Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home Hub

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

New features on the way in the coming days/weeks, broadcast replies will be a welcome addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Frunchy wrote: »
    No, Google Home and Echo devices have never worked together. They're rival companies to start with.

I never said they did. I'm talking about Spotify connect. Using the Google Home Hub as a Spotify remote.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I never said they did. I'm talking about Spotify connect. Using the Google Home Hub as a Spotify remote.

Neither Chromecasts/Google Homes or Amazon Echo's are Spotify Connect devices. In both cases Spotify has to use Google/Chromecast and Amazons equivalent services to work on those devices.

Chromecast Audio, Alexa Cast, Apple Airplay and Spotfiy Connect are all competing audio streaming standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I think we're getting our wires crossed here, I'm not talking about casting to the dots. I was just asking if I could use the Hub as a Spotify remote, like on a phone/tablet/desktop app.

But since The high horse brigade said there are no apps,
    then it's a no at least for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Ended up cancelling littlewoods order as it was going nowhere( although i think its on way now anyway!!) and ordered from ao.com with addresspal on the 27th, got notified today that it's in the an post national hub, that was fast !! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

I think we're getting our wires crossed here, I'm not talking about casting to the dots. I was just asking if I could use the Hub as a Spotify remote, like on a phone/tablet/desktop app.

But since The high horse brigade said there are no apps,
    then it's a no at least for the moment.

Yes. On the Spotify mobile (android for sure/apple I think) or PC desktop app, you can choose the Googe Home Hub as a remote speaker.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The point is, when you use Spotify on iphone, etc. you aren't using it as a remote. You are using it as a client to use the Alexa cast protocol to send the music to the Dot. The Spotify App has support for a number of different audio streaming protocols (Chromecast, Alexa Cast, Airplay, Spotfiy Connect) built in and uses whichever one you specifically select as the end device.
    But since The high horse brigade said there are no apps, then it's a no at least for the moment.

Strictly speaking it does sort of support apps, but just that it isn't as open as Android and iOS and thus only apps designed specifically with Google and following their rules and there is no app store. So they haven't allowed it to stream to other companies protocols (Alexa Cast, Airplay, etc.).

The same is true for the Amazon Echo Show, it is android too, but also locked down, so the Spotify app there will only work with Alexa devices.

It is more about the rules these companies are applying, rather then what is technically possible.

I do get what you are saying and I don't like this closed garden ecosystem approach. But it is what it is. If you want to cast from the hub, you will need to get a Chromecast Audio or a bluetooth speaker to be the target device.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ive got a despatch notification!

After all the pffafing aorund with Google and cancelled orders etc I`m delighted there is actually one now on the way to me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

bk wrote: »
    The point is, when you use Spotify on iphone, etc. you aren't using it as a remote. You are using it as a client to use the Alexa cast protocol to send the music to the Dot. The Spotify App has support for a number of different audio streaming protocols (Chromecast, Alexa Cast, Airplay, Spotfiy Connect) built in and uses whichever one you specifically select as the end device.

Strictly speaking it does sort of support apps, but just that it isn't as open as Android and iOS and thus only apps designed specifically with Google and following their rules and there is no app store. So they haven't allowed it to stream to other companies protocols (Alexa Cast, Airplay, etc.).

The same is true for the Amazon Echo Show, it is android too, but also locked down, so the Spotify app there will only work with Alexa devices.

It is more about the rules these companies are applying, rather then what is technically possible.

I do get what you are saying and I don't like this closed garden ecosystem approach. But it is what it is. If you want to cast from the hub, you will need to get a Chromecast Audio or a bluetooth speaker to be the target device.
    So a more simple question - can i ask the hub as follows "Hey Google, play 'xyz artist' on Spotify" - just like i can do on my phone or tablet ? If not, (and this is probably a stupid question), but how do i actually play music on it, i.e. where does it steam from ? I dont have a google Music A/c, just spotify.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

You can set Spotify as your default music player, then don't need to specify for it to play on Spotify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

You can set Spotify as your default music player, then don't need to specify for it to play on Spotify.

I have found it sometimes gets Youtube (and Youtube Music) and Spotify confused in that instance

I have found it sometimes gets Youtube (and Youtube Music) and Spotify confused in that instance

Ok - so i suppose that i am just trying to understand WHERE the hub will play music from if i ask it to play xyz. Some of the chat above is about clients, and how the hub doesnt have them, its not android etc, so its just confusing me a little as to how it works. I assume that it is just like a normal google mini or home etc, though i haven't used one of those yet. I know in a neighbours house if i say to their Amazon thing "Alexa, play 70's music" - then it just plays it - but i understand that it is playing from their Amazon account. Or so they tell me....

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

mx5ire wrote: »
    Ok - so i suppose that i am just trying to understand WHERE the hub will play music from if i ask it to play xyz.

If you have Spotify selelcted as your default player, and ask google home/hub to play xyz, it will play it from Spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Got mine set up today. Really impressed with it, it's a perfect size and the screen is really nice. The sound is a little worse than the Home itself but will do the job for where it is located. All round, a nice addition to the voice control in the house.

Will broadcast replies only work with the Hub? Was hoping it would work between homes and minis like the intercom feature on Echo devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Will broadcast replies only work with the Hub? Was hoping it would work between homes and minis like the intercom feature on Echo devices.

I think it will work between any home, hub or phone through assistant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Mine came this morning and I'm delighted with it. This is only my 2nd Google home device (already have mini) and I came across a problem and there might be a solution but I can't find it. Cleaning house and had music playing over hub but couldn't get it to play out of mini at same time? Is there a solution so I can enjoy same music allover the house while I Potter around?

Mine came this morning and I'm delighted with it. This is only my 2nd Google home device (already have mini) and I came across a problem and there might be a solution but I can't find it. Cleaning house and had music playing over hub but couldn't get it to play out of mini at same time? Is there a solution so I can enjoy same music allover the house while I Potter around?

You need to make a speaker group on the Home app

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

You need to make a speaker group on the Home app

Mine arrived but put away til Christmas morning by my better half :pac:

probably a stupid question...

is there a way to have a standard Bluetooth speaker (eg ANKER) added to the speaker group, or is it only IOT devices?

Mine arrived but put away til Christmas morning by my better half :pac:

probably a stupid question...

is there a way to have a standard Bluetooth speaker (eg ANKER) added to the speaker group, or is it only IOT devices?

You can pair a google device with a bluetooth speaker, it will play all its music and radio through bluetooth. It will be out of sync and sound awful if you add it to a speaker group. You''ll need a chromecast audio for the bluetooth speaker so it will be in sync with the google speakers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Bizzarly saw a hub hidden in a cabinet at PC World Carrickmines, possibly sent here from the UK in error?

No price and just the one by the looks...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bizzarly saw a hub hidden in a cabinet at PC World Carrickmines, possibly sent here from the UK in error?

No price and just the one by the looks...

Why would it be bizarre... They are sold here.

listermint wrote: »

i was in that store yesterday and they looked at me like i was mad when i asked when they would have the google home hub....

Neither themselves nor Harvey N nor DID have any clue when they would have the hub in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

i was in that store yesterday and they looked at me like i was mad when i asked when they would have the google home hub....

Neither themselves nor Harvey N nor DID have any clue when they would have the hub in stock.

What does that have to do with the fact they are sold here.

I was just trying to make the point that none of the big bricks and mortar stores seem to have them, their staff staff dont know when they will have them, and certainly don't seem to be aware that they might have them hidden in a locker. And are they sold here 'officially' ? Google don't sell them on their (Irish) website, only Littlewoods seem to sell them? I could be wrong of course.

I was just trying to make the point that none of the big bricks and mortar stores seem to have them, their staff staff dont know when they will have them, and certainly don't seem to be aware that they might have them hidden in a locker. And are they sold here 'officially' ? Google don't sell them on their (Irish) website, only Littlewoods seem to sell them? I could be wrong of course.

Most of the staff in those shops don't have a clue about the products they're selling.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Oh didnt think they were in physical stores here yet - who else sells them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Where are they sold here? Not in any bricks and mortar shops that I’ve seen. Not on the google Irish site itself.

The only place is online with Littlewoods as far as I can see and they seem to be shipping them in from the UK to order, so I think the OPs original comment and photo are perfectly valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭ondafly

adox wrote: »
    Where are they sold here? Not in any bricks and mortar shops that I’ve seen. Not on the google Irish site itself.

The only place is online with Littlewoods as far as I can see and they seem to be shipping them in from the UK to order, so I think the OPs original comment and photo are perfectly valid.

Argos sell them

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

I don't see the Home Hub in Argos.

Advertisement