Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Callum - Thursday/Friday 11/12 October 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Am I within my rights to refuse to come to work tomorrow and still be paid ?

No

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Winding up now....https://en.sat24.com/en

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ICON runs. Small differences, small upgrade. Small eastward shift again. I missed the earlier graphs but this is max speed over the course of the run (4pm today- 5pm tomorrow). Most of those strong winds hit between 4-7am with a kick again in the NW around lunchtime.

Previous Run:
    463557.png

Current Run:
    463556.png

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Just looking back at Storm Ali highest recorded gusts and nearly all were between 90kph to 110kph.
    The trees in full leaf played a big part in downing them.

I still see lots of trees with plenty of leaves so perhaps a similar event is on the cards.

It's winding up well now.

463558.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

That second attack looking more likely on the south east and East.

nmm_uk1-11-30-0_kse5.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭bb12

Faustino wrote: »
    I think this probably has more to do with Ali catching people off guard.

It seemed the worst of it was on the school runs and it was certainly dangerous enough to heed an orange warning bordering on red in parts.

Tonight could be just as bad in parts and trees already weakened by Ali could be dangerous coming into tomorrow.

One of my youngish but large (40 years old) ash trees in my front boundary crashed down and blocked the road at 9:15 am that morning of Ali. One my cctv cameras was attached to it and my neighbour who had just dropped her kids to school and was on the way home drove under the tree exactly 60 seconds before it fell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Great map above Mount Vesuvius.

Dry and bright in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Looking out towards Clare Island on what is a very nice afternoon,before Callum arrives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

bb12 wrote: »
    Faustino wrote: »
    I think this probably has more to do with Ali catching people off guard.

It seemed the worst of it was on the school runs and it was certainly dangerous enough to heed an orange warning bordering on red in parts.

Tonight could be just as bad in parts and trees already weakened by Ali could be dangerous coming into tomorrow.

One of my youngish but large (40 years old) ash trees in my front boundary crashed down and blocked the road at 9:15 am that morning of Ali. One my cctv cameras was attached to it and my neighbour who had just dropped her kids to school and was on the way home drove under the tree exactly 60 seconds before it fell.

Ash is notorious for being weak rooted and falling or losing branches. Most of the Ash trees here in Galway have lost their leaves now which makes a big difference. I don't expect many trees to fall tonight in comparison to Ali which was utter mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

bb12 wrote: »

Get rid of the ash trees beside it, their root system will have been weakened further by the fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

Query out there for the technical wizards
    I work in Newry (and living further North, along the East Coast), and the UK Met office has a yellow warning from 3am right through to midnight
    Now Met Eireann, for Louth, has currently an amber warning from midnight to 9am

Now is the difference due to different warning systems or is the Down Coast weather not actually expected to be as bad as Louth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

trixi001 wrote: »
    I work in Newry (and living further North, along the East Coast), and the UK Met office has a yellow warning from 3am right through to midnight

Now is the difference due to different warning systems or is the Down Coast weather not actually expected to be as bad as Louth?

There's a difference in the warning systems, I think Barra Best did a short video about it on instagram recently.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Ash is notorious for being weak rooted and falling or losing branches. Most of the Ash trees here in Galway have lost their leaves now which makes a big difference. I don't expect many trees to fall tonight in comparison to Ali which was utter mayhem.

Typically Sycamore, making fun of a lesser tree!

(I have a giant Sycamore and Beech in my garden, so I know your type...)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

trixi001 wrote: »

Now is the difference due to different warning systems or is the Down Coast weather not actually expected to be as bad as Louth?

Met Eireann are pretty clear about their warning level criteria, they publish them on their website:
    https://www.met.ie/weather-warnings

Met Office on the other hand are pretty opaque, they describe it as based on 'impact', but don't really explain their decision making too much.

Parts of Down on south facing coasts (especially exposed areas) are probably in line for worse conditions than Louth, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Wow

A113_D00_D_959_D_45_C4_BDB1_5_B4055_C264_AF.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Beautiful blue skies in Galway now. Had a lovely walk.

