Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,301 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Mandalorians seem to serve an important role in the food chain for apex predators on this planet... I didnt see much else capable of sustaining dinosaurs!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

It's stuff like this and the woefully staged fight scenes that are making this all appear very amateur. There's plenty of opportunity for this to be Andor-esque, but it just seems like they're wasting it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There is a forest somewhere on the planet for the flying beast to have made it's nest out of branches. So there should be lots of other smaller beasts to eat around there... But flying beast decided to make its nest on the desert continent instead for some reason?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I would agree with the comments about the Mandos, they're just irritating now. But there's a real problem with the show in general. It's so lifeless and stilted at times, almost like the talky scenes are in slow motion. It's as if the actors are all given a hefty dose of xanax before they turn up for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,145 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I always feel the dialogue scenes are laboured, as if they are over explaining things for the viewer.

The episode when Mando went to Mandalore was particularly bad and amateurish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I still associate this show more with Star Wars and less with Rogue One / Andor so the show feels consistent.

The show this feels like it pairs most with is the animated: The Bad Batch. It's got a pretty good season 2 going on at the moment and has some dark scenes in it. Like..

torture with the Han Solo torture device rather than the Andor headphones.

It still feels to me that I'm able to distinguish between the Star Wars and Rogue One worlds as a bit separate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's probably not helping that the dialogue is supremely awful. It's perfectly perfunctory with the non Mando characters but everyone with a bucket on their head speaks like soemthing from a bad High Fantasy story. Dialogue was never Star Wars' signature but this show has taken a dive downwards; again, the pomposity of it all doesn't help an actor.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

The Bad Batch is the better show, in my opinion. Even the first season of TBB was better. Apart from Andor, the Clone Wars animated series have been the best things Lucasfilm have produced since Rogue One.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Sorry folks this has just gotten pure shite now. The grogu dart fight thing was cringe worthy and the bunch of clowns running out of jet pack fuel was beyond belief. Had to turn it off at that stage and not sure if I can face anymore unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

yea, thwt was annoying... also, how long did that dinosaur bird take to get to his nest, with 3 screaming hungry kids... and they did have to spend the night camping before climbing up....

and the kid was still alive... just rubbish....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well the good news is that apparently Andor was very well received by the general public. Now this won't impact this show but at least it won't stomp all over (The infinitely superior) Andor. Just as I was looking for an article on Andor I saw some of the reviews. Just out of curiosity I had a look at the 1-Star reviews. And they were exactly EXACTLY as one would expect:

• "...So it's basically like Disney wrote a show about people rebelling, and THEN slapped star wars logo on it."... EXACTLY (Except they meant this as a BAD thing)
    • "Not only that, let's throw in as.many oethnic actors as well to tick the box. In other words white actors must be in the minority."... I'm assuming this knuckle-dragger means "Ethnic"... Oooofffff. I got baaaaad news about him and the Mandalorian.
    • "The visuals are clearly to push an ideology."... Ahhhhh. The mythical "Agenda"...

Anyway. TLDR: While this is a cash cow for Disney (ALL that Baby Yoda merch), it seems there is still an appetite (Apart from the usual perma-outraged basement dwellers) for proper "grown up" Star Wars shows

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I would assume this show has a decent budget but this episode just felt very cheap or amateurish. From the alien costumes to the extras, such as those 2 engineers at the start. If some of those scenes were the best takes, I have to wonder how bad the others were.

I'm more interested now in what the X-wing pilot is noticing.

So will Mando go with Bo? Or is she getting a spinoff or occasional check ins from this series?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

A level of cringe and tedium I've not felt since...the last episode I'd say.

Good lord, that was supremely awful. It's like they're purposely trying to sink the show with mind-numbingly bad acting and dialogue (those scenes with the citizens of Nevarro - all 30 of them); 'scary' costumes that you would bring back to Mr Price because they were so crap; and telegraphed storylines that could be written by any Star Wars fan who can put two and two together.

They saved the best for last though. After the beskar alloy was found on the prisoner transport, the other NR guy (in between slurps of his milkshake) says "Wait! Are you saying that Moff Gideon was taken by...Mandalorians?" Nice work, Sherlock.

This is the way.

