Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things That Trivially Annoy You.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

TA that I can't get my poppy badge today

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

Still paying emergency tax even though I started this job the first week of September. So annoyed by all of this, and broke! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Heavy close weather. Ive a tension headache and clothes are clingy

Try_harder wrote: »
    Heavy close weather. Ive a tension headache and clothes are clingy

Bleh. Tension headaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Idiots driving with one light, cyclists without hi bud and lighting on country roads,oh and kept the best till last Leo the Langer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

TA with this dumbass company I'm going to have a job interview with tomorrow afternoon. Their website lists a Dublin address but has no branch locator, I've checked their social media Facebook, Twitter etc and left messages asking for their Galway address and have emailed the recruiter responsible for setting up the interview asking where the interview is going to be in Galway this morning and still no word back from him. Tried Googling about five pages to no avail. If I don't receive any info tomorrow its gonna be a no show for this interview.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

People reciting lists in the media, instead of just leaving it at the generic term. A classic example would be a politician saying something in reference to religion:

"...whatever your religion I]grand, leave it there[/I, whether you're Catholic I]here we go...[/I, Protestant...er...Jewish... I]he's panicking now, afraid of leaving one out and offending someone[/I...Muslim...erm...etcetera I]what a piece of luck that he's so informative, because I would never have been able to think of a couple of sample religions by myself[/I.

See also: counties, cities, sports teams...

It's not just interviewees, interviewers do it too. Pat Kenny was at it this morning in an interview with Dr. John Crown, where he mentioned "non-urgent surgical procedures, then helpfully gave a couple of examples, because listeners wouldn't possibly have known what he meant otherwise. This links neatly to another TA, interviewers talking too much because they either want to show off how much they know (Kenny again) or just can't bear the focus to be off them (e.g. Gerry Ryan) resulting in questions that are much longer than they need to be so that we spend too much time listening to the interviewer and not enough time listening to the interviewee, who is actually the reason we're listening to the bloody interview!

(Dave Fanning you can forgive, as with him it just seems to be down to infectious enthusiasm for the subject.)

Another media interview TA is use of slang for its own sake. Ooops Pat Kenny again.

Feck it, TL/DR: Pat Kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

TA with this dumbass company I'm going to have a job interview with tomorrow afternoon. Their website lists a Dublin address but has no branch locator, I've checked their social media Facebook, Twitter etc and left messages asking for their Galway address and have emailed the recruiter responsible for setting up the interview asking where the interview is going to be in Galway this morning and still no word back from him. Tried Googling about five pages to no avail. If I don't receive any info tomorrow its gonna be a no show for this interview.

I hope you're not travelling from Dublin to Galway for this interview. They sound like a bunch of messers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

The Team Hope shoebox was sorted here this evening, oh my dear Lord :(. Anyone else would cover a shoe box with wrapping paper no bother, but not Rubberlegs. I couldn't cut a straight line with the scissors to save my life. I lost the end of the sellotape a million times. I sellotaped one side of the lid shut and had to cut it open again. I had to do patch up jobs where the paper ripped/didn't meet properly. The result looks like it was done by a blind woman. Ah well, all worth it if it makes a little one happy :). Fcuk me, it makes me dread Christmas though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

The way that British guy pronounces "Amazon" on that YouTube ad for the Amazon.co.uk app really grates on me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Still paying emergency tax even though I started this job the first week of September. So annoyed by all of this, and broke! :(

That's total BS!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Day off so friends have announced they want to call over to give my husband his birthday gift and also to "hang out". No clue what this means, should I have nibbles for them? Or make dinner? Or order in? Or will they just be here for 5 minutes? Are they bringing their 1 year old? Should I quarantine the cat before he comes? Do I need to have food for him too?

Too many questions. I hate house guests. Ruining my day off.

Arrived at 2.30, left at 8.00. Had to order in. Their son is very cute but I am exhausted. Our house is not set up for babies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

What is it with people speaking like Rachael Allen.

U is pronounced O, its Stonning.....Bozzing......Fon

O is now OO, Mr Foogerty........Pooem

Speeek proper, ffs :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

selous wrote: »

The way she pronounces "honey" makes me want to smash the telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

selous wrote: »

U is pronounced O, its Stonning.....Bozzing......Fon

O is now OO, Mr Foogerty........Pooem

Speeek proper, ffs :mad:
    You're just jealous you're not posh :pac: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Having to pay car insurance. Granted it came down this year, and everyone's gotta pay it, but I hate seeing such a big chunk of money go out of my account :(

That's not right. If your employers have given in all the right documentation you should have received your tax back by now. Have you tried ringing revenue? I know they are a nightmare to deal with now because you have to set up a GovId but when my sister was on emergency tax they were surprisingly helpful over the phone. It turned out her employers were the problem and not revenue.

TA at emergency tax in general. There's no need for it. Most people don't fall into the higher bracket and with computers being as smart as they are these days, it shouldn't be hard to implement a system where by the computer knows by your income what tax bracket you are likely to fall into. It's just a scam to put all that money into an escrow account, which accumulates interest, which isn't returned to the tax payer. Where does that money go?

