Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Callum - Thursday/Friday 11/12 October 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭pad199207

irishgeo wrote: »
    Any Midlands people spot seagulls. A sure sign of a bad storm when the seagulls move inland.

I seen a large flock of them over Naas this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NCS

Any Midlands people spot seagulls. A sure sign of a bad storm when the seagulls move inland.

I've observed this myself in D15 - one or more seagulls usually 36-48hrs before a storm/wind event and very rarely at any other time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Close call , the strongest winds staying off the W coast, just.

xWmhyY4.gif

tempresult_kjh9.gif

SVfH9pL.png

6HJjEY9.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The ECM 12Z looks like it has eased off a bit pushing the main winds more off the coast. Hard to make out as it just shows 3 hourly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Looking at ARP for waterford area from at 3am Irish time to till about 7am winds gusts will be up in the 100's. gusts of 113kps at 5am

VL82Lmc.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Just checked met eireann website and from clare up to Donegal is dropped from wind warnings.....maybe updating or is my phone playing up.

ARPEGE 12Z Max Wind speeds

arpegeuk-52-50-0_pin1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

eastmayo wrote: »
    Just checked met eireann website and from clare up to Donegal is dropped from wind warnings.....maybe updating or is my phone playing up.

Just seen that. I'm sure it's an update/mistake. Should be sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Artane2002

eastmayo wrote: »

Safe to assume it's being updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭superdog

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭aidanodr

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1050089860718108674

Looks like most of coastal areas around country gone ORANGE

• Registered Users Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Just seen that. I'm sure it's an update/mistake. Should be sorted soon.

They have to take down the warning before they update it (silly system tbh)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Thankfully most of us will be asleep when 100kph gusts hit over large parts of the country. Thankfully severe winds still mostly showing off shore.

nmmuk-11-39-0_mzp7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

Limerick left off the Orange again, I know its not coastal but I can tell you when Cork, Kerry and Clare get extreme weather Limerick gets it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Update:

Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Sligo and Clare
    Storm Callum: Southeast winds veering southwest will gust generally between 100 and 130km/h, higher in some coastal areas and on high ground. Along with a spell of heavy rain and high tides there is a risk of coastal flooding and damage.

Issued: Wednesday 10 October 2018 20:00

Updated: Wednesday 10 October 2018 20:00

Valid from Friday 12 October 2018 00:01 to Friday 12 October 2018 13:00

I'm going to guess there's going to be people here asking why Limerick isn't in the orange once the event happens :p

Edit: I swear I didn't see the post above lol

High Seas

nww3uk-0-42_ftr1.png

nww3uk-0-48_lxd6.png

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Update:

Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Sligo and Clare
    Storm Callum: Southeast winds veering southwest will gust generally between 100 and 130km/h, higher in some coastal areas and on high ground. Along with a spell of heavy rain and high tides there is a risk of coastal flooding and damage.

Issued: Wednesday 10 October 2018 20:00

Updated: Wednesday 10 October 2018 20:00

Valid from Friday 12 October 2018 00:01 to Friday 12 October 2018 13:00

I'm going to guess there's going to be people here asking why Limerick isn't in the orange once the event happens :p

Edit: I swear I didn't see the post above lol

Looking at ARP limerick is going to be gusting near 100 and above from about 1am to 11am

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

xii wrote: »
    Limerick left off the Orange again, I know its not coastal but I can tell you when Cork, Kerry and Clare get extreme weather Limerick gets it too.

Not to derail the thread but it's the same with Leitrim. We have coast (yes it's very short) we separate Sligo and Donegal which are both orange. Strange system.

The move out to the west seems the be fairly agreed upon now. Will this bring heavier rain in the east of the country?

Apparently it is very very windy in Cork City centre now. Anyone can vouch for this?

If so is this pre Callum or something else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

aidanodr wrote: »
    Apparently it is very very windy in Cork City centre now. Anyone can vouch for this?

Here in Bishopstown atm and it is pretty windy alright. Been getting stronger throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

Florida in the middle of a hurricane, is that callum?

The Jet helping Storm Callum to Bomb.

tempresult_net0.gif

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

xii wrote: »
    Florida in the middle of a hurricane, is that callum?

No....Michael will be here Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭thomil

aidanodr wrote: »

I can confirm it. Blowing surprisingly hard from southerly directions, and we had a bit of lightning about an hour ago.

It's unrelated to Callum though. There's currently a second low pressure area off the west coast. Callum will apparently "slingshot" around this low pressure area before it hits tomorrow evening. Sorry for the amateurish description.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

DOCARCH wrote: »
    No....Michael will be here Monday.

The remnants.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Fairly windy in Limerick now as well

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Here in Bishopstown atm and it is pretty windy alright. Been getting stronger throughout the day.

I'm in Bishopstown as well and I agree it has been very windy all day. I seem to remember Yellow Warnings recently for less severe winds than this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

HighLine wrote: »
    The remnants.

But....it says....'Hurricane Michael to smash into BRITAIN on MONDAY' :confused:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1029635/UK-weather-forecast-Hurricane-Michael-Britain-latest-path-weather-warning-storm-map

*...sticks tongue firmly in cheek...*

Yes....only remnants of Michael will be here on Monday. :)

• Advertisement

Due to get blustery tonight and then calm tomorrow
    55CF8DG.png

Advertisement