christmas

So when would a strike take place?
    During mocks... CBAs....Practicals... lead up to state exams!!!

Ballot for strike... rejected = end of story
    Ballot for strike... accepted= kicked into talks

Advertisement