Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Plus 6T Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,817 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

blade1 wrote: »
    I got the 5t when it came out and I smashed the screen after 10 days.
    It cost €120 to send it back and get it repaired.

That's not to bad. Was the Amoled panel damaged on yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

One of the lads broke a 5T shortly after buying it. Sent it back for repair and they sent him back a 6 as they'd no stock left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

adox wrote: »
    So I’ve had mine a couple of days and loving it overall. The fingerprint scanner is working fine for me, with practically 100% success. It’s amazing how quickly you get used to it.

Battery is great too. On my first day(albeit a large part in work) I only managed to get it down to 50%. I will say that the “dash charge” doesn’t seem as fast as it was on the 3T. I bought the car charger and have used it twice on my commute, approx 35-40 minute drive. This morning with the battery at 50%, it was at 90% when I got to work.
    On the way home, with the battery at 70%, it had reached 96% on the way home. No slouch but I just remember it being quicker with the 3T.

Another strange thing using the car charger. The screen keeps waking constantly to the black and white notification screen. I have the phone laid flat and charging beside me. Maybe it’s the lift to wake function that’s kicking in when moving. I’m not 100% sure.

Android Pay I have used once so far and I can’t believe how much faster it is than Apple Pay. I was hugely impressed. Also added my Tesco loyalty card to the phone so it’s a great convenience.

It’s the first phone I’ve owned with the options of gestures so I’ve enabled them instread of the virtual buttons option and I’m getting on fine with them. Very easy to get used to.

Having come from iOS and having such a tall phone, I like going for a minimalistic look on the home screen so have all my important apps grouped into four folders towards the bottom of the screen. The animated wallpapers have plenty of room then to be shown off and look beautiful but I also find it a very convenient way for me to use the phone.

It’s a lightning fast phone of course and looks very nice. Have it in the official carbon bumper case and it looks great.

Haven’t used the camera at all yet but know it’s one if it’s weaker points so don’t have huge expectations.

Still tweaking the phone and exploring the options and also getting used to finding my way around Android after so long with iOS, but I’m extremely happy with my purchase overall at this early stage.

Oh and I’ve turned off face unlock. It’s lightning fast of course but the phone just feels too vulnerable to me with it activated.

This has 3700 mah battery compared to 3400 mah on 3t so of course its going to take longer to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

blade1 wrote:
    And so it begins

Lol, interesting concept alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

MKBHD gave it a nod, pointed out the weaknesses we all know. Was surprised the pixel 3 or XL didn't get as much a mention.

How are people finding the battery indicator? Mine seems to be running down a lot before lunch 20-25%. Then stabilizes a lot before bed, lowest was 49% before plug in with two Sims and work email going all day. Seems to me the first quarter goes quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭deep1

adox wrote: »
    So I’ve had mine a couple of days and loving it overall. The fingerprint scanner is working fine for me, with practically 100% success. It’s amazing how quickly you get used to it.

Battery is great too. On my first day(albeit a large part in work) I only managed to get it down to 50%. I will say that the “dash charge” doesn’t seem as fast as it was on the 3T. I bought the car charger and have used it twice on my commute, approx 35-40 minute drive. This morning with the battery at 50%, it was at 90% when I got to work.
    On the way home, with the battery at 70%, it had reached 96% on the way home. No slouch but I just remember it being quicker with the 3T.

Another strange thing using the car charger. The screen keeps waking constantly to the black and white notification screen. I have the phone laid flat and charging beside me. Maybe it’s the lift to wake function that’s kicking in when moving. I’m not 100% sure.

Android Pay I have used once so far and I can’t believe how much faster it is than Apple Pay. I was hugely impressed. Also added my Tesco loyalty card to the phone so it’s a great convenience.

It’s the first phone I’ve owned with the options of gestures so I’ve enabled them instread of the virtual buttons option and I’m getting on fine with them. Very easy to get used to.

Having come from iOS and having such a tall phone, I like going for a minimalistic look on the home screen so have all my important apps grouped into four folders towards the bottom of the screen. The animated wallpapers have plenty of room then to be shown off and look beautiful but I also find it a very convenient way for me to use the phone.

It’s a lightning fast phone of course and looks very nice. Have it in the official carbon bumper case and it looks great.

Haven’t used the camera at all yet but know it’s one if it’s weaker points so don’t have huge expectations.

Still tweaking the phone and exploring the options and also getting used to finding my way around Android after so long with iOS, but I’m extremely happy with my purchase overall at this early stage.

Oh and I’ve turned off face unlock. It’s lightning fast of course but the phone just feels too vulnerable to me with it activated.

Great info, which iPhone you had before. I am not new to Android and have used s9 as latest flagship but always iPhone as primary. Currently iPhone X.
    One plus 6t seems great phone and oxygen os much better than any android skin out there.Did you manage to transfer the message over to iPhone, I know OnePlus Switch app is hit and miss and other option are out there but just wondering the first hand experience.
    Also as you know coming from iCloud backup, what you use to backup oneplus? I believe OnePlus Switch app can be use to take offline backup but people had issue restoring from them backup.
    If anyone has any insight on this would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

deep1 wrote: »
    Great info, which iPhone you had before. I am not new to Android and have used s9 as latest flagship but always iPhone as primary. Currently iPhone X.
    One plus 6t seems great phone and oxygen os much better than any android skin out there.Did you manage to transfer the message over to iPhone, I know OnePlus Switch app is hit and miss and other option are out there but just wondering the first hand experience.
    Also as you know coming from iCloud backup, what you use to backup oneplus? I believe OnePlus Switch app can be use to take offline backup but people had issue restoring from them backup.
    If anyone has any insight on this would be great.

I had an iPhone 6s. I used Google Drive for back up which was very simple

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Place near me in Barcelona selling the 8/256 one for €589 so picked it this evening. Upgrading from the 3 so absolutely loving it so far. Haven't noticed the fingerprint scanner being particularly slow to tell the truth, but that's probably just down to having the one on the 3 as the reference. Either way, I don't feel hard by. Getting used to navigation gestures going to be difficult but.

I'll miss my beloved notification light, but it really is a barn burner of a phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

My phone died yesterday and I am looking at grabbing one of these on amazon today. Just before I pull the trigger, how are you guys finding the camera? Like I'm not expecting it to be as good as a Pixel/Samsung S9 or anything but is it still good for the 589e or so you paid for the phone?

I actually posted before looking for a recommendation for a christmas present and ended up getting the OP6 as a gift for someone else. Currently under the christmas tree and I'm sitting here without a phone....

Thanks.

ciara1052 wrote:
    My phone died yesterday and I am looking at grabbing one of these on amazon today. Just before I pull the trigger, how are you guys finding the camera? Like I'm not expecting it to be as good as a Pixel/Samsung S9 or anything but is it still good for the 589e or so you paid for the phone?

Why buy from Amazon, directly from OnePlus is faster. Took 2 days for me

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Narcissus

ciara1052 wrote: »

I actually posted before looking for a recommendation for a christmas present and ended up getting the OP6 as a gift for someone else. Currently under the christmas tree and I'm sitting here without a phone....

Thanks.

If those are your expectations then you'd be happy, the camera is very good on it. There are many things on the phone that make it a fantastic choice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Narcissus

I recently switched to Android after using Apple for the last decade or so. I got the One Plus 6T last week and loving it so far. I read lots of comments here and watched many reviews before buying it.

Some initial thoughts on it:
    Oxygen OS is really fantastic, some things I love about it mentioned in this video

It is super snappy, you can turn off animations and it's almost too quick so I left them on :)

Battery is great, I'd be a light to moderate user and get about 2-3 days out of it.
    And the fast charging too :)
    Haven't used the camera too much but so far it's good.

The finger print scanner works well but not 100% i'd say, I started to use the face recognition also and that is super.

