Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home Hub

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭JDxtra

ondafly wrote: »
    Argos sell them

UK stores only.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Arbie

Dixons in Dublin Airport have them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

listermint wrote: »
    Why would it be bizarre... They are sold here.

It is very bizarre...

They're not sold here in the Republic of Ireland unless you're going through duty free or buying online.

So seeing a hub device behind bars in a store is very bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Bizzarly saw a hub hidden in a cabinet at PC World Carrickmines, possibly sent here from the UK in error?

No price and just the one by the looks...

Same in Naas a couple of weeks ago. They had a load of them in a locked cabinet. But not for sale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

Be interesting to see where all these people are buying Google Home Hubs in stores in Ireland.

It couldn't possibly be that they are talking through their holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

ondafly wrote: »
    Argos sell them

They don’t.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It isn't unusual for products that aren't officially on sale here in Ireland, but are in the UK, to slip through the cracks and end up on sale or on the shelves here.

It is due to a lot of these companies, Curry's, Argos, etc. being UK companies with Irish outlets. Their stock often comes from the same UK warehouses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

Why are Google so slow with introducing their products here, home of their European Headquarters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Frunchy wrote: »
    Why are Google so slow with introducing their products here, home of their European Headquarters?

I assume it has to do with Irish Gaeilge support and translations

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Frunchy wrote: »

So I went into PC World in Carrickmines today and asked a salesman to sell me a Google Hub from the “cage”. He scanned it and the price that cane up was €1,099 :eek: I showed him the online price in sterling so he went to his manager. Following a discussion the manger told me that they had lots of then in stock but they were not “licensed” to sell them yet. He had no idea when they would’ve or why they weren’t. He said that the correct price would come up when scanned when they were licensed to sell them. All very odd!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

My Hub just arrived in work from Littlewoods.:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

For anyone passing through Dublin airport, they were €159 today.

You can now buy them online at Currys.ie for that bargain price of €1,099. Eeek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Anyone with the Lenovo ever manage to get Duo calls working?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

Patww79 wrote:
    Anyone with the Lenovo ever manage to get Duo calls working?

Hiya, I tried it out shortly after setting up the lenovo and it worked perfectly. I've not tried it since then. I'm hoping that they integrate WhatsApp at some stage.

j_mo wrote: »
    Hiya, I tried it out shortly after setting up the lenovo and it worked perfectly. I've not tried it since then. I'm hoping that they integrate WhatsApp at some stage.

Mine says it's making the call and then instantly says "Hmm something went wrong, try again in a few seconds". Might try a factory reset, haven't had it long.

Turned out, after a couple of resets, the Mrs had never set up Duo when I gave her the Pixel 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

I have a mini and a hub set up and now after the family seeing them at least 3 people want a mini. Can't see them any cheaper that 60 at the minute. We're 33 on littlewoods early in week but back to full price now. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

I was at the till in PC world a few weeks ago and asked the cashier about a release date for the Google Home Hub.
    He directed me to the Google rep (or some such title) in the shop.

He said they aren't licensed to sell them yet. I remarked that it was a bit ridiculous that it was available in England but not here. He said it was to do with Google Home Hub not being able to recognise some Irish accents yet. He thought it might be available in January.

He said that Littlewoods weren't supposed to be selling it and would likely not be able to sell Google products next year.

How accurate all that information is, I don't know but that's what he told me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Chocolate wrote: »
    He said they aren't licensed to sell them yet.

Exactly what I was told. See post #311
    I remarked that it was a bit ridiculous that it was available in England

Interestingly they are not available in Spain either.
    thought it might be available in January.

They told me maybe next week :)
    I don’t think they have a clue.

• Advertisement

Chocolate wrote: »
    I was at the till in PC world a few weeks ago and asked the cashier about a release date for the Google Home Hub.
    He directed me to the Google rep (or some such title) in the shop.

He said they aren't licensed to sell them yet. I remarked that it was a bit ridiculous that it was available in England but not here. He said it was to do with Google Home Hub not being able to recognise some Irish accents yet. He thought it might be available in January.

He said that Littlewoods weren't supposed to be selling it and would likely not be able to sell Google products next year.

How accurate all that information is, I don't know but that's what he told me.
    So we speak in a different accent when talking to the hub compared to the mini? :)

Some tall stories there from that rep!

I have a mini and a hub set up and now after the family seeing them at least 3 people want a mini. Can't see them any cheaper that 60 at the minute. We're 33 on littlewoods early in week but back to full price now. Any ideas?

Dublin airport have them for €29 if you know anyone passing through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Dublin airport have them for €29 if you know anyone passing through.

Can you order those and pick one up when you land or do you have to be in departures?

Can you order those and pick one up when you land or do you have to be in departures?

You have to be in departures.

It's with Dixons not the loop so you'd have to be passing through departures and either take away on the spot or do click and collect.

JDxtra wrote: »
    So we speak in a different accent when talking to the hub compared to the mini? :)

Maybe.....:D

I drove up to PC World in Newry today and bought myself a Google Hub. I already have one Google home and two Google minis all working flawlessly. However my Google Hub (which is linked to the others) does not recognise "Play Newstalk Radio on Tunein" despite the fact the the other 3 have no issue with this command. Go figure! :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,331 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Should anyone search and end up on the threads on here from 18months+ ago - there is no way to exit Dublin departures without being noticed anymore as the 200 Gate crossing traffic situation has been removed entirely.

Used to be a nice way to get the airport price for cameras etc - buy a 3 quid Ryanair ticket somewhere then bail it out the arrivals corridor.

With effort involved nobody would be doing it for 4 quid difference anyway, but there can be hundreds on some very high end gear.

L1011 wrote: »
    Should anyone search and end up on the threads on here from 18months+ ago - there is no way to exit Dublin departures without being noticed anymore as the 200 Gate crossing traffic situation has been removed entirely.

Used to be a nice way to get the airport price for cameras etc - buy a 3 quid Ryanair ticket somewhere then bail it out the arrivals corridor.

With effort involved nobody would be doing it for 4 quid difference anyway, but there can be hundreds on some very high end gear.

Something I heard someone a few years ago do (doubt it still works) but if you wanted something from the Loop, you buy it online for click and collect and say your flight is the last of the day so the collection point is after you pass through arrivals (couldn't be Google stuff as that's Dixons not the loop).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Something I heard someone a few years ago do (doubt it still works) but if you wanted something from the Loop, you buy it online for click and collect and say your flight is the last of the day so the collection point is after you pass through arrivals (couldn't be Google stuff as that's Dixons not the loop).

The new Rte player app surprisingly works well with the lenovo hub. I was able to cast video to mine with no issues at all last night. The quality was great as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

griffdaddy wrote: »
    The new Rte player app surprisingly works well with the lenovo hub. I was able to cast video to mine with no issues at all last night. The quality was great as well

Where's the best place to buy the Lenovo?

Advertisement