Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The left this, the right that..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Just as they have tempered the best successes of a purely capitalistic model.

We'll just have to disagree on which of those should get priority.

what would these be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    what would these be?

Get off. I'm not going down the proof proof proof route.
    I showed you the same courtesy. You know full well when you're not acting ignorant.

Get off. I'm not going down the proof proof proof route.
    I showed you the same courtesy. You know full well when you're not acting ignorant.

very poor memory here im afraid, im lucky to remember 5 minutes ago, no joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Opinions are like arses everyone has one but it does seem some want to put those who disagree with pc sensitivities like open border immigration into a particular box when in reality its basic common sense to oppose reckless immigration policies.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Just as they have tempered the best successes of a purely capitalistic model.

We'll just have to disagree on which of those should get priority.

I’d like to hear what you think we missed out on.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mutant z wrote: »
    Opinions are like arses everyone has one but it does seem some want to put those who disagree with pc sensitivities like open border immigration into a particular box when in reality its basic common sense to oppose reckless immigration policies.

Who wants open border immigration?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Cato the Elder

Mutant z wrote: »

It's far too common that people with sensible views are driven into the arms of the actual right-wingers and racists etc. It's been happening for the last few years.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage must be destroyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Brian? wrote: »

The likes of the IT and particular politicians just look at how they react whenever someone as much as suggests tighter immigration controls that says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Brian? wrote: »
    Liberal loonies like Merkel for one.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Liberal loonies like Merkel for one.

maybe we should put restrictions on things such as freedom of movement of individuals and maybe capital to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Left:
    From my perspective, the left (while not perfect by any means) want society to become more inclusive, and try and focus on the individual being able to be an individual, while the right tends to generally care about money and possessions first, not wanting other people to recognise their own individuality, whether that be not recognising gender spectrum, or gay marriage for instance. They want to keep women down (the lambasting the #metoo movement is especially bizarre, as we all know women who've been harassed at one time or another)

So, what's the attraction to the right? What do you get out of it? What am I missing?

Anyone who works for a living and whose taxes pays for the fanciful programmes of left leaning governments while struggling financially themselves to often achieve a lower standard of living than these programmes offer people who contribute nothing and take all the time understands the appeal of the right. Especially if you have a family.

See, I'm not a fan of feminism of old, but I am a fan of modern feminism.

There's many different branches of feminism today and to me, to say you liked feminism of old, but detest today's feminism sounds like, I like the Beatles, but I can't detest literally all music brought out today.

Why do you not accept there are more than two genders btw? In what quantifiable, meaningful manner would accepting that, affect your life in anyway?

What is modern feminism? It's like saying "I'm a Christian" while not specifying if you are in the Westboro Baptist Church or the Quakers or anything in between. The Westboro Baptist Church types in feminism are definitely setting the narrative in the media these days.

Politics aside, I think there are some people on here - far more than most other places on the internet - who constantly feel compelled to express the harshest and most uncharitable opinion possible, whatever the topic. It's almost as if they see being 'nice' as being indicative of weakness, of being a 'cuck' or a 'soy boy' (just two terms I've seen being used, without a hint of self-awareness, on this very website). I've no idea whether the cure is lots of hugs or a good kick in the bollocks.

"Soy Boy" is such a good term.

maybe we should put restrictions on things such as freedom of movement of individuals and maybe capital to?
    Capital to what??

There is already restriction of movement and capital.

No there isn't equality here.

We don't have equal amount of
    Female/male electricians
    Female/male nurses
    Female/male teachers
    Female/male members of boards
    Female/male carers
    Female/male stay at home parents
    Female/male TD's

Career guidance class 2030

Teacher : So Mary what would you like to do?
    Mary: I want to be a nurse
    Teacher: Ah that's nice Mary. I see there is a gender imbalance on the oil rig maintenance engineer front. We are down to 48% women. I have assigned you an apprenticeship there. You ship out tomorrow. Alternatively if you are prepared to undergo gender reassignment surgery we could probably get you into a nursing programme.

ELM327 wrote:
    There is already restriction of movement and capital.

Really? The restrictions on capital worked well during the crash, preventing things such as capital flight!

Really? The restrictions on capital worked well during the crash, preventing things such as capital flight!

Try and move capital when you're stopped by customs at the airport and you'll see capital restrictions.

Of course there is no restriction on EFT , aside from individual bank restrictions which generally tend to be €5k-€10k per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

But there are people who question hardline feminism yet do not want to keep women down.

There are feminists who hate trans people.

There are people with right-wing views who are atheists.

You are just presenting two polarised boxes whereas the reality is of a huge amount of cross fertilisation.

In general I am more to the right economically (but that doesn't mean I disagree with state supports - I completely agree with them) and more to the left socially - but I don't accept there are more than two genders, and while I loathe misogyny and adore feminists of old, I detest today's feminism.

I'm not anti immigration but it has to be limited.

I think there is too much abdication of personal responsibility and people need to look mostly to themselves for help (mostly; nothing wrong with asking for a helping hand).

I've always considered that I lean slightly left, but otherwise I agree with everything you've said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

nothing wrong with the centre

The only problem with being middle of the road is that you can get run over from either direction...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I like a bit of both.

For example I would be left leaning in general but would be very right wing when it comes to policing/sentencing etc.... We're way too soft on scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭siblers

See, I'm not a fan of feminism of old, but I am a fan of modern feminism.

There's many different branches of feminism today and to me, to say you liked feminism of old, but detest today's feminism sounds like, I like the Beatles, but I can't detest literally all music brought out today.

Why do you not accept there are more than two genders btw? In what quantifiable, meaningful manner would accepting that, affect your life in anyway?

Why aren't you a fan of old feminism? What don't you like about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Mexicans and blacks vote democrat.

People who get to the top in the politics world are almost always pieces of ****.

Do you really believe multi-millionaire white Democrat politicians really give a **** about Mexicans and blacks - or do they pander to them so they'll get their vote and as a consequence more power?

Conservatives pander to Christians. Democrats pander to minorities.

Currently they're doing divide and conquer and people are lapping it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭ArrBee

siblers wrote: »
    Why aren't you a fan of old feminism? What don't you like about it?

Perhaps it's not zany enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭cordy1969

Quite simple whats wrong with the world, when you break it down.

Why can the be a woman's only competition or event, but all hell breaks lose if you were to ever try and host a Men's competition or event.

Why is it ok to have a parade celebrating one's sexual preferences, but not acceptable for Heterosexuals to do the same.

Why is it accepted that the high income earners who work hard to succeed in life pay higher taxes than those who prefer not to work and expect others to support their lifestyle choices.

Men and women are different physically and not matter how much gender re assignment you perform there will always be differences. That being said there are always a few exceptions to the rule.

The lack of respect in society comes from the equality of sexes rubbish. The old days when the police had respect was because they were able to handle themselves and people were generally scared to not listen. Now you get the snowflake generation wanting equality across the sexes and no physical minimum requirements. So I ask you, do you want the 4 foot tall 100 pound unarmed police officer protecting you from a robbery/terrorist attack etc or do you want the armed 6 foot tall 225 pound officer protecting you.

We need more women in this and that? Why is the normal now? Why can't people simply be promoted based on their ability to perform roles instead of what sex they were born or reassigned.

Why do we teach the youth that participation is more important than winning or losing. All this does is create a generation of people unable to perform at a required level and when they fail they can not understand why. Life is hard and full of winners and losers the sooner society accepts that and teaches our youth and prepares them for what lies ahead the sooner we can move forward.

We continue to pander to minorities whilst ignoring the majorities.

Racism has become an absolute joke. The racism card is used for everything now. If you don't get the result or decision you hoped for scream racism till someone takes up your cause.
    The sad thing in todays society is that when the most discriminated and victimised person in society is a white heterosexual male who happens to be married, working in a high paid job, practises christian beliefs, drives a car, owns a pet and eats meat.

Let the trolls begin to tell me why I have offended you and should be hung and quartered.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭ArrBee

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    People who get to the top in the politics world are almost always pieces of ****.

There was an interesting concept in an Arthur C Clarke book I once read....

Basically, anyone seeking public office was automatically excluded as unsuitable.
    Instead people were randomly rotated into public roles (like jury duty) as it had been discovered that no one would ever do a worse job!

ArrBee wrote:
    Basically, anyone seeking public office was automatically excluded as unsuitable

Yanis varoufakis has a similar opinion, sounds like a good start

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

How about dudes just stop being dicks to women? It would solve a lot of problems.

You see this is ONE of the reasons people (incl some women) take issue with modern day feminism. Some women can be complete dicks to men too and to other women. In fact some men are dicks to other men.

Unfortunately some people are dicks.

The victim mentality among feminists today is intolerable.

modern feminists hate men, they hate transwomen, they hate other women that dont agree.
    I'm all for equal rights but this thing of men hating is not on. If men discriminating against women is out of line then the converse should be true too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭cordy1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTl4Gdx51W8

I'll just leave this here to show whats wrong with the world, when this becomes socially acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

ArrBee wrote: »
    There was an interesting concept in an Arthur C Clarke book I once read....

Basically, anyone seeking public office was automatically excluded as unsuitable.
    Instead people were randomly rotated into public roles (like jury duty) as it had been discovered that no one would ever do a worse job!

I don't want to be a politician...

...but if I was one I'd be a tyrant. First thing I'd do is send a hit squad out to kill all the crime gangs in Ireland.

So maybe Arthur C Clarke is being a bit naive. :D

Advertisement