Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Callum - Thursday/Friday 11/12 October 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Lots of road closure from this afternoon in galway city due to flood risk.

https://www.facebook.com/148746965181554/posts/1973581919364707/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Quick scan of the current charts would suggest to me that they are displaying wind speeds up again from the previous two runs. Can see a large swathe of gusts 110 to 115 sweeping up over Munster in the early hours. Also showing gusts 120km/ h + over kerry and possibly Cork. The SE has been increasing in speeds also showing 120+ on the coast, 110 + inland.

I think S kerry / Dingle Peninsula could see around 130Km/ h . The coastal W up again , 130 km/ h maybe more. I think the models have brought the core winds closer to the W coast . Fri Afternoon split in models re strong winds in the S, SE E , will need to monitor.

Next model runs will be key.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

harr wrote: »
    I am in kildare and just got a text from child’s school saying that it is unlikely the school will open tomorrow and that they will make that decision this evening.
    We are only in an orange area , going by what people are saying here and the charts it definitely doesn’t look like school closers are needed just yet.
    The media are definitely ramping this up as someone else said if it doesn’t materialise you are at the risk of people not taking future warnings seriously.

Principal looking forward to a long weekend. It'd be open if if was a Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Quick scan of the current charts would suggest to me that they are displaying wind speeds up again from the previous two runs. Can see a large swathe of gusts 110 to 115 sweeping up over Munster in the early hours. Also showing gusts 120km/ h + over kerry and possibly Cork. The SE has been increasing in speeds also showing 120+ on the coast, 110 + inland.

I think S kerry / Dingle Peninsula could see around 130Km/ h . The coastal W up again , 130 km/ h maybe more. I think the models have brought the core winds closer to the W coast . Fri Afternoon split in models re strong winds in the S, SE E , will need to monitor.

Next model runs will be key.

When will the next model runs be?
    I am trying to plan work. Although inside, they have to drive in high top vans to get to Dublin port during the peak of the storm.
    May need to call it off but want to make sure I have all the information to hand. They can't start later either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note Take heed to Mod Team instruction on Opening Post. Dont spoil the thread for others , stay on topic. Non compliance will incur appropiate mod action .
    Dont spoil it for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Just noticed that on weather Sat. Callum emerging from the west

https://en.sat24.com/en/eu/visual

W7mWUc3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

I don't see anything out of the ordinary on the GFS.
    Where are the 100kph gusts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭pauldry

Not on charts as such but I think remote Coasts of West will be over 120kph

Dont think it will be as high the rest except Northwest will be 110 to 120kph.

Around 100kph elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Galway City Council telling everyone to be home at 10pm tonight, talk about hype bars and night clubs won't be happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

So i am in Newcastle west tomorrow. Right now as its limerick its only a yellow warning. However its not far from the kerry border. Now im not looking for an excuse to get time off work. But i am wondering how bad could it actually get in this area or am i safe. Gonna be on the road between 7-9 in the morning. Just wanna know if i need to give myself more time or if i should be preparing for an orange or god forbid red warning. I doubt it given the chatter but i wouldnt have a clue with weather charts and technical talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Mr.H wrote: »
    So i am in Newcastle west tomorrow. Right now as its limerick its only a yellow warning. However its not far from the kerry border. Now im not looking for an excuse to get time off work. But i am wondering how bad could it actually get in this area or am i safe. Gonna be on the road between 7-9 in the morning. Just wanna know if i need to give myself more time or if i should be preparing for an orange or god forbid red warning. I doubt it given the chatter but i wouldnt have a clue with weather charts and technical talk.
    I think you'll be told what everyone else is being told..... use your own initative here.......Always give yourself enough time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'm still concerned about this secondary feature that's showing up very clearly on some models, and completely absent on others:

3GeB8Fs.jpg

EIJp7Zs.jpg

ZVSOQE5.jpg

xFvJwkS.png

nmmuk-11-30-0_dmu2.png

Mad how little agreement there is on this less than 24 hours out!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The SE looking in line for a fair slap from that secondary system. People could be caught out by that while all the focus is on Callum.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

harr wrote: »
    I am in kildare and just got a text from child’s school saying that it is unlikely the school will open tomorrow and that they will make that decision this evening.
    We are only in an orange area , going by what people are saying here and the charts it definitely doesn’t look like school closers are needed just yet.
    The media are definitely ramping this up as someone else said if it doesn’t materialise you are at the risk of people not taking future warnings seriously.