Not to mention the price is half of the iPhone XS (base model which only gives you 64gb :rolleyes:)

all in all very happy with it :)

This would be the first time I've got myself a phone over 500e, there's no way I could justify getting any of the newer iphones (that and I just prefer android devices in general). It seems like great value for the specs. Cheers :)

This would be the first time I've got myself a phone over 500e, there's no way I could justify getting any of the newer iphones (that and I just prefer android devices in general). It seems like great value for the specs. Cheers :)

If you don't want to spend €500 on a phone you could consider the Xiaomi Redmi note 6 Pro. It's £180 on Amazon at the minute.

TitianGerm wrote:
    If you don't want to spend €500 on a phone you could consider the Xiaomi Redmi note 6 Pro. It's £180 on Amazon at the minute.

Or if you want the flagship processor, the pocophone is 300e

TitianGerm wrote: »
    tedpan wrote: »
    Or if you want the flagship processor, the pocophone is 300e

I actually looked into both of those and as far as I'm aware there's no NFC on either of those phones? It's one of the features I really like (just so handy for topping up the leap card or whatever).

The pocophone in particular looks amazing though that aside.

ciara1052 wrote:
    I actually looked into both of those and as far as I'm aware there's no NFC on either of those phones? It's one of the features I really like (just so handy for topping up the leap card or whatever).

True, I didn't realise your requirements. :)

Just get the 6t, it's awesome!

True, I didn't realise your requirements. :)

Just get the 6t, it's awesome!

I just went onto the one plus website there to order and they 8GB ram/128gb is out of stock :( If I'm ordering from amazon, should I go for the international version/european version or UK version? I presume EU/UK are grand?

Thanks for all the input again

• Advertisement

I just went onto the one plus website there to order and they 8GB ram/128gb is out of stock :( If I'm ordering from amazon, should I go for the international version/european version or UK version? I presume EU/UK are grand?

Thanks for all the input again

Do you have Amazon vouchers to use or something? If not just order from the One Plus sight.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Do you have Amazon vouchers to use or something? If not just order from the One Plus sight.

They're coming up as out of stock for me on the site. Can't add to the cart (for the 8/128GB version)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

They're coming up as out of stock for me on the site. Can't add to the cart (for the 8/128GB version)

It's available in the midnight black version... which is nicer imo!

ciara1052 wrote:

Pacifico wrote:
    It's available in the midnight black version... which is nicer imo!

Make sure to use a referral link, you'll get 20euro to spend on accessories. I think if you subscribe to the newsletter they give you free express delivery.

Ordered, thanks again for the advice :cool:

...this better last me at least 2 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭deep1

Finally got the phone, coming from iphoneX . Managed to move all my data, including sms and WhatsApp.
    First impression much better Android experience than any other devices I have tried. Samsung need to learn from oxygen os.
    So far no hiccups all working great. Message app is tad bit slow but could be due to indexing and all.
    Looking forward to play more and discover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

deep1 wrote: »
    Finally got the phone, coming from iphoneX . Managed to move all my data, including sms and WhatsApp.
    First impression much better Android experience than any other devices I have tried. Samsung need to learn from oxygen os.
    So far no hiccups all working great. Message app is tad bit slow but could be due to indexing and all.
    Looking forward to play more and discover.

How did you move WhatsApp messages over??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Ordered, thanks again for the advice :cool:

...this better last me at least 2 years :D

I'm a very heavy phone user and my OP3T is still flawless

IrishHomer wrote:
    I'm a very heavy phone user and my OP3T is still flawless

It's strange, my mate has the 3 and says it still runs great too. I have an LG V20 with the same processor as the OP3 and it's so slow..

Can't wait to open my new phone in the morning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

It's strange, my mate has the 3 and says it still runs great too. I have an LG V20 with the same processor as the OP3 and it's so slow..

Can't wait to open my new phone in the morning :)

Well???
    Have you opened it yet? :pac:

Advertisement