Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home Hub

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,515 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

simons104 wrote: »
    Do you have a link by any chance? Can't find it on the Google store, only has the Google hub max for me

https://store.google.com/gb/product/google_nest_hub

You will need to use Parcel Motel or equivalent to get it shipped from Google UK.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I would advise using Address Pal rather than Parcel motel for the Hub as it uses a London address rather than an NI one. Lots of people had their orders canceled around black Friday when using a PM address.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Can anyone who has a google home hub tell me if this device be used as a CCTV camera to check up on house when away? If so would be worth the price for that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭micks_address

The home hub max has a camera which is essentially a nest indoor camera and you can view via your phone on the nest app.. for a 5 day video history you need a subscription.. its about 60 euro a year. Also keep in mind you are uploading video to the cloud so make sure you have broadband that has decent monthly limits.. at least 200gb... my camera's upload about 90gb per month
    Can anyone who has a google home hub tell me if this device be used as a CCTV camera to check up on house when away? If so would be worth the price for that alone.

The home hub max has a camera which is essentially a nest indoor camera and you can view via your phone on the nest app.. for a 5 day video history you need a subscription.. its about 60 euro a year. Also keep in mind you are uploading video to the cloud so make sure you have broadband that has decent monthly limits.. at least 200gb... my camera's upload about 90gb per month

Just found Info for anyone else interested.
    Pity there is no option to turn off LED would be great to have option to use as covert cctv

Nest Cam Recording Behavior
    The LED light on your Nest Hub Max device tells you what the Nest Cam is doing. When the Nest Cam is enabled, a solid green LED will be displayed on your device. This means that your Hub Max is ready to stream images or video to help you monitor your home remotely from the Nest app. When you or a family member is watching the live view, the LED will blink green.

Note:

If you are a Nest Aware subscriber and have set up the built-in Nest Cam in the Nest app, your device will continuously record video for you to review in the Nest app.
    If you do not have Nest Aware but have set up the built-in Nest Cam in the Nest app, then your Hub Max will send the last three hours of activity snapshots for you to review in the Nest app whenever an event is detected in front of the camera.
    You can disable Nest Cam functionality anytime from either the Nest app or the Home app.

Solid Green

Solid green light

Nest Cam is turned on and is currently monitoring.

Blinking Green

Blinking green light

A member of your household is currently viewing Nest Cam’s stream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭micks_address

Bit of white electrical tape solve that problem
    Pity there is no option to turn off LED would be great to have option to use as covert cctv

The LED light on your Nest Hub Max device tells you what the Nest Cam is doing. When the Nest Cam is enabled, a solid green LED will be displayed on your device. This means that your Hub Max is ready to stream images or video to help you monitor your home remotely from the Nest app. When you or a family member is watching the live view, the LED will blink green.

Note:

If you are a Nest Aware subscriber and have set up the built-in Nest Cam in the Nest app, your device will continuously record video for you to review in the Nest app.
    If you do not have Nest Aware but have set up the built-in Nest Cam in the Nest app, then your Hub Max will send the last three hours of activity snapshots for you to review in the Nest app whenever an event is detected in front of the camera.
    You can disable Nest Cam functionality anytime from either the Nest app or the Home app.

Solid Green

Solid green light

Blinking Green

Blinking green light

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Note:

Solid Green

Solid green light

Blinking Green

Blinking green light

There is also an additional icon - like a camera - that pops up on the touchscreen when someone is currently viewing the Live Nest Cam stream and it does not go away.

I'd like to disable all these when keeping an eye on the shenanigans but alas cannot find an option to do so

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    There is also an additional icon - like a camera - that pops up on the touchscreen when someone is currently viewing the Live Nest Cam stream and it does not go away.

I'd like to disable all these when keeping an eye on the shenanigans but alas cannot find an option to do so

Me too That was my main interest in the device. Tis a shame , I wonder if this was purposely done to stop privacy issues arising? If so i doubt there will be an update to choose a "covert" mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It's not ideal as a camera, just a nice extra. Angle cannot be altered so 50% of the image is the ceiling! Plus no night vision on it.

I'm OK with the onscreen message because these devices are typically in a living space in the home.

I wonder home come Virgin Media Ireland are allowed to sell Google Home Hub devices here but normal retailers are not.

Even spotted one behind the counter today at Currys but it wasn't for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Wasn’t aware of VM selling them, seems a new arrangement. Have not seen any advertising anywhere.

Do the monthly charges include your broadband? If so not a bad price compared to buying the gear individually from an Irish bricks and mortar store.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/smart-home/

No, broadband is separate. Its on the pricey side when you add it up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I got a Max just before XMas and the screen novelty has worn off so I'm going to change to a Max as at this stage its the sound quality I'm after, anyone got a Max speaker that want to work out a swap? If so, just PM me

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement