Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Callum - Thursday/Friday 11/12 October 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

HighLine wrote: »
    Was surprised by MT's forecast this morning. Friday morning/midday for the east coast doesn't look pleasant going by the following...

Would you expect some Friday morning flights to be cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

To be fair guys, it's not really for anyone on Boards to say whether or not flights will be cancelled. The charts aren't conclusive. All they can do is make an educated guess, at the moment it looks like it could go either way, so you would be better off keeping an eye on airline websites and news.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,202 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was just looking at the 5 day forcast on Met E, and the wind gusts do not seem to be nearly as strong as suggested by the charts here. Any thoughts, has the situation changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andyournameis

The media are really going to town on this storm.:cool: Anyone have any update to date graphs?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

looksee wrote: »
    I was just looking at the 5 day forcast on Met E, and the wind gusts do not seem to be nearly as strong as suggested by the charts here. Any thoughts, has the situation changed?
    The charts are showing different things. The ones here are mostly wind gust speeds, while other charts show average speeds. Some French vocabulary may help, since that French site gets used a lot: ;)
    • résumé -> summary
    • vent -> wind
    • moyen -> average
    • rafales -> gusts
    • eau précipitable -> rain
    • neige -> snow

P.S. keep an eye on the height of the winds on the chart. For surface winds, look for a height figure like 2m or 10m. If the chart says a number like "850 HPa" or lower, it's not showing surface winds.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭okatied

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

Wonder how likely a red warning is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Wonder how likely a red warning is?

I think at this stage it would require a big shift to the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I’m more concerned by the rain event in the south east on Saturday that I am about tonight’s storm. It’s looking like a wet one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Hooter23

It would not surprise me if this storm track shifts last minute...if the storm does not deepen as rapidly or deepens later than forecast...is all it would take to bring the storm closer to us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

The media are really going to town on this storm.:cool: Anyone have any update to date graphs?

the media need to be careful they don't hype it too much....otherwise if its a damp squib people won't take further storm warnings seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

I am in kildare and just got a text from child’s school saying that it is unlikely the school will open tomorrow and that they will make that decision this evening.
    We are only in an orange area , going by what people are saying here and the charts it definitely doesn’t look like school closers are needed just yet.
    The media are definitely ramping this up as someone else said if it doesn’t materialise you are at the risk of people not taking future warnings seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

harr wrote: »
    I am in kildare and just got a text from child’s school saying that it is unlikely the school will open tomorrow and that they will make that decision this evening.
    We are only in an orange area , going by what people are saying here and the charts it definitely doesn’t look like school closers are needed just yet.
    The media are definitely ramping this up as someone else said if it doesn’t materialise you are at the risk of people not taking future warnings seriously.

Better safe than sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

harr wrote: »

I believe Kildare is in the Yellow warning list.

I agree, over-hyping these events will lead to apathy.
    Storm Callum: South to southeast winds will gust to between 90 and 110 km/h. A spell of heavy rain will accompany the winds.
    Valid from Friday 12 October 2018 00:01 to Friday 12 October 2018 09:00

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cork airport TAF forecasting gusts up to 60 knots between midnight and 2am.strong enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

KingBobby wrote: »
    I have a 16ft trampoline in a fairly exposed location. I've nothing to tie it down to and at the moment i've been using 12x 20kg sand bags to secure it. It shifted a fair bit in the last storm so i'm a bit worried now for tonight. I just got another 5x 25kg bags. Should I get more?

Just disconnect the springs and remove the bed. You can fold that up and put it away for the winter. Without all that surface area the risk of it blowing away will be far less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

I have a 16ft trampoline in a fairly exposed location. I've nothing to tie it down to and at the moment i've been using 12x 20kg sand bags to secure it. It shifted a fair bit in the last storm so i'm a bit worried now for tonight. I just got another 5x 25kg bags. Should I get more?

Just move it to the neighbours garden. It'll be back in yours by tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Guys as was posted yesterday can we stay on the Storm, surely you can decide for yourself what to do around your house, this is just getting silly now.

I've a feeling I'll go to bed on an orange warning and wake up to red. So I'll bring the laptop home this evening just to be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Can you not just flip it over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Can you not just flip it over

I did that for Ophelia. Turned it upside down (obviously netting etc was taken off it) and put some sandbags on undercarriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Cork airport TAF forecasting gusts up to 60 knots between midnight and 2am.strong enough.

Hi,

Where can this be seen?
    I have 6AM flight from Cork, so want to keep an eye on as much as possible.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

What is the expected landfall time on the west coast Galway, West Conamara, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

What is the expected landfall time on the west coast Galway, West Conamara, thank you

Roughly around midnight, I passed Galway Docks this morning and the tide was nearly up to the top of the quay, the tides are currently very high so with storm force winds and a low pressure system flooding will be a major concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Does seem like maybe we could go to bed with one warning and wake up to a different one. Thankfully, my employer automatically closes on a red warning. The boss knew one of the people that died in the Ophelia so now he takes no risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Hi,

Where can this be seen?
    I have 6AM flight from Cork, so want to keep an eye on as much as possible.

Cheers

I cant comment on the 6am flight but the worst of the winds will have passed that area by then. the TAF will update at 6pm and again at Midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Neighbours house was quite badly damaged by trampoline in storm three weeks ago, smashed their window.

On a separate note - the storm three weeks ago for me anyway was beyond what I had expected; I'd actually say its the worst storm I've ever seen in terms of damage done, maybe the worse since Hurricane Charlie; and regardless of whether it was red or orange or yellow, I didnt really pick up much sense of urgency about it from Met Eireann or from the media before the event.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Can we have a technical discussion thread please, this is getting a bit silly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Neighbours house was quite badly damaged by trampoline in storm three weeks ago, smashed their window.

On a separate note - the storm three weeks ago for me anyway was beyond what I had expected; I'd actually say its the worst storm I've ever seen in terms of damage done, maybe the worse since Hurricane Charlie; and regardless of whether it was red or orange or yellow, I didnt really pick up much sense of urgency about it from Met Eireann or from the media before the event.

didn't think it was that bad? Trees suffered most as they still had their full head of leaves on them!

Advertisement