Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not without me horses boss. Free housing rejected

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You do realise you are defending social housing coming with half an acre and stables, don't you ???
    Graces7 wrote: »
    Thanks!
    While we have you here, why not take a stab at answering PlaneSpeeking’s question?

Go on. I dare you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Oh zzzzzz. Those who won't hear a word said against travellers are middle-class folk from nice quiet areas without any problems.
    It's working-class people who have to put up with the problems on their doorstep caused by many travellers, who are among their biggest critics. And understandably so.

If a person is critical of the problems and entitlements, it doesn't mean they think every single traveller without exception is a scumbag.

Agreed(except the first part).
    My post was a tad tongue-in-cheek to highlight the ridiculousness of tarring an entire group of people with the same brush, which is been enabled by inactive mods. I’ve already gave my opinion on the specific topic of the thread, have a look it may surprise you.
    FWIW I’m very much working class.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

tringle wrote: »
    I'm quite local to this and know some of the individuals. Negotiations begun maybe 8 years ago and the horses and land where always part of the deal, much more so than the size of the houses or other facilities. The council.always knew this, I can't understand why they didn't follow through, I thought that had been agreed at the beginning.

The council should build stables for the travellers and put the horses in the houses.

Going from past experience these houses will be trashed.

Travellers dont want addresses or eircodes or anything that can identify them. They prefer to live in large groups where everyone is called Martin Mc Donagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭removed2

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Council didn’t promise anything. They’re trying to pull a fast one.
    true but if they don't provide stables pronto some hard-nosed journalist will investigate the 80 million dollar Wall

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My post was a tad tongue-in-cheek to highlight the ridiculousness of tarring an entire group of people with the same brush, which is been enabled by inactive mods. I’ve already gave my opinion on the specific topic of the thread, have a look it may surprise you.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I am loving how well they are playing the game on this one though, they need a 1/2 acre of land and stables built for their culture. Genius move to try play the social justice politics in that manner.

Might bite them on the arse though.

Council might be coming under fire for building a unique village for them at a time we have a housing shortage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Back on topic, I agree.

800 other people on the housing list for that council.

Do you think they are justified rejecting purpose-built free houses because there are no stables for their illegal animals?

giphy.gif

Are you going to take a pop at that one since you accuse others of posting shi**.
    Your posts tonight have a lot of words but are devoid of any meaningful content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: Right folks, closing this down for the night until we work through the posts. Mightn't get this back before tomorrow evening.

Buford T. Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭heretothere

This has really annoyed me over the last few months and it has now made it to the national press.

Travellers have been living on a bridge just outside of Thurles for decades. The council have built them lovely new houses, right across the road from their caravans and they are refusing to move in unless they are refusing to move in until the council build them horse stables and give them a few acres for the horses!!!!

Ah, how about going and renting/ buying the land yourself if you want to keep horses. Thurles hasn't really recovered from the recession yet and there are 100s of people that would be over the moon to be handed a brand new house.

I've been told I am discriminating against a minority and that I wouldn't get it. No I don't get how you can be offered a house for free and decline it!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/tipperary-council-will-not-be-providing-stables-or-paddocks-for-traveller-horses-1.3656310

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The anger about this in Thurles is off the charts. People have had enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

What will become of it all though?

On the face of it the demands are outlandish and cannot be accommodated.

The council will stick to their guns on this, but in the long game they might lose anyway ie the travellers refuse and nobody wants to live opposite the travellers who will feel hard done by about the whole stalemate.

Is this about a lack of clarity in national legislation or constitution being exploited.

Surely there is a limit to the concept of the right to be housed nailed down somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭heretothere

Thanks for the link, hadn't seen it. Just so annoyed about the situation!!!!! So are most people I know from around the area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement