Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Callum - Thursday/Friday 11/12 October 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Darwin

Ah not really. Most weather experts are downgrading this storm because it's track is further west than first predicted by some models. This storm is certainly high profile in the media and while there were people calling for Red warnings on Monday/Tuesday, it just goes to show that we need to wait until much closer to the event to get an accurate assessment. MetE are saying max gusts between 100-130 in coastal areas which is what MT is also saying. The real risk from this storm is flooding during the high tides (e.g. Galway 8am) which could also cause traffic chaos. Just another wet and windy night otherwise.

To be fair, MT is giving 50-80Km/h in most non-coastal areas (not being critical of MT here either), but this is definitely not what met eireann are showing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

130 kph gusts are nothing to be sniffed at!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Am I missing something here what's this about Red warnings for next Monday and Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    130 kph gusts are nothing to be sniffed at!

Glass empty man i guess,i read that as 100kph

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Villain wrote:
    ECMWF has increased the Gusts on latest run, I really hope people heed the bloody warnings, I'm sure we will have loads of fools going, "Just another day of windy weather" crap!

Trying to figure out what time I'm gonna head to the coast, this should be exciting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

url

Would I be right in saying the stronger the low on the upper left becomes, the more it drags Storm Callum that little bit more westwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Nice here in Dublin, just cycled into work, breezy but not gusty, bright and warm for the time of year and perfect timing, rain later this morning clearing in the afternoon for the way home. Train tomorrow, since July Ive only had to get the train about once every 2 weeks.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Villain wrote: »
    ECMWF has increased the Gusts on latest run, I really hope people heed the bloody warnings, I'm sure we will have loads of fools going, "Just another day of windy weather" crap!

If there is no red warning, people will still go about their day as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Am I missing something here what's this about Red warnings for next Monday and Tuesday

I think that hurricane Michaels tail end is visiting us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Storm 10 wrote: »
    :D You're already looking for the next hit Storm10!

Where did you read/hear that?

We'll have 10+ red warning days a year the way things are going...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

If there is no red warning, people will still go about their day as normal.

Any possibility it can turn to a red warning looking at the charts or could it turn to red at a later stage ?

Only asking because if it goes red on wind I think we don't have to go to work......

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spoonerhead

Rush hour tomorrow morning looks rough, if anyone depends on rail, I would make alternate arrangements just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Anyone living on the coast, or that can see the sea from their home on the west coast, it always is a danger, winds hitting hard, cannot open doors, I opened a door in the middle of storm yrs ago, and could not close it, had to ask for backup, while holding back to door with all the force I could muster, that was the last time I went near a door leading out of home in a storm, it is far worse for those dwellers,

Anyone Know or have a good idea, when it will first hit the southwest coast

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Are there two storms coming, I'm looking a nullschool and there is a big one sitting mid Atlantic that seems to be slow moving. What's coming tonight doesn't look near as bad

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

goat2 wrote: »
    Anyone living on the coast, or that can see the sea from their home on the west coast, it always is a danger, winds hitting hard, cannot open doors, I opened a door in the middle of storm yrs ago, and could not close it, had to ask for backup, while holding back to door with all the force I could muster, that was the last time I went near a door leading out of home in a storm, it is far worse for those dwellers,

Anyone Know or have a good idea, when it will first hit the southwest coast

The only door here opens outwards; on a safety spring to stop it opening too far too fast . One day last year I opened it as a great gust hit; the spring sheared and before I could let go it dragged me at high speed outwards. Split second The door crashed against the wall and I was thrown off full length across the concrete, stopping with my head inches from a stone wall. I escaped with a long graze down one thigh. I have made a barrier between door and wall now.
    Never underestimate the sheer utter power of these winds.

west coast offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Ventusky has downgraded the wind speed and kept it well out to sea.
    It's also showing most of the winds dying down by 7 A.M although with some high gusts.
    Some coastal counties will obviously get a battering but it looks like Dublin will be fine.

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=51.4;-8.2;5&l=gust&t=20181012/07

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Any flooding expected near merrion gates D4??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

torres9kop wrote: »
    Any flooding expected near merrion gates D4??

Most likely not, the tide will be on it's way out. Worst chance is about 2/3am (before the wind picks up)

https://www.tide-forecast.com/locations/Dublin-Ireland/tides/latest

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm just a lurker here. Living in Kilkenny and so far we seem to have escaped the worst of the weather. But I love these threads, the amount of knowledge some of you have is staggering!

Already have the trampoline down, just to flip it later when I have some help. Little fella won't be in school. Hatches well and truly battened. Only concern is the husband driving a van between here and Waterford daily. I'm trying to persuade him to take Friday off, but don't think his boss will be having it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

I've a ferry from France to Cork on Friday night, is it safe to assume the storm will have passed by that stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

I've a ferry from France to Cork on Friday night, is it safe to assume the storm will have passed by that stage?

You can keep an eye on this site:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/marine/shipping-forecast

or here

https://www.bbc.com/weather/coast_and_sea/shipping_forecast

Biblical rain here since 8:30 this morning. South County Wexford

Edit: Just starting to ease off now. Very heavy downpour. Lots of surface water on the roads. Bí curamach!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Should've mentioned since last night the Irish ferries Swift has been docked right opposite the 3 areana in Dublin

Drove past it and was wondering, possibly this having something to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Ok I’m lost. Going by mt weather he hardly even mentioned a storm only windy tonight. Am I missing something as the media are gone mad

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

crusier wrote: »
    Are there two storms coming, I'm looking a nullschool and there is a big one sitting mid Atlantic that seems to be slow moving. What's coming tonight doesn't look near as bad

yes... tail end of Hurricane Leslie I believe.

MT's latest forecast indicates it will end up well south of Munster and not have a huge impact. see accuweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

donal.hunt wrote: »
    yes... tail end of Hurricane Michael I believe.

models can't accurately predict how it will affect ireland yet.

The storm in the middle of the Atlantic is Huricane Leslie (Cat 1)

Michael will not make an appearance in the Atlantic for a day or two

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Interesting to read some forecasts this morning down playing this one, ECMWF still shows over 130KMH on Coasts and up to 120kmh further inland.

Will be interesting to see what gusts are recorded tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Was surprised by MT's forecast this morning. Friday morning/midday for the east coast doesn't look pleasant going by the following...

ukgust.png
    ukprec.png

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Hi All,
    I'm flying home through heathrow tonight- on the 10.15pm flight to Cork.
    Is it pretty much a given that this flight will be cancelled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

mark_jmc wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I'm flying home through heathrow tonight- on the 10.15pm flight to Cork.
    Is it pretty much a given that this flight will be cancelled?

No, You're fine.

Advertisement