^^^ Above post reminds me of another bug bear - cheques. Why do they take 5 days to clear? It's not like the old days when computers didn't exist and one bank had to contact another to confirm the money was in the account. I can go to any bank with my pass card and withdraw money and they always know whether or not I have sufficient funds to make the transaction. Same with using my debit card - once the funds are gone, it's not going to work (I know there is some time delay with that but it's usually just a few hours, not 5 days).

I get paid by cheque which I lodge using a lodge ATM. The machine is smart enough to read the amount of money on the cheque. My boss is AIB. I'm BOI. In this day and age is there any reason for it to take so long to clear, apart from an interest money grab?

I'm actually going to post this in AH to see if the IT nerds have any insight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Trying to figure out when evening becomes night on RTE.Eileen Dunne on the 9 o'clock news,"Good evening,on the nine o'clock news tonight" and then at the end of the news,"Good night" followed by the weather presenter saying "Good evening".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    ^^^ Above post reminds me of another bug bear - cheques. Why do they take 5 days to clear? It's not like the old days when computers didn't exist and one bank had to contact another to confirm the money was in the account. I can go to any bank with my pass card and withdraw money and they always know whether or not I have sufficient funds to make the transaction. Same with using my debit card - once the funds are gone, it's not going to work (I know there is some time delay with that but it's usually just a few hours, not 5 days).

I get paid by cheque which I lodge using a lodge ATM. The machine is smart enough to read the amount of money on the cheque. My boss is AIB. I'm BOI. In this day and age is there any reason for it to take so long to clear, apart from an interest money grab?

I'm actually going to post this in AH to see if the IT nerds have any insight ;)

Takes 5 days to go through the cheque clearing cycle
    Day 1: Cheque lodged to payee's account
    Day 2: Cheque arrives in clearing system (for all banks)
    Day 3: Cheque presented on drawer's account. His bank need to make decision to pay or return unpaid.
    Day 4 or Day 5 (allow two days for post): If returned unpaid, cheque arrives back to wherever it was lodged and payee's account is debited.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

New Home wrote: »

You think that's bad, a friend of mine was the voice of the speaking clock in England, we needed a translator at times during our convos :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Housemate (demon) puts on 2nd wash of the day now at bedtime.

Grand for her up on the next floor.. SO glad I'm leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

New Home wrote: »

Its how she pronounces oven that gets to me ! She puts things in the of-in

northgirl wrote: »
    Housemate (demon) puts on 2nd wash of the day now at bedtime.

Grand for her up on the next floor.. SO glad I'm leaving.

Hope you've found somewhere else.

I can bé very good food wise during the day but my downfall is around this time every evening.. I'm now craving taytos/pringles/peanuts right now and I have them all in the cupboard.. Ive eaten a spoon of peanut butter and it seems to have hit the spot but I'm not sure it will keep me craving free for the night.. Kitchen pickers bigger knickers is my mantra tonight.. I bet I'll cave in..

Takes 5 days to go through the cheque clearing cycle
    Day 1: Cheque lodged to payee's account
    Day 2: Cheque arrives in clearing system (for all banks)
    Day 3: Cheque presented on drawer's account. His bank need to make decision to pay or return unpaid.
    Day 4 or Day 5 (allow two days for post): If returned unpaid, cheque arrives back to wherever it was lodged and payee's account is debited.
    I still don't understand why this process is so convulated. All cheques have digital ink which a computer can read in nanoseconds. If we can process debit and credit cards pretty much instantaneously, then why does it take so long for a cheque?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Why is your employer paying you by cheque in this day and age? That's the real TA

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Graham Souness is a bitter Scottish Gammon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Trying to figure out when evening becomes night on RTE.Eileen Dunne on the 9 o'clock news,"Good evening,on the nine o'clock news tonight" and then at the end of the news,"Good night" followed by the weather presenter saying "Good evening".

What fks my head is when commonly on news broadcasts you here Good Morning when its only 1pm. If its morning at 1pm then when is the middle of the night? 10pm if 1am is the morning

Why is your employer paying you by cheque in this day and age? That's the real TA
    Small business owner who finds it easier to keep track of his finances that way. Old school and I'm not going to rock the boat because he gave me a job when I had been out of work due to mental health issues. I'll bitch about the system but I have to say he's a good boss and I know I'll get a really good reference from him when I leave ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I still don't understand why this process is so convulated. All cheques have digital ink which a computer can read in nanoseconds. If we can process debit and credit cards pretty much instantaneously, then why does it take so long for a cheque?

The account information for cards is stored on the strip / chip. A cheque doesn't have that "link".

The clearing system has been the same for years. None of the banks will invest in upgrading it now given the decline in usage of cheques. It would cost too much for very little reward. There was a reason why the government increased the stamp duty to 50 cent per cheque - to dissuade people from writing them. Businesses still use cheques (some to buy time rather than doing electronic transfers which means the funds are gone instantly) but personal customer use has dropped off considerably. The cheque guarantee scheme is gone at least five years - the only time I write a cheque is to pay for school trips or the likes of music lessons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement