Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas bonus for welfare recipients not only restored but increased

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Honestly if the dole is so great why isn't the unemployment rate higher.

You can't quit your job for the purpose of claiming JSB.
    You'll be laughed at & declined.

You must be new in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

You can't quit your job for the purpose of claiming JSB. You'll be laughed at & declined.

You can get a friendly doctor to say you have to leave due to stress.

No here all my life, thanks for the sarcasm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You can't quit your job for the purpose of claiming JSB.
    You'll be laughed at & declined.

If you quit intentionally you get a 9 week disqualification from claiming after that you will get jsb for 9 months depending contributions then transfer over to JSA indefinitely if you were that way inclined

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

You can get a friendly doctor to say you have to leave due to stress.

Which then won't be a JSB claim... it would be an illness benefit claim.

Which means you wouldn't be counted as unemployed because not being fit for Labour you aren't part of the Labour market anymore (hence why unemployment is so low in Ireland & we've a world leading level of permanent illness and disability)

You must be new in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,887 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

So what you're saying is alcohol is really expensive in Ireland. As the Czech Republic consumes the most alcohol per capita according to Google. I think Ireland is 7th.

I'm saying that for every head of the population including babies, €1300 is spent every year on alcohol.

• Advertisement

You must be new in Ireland?

Again your sarcasm was addressed. You really are coming across as a bit pedantic. If someone really wants to be on the dole it isn't all that hard. I'm just amazed considering how awesome a lifestyle it's painted as being that so many are in work.

I'm saying that for every head of the population including babies, €1300 is spent every year on alcohol.

Yet our consumption is lower than other European countries, you have just demonstrated how expensive alcohol is in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

If you’re on illness benefit are you entitled to it?
    yes
    No. I went on illness for a few months after my mother died. I literally fell apart. You only get the basic payment on illness. I applied for fuel allowance and was told it's not available, which made no sense to me. Surely if you're sick, you need heat? No HAP or christmas bonus allowed either. With illness you have to get a cert from the doctor once a week and hand it into your local office. You can only get illness for two years.

If you qualify for disability, you get all the extra benefits and don't have to get a doctor's cert each week. It's a lot harder to get though as you have to be assessed by a panel and they don't really like passing people.

I can tell you it was no joke living on my free €188 per week. I ended up two months behind in rent and only for I've a sound landlord I would've ended up in emergency accommodation. Thankfully I got a job and paid back all the arrears. I would take a career with prospects over life on benefits any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Op
    If you dont cate what we think, why post?

Personally have no problem with the increase or the bonus for that matter.

The mighty can fall you know and you or anyone you know might just be very grateful for any bit extra someday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Surely it'll be mostly money straight back into the economy even before the bells of NYE ring out.

It''s not like they're all tax-shy rock stars with Swiss/Dutch Antilles bank accounts, that this small amount will get wired across to for their next bulk buy of champers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

So much for the party for, "people who get up early in the morning to go to work".

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭hank scorpio89

For the record if you quit your job you literally have to say there wasent enough work/hours I was let go .That is as far as the welfare go they never check.so I suppose all the people moaning can just quit tomorrow?why not sure it's a great life ..I'm on a vtos payment I don't think I'll get a bonus as I'm only unemployed 6 months.wouldent begrudge someone it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think people don't understand that the annoyance is towards the wasters that don't want to work. There are plenty of them in this country. It's sickening to see somebody like that get a Christmas bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭bassy

selection boxes on you baby,yeeeeeeeeeeeee hawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww hoooo hooo hoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

eagle eye wrote:
    I think people don't understand that the annoyance is towards the wasters that don't want to work. There are plenty of them in this country. It's sickening to see somebody like that get a Christmas bonus.

Someone like what? Do you know the circumstances of everyone who is long term unemployed. FFS it's only one extra weeks payment at the most expensive time of the year. If you are unhappy quit your job next year you'll just about qualify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Don’t really have a problem with this as there is genuine people who have lost their jobs and that always happens.

It’s the long term moochers etc I have the problem with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

What % of the unemployed are long term moochers, would you say?

Almost all of the money goes straight back into the economy so its a double win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Don’t really have a problem with this as there is genuine people who have lost their jobs and that always happens.

That's the really big issue with this payment, its only for the long term unemployed as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It's time for euthanasia to be introduced, these people taking our tax money, they ll be taking our women and houses next, ffs, this has gone far enough now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It's time for euthanasia to be introduced, these people taking our tax money, they ll be taking our women and houses next, ffs, this has gone far enough now!

Women no, the rest yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

trixiebust wrote: »
    This.

Feck off begrudgers.

You mean feck off to the people who go to work ( and fund this bonus ), pay their tax and still have nothing at the end of the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Gatling wrote: »
    If you quit intentionally you get a 9 week disqualification from claiming after that you will get jsb for 9 months depending contributions then transfer over to JSA indefinitely if you were that way inclined

You wouldn't even get 9mths. You would be shipped off to turas nua after about 6 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

This. I have no issue with the payment as such. Its just that people on jobseekers allowance (longterm dole) get it. People who lost their jobs and were paying tax and are on jobseekers benefit while they look for a new job don't get it. That just isn't fair, they were tax payers, with their taxes going towards funding some of that money. They should get it too.

Not only that but if you were working in 2016 and on a low wage due to any circumstances and lost your job in 2018 you would be on €155 a week jobseekers . While the person who never worked a day would be on €198 a week

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Didn't know that. That's very unfair I think.

Its disgraceful .
    Lets say you worked for 10 years and paid taxes etc . For some reason you worked less or on a low wage €200-€300 in 2016 . Now in 2018 you sign on and your PRSI from 2016 is the one they take into account
    Your amount is reduced now to €155 becuase of low wage in 2016 regardless of what you earned any other year
    The one on long term in the meantime is still on €198 as they are not assessed on an income in 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 12,354 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Must be an election soon

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Nermal

Try_harder wrote: »
    Almost all of the money goes straight back into the economy so its a double win

This Keynesian twaddle is always trotted out. Why not quadruple the bonus so? We'll have the national debt paid down in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Everyone in the company I work for will be getting far in excess of 600. Small company only 210 working for it. Doubt we are the only ones though.

Bonus comes in April. Something to do with stock exchange rules.

McGaggs wrote:
    Bonus comes in April. Something to do with stock exchange rules.

The company I work for is not on the exchange. Totally private .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I am a full time carer for my disabled child and this bonus is a god send for the likes of me but I do understand people’s frustration with people that never worked getting the same money.
    I would love to get back working but for the foreseeable future that won’t happen.
    I have a neighbor who never worked a day in his life nothing wrong with him just lazy and the same for his missus. There house is paid for where as I struggle to pay a mortgage and struggling to keep a 15 year old car on the road. Yet he is swanning around in 2016 Mondeo. They both can afford to go to pub twice a week where I haven’t been out in months.
    So I can see people’s frustration with certain people getting it but tar all people who receive social welfare with the same brush.

Advertisement