I think this probably has more to do with Ali catching people off guard.

It seemed the worst of it was on the school runs and it was certainly dangerous enough to heed an orange warning bordering on red in parts.

Tonight could be just as bad in parts and trees already weakened by Ali could be dangerous coming into tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Galway City Council telling everyone to be home at 10pm tonight, talk about hype bars and night clubs won't be happy

They have the big inflatable snake thing up at Spanish arch for the surge and are closing the car parks in salthill

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Am I within my rights to refuse to come to work tomorrow and still be paid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

**Will this be worse than storm Ali ?? that we had a few weeks back

fryup wrote: »

Define "worse"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Depends on what kind of work you do.
    If you refuse to go and it’s business as usual they could dock your wages or make you use annual leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

I'd say 50/50 on red warning for West/North West Coast. Have a feeling it will track east further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

fryup wrote: »

Not really an answerable question. For instance, where? Ali was awful on the west coast but grand more South and East and the opposite for Ophelia. Which was worse, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Depends on what kind of work you do.
    If you refuse to go and it’s business as usual they could dock your wages or make you use annual leave.

TBH given recent storms businesses should be deciding on their own protocol so everyone knows the score

Where I work, if you make the call that it is unsafe to travel you can take a days annual leave or work back hours in agreement with work. You wont be penalized for making that decision

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭coillsaille

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'm still concerned about this secondary feature that's showing up very clearly on some models

Mad how little agreement there is on this less than 24 hours out!

Met Eir seem to be watching it:

" Elsewhere the winds will abate quite quickly but there is the risk of further Southerly gales returning to the Southeast in the afternoon. "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Dont go to work,tell your employers that a stranger on the internet said was ok and you should still get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looking at the sat24 loop, is it my eyes or is this taking a more westerly track than forecast?, center seems to be moving NNE currently.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

I've to catch a flight tomorrow around 11am from Dublin Airport

Hopefully the worst has passed by then

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Supercell wrote: »
    Looking at the sat24 loop, is it my eyes or is this taking a more westerly track than forecast?, center seems to be moving NNE currently.

Hard to say at first look at Sat I actually thought it was further East compared to GFS and UKMO Fax Chart but it is hard to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

mark_jmc wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I'm flying home through heathrow tonight- on the 10.15pm flight to Cork.
    Is it pretty much a given that this flight will be cancelled?

It's not a given Mark, but that's a hairy flight in an Orange warning.

I was doing regular 1 and 2 day trips to the UK via Heathrow in early 2014 and got caught out during that winter of many wind storms.

The problem is that, in my experience, Aer Lingus will make an operational call to cancel the flight out from Cork at 20:15 - if there's any risk that their plane might have to overnight at Heathrow. They'd rather have it on the ground in Cork for the morning flight out than have it in another airport and the knock on schedule effect.

Interestingly, the 14:30 today has been cancelled, which suggests there's already operational shenanigans afoot. If they can comfortably accommodate tomorrow morning, or on a flight to Dublin, they will.

On the plus side, you'll know by about 6pm I'd say, because they'll stand down an entire shift at Cork airport. Infuriatingly, you may end up on a bus from DUB to ORK while Ryanair is still landing at Cork.

Play it by ear, but have a backup plan.

Supercell wrote: »

Bear in mind that the Sat24 image is offset from true north, and probably a bit distorted in order to compose a globe photo into a flat image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Actually, no. This was well covered after Ophelia. As far as I recall if your employer closes the business without adequate notice, you're entitled to be paid.

Advertisement