Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Callum - Thursday/Friday 11/12 October 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Considering the clean-up after Ali hasn't been done (every morning, I cycle past 4 small trees collapsed into the Tolka in Griffith Park), I would think we'll see a lot of weakened trees and branches finished off...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

aisling86 wrote: »
    Two orange warnings, are they anticipating the west coast counties going red?

Looks like a duplicate entry on the old site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

dmc17 wrote: »
    Looks like a duplicate entry on the old site

It's on the new site as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭eigrod

GoneHome wrote: »
    It's on the new site as well

One is until 9am, the other until 12 noon - I guess that's why there's 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

GFS mean.

gens-21-1-48_trz4.png

Ha , when I said dodge a bullit I was talking about the strongest winds staying offshore. It will still get windy but not might have been if it stays on this course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

The gusts are still looking mighty strong at 9am pretty much everywhere on ARPEGE, they might extend the orange warming on the east coast later, probably don't want to call it too early otherwise people won't go to work. Going to be a fun rush hour...

arpegeuk-11-50-0.png?10-13

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Is this Forecaster's Commentary on ME website new?

https://www.met.ie/forecasters-commentary

Some frames from their HARMONIE:

StormCallumWinds00.png

StormCallumWinds.png

StormCallumWinds12.png

If Harmonie is correct, which I suspect it will be. We have escaped Red level alert

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The wind gusts being progged by pretty much all models for the south -southeasterly associated with the frontal passage are some of the strongest I've seen for such a setup.

nmmuk-11-52-0.png?10-07

Will be interested to see if the numbers materialise.

The passage of the frontal triple point across the country Friday AM could be a focus for some very damaging wind gusts and squalls.

BRAEU_48.gif

The not very reliable Navgem shows twins.

navgem-0-42_sls2.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Red Alert! The lady on the 1pm News weather report was wearing a striking red dress. No idea what she said in the forecast!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

Any updated rain forecast charts

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah well... when you say offshore? matters not as we will wait and see. with the stalwarts of boards ie and met.ie

I know it is an Orange warning and not red, but given that the warning will still be in place during rush hour traffic would it be best to delay going into work if possible or would that be seen as dramatic 😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

I know it is an Orange warning and not red, but given that the warning will still be in place during rush hour traffic would it be best to delay going into work if possible or would that be seen as dramatic 😂.

I think as adults were all capable of making that decision ourselves as all our locations, circumstances, driving skills differ. Only you can decide what is best for you.

I will wait & see what happens during the night & make a decision on kids school then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Windguru update showing considerable decrease in wind gusts compared to earlier. 150kph down to 90kph (Westport).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

For many areas Ali hadn't made its full presence felt in the early morning. So what seemed like an ok morning turned when it came to home time for kids. This is where a lot of the complaints happened from some quarters.

People should have a chance to look out their windows this time around and assess it themselves for going to work/school.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 martyfurey

Could we all just focus on weather and stop filling up the thread with a non related argument on opinions. Let's keep it to the facts and weather related

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

martyfurey wrote: »
    Could we all just focus on weather and stop filling up the thread with a non related argument on opinions. Let's keep it to the facts and weather related

Yes please!

For anybody who wants to debate weather warnings in general - - - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057918791

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Nothing personal regarding deleted posts....just need to try and keep the thread from derailing before the storm has even formed!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

km79 wrote: »
    Any updated rain forecast charts

Heaviest of the rain (past 30mm) staying out to the west of the UK where there could be 24-hour totals reaching 60-90mm up to Saturday evening. For Ireland, the most will be 30mm in the southeast which is still a lot of course. Out west, it's not looking that heavy with a lot of patchy or light rain. See what the ECM 12z has to say this evening on the matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Wind today in Cork are very strong but dry. Forecasts don't seem to have given this much attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pmct

Does anybody think this could be upgraded to a red warning

pmct wrote: »

New forecast charts are currently running at the minute, should have updated info in the next 30 minutes from a lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

pmct wrote: »

Not likely I think ME will stick with the orange , depending on the next set of models will determine your answer though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

A very tiny bit further west on the new GFS run

gfs-0-36.png?12

Edit: old run for comparison

gfs-0-42.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The strong winds for Ireland are associated with the passing frontal feature

The core of strong graidients winds look well west of Ireland

You simply can't go red with a feature like this or we'd have a red alert 3-4 times a winter

ICON 12Z has shifted a little west compared to the 6Z too.

The strong winds for Ireland are associated with the passing frontal feature

The core of strong graidients winds look well west of Ireland

You simply can't go red with a feature like this or we'd have a red alert 3-4 times a winter

Those core winds are still impacting on the west coast, even with the core itself being far west:

45-289UK_pdb6.GIF

• Advertisement

Yeah looks like major storm for the fish and some strong winds and rain for us as the front passes. Nothing too unusual now.

Advertisement