Calm before the storm.

Give us your best shot Ali Callum!

Met Eireann have updated their Forecaster's Commentary (emphasis mine):
    Met Éireann has named Storm Callum. Severe Orange and Yellow Wind Warnings apply for Thursday night and Friday. Note, the Severe Orange Warning has just recently been extended in time out to 18:00 on Friday for coastal areas of Donegal, Sligo, Mayo, Galway and Clare. Further warnings were being considered later Friday across parts of the south and east, with the risk for another swathe winds and rain. However the severity and likelihood of these secondary event appears to have diminished considerably.

This event is predominantly expected to be a coastal one, though the severe winds will extend to inland parts, especially overnight and very early on Friday morning.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Have moved some 'chatty' posts (including my own!) to chat thread. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057919045

From now on, will be moving posts (as I or other Mods deem appropriate).

Edit: Also moving....'will my flight come or go' queries, and/or 'is it safe to travel' queries, to same thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Barra Best (BBC NI Weatherman) has put up a very good video on Facebook explaining the differences between systems on both sides of the border - sorry mods if posting a link is against the rules and you can remove if you wish - a link to the video on Facebook is below
    https://www.facebook.com/BarraBestPresenter/videos/512091619202764/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1634 Met forecast update

Becoming very windy and, in places, stormy tonight as frontal rain-bands associated with Storm Callum extend northwards across Ireland. Winds will back south or south easterly in direction and strengthen with severe and potentially damaging wind gusts likely, more especially in coastal regions. The rain will turn heavy and squally at times with an isolated thunderstorm possible. Clear spells and scattered showers will follow as the rain-band clears the north coast around dawn on Friday. Minimum temperatures of 8 to 11 degrees. Please see our warnings page for further details on current weather warnings that are in operation.

Tomorrow

Friday morning will start very windy and in places stormy with bright spells and a few scattered showers. The strong south or southwest winds will moderate across the bulk of the country by the afternoon but will remain very strong in coastal areas of the west and north with further severe gusts possible here. Outbreaks of rain will develop across the south and east during the late morning and persist into the afternoon with scattered showers elsewhere. Highest temperatures will range 14 to 17 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Looks Callum is already taking his turn to the north

As a generic bit of technical information in response to flight questions:
    1. Effects on flights won't be known until at best 24 hours in advance, and more likely you won't get a solid answer until within the 12 hour range.
    2. You can check it yourself - the TAF is essentially an airport forecast that best represents the info that airlines will use in determining possible cancellations. A site like this:

https://www.checkwx.com/weather/EIKY/taf

Let's you easily see the TAF for any given airport for the next 24 hours or so (they usually extend out to 30 hours). Here's another one for Dublin Airport:

https://www.checkwx.com/weather/EIDW/taf

I always forget what the wind restrictions are for runway operations, someone like JXC might be able to better answer that - I believe it's 50 knots, so if you look at the Dublin TAF, you might expect some disruption between 1am and 6am when there are 55 knot gusts forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

MJohnston wrote: »
    Met Eireann have updated their Forecaster's Commentary (emphasis mine):

You'd swear that was wrote just for us lot.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Looks Callum is already taking his turn to the north

Looks like it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looks like it alright.

Is this earlier that expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Beautiful day in cork city. Sunny skies with some clouds and not very windy. Warm too. Calm before the storm it seems!

Just got a text from Cork City Council saying this

Roads & parking areas along low-lying quays in Cork city centre may suffer localised spot flooding at high tide this evening (19.56) and tomorrow morning (08.15). Traffic restrictions will be in place from approx' 17.00hrs today, Thursday, through to 10.00hrs, Friday. The restrictions will apply to Morrison’s Island, Union Quay, Wandesford Quay, Frenches Quay and Crosses Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Will be interesting night in Munster and Connacht..

ukgust.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Advertisement

aisling86 wrote: »
    Is this earlier that expected?

Really not sure. It was always going to turn north, but I am not sure about timing.

Advertisement