As someone who watched Rebels, I'm surprised I didn't cop on to the appearance of a main character in this weeks episode of Mando. Probably just wasn't thinking of it. Just saw it mentioned elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Say what you want, but I enjoyed that episode. The townspeople were definitely cringe but I just love a good Star Wars dogfight

3.5: This! is the way! 🙂

Ah to have disney's budget for special effects!

Liked the Cameo too! Nice nod to Rebels. Guessing there might be more!

Hmmmm...

Bo Katan just sent out to get other Mandalorians

The Mandalorians who used to be with her gone off working as mercs

Mandalorian armour fragment used to break out the Moff

Mandalorians vs Mandalorians again I guess. Though maybe the Dark Saber can unite them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Mandalorians vs Mandalorians again I guess.

Maybe

Boba has gone back to the dark side

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The street battles had a real "staged" feeling to them. I couldn't get away from knowing they were running around an empty set taking pot shots at each other whilst, outside the team, the rag-tag bag of "Baby, you got yourself a stew!"'s misfits did childish cheers.

Was the dialogue always this weak too? I can finish far too many of the sentences. It all seems kind of clunky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Awful

Obviously LeChuck and his merry band of crap pirates were gonna come back, and it was predictably dreadful. Corsair ship looked OK, bit everything else about this story thread is a result of a brain aneurism or something.

Think that might be it for me. Might revisit if I offhandedly hear its managed a Picard Season 3 level of resurrection in the remaining episodes but even the reintroduction of a certain, but ultimately, average villain isn't enough to peak interest. Not sure a Bo Katan show revolving around a more readily available actor on set is something that stirs the blood either.

Perhaps it shouldn't be a surprise given the overall quality of Disney's output, but I've found myself continuing to shake my head through each episode of this season questioning what the actual target audience is for this. Hopefully it'll turn around for those enjoying it, and a more focused and interesting narrative comes through, but for the time being, some other show deserves a shot at my free time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think the best to enjoy this show is to turn your brain off and just go with it. I agree the last episode was just so terrible and laughable but this episode was much better and I genuinely enjoyed it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Was the dialogue always this weak too? I can finish far too many of the sentences. It all seems kind of clunky.

Dave & Jon, you can type this sheet, but you sure can't say it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Knew it was Zeb as soon as he spoke, but Hera was the only character in Rebels that I thought was great, so I kind of didn't care that he was showing up. Ezra was always annoying, and I never cared for Kanan. Especially so after Preddie Prinze Jr.'s embarrassing rant in the run up to the release of The Rise of Skywalker.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Was not ready for that episode of the bad batch :(

Mandalorian is good but Bad Batch and Andor are just top tier

It was fine. And maybe making room for a more helmets off approach to Mandos. I know nothing about the lore but it was a good episode of TV for the casual viewer.

Oh! eh.. maybe.. hmmmm

something to think about for sure

This is getting like Book of Boba Fett where the parts not involving the main character are more interesting.

Now if only all the other Mandalorians had coloured armour to be the equivalent of Boba's mod squad.

Yes! Hot Damn! That was one of the best double episodes!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This was... better, but by no accounts "good". There's just no escaping this constant sense of tired, TV level energy to everything. The city battle lacking any sense of tactility, geography or pulse; the population a few extras standing around as their overlord - sorry, high magistrate - limply boosted morale. The super soldiers that are the Mandalorians not exactly Jedi, or Master Chief, or even Dinn himself in previous seasons. Who are they hiring to direct this thing - cos they really suck with the action.

The less said about the Sky Pirates the better. Utter wastes of space, and comically unthreatening. Who greenlit the captain? Cool design and puppet in another show - but not here.

What is it with Star Wars and its love of unelected authorities, speaking of the magistrate? And with the New Republic implied to be Clockwork Oranging people, there's an oddly anti-democratic streak in Star Wars when you look at it a certain way. Oh the Empire was bad, sure and it never tries to equivocate, but this universe loves its royal families and single rulers. Even the vaunted senate never actually gets shown to be working as intended. It's always either dysfunctional, or inept and drowned in bureaucracy.

It's not just you: the dialogue is fúcking awful stuff. "Perfunctory" if we're being charitable I suppose, but never funny, insightful, witty, tense, clever or anything beyond people standing around speaking their purpose. The fact they had the hologram play out not once, but twice, was just bizarrely sloppy too.

Advertisement